• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Exputer claiming Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is getting a Switch remake launching this summer

Metroid Prime was the best selling Metroid game for almost 20 years until Dread (if we’re comparing GameCube games, sold more copies on TTYD too; and of course more than Uprising and every Fire Emblem before Fates). Still the most critically acclaimed title of the series too.

I love F-Zero, but it and especially Golden Sun are not on the same level as Metroid Prime.
Thank you for the correction. My mistake.

The rumor is logically sound at least; in that Monolith likely have another project in production already. The number of staff credited on Xenoblade 3 leaves plenty unaccounted for; plus Koh Kojima isn't involved with Xenoblade 3’s story DLC (he stuck around for Torna), and Yasuyuki Honne isn’t credited on Xenoblade 3 at all, two major figures for Baten Kaitos.

It does make you think though; if this rumor and the F-Zero one are true, what did that investor know… Maybe Wario Land, Card Hero, The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls and Chosoju Mecha MG will show up in the rumor mill soon :)
I remember an investor asked for Famicom Detective Club a few months before the official Japanese announcement as well.

For F-Zero GX there is also the fact it aged wonderfully and literally just need to be put HD, is a "easy" project, even if the series is dead basicallt

Not gonna lie, kinda worried about the remastered implementation of prerendered backgrounds. There are games that made the perfect transition (Resident Evil 1 remake, Secret of Mana, SaGa Frontier), and there are some who didn't (FF8 remaster, Chrono Cross). I can't tell which group BK will fall into.

Not gonna lie, kinda worried about the remastered implementation of prerendered backgrounds. There are games that made the perfect transition (Resident Evil 1 remake, Secret of Mana, SaGa Frontier), and there are some who didn't (FF8 remaster, Chrono Cross). I can't tell which group BK will fall into.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see, especially if they done for both BK and Origins in a remastered pack, like Klonoa

They should translate the backgrounds into 3d to avoid the problem

The thing about Namco remasters is that it depends on the scope, as much as low Budget Klonoa and Pac Man where, they did a very good job and stick with an improved og as much as they could (they tried everything to make Klonoa Wii more like Klonoa Ps1)

Considering this will have a higher budget probably, everything is possible, it depends on how much work is involved and if they have to work on Origins or not

Honestly it's sad that Baten Kaitos Origins came out on the dead Gamecube just a few months before the Wii, because it's actually a very good game that improves on the first in many ways. But hardly anyone played it.
Doesn't help that it didn't even release in Europe.

Assuming it's actually real I can't help but wonder whether they'd go for a 3D reimagining or keep the pre-rendered background aesthetic.

I also know next to nothing about BK but I'd love to see it happen regardless, those backdrops people post when talking about the game's visual look stunning!

Assuming it's actually real I can't help but wonder whether they'd go for a 3D reimagining or keep the pre-rendered background aesthetic.

I also know next to nothing about BK but I'd love to see it happen regardless, those backdrops people post when talking about the game's visual look stunning!
Either way would work for me but something tells me they will go for a full remake.

I'm hoping they go with the prerendered backgrounds. We need more of these in games these days, and Fantastian showed just how gorgeous they can still look today!

Prerendered backgrounds or not, i'm fine with anything.

Though if they could put Origin's improved battle system to the game, now that would be ace.

They should translate the backgrounds into 3d to avoid the problem
That would increase the scope of these remakes like tenfold. The original game had some very detailed background art, 3d equivalent of that might be over Switch technical limits. But I'd love to see them try. These remakes had been rumored for some time now, Namco created much better looking games even in less time than that.

I know basically nothing about Baten Kaitos, but could this be the 3D action game Bandai's working on? From what I gather it's a Namco IP but maybe Nintendo was like "Hey if you wanna remake this, we'll fund it" or something
Looking at the gameplay, maybe they're reworking it so it counts as a 3D action game?

I know basically nothing about Baten Kaitos, but could this be the 3D action game Bandai's working on? From what I gather it's a Namco IP but maybe Nintendo was like "Hey if you wanna remake this, we'll fund it" or something
Looking at the gameplay, maybe they're reworking it so it counts as a 3D action game?

it's essentially an atb system with cards so that would be a pretty significant change

that leak also mentioned 3d backgrounds and Baten Kaitos had prerendered ones

That would increase the scope of these remakes like tenfold. The original game had some very detailed background art, 3d equivalent of that might be over Switch technical limits. But I'd love to see them try. These remakes had been rumored for some time now, Namco created much better looking games even in less time than that.
being static objects allows them to utilize tricks to reduce the load. merged objects, prebaked lighting, alembic clouds, etc. I can see them being able to render the backgrounds without coming close to the limits

Don't get my hopes up, I loved that game :cry:
It was gorgeous and from what I remember the characters, world and story were all quite memorable (even though it's been a while). That plot twist though!
Sadly I never played the sequel but I would absolutely be up for a remake.

