• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection |ST| Hoist the Switch with pride in the heart

ermitron2

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him
kLUuoO0.jpg

• Developer: Atlus
  • Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: June 1st 2023
  • Platforms: Nintendo Switch and Steam. For Switch there is a physical version with english avaliable in Asia
  • Genre: Brutal Dungeon RPG

About the collection

Etrian Odyssey Origin Collections include the first 3 EO games released originally for Nintendo DS with HD graphics and new QoL features. Your mission as a guild master is to take your party and uncover the secrets of the great tree labyrinths in Etria, High Laagard and Armoroad.

The franchise was concieved by Kazuya Niino as a revival of the wizardry style games, incluiding their unforgiving difficulty (at least in 1). This means HP healing/ TP items are scarce; the only way to get money are quests, scavenging materials from collection points or selling monster parts (which you also need to make new equipment); having limited inventory, and carefully distributing skill points for your characters

Besides the difficulty, exploration is really the game. Unlike other DRPG you are in charge of mapping the floors. You’ll need to draw corridors, mark doors, traps, shortcuts, takes notes and mark everything you need to survive. With that said if charting is not your thing the Origins Collection include an auto mapping mode

🟠 FOE 🟠

One important element of the games are the FOE: Field On Enemy (JP) / Formido Oppugnatura Exsequens (US) / Foedus Obrepit Errabundus (EU). These are vicious creatures that are visible on the map and have superior stats than everything on the floor you are exploring. And make no mistake, they want your blood and will follow you and even join the battle if you are fighting monsters near them. And in case you are wondering, more than one can join the battle and this includes boss battles

They became a meme in japanese forums and even had a song by IOSYS:

Party Members

9i4pDX8.png

As a guild master your task is to choose your party members to conquer the labyrinth. Etrian 1 features your classic standard classes (with Atlus funky localized names) with warriors, tanks, medics, elemental users, etc. Etrian 2 added more variety with 3 new classes (Gunner, War medic and beast) that covers multiple jobs. For example the gunner has both elemental and binding attacks.

In EO3 they decided to go more creative with some of the choices like the Sovereign who is a tank and a bard, or the monk who is a healer and close combat user. And this time you have subclasses too, so you can create some really broken combinations if you want too.

What is new in the HD Collection?
  • Updated visuals: This mostly means cleaner graphics since the 3 games used sprites for monsters and characters portraits. Draw distance seems to be the same as the DS
  • Mapping options: Since you don’t have a second screen like the DS you can activate the mapping canvas with a button (with left and right handed mode) to draw manually your map. There's also auto mode (floors) and full auto mode (floor, walls and shortcuts).
  • New character portraits: There’s a fifth portrait added to each class (with alternate colors in EO3) to make your party more varied. There are also DLC portraits featuring characters from other Atlus franchises
  • New Difficulty modes: Picnic, Basic and Expert. Expert difficulty is the original DS difficulty
  • New game + for EO1 and EO2
  • Bugs fixes and some balance updates. Also you can now sidestep in EO1
  • Updated music using the PC88 version and one new track for EO3
  • Local and Online connection for EO3 sea exploration features.

FAQs

1. Are these based on the Untold versions?

No. These are based on their original DS version, so the rearranged OST, story mode and other features like grimoires aren’t avaliable here.

2. Should I play them in order?
It’s not required, but I recommend it, since going from 1 to 3 you can see how the games evolved and improved and once you taste goodness of multiclass in 3, it’s harder to go back. Also finishing 1 gives you the opportunity to carry two special items and some dialog changes into EO2

