• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Everybody 1-2 Switch |ST| INKY (There's apparently reviews now, see threadmark)

Has anyone here actually played the game yet? I’d love to hear about how bad it is first-hand from someone who’s actively played it.

I have the physical version ordered because, frankly, this game sounds so bad that I have to try it… it’s like a trainwreck; obviously terrible, but you can’t help but watch.
It's... Fine? It's 1-2 Switch 2. It's really not a bad game. It's a party game. It's better than Super Mario Party, if that helps?

It warms my heart that this game has been graced with such a wonderful ST! I'll be getting the game next week and my family and I look forward to playing it!

Y'all gonna stop laughing when it again outsells every Metroid game in history 👀
evil-dontyou.gif

It's... Fine? It's 1-2 Switch 2. It's really not a bad game. It's a party game. It's better than Super Mario Party, if that helps?
Interesting! I was just reading some reviews and while they’re definitely not in love with this game, it’s also not as bad as I thought.

Hmmm… What is this? Is there a small part of me, deep within my cold, cynical heart… that’s actually somewhat unironically looking forward to giving this game a try?

…no, that must just be my imagination.

So actually… What does Stinky Horse Game rate on the Stink-o-meter? Is it anywhere near as stinky as the rumours said, or did they actually manage to put some odour management on the horse in the year it was missing?

My kids and their grandparents play games over the iPad every weekend, so I’m hoping at least some of these will work in that situation.

Bingo
The Ice Cream one
Auction
Quiz Show
Kitchen Timer

In any case, I have it. When my daughter wakes up we’ll try it locally and see how it is

Yeah, from the impressions I've read it's neither here nor there, it's ok or at worst mediocre. Not the aggressively bad, potentially reputation-destroying mess the leaks would have one believe it'd turn out to be.

I can confirm that this game is not only very much not stinky, but it’s also quite fresh! For real, this is gonna be a fantastic party game! Played around with it a bit with my partner and we’ve enjoyed what we’ve played so far, though we realize there’s a limit on how fun it’s gonna be with just the two of us of course, but the potential for larger parties is obvious.

We were also pleasantly surprised with just how well the smart device integration works! Like, honestly I’m amazed. It’s so much better than Jackbox in that regard. It just works. The web app is snappy and precise, the camera and motion sensor support works great, there are no common connection errors to deal with (and if you do get booted out somehow, it’ll automatically reconnect you—no need to enter a code again or anything like that!), and it even has audio and multitouch support! It feels truly integrated with the game, probably as close to a Wii U GamePad-like experience that you can get using a smart device.

Really, though, this should be a must-have game for parties. It’s probably going to be our new go-to game for when we have a group of friends over. Can’t wait until we can have a more proper party experience with the game!

so what the hell was that "Fear it would damage Nintendo's brand" about?
Probably an overreaction from certain people within NoA, and/or there really were a number of games that just weren’t very fun in their initial forms, but clearly those games have either been cut or reworked. We know the Bingo game definitely saw some big changes from what was initially leaked, for example. And, as the Fanbyte article about the leak from last year mentioned, this kind of thing isn’t unusual at all—games playtest poorly and get reworked before they’re officially revealed and released all the time, unbeknownst to the public. I’m not sure why people felt the need to bring attention to and leak all this with Everybody 1-2-Switch!, but it doesn’t appear to be anything outside of the norm. The game was improved during the course of its development, as you’d expect, and released in good shape.

So yeah, contrary to the rumors, the final product is actually a quality party game experience—nothing “stinky” about it. Honestly, I’d say it’s much better than the original 1-2-Switch for multiple reasons, but the cheaper price certainly helps a lot too.

I didn't get this game myself but I watched a video of it and it honestly seems fun. A pretty standard party game but probably no worse than the original 1-2-Switch. The whole story behind it was funny but at the end of the day it seems like it's not the dud I thought it might be.

I’ve been starving for new “fun-for-everyone” party games on Switch but after messing around with multiple game modes am going to try refunding. There is potential for a fun party game here, but every mode I’ve played has so little game for the amount of time spent “playing”. It’s 1-2 Switch 2, but instead of having skippable intros you only need to watch once, games/modes have dialogue interspersed that can make the flow soooo sloowwwww.

Quiz mode could be really fun if handled rapid-fire like WarioWare, instead the announcer is frequently commenting in-between questions making you wait for the next. Similarly one of the mini-games, Kitchen Timer, focuses on performing different motions at the right time, but you only get to do 3 of these separated by slow, unskippable dialogue explaining the dish you are cooking. It echoes back to how I felt playing Super Mario Party where subtle things like the “Yeah!”s and everyone glaring when someone gets a star all contributed to a feeling of waiting to play.

