• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO F-Zero: Maximum Velocity out on Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pass March 28th

I know of mash button, but only works for vehicles good at turn. I tried use opposite shoulder button, but things went worse than regular turns, even inverted L and R buttons because of muscle memory, still no sucess. I searched on youtube, but only found videos about F Zero X, GX and 99. Guess I will stick to hot violet, wind walker and sly joker to try beat master class.

Drift is really tough to learn, took a ton of trial and error for me as well. i just saw videos of Jet Vermillion which is the slidiest worst turn vehicle of all and people were doing such clean turns off crazy curves it seemed like nonsense.

be sure when you're doing the drift to mash turn only near the end of the drift when you're turned the right way. that changes things in a major way.

the easiest place to practice where you'll see results is Bishop stage 1 which has a mildly weird curve near the end that's perfect for clean drifting. for a tough but very satisfying challenge area, Bishop stage 5 basically requires drift for effective high speed turning. you'll cleanly outpace the other racers practically every time on every major turn there once you have drift down.

i wouldn't recommend Hot Violet for beating Master, that's a really brutal one cause it's fairly slow with a very ineffectual boost. opposing racers can be running at near 500kmh compared to your 420kmh so acceleration doesn't mean much, a lot of it's on boost. Wind Walker is still solid enough comparatively.

Last edited:
I know of mash button, but only works for vehicles good at turn. I tried use opposite shoulder button, but things went worse than regular turns, even inverted L and R buttons because of muscle memory, still no sucess. I searched on youtube, but only found videos about F Zero X, GX and 99. Guess I will stick to hot violet, wind walker and sly joker to try beat master class.
Drifting in MV usually requires you to start the turn way earlier, and then switch to an inside turn about halfway through. Depending on which turn you're up against will depend on the one you want to use. It's not really a case of using one or the other, both compliment each other very well.
As for videos giving tips on the game, Custom-R makes a ton of F-Zero videos for each game, including analysis videos of each machine. If you want a quick rundown on machines' playstyles or if they're even good, I would recommend their stuff.

Then slow down a little bit if their turning are terrible they're probably good at acceleration

I realized I like how this game feels much more than 99 cause of drifting and speed retention existing. Wish they kept more of the improvements made to the series in sequels instead of just adding Boost Power and nothing else.

Drift is really tough to learn, took a ton of trial and error for me as well. i just saw videos of Jet Vermillion which is the slidiest worst turn vehicle of all and people were doing such clean turns off crazy curves it seemed like nonsense.

be sure when you're doing the drift to mash turn only near the end of the drift when you're turned the right way. that changes things in a major way.

the easiest place to practice where you'll see results is Bishop stage 1 which has a mildly weird curve near the end that's perfect for clean drifting. for a tough but very satisfying challenge area, Bishop stage 5 basically requires drift for effective high speed turning. you'll cleanly outpace the other racers practically every time on every major turn there once you have drift down.

i wouldn't recommend Hot Violet for beating Master, that's a really brutal one cause it's fairly slow with a very ineffectual boost. opposing racers can be running at near 500kmh compared to your 420kmh so acceleration doesn't mean much, a lot of it's on boost. Wind Walker is still solid enough comparatively.

Drifting in MV usually requires you to start the turn way earlier, and then switch to an inside turn about halfway through. Depending on which turn you're up against will depend on the one you want to use. It's not really a case of using one or the other, both compliment each other very well.
As for videos giving tips on the game, Custom-R makes a ton of F-Zero videos for each game, including analysis videos of each machine. If you want a quick rundown on machines' playstyles or if they're even good, I would recommend their stuff.

Thanks guys. I tried on Bishop track 5, sometimes did well on first turn, but on other turns, my vehicle just slam walls, and even when I totally let go of acceleration button, still slam wall. I just don't know what is wrong, maybe seeing commands on screen from someone doing this will help. I was using stingray by the way. I will see some videos on this Custom R channel later.

Thanks guys. I tried on Bishop track 5, sometimes did well on first turn, but on other turns, my vehicle just slam walls,

really great job getting that first turn down at all so fast, it took me such a long time to get the turning working on even that one. that track basically taught me drifting all on its own with the 3 major drift requirement turns.

i'd recommend keeping a save state of bishop stage 5 so you can get it down much faster, it's definitely the fastest place to improve and get the hang of it all. once you can make it past that stage cleanly, you can clean drift any stage in the whole game with even the fastest cars

you can see the drift done cleanly on stage 5 here (33:30)

should make the timing of when to start the drift and when to accelerate mash much clearer

Last edited:
really great job getting that first turn down at all so fast, it took me such a long time to get the turning working on even that one. that track basically taught me drifting all on its own with the 3 major drift requirement turns.

i'd recommend keeping a save state of bishop stage 5 so you can get it down much faster, it's definitely the fastest place to improve and get the hang of it all. once you can make it past that stage cleanly, you can clean drift any stage in the whole game with even the fastest cars

you can see the drift done cleanly on stage 5 here (33:30)

should make the timing of when to start the drift and when to accelerate mash much clearer

What your commands right before a turn? I was pressing opposite shoulder button, then press other shoulder + dpad in direction of turn. In this video with jet vermilion, these drifts seems different.

Edit: I think the correct is press L or R + dpad in opposite direction of turn, right?

Last edited:
What your commands right before a turn? I was pressing opposite shoulder button, then press other shoulder + dpad in direction of turn. In this video with jet vermilion, these drifts seems different.

Edit: I think the correct is press L or R + dpad in opposite direction of turn, right?

yes, the bolded is correct. it's holding dpad in the direction of turn and holding shoulder in the opposite direction to drift

basically you align yourself to turn properly early with drift, and once aligned let go of shoulder to start accelerate mashing towards the final direction you'll turn. it's what they do in the video for all of those turns.

you can use the shoulder towards turn only at the very end while mashing for some help with final alignment

Last edited:
Well, finished master circuits with blue falcon, this vehicle is more easier to do drifts. With other heavy machines, drift is more difficult, so I give up on try with these. Enjoyed the game, this game even make me back to play F Zero 99, and I even like 99 more now. Definitely want to check F Zero GP Legends now, I think will like this more than MV. Also, I have no idea F Zero series have much these tricks, I played F Zero GX many and many years ago, finished all cups on hardest difficulty, and I don't even know of snaking and other tricks. I think of play F Zero X now, never played that game.

Update on "drift quest", I came back to play more MV a bit, and finally got the drift right, at least on bishop track 5. The problem was don't pressing dpad in direction of turn when pressing opposite LR button, that make a huge difference in turning.

Update on "drift quest", I came back to play more MV a bit, and finally got the drift right, at least on bishop track 5. The problem was don't pressing dpad in direction of turn when pressing opposite LR button, that make a huge difference in turning.

congratulations!! learning drift is when the game really opens up cause all the slippery turn cars suddenly become high speed monster cars on corners

if you ever unlock Jet Vermillion either by the password or the normal way(all vehicles all cups on master) you'll get the real value. that car is the worst turning of all time yet fast as actual lightning and drift lets you keep max speed on all corners if done right.

i put in the password for JV early and it's some of the highest intensity racing i've had in any game ever, so much fucking fun

Back
Top Bottom