3. I’ve never played any EO games, you haver any tips?
  • Always carry a warp wire.
  • Learn to manage your TP: You’ll need it to survive and using it in every battle will just make the exploration harder once you are out of it
  • Abuse healing spots when you find them. These are always good spots to grind or scavange materials.
  • Go Home: The game expects you to return to the base constantly, no need to try to rush through a floor. You have a limited inventory and selling monster parts will get you money and new equipment or items
  • Search for shortcuts: Most floors will have shortcuts that will let you traverse them quicker next time. Shortcut tiles have always a distinctive feature from normal tiles like a flower or a crack in the wall, so it’s not that difficult to find them. Do keep in mind some of them can only be used in one way.
  • Use your items: You are going to need everything you can use if want to survive, no need to save everything for later and hoarding them will just take space from your inventory.
  • Try to avoid spreading skill points too much: It’s very hard or impossible to max a skill tree in any class in any of the games, and the “red mage” approach will be detrimental at the endgame in 1 and 2. It’s better to focus your characters on specific paths an be strong in one or two things, than mediocre at 4 of them. For example Landksnetch has a sword and axe skills, while you certainly can spread points between both this means you’ll have to sacrifice levels on all of their abilities making them less effective (because you also need to level up stats). In picnic and casual this probably won’t be an issue as the damage modifiers will make it that even low level skills does more damage.
  • Mind the gap: When you run from combat you will take a step back in the map, and if there is no space to step back you can’t escape. This also means that if you are trapped in a corridor by an F.O.E your only option is to fight back or use a warp wire / return (I told you to always carry a warp wire).
  • Don’t be discouraged! : The first game was really hard and I know a lot of people bounced because of the difficulty, but take every defeat as an opportunity to learn and you will make it through. Rushing through the unknow is a recipe for defeat and EO expects you to be cautious and make use of all your tools, to advance through the labyrinth.

Last edited:
Lets go! Ill be super late to the party (physical preorder) but these games are what made me jump into rpgs. The exploration, music, scenarios and atmosphere are fantastic.

With EO3 being my favorite game of all time (A game I revisit every year), I cant wait to go back in with HD graphics lol.

With a new entry in the horizon (heavily hinted), I hope everyone enjoy this set of games as they are, imo, one if not the best the genre has to offer.

Lets go! Ill be super late to the party (physical preorder) but these games are what made me jump into rpgs. The exploration, music, scenarios and atmosphere are fantastic.

With EO3 being my favorite game of all time (A game I revisit every year), I cant wait to go back in with HD graphics lol.

With a new entry in the horizon (heavily hinted), I hope everyone enjoy this set of games as they are, imo, one if not the best the genre has to offer.
Yeah, 3 is also for me the highest point specially because the classes where so much different from other EO games that made your party more versatile (and even broken) and the OST is very good.

Also it's always a good time to share the altar

HOw7LV8.jpg

Yeah, 3 is also for me the highest point specially because the classes where so much different from other EO games that made your party more versatile (and even broken) and the OST is very good.

HOw7LV8.jpg
Fantastic. Man I should get those artbooks lol. I love the cds that came with the "special edition" not only for the music, but the art of characters in casual wear. I have the skin of the Highlander for the 3DS (still on to this day lol). I loved this era of atlus goodies (even Radiant Historia and 7th Dragon came with cool stuff). My altar is gone since I am moving soon so Ill see where to put them.

Still sour that we did not get EO Mystery Dungeon 2 here.

"Expert difficulty is the original DS difficulty" loooool that does not surprise me
Yeah, I can imagine so much death and complaints if they let the default difficulty as basic, and I can't even imagine a harder setting lol

Most excited about a set of games I've been in a long time. I never got to play EO3 so I'm looking forward to it. Wish the collection had some of the stuff from the Untold games (grimoires and the better draw distance, really) but still. Can't wait to sink my teeth into these lovely games again.

Long before the whole "this is the Dark Souls of this genre" thing, EO was a thing and when Dark Souls first came out I was like, "This feels like Etrian Odyssey of medieval action games". Avoid strong enemies, create shortcuts and have a lots of healing items. EO did it first.