I played with a friend through streaming. This game I actually surpassingly decent? I played using my phone and some of those games are actually really fun, like color shoot, kitchen timer, bingo, quiz party, and alien. I might actually want to pick this up for myself to play with family.

I can confirm that this game is not only very much not stinky, but it’s also quite fresh! For real, this is gonna be a fantastic party game! Played around with it a bit with my partner and we’ve enjoyed what we’ve played so far, though we realize there’s a limit on how fun it’s gonna be with just the two of us of course, but the potential for larger parties is obvious.

We were also pleasantly surprised with just how well the smart device integration works! Like, honestly I’m amazed. It’s so much better than Jackbox in that regard. It just works. The web app is snappy and precise, the camera and motion sensor support works great, there are no common connection errors to deal with (and if you do get booted out somehow, it’ll automatically reconnect you—no need to enter a code again or anything like that!), and it even has audio and multitouch support! It feels truly integrated with the game, probably as close to a Wii U GamePad-like experience that you can get using a smart device.

Really, though, this should be a must-have game for parties. It’s probably going to be our new go-to game for when we have a group of friends over. Can’t wait until we can have a more proper party experience with the game!
Just got done after playing for an hour and a half with my ten year old. She loved it, nice variety of games, the presentation is quirky but really sharp and as you say, the smart device implementation is phenomenal.

We couldn’t work out how to do only one game though, and the unskippable cutscenes are a bit much, though I note there is a locked “pro” mode on the settings pregame.

The other thing I like, is that each player doesn’t have to play every game, you can opt in or out, so I’m thinking this is going to work great playing with my parents overseas, we just need to make sure we have one person near the Switch on each team.

If they can put a Mario Party together with this kind of smart phone integration they would make bank.

WarioWare would also be perfect for it!

Edit! Actually, Wario Party: there’s a free one for you there Nintendo

Just got done after playing for an hour and a half with my ten year old. She loved it, nice variety of games, the presentation is quirky but really sharp and as you say, the smart device implementation is phenomenal.

We couldn’t work out how to do only one game though, and the unskippable cutscenes are a bit much, though I note there is a locked “pro” mode on the settings pregame.

The other thing I like, is that each player doesn’t have to play every game, you can opt in or out, so I’m thinking this is going to work great playing with my parents overseas, we just need to make sure we have one person near the Switch on each team.
You can scroll to the far right side of the main menu (after you’ve selected Joy-Con Mode or Smart Device Mode and the number of players) and there’ll be an “Other” option where you can select any game you’ve previously played before, so before you can play a game freely you have to have played it in Team Contest mode first (except for Quiz Party and Bingo Party, which can be selected from the main menu from the beginning).

Not sure how to unlock the Pro setting yet, though, or what exactly that does. I’m guessing it probably does let you skip intros with that setting, though. I bet it’s unlocked by having played all the available games or something like that.

Sooo... apparently, there's no content filter whatsoever when players use their smartphone as their controller,
meaning people can upload absolutely anything as their profile pic.

Like NSFW anything.

I'd post an example, but.. you know..
I mean, of course; the game lets you use your own photos, so naturally it’ll accept any image you choose, lol. You should probably go in expecting something like that to happen if you’re playing with random people online via a stream. =P

To no surprise, Nintendo has taken some measures against this, though, because if you take screenshots or videos via the Switch itself (not via a capture device, of course), it literally blanks out any player-uploaded images in the saved videos/screenshots. And, like, I get why they do it, but that’s also kinda disappointing to me, lol. Same with the game utilizing the Switch’s word blocklist. That’s the one thing that’s a bit of a bummer to me with this game compared to Jackbox, since Jackbox doesn’t censor anything.

Steve from GVG played this with patreons and apparently the praise was unanimous. It’s been compared to Jackbox, which honestly sounds fantastic

Despite the rushed/lack of marketing and Nintendo’s apparent reluctance to even release this, it is a really well considered software.

Just little things like in the Alien game, if using your smart phone there is obviously no strap. To combat this, rather than just waving your phone around, you have to press your thumbs onto two well placed buttons which means you actually have a good grip on your device, minimising the risk of it flying out of your hands.

This game turning out to be good is probably the most shocking thing to come from Nintendo in June 2023.

Wait this is actually supposed to be good? Definitely not for me either way but still surprising.

Game by game comments from me to this point:

Balloons:
Played one round, very basic, but tense. The grid certainly helps, but has enough of a time limit to tempt you into one more pump of air. Balloon graphics are great

Joy Con Hide and Seek:
Surprisingly fun, the joycon has multiple vibration styles based on which button is pressed, but not as obvious as the summary video would suggest.

