• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Extreme-G and Iggy’s Reckin’ Balls available now on N64 NSO

I’ll second iggy being a fun and surprisingly deep platform racer. Definitely start with training, there’s a surprising number of mechanics here

I'm not a Smash fan so I'm glad these dropped instead.

Would love Space Station Silicon Valley and Body Harvest, too.

Fair Warning: Iggy's Reckin' Balls only keeps your save if you have a Controller Pak, which means you have to use the NSO's Save States to keep your progress.

Unironically dig the way NSO sometimes replicates the "it's slim pickings in the Blockbuster on a Friday night and your mom's getting impatient but you're not going home empty handed so you just grab the first thing you see" experience
this is the greatest part of NSO and wholly justifies the subscription model in my mind

Unironically dig the way NSO sometimes replicates the "it's slim pickings in the Blockbuster on a Friday night and your mom's getting impatient but you're not going home empty handed so you just grab the first thing you see" experience
Extreme-G is literally that game for me. Parents rented it for me from the video store my older sister worked at, and I remember it well because my bedroom was being repainted, so all the furniture was out of the room except for a TV, a stand for the TV, my N64 and a Fisher Price chair, and I played it endlessly.

Yo, Extreme G, been asking for that for a while, I'll boot that up tonight. I've heard of Iggys wrecking balls but never played it, will need to try that too.

Would love Extreme G 2 eventually as well.

There's a few Snes games from Throwback Entertainment on the Snes app as well.

Absolutely love seeing more obscure games like this get brought back, and will online play to boot.

Last edited:
it's probably just because it is easier for Nintendo to publish it in Japan. It wouldn't be the first time publishers are different in different regions.
It actually would be the first time publishers are different in different regions on NSO like this, though—the only prior exception of which I’m aware is Super Tennis, which is published by Tonkin House in the Japanese NSO app but published by Nintendo elsewhere. In that case, though, it seems to be because the English version of the game is co-owned by Nintendo per the game’s copyright on the title screen, while the original Japanese version is not—which would explain why the game has different publishers in different regions, because “publisher” for NSO games essentially just means “current rights holder” as far as I can tell. (The only outlier in that regard is Quest for Camelot, which inexplicably has Nintendo listed as the publisher, despite Nintendo not actually owning any copyright to the game—it should be Titus and/or Warner Bros. listed as publisher, not Nintendo, so that’s another oddity alongside this Blast Corps situation.)

Might have to do with the name/ROM version. I can't find conclusive evidence (there's only one out-of-focus image of the back of the Japanese box), but "Blast Dozer" may not have been the version used on Rare Replay, meaning this could be the first time the proper Japanese version has been re-released since 1997.
Now this could potentially make some sense if it’s a situation similar to Super Tennis…but I don’t believe that’s the case because the game’s original copyright was the same for the Japanese version as it was elsewhere, jointly owned by both Nintendo and Rare. It would seem that full ownership of the IP was transferred to Rare (ultimately Microsoft, by extension) after the buyout, though, just like Banjo-Kazooie and such, so it is rather odd that suddenly Nintendo is being listed as the publisher for the game in Japan.

As good as it would be to have stuff like N64 Smash Bros and DK64 again, I'm all in for more obscure gems like these!

Oh wow I remember Extreme G being one of the titles bundled in with my N64 when I bought it second hand from Gamestation around 2007

It was actually a pretty decent racer from what I remember

Gives me hope we'll get Transformers: Beast Wars: Transmetals on NSO. Come on Hasbro!

images

An odd couple of titles, but good to see Nintendo drop two lesser known N64 titles at a time. I wonder if this puts Shadow Man and Forspoken on the NSO radar at all?

Edit - just realised Shadow Man is already on Switch as a Nightdive remaster. Fair enough.

Acclaim also published a bunch of GB/C titles, including versions of the Turok games unlikely to get a release elsewhere, so if Throwback have the rights to that stuff we could see them pop up in the GB/C selection, too. Hopefully this means we'll continue to see a slightly wider selection of third party titles; Mischief Maker, Mystical Ninja 64, Snowboard Kids and Space Station Silicon Valley remain at the top of my wanted list.

I used to rent Extreme-G all the time and having tournaments all by myself. It's not necessarily a great game, but boy oh boy do I have some great memories of it.
It also has a god tier ost.

Okay I wasn't familiar with these games but they look extremely exciting!!

Although, I am now 100% fully convinced there's a Donkey Kong game in development that Nintendo wants to release Diddy Kong Racing & Donkey Kong 64 alongside for maximum synergy because why hold them at this point?!