I bought EO 1-2 twice already and have no intention to go back there but I plan to get EO3 when have enough patience to take on again. It's just too grindy and I'm not in the mood.
Mind the gap: When you run from combat you will take a step back in the map, and if there is no space to step back you can’t escape. This also means that if you are trapped in a corridor by an F.O.E your only option is to fight back or use a warp wire / return (I told you to always carry a warp wire).
Oh how I hated this. Especially when I was healed & ready to take on a roadblock FOE. They fixed it in 4 iirc.

Another thing I hated in the first three games is FOE's continuously chasing you. When you're in their sight only way to lose them is to move to the upper floor. Make one mistake and it's the end for you.

HOw7LV8.jpg
Nice collection. I just sold my untold copy to buy this collection. I didn't expect that it would fetch me much money from the collector's market.

I bought EO 1-2 twice already and have no intention to go back there but I plan to get EO3 when have enough patience to take on again. It's just too grindy and I'm not in the mood.
Really? For me 3 is the less grindy IIRC multiclass pretty much helps you be prepared for more situations than the other 2 so you don't even need to respec or retire characters unless you went crazy with 5 farmer team, and overall is a shorter game as the dungeon is smaller (because you have the sea, but that one is really more of a minigame). Plus there's the golden FOE

. I just sold my untold copy to buy this collection. I didn't expect that it would fetch me much money from the collector's market.
Yeah, I actually had a second copy of 3 and I was amazed it was above 100 US and that was 2019

On another note, time to undust this baby, very helpful to find the areas where golden FOE appears

5IgbYDU.jpg

Launch feature from Famitsu about EO dev.

Nothing new, the first EO was the hardest to adapt because of the map and they will use feedback from this for their new game.

Games live on switch and steam
The games are already available on steam and switch. LETS GOOOOOOOOO.

Also an update for 1:
  • Picnic like the last games, gives you unlimited ariadne threads.
  • Rest now only take 5 levels (10 in the original)

0siMjJR.jpg

WRdBxbc.jpg

7zutx9I.jpg

Going for a classic party in 1 with L/P | M/S/A

Last edited:
The games are already available on steam and switch. LETS GOOOOOOOOO.

Also an update for 1:
  • Picnic like the last games, gives you unlimited ariadne threads.
  • Rest now only take 5 levels (10 in the original)

0siMjJR.jpg

WRdBxbc.jpg

7zutx9I.jpg

Going for a classic party in 1 with L/P | M/S/A
Can you get the free Persona/SMT sprites? I think it's time limited to two weeks upon release.

In EO1 I learned the hard way to always have two Ariadne threads after losing one to an event while low on HP/TP and having to walk back to town, dreading the encounter meter. That’s one of the things I love about EO. Encounters aren’t truly random, you can see exactly how likely a battle is, so they always feel less intrusive, it’s more about keeping the tension up and giving you the info to know whether you can afford to take a few steps forward or really should go home and regroup and save that progress you’ve made.

Feeling slightly proud that I battled through all of these on what is now ‘expert’. EOIII is probably my favourite DS game, one of the best dungeon crawls ever made IMO.

Can't remember if it's already in EO 1, but the skill to maximize load out at gathering points is a life saver at the first half of the game.

Can't remember if it's already in EO 1, but the skill to maximize load out at gathering points is a life saver at the first half of the game.
I think I used to have a secondary, dedicated ‘farmer’ party whose entire purpose was to go in, shepherded by a high-level adventurer who wouldn’t die in a basic fight, grab materials and get out, before selling them to either fund or make consumables available for the main team. Those poor farmers had the riskiest job and died a lot! By the later games I stopped doing that and just had each party member put a couple of points into their respective gathering skill, but yeah, it’s worth not ignoring it whichever way you handle it.

NintendoLife’s review was interesting, in that what they found to criticise was the price, that they aren’t the ‘Untold’ 3DS versions, and that as remasters the draw distances and repeated tiles aren’t greatly improved. But absolutely zero criticisms of the original games.

I have to admit, the price is putting me off too. As soon as these go on sale I’ll be all over them. But I’d agree with NL that you can’t really go wrong with EO if you’re looking for dungeon crawls, and the original carts go for even higher prices these days. To anyone looking to check out the series, I’d pick up one individually and then the others later on, as you’ll want a break after battling through anyway!

