• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Extreme-G and Iggy’s Reckin’ Balls available now on N64 NSO

Never would have guessed they’d go get Acclaim games.

Sorry I mean “Throwback” games. I see those box art edits…

I....what. I didn't have this on my bingo. It's a welcome surprise for sure. I am all for lesser known titles being released. And two at the same time. Really cool!

Holy shit, Extreme-G? I'm pretty sure I've jokingly asked for that game to come to this service in the past, but wow, I sat up straight when I saw this announcement.

I've never played either, so getting the opportunity to do so through NSO is what makes the service really worth it and valuable for me. Well, it's one of many reasons, but yeah! This is awesome!

Holy shit, Extreme-G, that's some blast from the past! Never played the N64 games but I had the Gamecube one (third one, I believe). Whoever made this possible, can you remaster that third game as well?

Wait whaaaa. Guess third parties are back on the table(I mean despite the doubts always were). Hoping for some Konami/Hudsonsoft goodness next!

I know people like to bash it, but the N64 third party lineup has some really fun and weird experimental stuff. Both of these are pretty fun!

Give me wetrix and chameleon twist!

As for Iggy’s, it looks like it might also be a fun time.

So what's the holdup with Smash 64, do we think? It came to Wii VC, but skipped Wii U VC. Are there some licensing issues somewhere, or even just things like getting HAL/TPC's stamp on it that complicates things? (or do we think they don't want everyone trying the online again and realizing that it's still not ideal for many players on the 64's NSO app specifically)

Acclaim obviously doesn't exist anymore, buy the company's name and logo were bought by another company in the asset fire sale after they went bankrupt. It may have had an impact on this?

Acclaim obviously doesn't exist anymore, buy the company's name and logo were bought by another company in the asset fire sale after they went bankrupt. It may have had an impact on this?
I looked it up, apparently “Throwback” is literally the name of the company that bought up the rights haha

I also looked up what else they could get for this service. Turns out: not much! The rest of Acclaim’s N64 output was mostly sports, licensed stuff (namely South Park) and Turok (which was remastered by Nightdive)

So what's the holdup with Smash 64, do we think? It came to Wii VC, but skipped Wii U VC. Are there some licensing issues somewhere, or even just things like getting HAL/TPC's stamp on it that complicates things? (or do we think they don't want everyone trying the online again and realizing that it's still not ideal for many players on the 64's NSO app specifically)
we have had both Kirby and Pokemon games on NSO so that's not it

OMFG Extreme G let's goooooooo!!!

Knew they would get these two at some point. Bring on all the weird N64 games please!

Edit: kinda weird that they made it in before any Bomberman games but that's Konami for you I guess lol

Is this the first time Throwback released something on NSO? What else do they have? I remember someone mentioning they were the ones owned Aero 1-2...

Eh, aren't we now getting a more consistent releases, because with the inclusion of third party, wouldn't that mean we'll see more game releasing for all platform each month (like 4-10 games)

Since we got F zero, Snes games and now N64 games in a span of a month. Or am i miss remembering the game releases.

I looked it up, apparently “Throwback” is literally the name of the company that bought up the rights haha

I also looked up what else they could get for this service. Turns out: not much! The rest of Acclaim’s N64 output was mostly sports, licensed stuff (namely South Park) and Turok (which was remastered by Nightdive)
didn't fully realize that happened. It is weird now though, looking at the boxart in the NSO APP only to see the Acclaim Logo erased and be replaced with Throwback. I still have some hope for Turok to show up on the service though. They have other remasters/rereleases on the service with Wild Guns and the Contra/Castlvania games on the Genesis.

Unironically dig the way NSO sometimes replicates the "it's slim pickings in the Blockbuster on a Friday night and your mom's getting impatient but you're not going home empty handed so you just grab the first thing you see" experience

These are some primo "never played them, would never buy them, but since they're on NSO I'll definitely check them out for at least 20 mins" games
As long as we're listing obscure/different picks
My votes are definitely for Mischief Makers & Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Rocket is like my pipedream for NSO at this point

I wonder who has the rights to that these days. If it's Sucker Punch (the developer) it's probably a lost cause, but if it's Ubisoft (the publisher) then maybe there's some hope

The “holdup” is likely the same as other notable missing games like Donkey Kong 64—Nintendo is simply saving it for later. They’re gonna want to space out the last remaining first-party games rather than dump them all at once and be done with it.

Iggy's Reckin' Balls is one of those games that was really iconic to my childhood and I have absolutely no idea why. The announcer saying "Iggy's Reckin' Balls!" is burned into my brain better than the faces of some of my relatives.

Man, of all the games for the NSO I never guess extreme g would come over.

Please do not skip this game, plus it has an amazing soundtrack.

So…can someone who knows shit tell me the odds on Quest 64 showing up? It feels like they are just going to dump all of the games that nobody rented from my Blockbuster on NSO.

Holy crap Extreme G?!?! We're getting to the old school arcade racers on N64 NSO now!

Never heard of the second game though.

Since Acclaim has been defunct for a long time (RIP) it does show that Throwback Entertainment is the reason why these are now showing up.

Last edited:
Cover of one of the earliest video game magazines I bought:

jezl6hui.jpg

So I have been playing a bit of Extreme G, and so far, I am really loving it. I think I am enjoying it more than F-zero X, though that might be because of the weapons/pickups in the game. Its just feels so good.

Would any of these be fun with friends? In a pick up and play type of way, where we can have fun/laugh right away without knowing the game’s intricacies

Quoting myself from the NSO+EP thread:
Interestingly, the Japanese N64 NSO app lists Nintendo as the publisher for Blast Corps, not Xbox Game Studios… This isn’t the case for other Rare games on the Japanese app like Banjo-Kazooie, either. So…what’s up with this??

GzCnYKO.jpeg
ObsqzQ1.jpeg
zVHcbJG.jpeg
HByNDqo.jpeg
What’s going on here?? Is this just an error, or what…?

Extreme-G looks cool. Definitely will try it out later.

That Iggy game was always available in my old Blockbuster but never actually rented it. Trailer actually makes it look fun, so guess it's time to finally try it out.

it's probably just because it is easier for Nintendo to publish it in Japan. It wouldn't be the first time publishers are different in different regions.

Quoting myself from the NSO+EP thread:

What’s going on here?? Is this just an error, or what…?

Might have to do with the name/ROM version. I can't find conclusive evidence (there's only one out-of-focus image of the back of the Japanese box), but "Blast Dozer" may not have been the version used on Rare Replay, meaning this could be the first time the proper Japanese version has been re-released since 1997.

God Extreme G slaps so goddam hard! I can't put this game down. best addition since Wave Race

go ahead and tip that barrel all the way over already nintendo

Give us more of the good shit!

Back
Top Bottom