Bingo
There’s actually strategy involved with this, as rather than random balls, the numbers are decided by a number ordered spinning wheel which teams take it in turns to stop. Every few turns, rather than one number, the selection will expand to three consecutive numbers, giving you a chance to find the numbers you want

Ice cream parlour
Basic listening and note taking game, but the presentation is humorous, more points for the quicker you answer, so with more people will come more challenge

Colour Shoot
Simple idea, lots of different colour shades (I saw at least #44 so would be plenty of variety here. The 20 second time limit brings the pressure

Quiz Show
Two variants I’ve seen so far, words and pictures. Simple true or false questions, but the challenge will come with how quick you can get your answer in. Would be chaos with more than a few people. Would work better with your own questions which we might play with at some point

Ninja
Weakest of the lot for me so far, essentially comes down to “slice the joycon down when you here the sound”

UFO
This was amusing, and went on for two minutes of the movements. Only one Alien came out, so I’m guessing it develops a bit. Might be a bit one track

The game is pretty smart, it recognised the tablet we were using didn’t have gyro so offered us another game instead. In Party mode, also had a pick a card section, where the other person could see which card you were hovering over and so you could use their reaction to work out what you should or shouldn’t choose (+1 point, +2 points or blank).

They are the only games I’ve played to this point. If anyone has any questions let me know and I’d be happy to answer them

Edit: also, on the unfiltered pictures issue. Nintendo likely foresaw this might happen, but not once have they suggested this is a streaming game, instead everything I’ve read has been about playing up to 100 people locally only, which might be their way of washing their hands of it?

I saw a Twitch streamer play Colour Shoot with 100 of his viewers and it was honestly incredible. Really funny game, and it all worked flawlessly. They just had to scan a QR Code, nothing else required, and they joined the game. The smartphone integration is honestly impressive.

Granted a lot of the mini games don't work well unless you're all together in a room without any delay. But for a game like Colour Shoot, it was perfect.

Who was it that claimed this game was going to be an unmitigated disaster based on some less-than-glowing playtest feedback?

This game got me thinking, if Nintendo can develop a smartphone holder that lets you slide-in the Joy-Cons (think of the Joycon grip but with a middle portion that can be adjusted to fit a variety of smartphones) and make an app similar to the one used in Everybody’s 1-2 Switch. Then you can play Wii U like Asymmetric experiences like Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, and some aspects of Wii Sports Club.

It won’t be as neatly integrated as the Wii U Gamepad. But it would be far less expensive than including a touchscreen controller and not all devs would have to take it into consideration since it will only be there for games that want to use it.

Last edited:
Despite the clear lack of confidence on Nintendo's part. The game isn't a complete horseshit. On the contrary, it's actually a competent party game that will be great to play with at parties with a large amount of people. Moreso the smartphone integration that worked so well, you can livestream the game and have online people join in and still have some fun! Even though the game clearly wasn't designed around it.

First, I will say that personally I'm not the biggest fan of Jackbox games, mainly due to it requires quite decent understanding of English, especially for non-native English speakers (which is why Jackbox is basically unknown outside of the west) and a lot of games have you be funny with various subjects. Something I have zero skill with. (admittedly this isn't entirely Jackbox's fault; I just doesn't know a thing about comedy)

So when the rumor came in and eventually the official announcement. I wonder if this is Nintendo trying to make something like Jackbox to be more accessible. And I'd say they did that pretty well. This is a good alternative to Jackbox that's much simpler to gasp with and personally much more fun.

Note that I don't have the game (not that I can even play it myself if I own one due to software limitations) so I can only talk about the Joy-Con mode via online video and such, but I have been participated in smartphone mode so I can say about that in details.

Joy-Con mode is basically just more 1-2-Switch minigames: Short, easy to understand, and make use of Joy-Con features. Pros and cons of the original 1-2-Switch more or less apply here. Albeit with a much fancier presentation and being team-based contest instead of just two people in one round. Which should make it more engaging.

Smartphone mode, on the other hand, is the real star here: Up to 100 people can connect their smartphone to the Switch via QR Code or a website link and play, comment, send an emote, among other things that the game allows them to do.

And while Nintendo's description said all players have to be in the same room only, this is only by technicallity and not a hardware/software limitation! The game does not check if the player is in the same area as the system at all. It basically created a host server on the internet that other players can join, regardless of where they actually are.

The game, however, will assume that all players are in the same room and wouldn't have delay problems that a livestream setup would. So some games rely on the Switch screen as the indicator for what you do on the phone will suffer issues as a result. Some fared better, some less.