Just had my full party wipe in the second floor... by moles and a deer 🙃 . Never undersestimate random encounters in EO

Can you get the free Persona/SMT sprites? I think it's time limited to two weeks upon release.
Yes, as long as you donwload them in this 2 weeks, you get them automatically, and can be used with any class.

I think I used to have a secondary, dedicated ‘farmer’ party whose entire purpose was to go in, shepherded by a high-level adventurer who wouldn’t die in a basic fight, grab materials and get out, before selling them to either fund or make consumables available for the main team. Those poor farmers had the riskiest job and died a lot! By the later games I stopped doing that and just had each party member put a couple of points into their respective gathering skill, but yeah, it’s worth not ignoring it whichever way you handle it.
Yeah, the simple way is just to have 1 or 2 points for each character because not all skills are usefull anyway. The party of farmers do work for some points that are near the warp points though

Just had my full party wipe in the second floor... by moles and a deer 🙃 . Never undersestimate random encounters in EO

Yes, as long as you donwload them in this 2 weeks, you get them automatically, and can be used with any class.

Yeah, the simple way is just to have 1 or 2 points for each character because not all skills are usefull anyway. The party of farmers do work for some points that are near the warp points though
I think when I first played EO1, my first party wipe was to some butterflies on the first floor. At that point I realised what I was in for and my team learned from it, refusing to underestimate even the most harmless-looking thing, turning into cautious pros rather than have-a-go heroes!

Also did some testing and the difference between difficulties in 1 and 2 is absurd lol. In picnic you can defeat the FOEs in the second floor with a level 6 party and minimal damage while in basic and expert they will one shot you. In fact I don't really see a lot of damage reduction in basic, since even random encounters will kick your ass. If there is a modifier is really something small

3 was more balanced even in DS so expert is less punishing than 1 and 2, but still picnic = god mode

Also did some testing and the difference between difficulties in 1 and 2 is absurd lol. In picnic you can defeat the FOEs in the second floor with a level 6 party and minimal damage while in basic and expert they will one shot you. In fact I don't really see a lot of damage reduction in basic, since even random encounters will kick your ass. If there is a modifier is really something small

3 was more balanced even in DS so expert is less punishing than 1 and 2, but still picnic = god mode
Maybe it’s just that ’basic’ has you do more damage to the enemy so the fight is resolved more quickly (and so less likely to run out of TP), rather than being less lethal than expert?

I remember doing that in EO2. Iirc the only game which had farmers, right?

Yeah I think so, but I also used to make parties of characters with dedicated, maxed-out gathering abilities. So ‘farming parties’ even before and after the farmer class! I think some of the games have other gathering abilities but I honestly can’t remember, a lot of them blend into one in my head, particularly after Nexus.

And Floor 2 conquered. Death count: 3
EO3 is the one with the farmer class. In 1 and 2 the survivalist is the farmer as it's the only class with the 3 gathering abilites. So the cheap way was to create a party with 4 or 5 survivalist, gather everything and gtfo of the dungeon as quick as possible.

Maybe it’s just that ’basic’ has you do more damage to the enemy so the fight is resolved more quickly (and so less likely to run out of TP), rather than being less lethal than expert?
Apparently basic is a 20% reduction in damage and 20% more damage, but still this doesn't make a lot of difference at least in EO1.

And Floor 2 conquered. Death count: 3

EO3 is the one with the farmer class. In 1 and 2 the survivalist is the farmer as it's the only class with the 3 gathering abilites. So the cheap way was to create a party with 4 or 5 survivalist, gather everything and gtfo of the dungeon as quick as possible.

Apparently basic is a 20% reduction in damage and 20% more damage, but still this doesn't make a lot of difference at least in EO1.
Ah yes, that rings a bell, a survivalist team with a paladin desperately trying to keep them alive as they dashed to the resource points

Has anyone tested if mouse and/or keyboard controls work on Switch. It's been a burning question of mine since this collection was announced.

