• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection |ST| Hoist the Switch with pride in the heart

Looking through my old EO3 save it looks like the classes I didn't use much/at all were Ninja, Buccaneer, and Gladiator, so all three made the main roster this time. I'm sure one or all of them will eventually be cycled out as I usually end up swapping characters out between Stratums as I refine my team and strategies.

I'm slowly working my way through the first Stratum (and doing some sea missions on the side).

I've also been pretty impressed with their handling of mapping with buttons, it takes some getting used to as it is somewhat novel, but I can see it becoming second nature pretty quick.

I’m getting the desire to play EOIII again now… I really liked its subclass system and the sea mapping, the latter is like a puzzle box to return to over the length of the campaign. It’s a cool change of pace, I think I’d do a floor and then go map the sea a bit.

I've also been pretty impressed with their handling of mapping with buttons, it takes some getting used to as it is somewhat novel, but I can see it becoming second nature pretty quick.
yeah it takes time, but once your brain get used to it, you can even draw while exploring

Looking through my old EO3 save it looks like the classes I didn't use much/at all were Ninja, Buccaneer, and Gladiator, so all three made the main roster this time. I'm sure one or all of them will eventually be cycled out as I usually end up swapping characters out between Stratums as I refine my team and strategies.
3 has some of the best class synergy. Bucc and Gladiator are decent early, but late game are fantastic.

I'm thinking in my head left joycon with mouse would be the best way to play this. Pretty sure Steam has support for single joycon and it would avoid having to switch your right hand between mouse and controller.

Made it to floor 11 in EO1. Game is definitely getting easier but I’m still not entirely sure why they gave me so many character slots if there’s only like 8 jobs. I’m a bit concerned about what I’m going to do when those last two unlock too.

Made it to floor 11 in EO1. Game is definitely getting easier but I’m still not entirely sure why they gave me so many character slots if there’s only like 8 jobs. I’m a bit concerned about what I’m going to do when those last two unlock too.
Yeah, usually the first and second stratum are kinda harder becasue you have less options with skills. Once you start getting more skills you'll find more options to tackle the labyrinth and FOEs, so it's more manageable

For character slots, well the origial didn't had new game + so you kinda had nothing to do after endgame but experiment with other clasess without resting your characters I guess.

You have many slots for alternative units or even parties. For example, it's a good idea have at least a second party just to loot aka 5 survivalist in EO1 and 2 or 5 farmers in EO3, so you main party don't have to waste a lot of points in gathering skills.

By the way, the last two classes are Hexer and Ronin, the first one is focused in punish enemies with binds and ailments (and complements very well with a Dark Hunter wielding a whip), and the second is a interesting figthing class but the stances make the things a bit akward, so likely you don't need one. I think they changed that thing in EO2, but I haven't checked if that change was keep in the remake.

You have many slots for alternative units or even parties. For example, it's a good idea have at least a second party just to loot aka 5 survivalist in EO1 and 2 or 5 farmers in EO3, so you main party don't have to waste a lot of points in gathering skills.

By the way, the last two classes are Hexer and Ronin, the first one is focused in punish enemies with binds and ailments (and complements very well with a Dark Hunter wielding a whip), and the second is a interesting figthing class but the stances make the things a bit akward, so likely you don't need one. I think they changed that thing in EO2, but I haven't checked if that change was keep in the remake.
That's correct, in EO2 Ronin no longer waste a turn changing stances

No wonder it sounded familiar at some points . Also imagine recording from a live arcade center to reproduce a sound, that 4dimension level of reverse engineering

No wonder it sounded familiar at some points . Also imagine recording from a live arcade center to reproduce a sound, that 4dimension level of reverse engineering

I LOVE Yuzo Koshiro. Why is he so cool???

Haven't been able to play a lot because of work, but finally got the physicial version, now to update the altar. It also includes codes to get the dlc character portraits

d1SWz6c.jpg

Haven't been able to play a lot because of work, but finally got the physicial version, now to update the altar. It also includes codes to get the dlc character portraits

d1SWz6c.jpg
Just received mine too. Make sure to set your profile to HongKong in order to claim the free dlc.