Small advices for eXtreme-G :

You can rebind all the controls and even name your profile by pressing R on the bike selection menu (the name entry is also the one where you put cheats).
  • In some tracks, you can drive through some red light. This is a speed boost. During this boost, you can't use a Nitro, BUT ! You can use a Nitro just before going through a red light to get a super boost.
  • If you get a great time during a Grand Prix, you can get a +1 bonus point in the leaderboard.
  • Your bike cannot explode (unlike the next XG games).
  • Your Shield gauge works like this : the more you have, the less speed you lose when you get hit.
  • You can move up and down in mid-air just like in F-Zero, but you can also force your bike to stay on the ground -as much as possible- when you go through a steep fall by pressing the stick forward.
  • The "Weapon" stat is just about your secondary weapon that can help a little bit to slow down other bikes.

I played a lot of XG3 on the GameCube, but skipped the N64 iterations.

NSO is frankly an amazing tool for exposing people to more niche games outside the normal comfort zone. I don't think anyone would buy these games on the virtual console for example
I do wonder though how many people even click on them or give them more than half a minute.

NSO is frankly an amazing tool for exposing people to more niche games outside the normal comfort zone. I don't think anyone would buy these games on the virtual console for example
That is why I love it so much. I don't think I would have ever tried/bought games like vice on the nes, win back and even wrecking crew 98, but now I can give them a shot and it turns out to be games that I really enjoy!

As long as we're listing obscure/different picks
My votes are definitely for Mischief Makers & Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Ogre Battle 64 would be awesome to see. Wonder Project J2 would be cool but there'd be no English translation on NSO sadly.

I do wonder though how many people even click on them or give them more than half a minute.
Way more Tham from selling these games piece meal. Way less friction with all the games in a single app you pay for. Obscure stuff like these games would require that people actually pay money separately first. Virtual console was just people buying a handful of the biggest games and ignoring the rest.

iconic in that I was intrigued by it since I was a kid but never got to try it 😎
Iggy was the game at Blockbuster that always had six display boxes each with like 5 rental cartridges behind them. I always looked at it with mild interest before moving on to renting Snowboard Kids for the 18th time.

Now this could potentially make some sense if it’s a situation similar to Super Tennis…but I don’t believe that’s the case because the game’s original copyright was the same for the Japanese version as it was elsewhere, jointly owned by both Nintendo and Rare. It would seem that full ownership of the IP was transferred to Rare (ultimately Microsoft, by extension) after the buyout, though, just like Banjo-Kazooie and such, so it is rather odd that suddenly Nintendo is being listed as the publisher for the game in Japan.
Looks like it depends on the games and how the original licensing agreement went. Since while Jet Force Gemini and Banjo-Kazooie listed Xbox Game Studio as the publisher, both Blast Corp and Goldeneye listed Nintendo as the publisher in Japan instead. So Nintendo might still hold the Japanese localization rights for some of Rare's games.

Iggy was the game at Blockbuster that always had six display boxes each with like 5 rental cartridges behind them. I always looked at it with mild interest before moving on to renting Snowboard Kids for the 18th time.
now you can do the same digitally through the power of Nintendo Switch Online 🫡

Looks like it depends on the games and how the original licensing agreement went. Since while Jet Force Gemini and Banjo-Kazooie listed Xbox Game Studio as the publisher, both Blast Corp and Goldeneye listed Nintendo as the publisher in Japan instead. So Nintendo might still hold the Japanese localization rights for some of Rare's games.
I’m not sure that’s really the case here, because this article on Nintendo’s website for the game’s Japanese NSO release lists Microsoft as the sole copyright owner for that version at the bottom of the page. If Nintendo still retained partial ownership over the Japanese version due to the localization, then wouldn’t the copyright also list Nintendo for that version, too?

Also, GoldenEye 007 has Nintendo listed as the publisher in all regions, not just Japan, so there’s no discrepancy there like there is with Blast Corps. I believe that’s because Nintendo actually retained ownership of the game itself after Rare’s buyout, unlike most other non-Donkey Kong Rare games, probably because it wasn’t actually an IP owned by Rare in the first place; Nintendo owns the game code itself, while the James Bond IP is obviously licensed from its rights holder. That’s how I understand it to be, at least, and it explains why there hasn’t been a rerelease of the N64 GoldenEye 007 until recently without Nintendo’s involvement.

Gave Iggy's Reckin' Balls a try for just over an hour, beat two of the tournaments in that time. A very... interesting game, to say the least. Not as bad as first apperances give off, although it certainly has its fair share of 90s jank and design flaws.