I think I'm leaning toward Switch anyway as my PC is 12/13 years old (no joke)--though it still seems to run a lot of the type of games I like just fine. 😅

Can't emphasize enough that although these games can be tough (for me), the vibes are impeccable. Gorgeous soundtracks. I hope anyone who was uncertain took advantage of late 3DS sales and the lengthy demos to try these out and see if they click with them, because it's a great series.

I have to admit, the price is putting me off too. As soon as these go on sale I’ll be all over them.

I still have my 3DS in rotation with Untold 1+2, 4 and 5 on it, and I much prefer using touch screen there, but I'll definitely be tempted by 3 when it gets a sale.

I know there's a manual and auto mode for mapping - is there an option to make the map yourself with button inputs rather than a stylus? I can imagine it'd be finicky but I'd find it convenient as someone who likes to do it myself but won't necessarily always remember to have a Switch stylus on hand.

I know there's a manual and auto mode for mapping - is there an option to make the map yourself with button inputs rather than a stylus? I can imagine it'd be finicky but I'd find it convenient as someone who likes to do it myself but won't necessarily always remember to have a Switch stylus on hand.
Using the controller is always active for mapping. It took me a few minutes to get used but how it works:
X expands the map. You see the full floor map and a zoomed area where you are
Left stick moves the area you are seeing in the full map
Right stick moves the cursor in the icon selecion (ie draw line, floor, icons, etc)
ZL/ZR activates the function in the zoomed map and the cursors sticks to the grid.

As mentioned it's a little confusing at the beginning as you are not using any face button of the controller but once you get used to it you can draw even while moving (since you move with the dpad).

I started EO1!R yesterday, I didn't play as much I wanted but I liked the high resolution of the artwork :p

I'm not sure if I will keep the Medic later because I really like the new artwork, but at some point I will bring a Hexer to my party to complement my Dark Hunter. And I would like have a Troubador later too...

I started EO1!R yesterday, I didn't play as much I wanted but I liked the high resolution of the artwork :p

I'm not sure if I will keep the Medic later because I really like the new artwork, but at some point I will bring a Hexer to my party to complement my Dark Hunter. And I would like have a Troubador later too...

Oh those look really nice. Im glad the portraits look crisp.

Oh those look really nice. Im glad the portraits look crisp.
Yeah the High res art is glorious, no filters or anything, they actually kept the original art intact (unlike other developers cof square). Monster art also look very good in battle

Gonna start with EO3 when I finish Zelda.
I read that it has the best story.
It's certainly the more fleshed out, but honestly I think the first one is the one that has more impact. Some reviews call it thin because it has less dialogs but a lot of people miss most of the story is told via the quests rather than the characters (which is what it happens in 3). Like most of the other EO follows a more structured way to tell the story, but there is THE part in 1 where it literally makes you go:

8i2328i.gif

Because it changes the player perception of your actions (and some of this was even changed in the untold version making it less critical) and not even 3 (which IMO gives too much hints to the player) reaches

Launched EO3 just to hear the menu music. I noticed that the Download option is available in the menu, I assume it's primarily for the crossover DLC portraits once they decide to sell them separately, but it would be nice to see some more portraits become available too. I imagine if that was the plan they would have launched with them though.

Gonna start with EO3 when I finish Zelda.
I read that it has the best story.
3 has a good story. I do like 2's a bit more because of the build up towards the end that puts in context how that world works. Plus some of the support characters are 10/10 shoutout to guild Esbat.

Launched EO3 just to hear the menu music. I noticed that the Download option is available in the menu, I assume it's primarily for the crossover DLC portraits once they decide to sell them separately, but it would be nice to see some more portraits become available too. I imagine if that was the plan they would have launched with them though.
YEah it's only for the portraits DLC. Maybe they put some more in a future update? But overall I don't think they are going add more.