Boi o boi would I like a special collector's physical edition.
I appreciate that PlayAsia makes other region physicals readily available, but a niche yet beloved series like this surely would have had healthy interest in even a limited local physical release. Especially if they packed the goodies!

I have great memories of my intro to the series being the 3DS demo of EO4. I thought "eh, I'll just put in several hrs, add to buy-on-sale list if I like it" ... like 15-20 hrs later, insta-bought full price on the eshop. 200+ hrs, good times (y)

d1SWz6c.jpg
Love the cover. My copy was dispatched to the transshipment HUB, I guess next week maybe lol.

I dichted my Landsknecht for a Survivalist because the latter are stupidly strong in EO1 thanks to Apollon + Multihit, so right now at B8F my party consist in Dark Hunter / Troubadour || Survivalist / Alchemist/ Medic

I think I'm going to have two main parties, one with a Alchemist (to explore the labyrinth) and one with a Hexer (to fight FOE and bosses). Alchemist are good to fight random enemies with their AoE attacks, but they are kinda boring because they only have those and a skill which poison enemies. Maybe both my Alchemist and Hexer will be a few levels behind to the other units, but training both will help the others gain even more experience and levels, so the trade off will be good.

The character slots were added to make it more like the other games. Originally I believe there were only 12? slots. As for its usage, the idea was for some classes to have multiple roles such as focusing a Landsknecht for axes and another with swords or having multiple alchemists with different elemental focuses. But in the original the issue was that leveling spare characters sucked so most found the best way to make the most out of as few characters as possible. The new game’s picnic mode is honestly a godsend because now I can have multiple parties without taking the slow time to train them.

It's a bit difficult to set up the conditions, but damn, Ectasy is still pretty amazing. And EO1 is the game where Multihit, Apollon and Caduceus exists. I hope the endgame bosses and FOEs have enough HP to use Ectasy while I spam the mentioned skills lol

I'm reading EO2 make DH and Hexers even better, so I'm quite excited about the future :p

It's a bit difficult to set up the conditions, but damn, Ectasy is still pretty amazing. And EO1 is the game where Multihit, Apollon and Caduceus exists. I hope the endgame bosses and FOEs have enough HP to use Ectasy while I spam the mentioned skills lol

I'm reading EO2 make DH and Hexers even better, so I'm quite excited about the future :p

Oh yes, they will survive it, a lot of the endgame and extra bosses have high resistance to bindings (although binds were buffed in the HD versions). And yeah Hexers in 2 are broken.

Also finally finished EO1 today . Gonna rest a little before starting 2 but it was a nostalgic trip to remind the origin of the series

So I caved last night and ponied up £71.99 for the digital collection. I got the opportunity to try the first game out on PC and it got its claws into me bad. I liked the mouse input but I actually found mapping with a controller quite intuitive after a brief period of awkwardness, and I didn't want to sacrifice portability, so I went with the Switch version.

I started last night and actually found the stylus controls to be more cumbersome than using the right stick and trigger. It just doesn't feel great to have keep going between putting the stylus down for battles and picking it up again in the field, and capacitive styli have rather large nibs blocking your field of vision (I now know why the option to offset the drawing is available). So unless I can find a fine tip capacitive stylus I think I will almost exclusively use the buttons controls with the odd drag of my finger for particular icons, which will make it easy to switch between dock and handheld.

Only slightly ashamed to say my initial party was decided more by the character portraits than potential skill sets. 😅

P.S. playing on expert. Got my arse handed to me a couple of times but now I've levelled up a few times and spent some skill points it is getting easier.

P.S. playing on expert. Got my arse handed to me a couple of times but now I've levelled up a few times and spent some skill points it is getting easier.
Something important to notices is that level difference between you and the enemy also affects the damage you deal and recieve, so leveling up does makes a difference for survival

The font isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. Would've loved to have cross save on steam deck and switch, but playing different games on each now.