With this definition, however. It also bypass Nintendo Switch Online altogether. That mean you don't even need NSO if you want to host the game online with your friends.

I guess someone at Nintendo had a eureka moment here, because with this system, it turned every smartphone (that had motion support) into a stealth Wii U GamePad 2 in the best way possible. As everyone will have their own screen instead of just one person.

And what they were able to achieve with this system is honestly great, certainly gave Jackbox a run for its money. But I think it still have potential for even more. (which is saying something!)

For example: Color Shoot is a a game where players tried to take picture of an object with matched the given color.

Sound pretty simple, but the key that make it fun and pretty much the defacto pick for this game is that it's not just basic color you need to look for (so Red, Green, Blue, etc.) But rather a specific color tone like Ceramic, French Blue, Crimson, and so on.

On top of that you have 20 seconds to take a picture or you got no point. So it's a frantic race of everyone trying find what they can use.

Playing this with livestream setup even had an extra benefit! Since everyone lived in a different place, they have their own stuffs to choose from and it can let to some fun engagement with other people, since the top 3 players in each round will have their picture shown to everyone. Showing what object they use to get to the top.

Now you might think doing it via livestream would suck due to delay. But the timer will also be shown on your smartphone, so you will know exactly how much time you have without relying on delay streaming feed.

This is one saving grace that made some game much more playable online, including timing games like Statue and Kitchen Timer. Unfortunately not all games have this.

The smartphone integration really open up new ideas for Wii U-style game design far more than the Wii U itself could've done. And I hope Nintendo explore more ideas in the future.

Now even though I talk at great lengths about the praise of this game; it ain't a masterpiece. And one that certainly not for people who didn't play game with friends much to begin with. It's a party game first and foremost. So even with its cheaper price (one of the cheapest first party Nintendo game with a physical release in fact) you should value more on your play style and how much you play games with friends. Otherwise all my praises mean nothing.

TL;DR - it's a great party game with ingenious smartphone integration, but it's still a party game that worked best with a large group of people. A small group likely won't get much out of it.

horses-laughing.gif

This ST is amazing hahaha.

I watched the "trailer" on the eShop last night whilst a bit high and well...it was a trip.

This game got me thinking, if Nintendo can develop a smartphone holder that lets you slide-in the Joy-Cons (think of the Joycon grip but with a middle portion that can be adjusted to fit a variety of smartphones) and make an app similar to the one used in Everybody’s 1-2 Switch. Then you can play Wii U like Asymmetric experiences like Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, and some aspects of Wii Sports Club.

It won’t be as neatly integrated as the Wii U Gamepad. But it would be far less expensive than including a touchscreen controller and not all devs would not have to take it into consideration since it will only be there for games that want to use it.
Here's the catch:
1. Smartphones come in different sizes.
2. Nintendo probably doesn't want to bear any potential liability from a smartphone holder accessory that fails.

Here's the catch:
1. Smartphones come in different sizes.
2. Nintendo probably doesn't want to bear any potential liability from a smartphone holder accessory that fails.
For 1. razer kishi and others are already compatible with most smartphones (albeit with separate Apple and Android versions due to different charging ports). It probably isn't possible to get universal compatibility but 95+% is absolutely possible.

Last edited:
My wife and I just played for a little while and it was fun! It's a step up from the first game and the smartphone integration works well. I was worried it would be cumbersome or involve the Nintendo app.

The vibes are wild as shit to me but it's really not a bad time at all. And it feels more like its own thing and less like a tech demo compared to the first one

I was at the Nintendo store in Shibuya and they know a system seller when they have one:
J8Z0Ao.md.jpeg

They also had a pair of employees playing the game in front of a crowd lol.

Sooo... apparently, there's no content filter whatsoever when players use their smartphone as their controller,
meaning people can upload absolutely anything as their profile pic.

Like NSFW anything.

I'd post an example, but.. you know..

S3S4_Horace.png
The combination of "Love Wins" with Sonic & Shadow kissing, then the girl with the profile name "UWU" and then that dick pick, that timing sure is... something.

I love the thread name so much, and wow, the theme looks better than I thought!

Tho the ominous horse that took the spot from chomp chomp/tiny link in the lower corner seems a bit.. unnerving to say the least LMAO

I bought this ironically but just played a few rounds with my significant other and we had a surprisingly good time!

I think the price Nintendo settled on is perfect for what the game is. I can imagine some of the games being a great laugh with a bigger group like the Colour Shoot one. Impressed with the smartphone connectivity - wasn’t expecting the photos taken to actually show up on the screen.

I think there’s a successful franchise here if they focus on the more Jackbox style games and keep the price fair.

Back
Top Bottom