Also remember they added the option to use portraits from other classes regarding of your chosen class. My medic looks like a dark hunter

I remember the first time I heard of this series in an import review of the first game. Later on when I went to pick up a copy of Odin Sphere I saw a brand new copy of Etrian Odyssey on the desk behind the clerk and bought it as well. Both games were perfect for that summer after graduating high school and I have fond memories of creating the characters in my EO guild and writing character profiles in a notebook.

This series was not only my gateway to dungeon crawlers, but Atlus in general. While I did have some Atlus published games before such as Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, Riviera: The Promised Land, and Yggdra Union I never really paid any attention to the company until EO (and Odin Sphere). Once those games got their hooks in me I eventually found my way to the Atlus forums where I was introduced to MegaTen, the Trauma series, and the many quirky titles Atlus published during that time.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to wait before purchasing these since I still have a pretty sizable backlog on my Switch, my gaming budget is pretty tight, and judging from past Atlus titles these will most likely be in their first sale by the end of summer at the earliest. Then again I would love to show my support for this series on release since I doubt they'll be on the eShops best sellers list like the Persona games.

You can change portraits to different classes. Like you can have a Hexer with a Medic portrait.

Also...the difficulty options kind swing EO1 in the opposite way lol. The easiest difficulty setting allows you to kill Ragelops at level 3. At level 5 I can auto them. It also like triples your EXP gain so if you really want to have multiple parties in EO1, this is probably the game for it.

Time to make my guild in EO3, this will take an hour.

I'm definitely going to make another Farmer squad, but the main squad is the tough one. I'll have to bust out my DS copy and see which classes I didn't use.

Talking about details, just realized Ren had blue eyeliner. Not even in the artbook you can spot that detail at first glance

L7Oz3ea.jpg

I’ve been getting my ass kicked all day in EO1 HD, my first time playing any of these. But I made it to floor 8.

I just got to the sixth floor...you know, I'm hoping they changed up that one Quest in the 4th Stratum...

The one where you commit genocide against the Forest Folk. It's bad enough on its own, but the fact that the forest folk are explicitly based off of a Japanese Indigenous people (the Ainu) makes it...really really icky.

I just got to the sixth floor...you know, I'm hoping they changed up that one Quest in the 4th Stratum...

The one where you commit genocide against the Forest Folk. It's bad enough on its own, but the fact that the forest folk are explicitly based off of a Japanese Indigenous people (the Ainu) makes it...really really icky.
As far as I've seen the script is untoched, other than the skills descriptions, so that remains. Regarding the 4th stratum

It took me untill Untold to understand the references of the Ainu, but even if they haven't do it I think that's the entire point of the quest. Visil goes in to "it's them or us" and really doesn't gives you a choice, but you, as the player knows it wrong and start to doubt Visil's intentions, which at that point he pretty much put all the guilds of Etria agains the forest folk so there is no longer the choice of descalation.

It's def. icky, but it's the point that really no or very few games takes. Most of these games are about imperialism and never forces you in a situation like this. Your character’s relentless desire to extract as many resources from the dungeon to obtain fame and glory regardless of the cost (even after numerous warnings) ultimately results in you dooming the entire environment by disrupting the process that was supposed to restore it. Once you finish the game, it basically becomes a story about the horrible things you did in order to obtain the loot, and ultimately dooming Etria, as Quinn confirms since everything is explored there's no point for adventurers to come to the city anymore. And just how it made you imagine about your characters story and motivations, now it makes you think how you and your characters cope with this.

im poking around at EO1 on pc right now and im actually like, super impressed with the mapping.

credit where its due, the buttons/sticks only map drawing is remarkably competent, but what i think really shines bright is using a controller in one hand to move around and drawing the maps with the mouse in your other hand, swapping over to face buttons for combat. theres a very slight thematic disconnect using a mouse vs using a stylus on a ds screen, but almost every worry i had regarding a new etrian game has been alleviated.

they did great.

Back
Top Bottom