And while the card mechanic was (at least initially) not well received back then if I am not mistaken, right now feels like a great time to bring this kind of gameplay back with many similarly playing indie games enjoying great success (here's looking at my 160+ hours put into Slay the Spire).

I guess this means Harada is full of shit when it comes to the Xenosaga trilogy being unprofitable.
very much an incorrect conclusion. Bamco wouldn't be financing a BK remaster, Nintendo is. and Nintendo would have different goals for it than Bamco would have for Xenosaga

Xenosaga case is probably a ton of factors and that one thing that could solve if Nintendo wants to do it. But I just can’t see themselves wanting to work/pay on a game that is actually 3 games in total and pay extra to keep it exclusive. They have their own Xeno series that’s pretty successful already.

Plus Xenosaga would probably need a remake more then a remaster.

Just. Too much against it. Could they make it work? Probably, but I just don’t them putting the time and money on something they ultimately don’t own any of it.

I could be wrong. Monolith Soft is fond of their past projects by adding them and referencing them. But I do wonder if they actually want to work on Xenosaga, it had a rough development that series. Might be they just moved on.

very much an incorrect conclusion. Bamco wouldn't be financing a BK remaster, Nintendo is. and Nintendo would have different goals for it than Bamco would have for Xenosaga
Harada literally wanted Monolith Soft to make the games. If the Xenosaga remasters were developed by them then they would need the green light or funding from Nintendo. Just like this rumor claims for BK.

Harada literally wanted Monolith Soft to make the games. If the Xenosaga remasters were developed by them then they would need the green light or funding from Nintendo. Just like this rumor claims for BK.
And Nintendo, Takahashi or whoever doesn’t want to do it. Honne, Nintendo don’t mind doing BK. It’s not about anyone being full of shit.

Maybe Nintendo is willing to foot the bill for Baten Kaitos, but not for Xenosaga. It is perfectly possible.

Or perhaps Harada/Bandai Namco made some demands regarding the Xenosaga remaster that don't apply here. Who knows.

and Nintendo isn't going to spend money on the games if Takahashi doesn't want to do it. but Honne wants to do Baten Kaitos, with is fewer games and standalones at that. easier for Nintendo to greenlight that

and Nintendo isn't going to spend money on the games if Takahashi doesn't want to do it. but Honne wants to do Baten Kaitos, with is fewer games and standalones at that. easier for Nintendo to greenlight that
For that matter didn’t Honne make most of the physical art for the pre rendered backgrounds himself? That time gap between this and his last involved project makes sense if he’s been restoring and making replacements for missing assets. Also makes this very different from most remakes with the fact it’s a lot of practical art from one person

Honestly I suspect the biggest thing working against Xenosaga is that Takhashi and Soraya might not want to go back to it. In Takahashi's case, that project was immensely stressful and pretty demoralizing for Monolith. I can see him not wanting to go back to that. Soraya, meanwhile, caught a ton of abuse from Xenosaga fans during the staff shifts between episodes 1 and 2, with some even spreading rumors of her commiting suicide. I wouldn't want to touch Xenosaga with a 100ft pole after something like that. All of this is also ignoring that they already have a commercially and critically successful series in Xenoblade to work with.

In contrast, I can see Honne being a lot more willing (and even excited/passionate) about going back to Baten Kaitos. He seems to have really enjoyed the games and even had ideas for a third game listed in an old interview.

Takahashi has some Xenosaga paraphernalia on display on shelves in his house/office. Some of you are making it sound like he detests it lmao

ANYWAY this thread isn't about Xenosaga, it's about Yasuyuki Honne (hopefully) making another game after creating assets for cartoon animals and squids for years! Shoo shoo!

Takahashi has some Xenosaga paraphernalia on display on shelves in his house/office. Some of you are making it sound like he detests it lmao

ANYWAY this thread isn't about Xenosaga, it's about Yasuyuki Honne (hopefully) making another game after creating assets for cartoon animals and squids for years! Shoo shoo!
Not to mention Monolith Soft tend to put KOS-MOS in a lot of their games or make reference to her in Xenoblade. And I would assume he still has a friendly relationship with Harada since he does occasional interviews with him.

Takahashi's wife, Soraya may be a different story though.

Takahashi doesn’t make all the decisions. Nintendo and Soraya will too on this. But call Harada full of shit is the usual overreaction. Think before you post

Eh, before Xenosaga, I would prefer if Nintendo let Soraya Saga make a Soma Bringer remake.