Just beat Narmer and the first Stratum of EO3, here is the squad:

6XLL71.jpeg

Slowly playing this on the side on Basic difficulty. I wanted to see how much easier than the base difficulty this was, and I remember grinding my ass off at the end of original EO3 and wanted a bit more of a casual experience.

So far Basic doesn't feel too easy, probably in line with the Basic difficulties in the more recent games.

Just beat Narmer and the first Stratum of EO3, here is the squad:

6XLL71.jpeg

Slowly playing this on the side on Basic difficulty. I wanted to see how much easier than the base difficulty this was, and I remember grinding my ass off at the end of original EO3 and wanted a bit more of a casual experience.

So far Basic doesn't feel too easy, probably in line with the Basic difficulties in the more recent games.
Yeah I mentioned that before but basic just seems to be a % reduction on damage taken/ given, so it gives you an edge, but not to the point where you can auto like in picnic

Picnic is nice after a rest or retire to grind back up some levels though. Really like that the games let you switch.

Just hit the last/postgame stratum in EO1.

I finally got my copy. I booted EO1 (no plans to start it officially), did my party and did the first mission.

First impressions are great: portraits look crisp, enemies look really nice, the environment and music on point. I do not have nostalgia for EO1 cause EO2 was my first game in the series and I finished Untold 1 before going back to the original (an interesting choice). Also forgot how basic skills in 1 were lol. I also just wanted to experience the first mission cause controls took me a while to get used to and I am playing TOTK and CS3 so I do not need another control scheme lol.

Overall cant wait to dig in to the game later in the summer.

I finally got my copy. I booted EO1 (no plans to start it officially), did my party and did the first mission.

First impressions are great: portraits look crisp, enemies look really nice, the environment and music on point. I do not have nostalgia for EO1 cause EO2 was my first game in the series and I finished Untold 1 before going back to the original (an interesting choice). Also forgot how basic skills in 1 were lol. I also just wanted to experience the first mission cause controls took me a while to get used to and I am playing TOTK and CS3 so I do not need another control scheme lol.

Overall cant wait to dig in to the game later in the summer.
One of us

Hexer are really good in EO2. Topor at max level almost guarantee you will sleep the enemies and it don't need a lot of points to reach it.

What's the replayability factor like with these games? Is it a case where I beat it and then want to immediately go back in with a different squad, or will I want to wait for a bit and do other games?

What's the replayability factor like with these games? Is it a case where I beat it and then want to immediately go back in with a different squad, or will I want to wait for a bit and do other games?
Depends on how much you want to do. In all the games you have your normal story floors and once you finish the final boss there are postgame floors that requieres more strategy and probably respecs or other classes to beat the super boss. Also usually before the end there are other special bosses that appear that you can beat for some extra stuff (ie have a bigger level cap, special drops, etc).

Now originally 1 and 2 didn't have NG+ so once you finished the story you usually started to grind with other classes to find a good team agains the extra bosses / final floors and once you do that the game was done. Now with NG+ I guess you could start with a fresh team from the beginning but honestly picnic difficulty it gives you an exp boost so there is really no need to start from 0.

3 already had NG+ integrated and it expects you to do a second run since there are 2 routes with a exclusive class each one.

Ok the price for 3 on the DS is actually crazy high, I was about to ask if I, hypothetically, would find a DS copy that costs as much as the base price on Switch, would it be better to stick with the dual screen experience or if the HD version makes it better overall to play, like balance changes or such

Always wanted to play 3 ever since getting into the series with 4, shame that they didn’t just make Untold 3 on the 3DS and I will have to play it on a single screen. But yeah wondering if this is at least a “definitive version”. Does this even feel good on a single screen with a stylus, map drawing is a pretty big deal imo, would never turn auto map on

Ok the price for 3 on the DS is actually crazy high, I was about to ask if I, hypothetically, would find a DS copy that costs as much as the base price on Switch, would it be better to stick with the dual screen experience or if the HD version makes it better overall to play, like balance changes or such

Always wanted to play 3 ever since getting into the series with 4, shame that they didn’t just make Untold 3 on the 3DS and I will have to play it on a single screen. But yeah wondering if this is at least a “definitive version”. Does this even feel good on a single screen with a stylus, map drawing is a pretty big deal imo, would never turn auto map on
For EO3 there aren't a lot of changes and bugs or exploits present in the DS version can be reproduced in the HD collections (and this also happens in 1 and 2 actually). Really a lot of the balance is just them limiting how many points you can waste on an ability (IE in the original one useless ability has 10 levels, in HD it has 5 levels only) and some QoL. The biggest change would be the difficulty options.