Considering how the VC got retired for bombing so badly (a lot of wii u and some 3ds VC stuff in japan got double digit sales) almost certainly way, way more even if it’s a quick play. There’s a reason systems like GB, GG and GBC on 3DS died quickly so Ninty could just throw out the same boring NES games again

And this is exactly what I hope nso will continue to deliver.
Extreme G is such a deep cut it’ll take you arm off.
Now there’s hope for the likes of Hydro Thunder
god i fucking wish we got Hydro Thunder
Considering how the VC got retired for bombing so badly (a lot of wii u and some 3ds VC stuff in japan got double digit sales) almost certainly way, way more even if it’s a quick play. There’s a reason systems like GB, GG and GBC on 3DS died quickly so Ninty could just throw out the same boring NES games again
shit is there a source for sales being that low? double digits is fucking crazy

I genuinely think the NSO is kind of overlooked in this regard. The drip-feeding is frustrating, especially when the two games we get a month (max) are things nobody would have never asked for, but it's starting to accumulate a really wide library of both all-time classics and hidden gems. If you really dig into the service, you get really good play value out of things you likely never would have tried before. The fact that not a single game, to my knowledge, has left the service in its 6 years of existence is also remarkable. I'd argue it's gradually becoming a better value than Xbox Game Pass at this point. I hope the NSO library carries over to Switch 2, because if it keeps on expanding like this, it's going to be one heck of a service.

I genuinely think the NSO is kind of overlooked in this regard. The drip-feeding is frustrating, especially when the two games we get a month (max) are things nobody would have never asked for, but it's starting to accumulate a really wide library of both all-time classics and hidden gems. If you really dig into the service, you get really good play value out of things you likely never would have tried before. The fact that not a single game, to my knowledge, has left the service in its 6 years of existence is also remarkable. I'd argue it's gradually becoming a better value than Xbox Game Pass at this point. I hope the NSO library carries over to Switch 2, because if it keeps on expanding like this, it's going to be one heck of a service.
With the inclusion of sega genesis.
I think the smartest move that Nintendo can do is making NSO the most comfortable place to play older retro games, some being niche, some classics and some hidden gems. Since your average consumers is unwilling to spend 10 dollars for a 20+ year old game, but with a subscription service they’re willing to at least try it out. And with that it’s easier to make the game selections permanent for NSO

Like for me I think we’ll see Nintendo switch releases NSO between each retro consoles every 2-3 weeks.
Like the switch 2 might get
  • Dreamcast
  • GameCube
  • Wii (in its final stages)
Meanwhile the switch might get
  • DS
  • Sega mega drive
Like NSO has potential of being the best valued gaming subscription service if Nintendo continues their path's.

Like for 50 buck you get (where I live it’s 43 USD)
  • Nes
  • Snes
  • Gameboy and gameboy color
  • Gameboy advance
  • Sega mega drive
  • N64
  • Couples of DLC
  • Online play
Which isn’t that bad,
Meanwhile Sony essential for 80 dollars offers you
  • Online play
  • 3 mediocre monthly games

shit is there a source for sales being that low? double digits is fucking crazy
I dunno about double digits sale number, but Nintendo did put out yearly Top 15 3DS eShop chart in Japan from 2011-2020, and the only VC releases that make the chart are pretty much Nintendo games like Pokemon and Mario. Though this is more indicates of how low digital sales on 3DS were considering the best selling 3DS Japanese eShop title in 2016 was Pokemon Yellow.

I dunno about double digits sale number, but Nintendo did put out yearly Top 15 3DS eShop chart in Japan from 2011-2020, and the only VC releases that make the chart are pretty much Nintendo games like Pokemon and Mario. Though this is more indicates of how low digital sales on 3DS were considering the best selling 3DS Japanese eShop title in 2016 was Pokemon Yellow.
Yep, this is why subscription model is here to stay and buying ala carte is dead. Very few people were buying ala carte, and what they were buying was the same dozen games over and over and over again. Look at how many people on various social media sites instantly dismissed these two games they'd never even heard of or tried. As someone who has played and would recommend both titles, I'm not sure I would have dropped $5-$10 to buy these titles on my Switch. More NSO+EP gamers probably tried at least one of these two titles then would have bought them on the Wii and WiiU eshops combined during their hay day.

Yep, this is why subscription model is here to stay and buying ala carte is dead. Very few people were buying ala carte, and what they were buying was the same dozen games over and over and over again. Look at how many people on various social media sites instantly dismissed these two games they'd never even heard of or tried. As someone who has played and would recommend both titles, I'm not sure I would have dropped $5-$10 to buy these titles on my Switch. More NSO+EP gamers probably tried at least one of these two titles then would have bought them on the Wii and WiiU eshops combined during their hay day.
I never, ever want to go back to VC. So often on the Wii and Wii U I felt like I had to choose to buy classic games instead of new releases. Now they are just a nice supplement I pay $10/year for! What a country!

I do think there is value in the sub model and the ala-carte model existing in harmony, just have to have it so that neither cannibalizes the other which I think has always been Nintendo's primary concern.

The idea that once people get their select number of games they'll just unsub, while the ala-carte sticker price doesn't justify the loss of a yearly sub. Or that the cost in doing an ala-carte release (I have no idea how little or much) it wouldn't be recouped as some games.... really are not worth buying even at lower prices. (Looking at you Quest for Camelot.)

I'm sure corporate has been debating these points throughout the whole Switch life cycle.

Back
Top Bottom