Should be much easier and actually much better since Nintendo doesn't really have a Diablo-like series.

Eh, before Xenosaga, I would prefer if Nintendo let Soraya Saga make a Soma Bringer remake.

Should be much easier and actually much better since Nintendo doesn't really have a Diablo-like series.
I don't know that she'll come back to game dev, but I'd love to see Nintendo fund her old Titus 12 pitch.

Please be true...
Baten Kaitos has the best card battling system ever made and the combat music was amazing as well.
If this gets a remake plus the rumors of Kid Icarus Uprising then Switch is cemented as the best Nintendo console for me.

The rumor is logically sound at least; in that Monolith likely have another project in production already. The number of staff credited on Xenoblade 3 leaves plenty unaccounted for; plus Koh Kojima isn't involved with Xenoblade 3’s story DLC (he stuck around for Torna), and Yasuyuki Honne isn’t credited on Xenoblade 3 at all, two major figures for Baten Kaitos.
Actually, speaking of which, was Honne credited on Splatoon 3? I remember Monolith Soft Kyoto got sent to the Squid Game mines for a while, and IIRC Honne works with the Kyoto team. If he’s not credited for Splatoon then I’m definitely inclined more to believe he’s working on something else, which could totally be a Baten Kaitos remaster or remake.

Actually, speaking of which, was Honne credited on Splatoon 3? I remember Monolith Soft Kyoto got sent to the Squid Game mines for a while, and IIRC Honne works with the Kyoto team. If he’s not credited for Splatoon then I’m definitely inclined more to believe he’s working on something else, which could totally be a Baten Kaitos remaster or remake.
He left Kyoto officially for the Tokyo branch a few years back I believe

He left the Kyoto Studio in 2018 (not Monolith Soft period though); and has since only gotten a original staff special thanks credit on Xenoblade DE.

Loved this game back when I played it when it launched. Amazing soundtrack and fun gameplay. Sadly I never played BK: Origins. I really hope this rumor is true.

He left the Kyoto Studio in 2018 (not Monolith Soft period though); and has since only gotten a original staff special thanks credit on Xenoblade DE.

Probably for the original clay models he made for Bionis and Mechonis

Also if this ends up true, they have to do a Origins remake too.

If you're already jamming to BK 1's Chaotic Dance wait until you listen to Origin's Chaotic Dance.

Indeed. I still think a third game and release of the whole trilogy -- unleash the series unto the world!

But really.
Look at what Honne had said in 2018
Honne said:
It’s been 10 years since the release of Baten Kaitos 2 (Baten Kaitos Origins) and it’s pains me to continue getting requests for a sequel. Since enough time has gone by I think it’s okay to talk about it a bit. Right after the release of Baten Kaitos 2, I was working on a sequel at Namco (now Bandai Namco) and we were onto pre-productions, however before Baten Kaitos 3 could become a reality, talk between involved parties ended due to circumstances. Had we released the game, it would’ve been something grand, and would take you to the bottom of the seas, the earth, and the sky. Bandai Namco still has a lot of my plan work that’s been sealed away. For those of you requesting a sequel, don’t just ask Monolith Soft and myself, but Bandai Namco as well.

Also, imagine the madness this third Chaotic Dance would manifest as.
Chaotic Dance music is running endlessly through my head for the first time in oh how long, and it's glorious. Ah, the nostalgia.

Thought, what if the remake added a Valkyria Chronicles style water color shader to the non scanned asset elements?

interesting

The entire time I was wondering why I would believe this random website, at least there's something now. I'd absolutely love to see Baten Kaitos come back.

The entire time I was wondering why I would believe this random website, at least there's something now. I'd absolutely love to see Baten Kaitos come back.
FYI this is like the third reputable leak from them, there was some leaked footage and another leak a while back

That would be nice to have.

Would be even nicer if they threw in Origins since us Euros missed out on it.

This would be cool. Despite being a GameCube kid I never heard of these games until years later, so it would be nice to get the chance to play them. Honne seems passionate enough about them that I hope it’s true just for him.

AI Upscaling can do wonders, or they where so bright to keep the originals somewhere. Rendering the originals could seem funky in that the models probably where not that detailes, and looking in a higher resolution could break the ilusion, but AI upscaling, as good as it got still tends to slightly add to much detail an sharpening.

This intro is the only cutscene in the game, maybe now in remake will have more cutscenes.

...man that is bad animation.
i have hart great things about the game. I would be interested if its not a 60$ game for a GC port, even if its a remaster.

Back
Top Bottom