Would I consider it a definitive version? Depends how you play. If you are going portable I would say so since you can use the touch screen to map. Docked not so much and auto mapping will save you a lot of time.

I don't understand how the Troubadour's Return skill works. I am standing on a square on the map with that has a square on the floor directly above me but it says there was nowhere to travel to? How does it work?

I don't understand how the Troubadour's Return skill works. I am standing on a square on the map with that has a square on the floor directly above me but it says there was nowhere to travel to? How does it work?
IIRC it can fail, also it doesn't work if you falled from a pit or returned to town (ie if you start at floor 11 from the geomagnetic field, you can't use return to go to floor 10)

IIRC it can fail, also it doesn't work if you falled from a pit or returned to town (ie if you start at floor 11 from the geomagnetic field, you can't use return to go to floor 10)
That would explain it! I had fell down a pit and wanted to return to the previous floor, expecting the skill to work in a way similar to the skills in Dungeon Encounters. I won't be spending any more points on this skill! Thanks!

Y'all still playing? Getting toward the end of the 3rd Stratum of EO1 and unearthing memories of Millennium Girl mapping out the floor with all the islands. Just got the purple key so have unlocked a few previously unaccessible areas.

Enjoying my time immensely. Definitely a game that gets easier as time goes on with the occasional little spikes of difficulty (damn those Servant ants and their endless horde of armoured minions).

Y'all still playing? Getting toward the end of the 3rd Stratum of EO1 and unearthing memories of Millennium Girl mapping out the floor with all the islands. Just got the purple key so have unlocked a few previously unaccessible areas.

Enjoying my time immensely. Definitely a game that gets easier as time goes on with the occasional little spikes of difficulty (damn those Servant ants and their endless horde of armoured minions).
I started it and next thing I know I was at the end of the first stratum lol. But I stopped cause I was almost done with TOTK at the time. Ill return later in the summer.

I find the early difficulty of EO1 is due to how incredibly useless early armor is lol. Cause adding 1 more def point for like 400 coins is baffling to me, specially how money works in this game. Granted its the first game, Untold 1 fixed some of those issues, so I am glad I started with 1 cause going backwards would be rough.

I started it and next thing I know I was at the end of the first stratum lol. But I stopped cause I was almost done with TOTK at the time. Ill return later in the summer.

I find the early difficulty of EO1 is due to how incredibly useless early armor is lol. Cause adding 1 more def point for like 400 coins is baffling to me, specially how money works in this game. Granted its the first game, Untold 1 fixed some of those issues, so I am glad I started with 1 cause going backwards would be rough.
Yeah at the beginning it's easier to focus on weapons because 1 point of armor is not going to do any difference. That's why I mentioned it's better to go from 1 cause later changes make it harder go back.

Started EO4 and EO3, so, so far, my progress across the games are:

EO1HD: 5th stratum
EO2HD: 4th stratum
EO3HD: 1st stratum
EO4: 2nd labyrinth

Sometimes I got a bit tired, but not enough to don't want play Etrian Odyssey. Turn out the only time I realy burn out with the series was when i was playing Nexus, which is a very packed game lol

Started EO4 and EO3, so, so far, my progress across the games are:

EO1HD: 5th stratum
EO2HD: 4th stratum
EO3HD: 1st stratum
EO4: 2nd labyrinth

Sometimes I got a bit tired, but not enough to don't want play Etrian Odyssey. Turn out the only time I realy burn out with the series was when i was playing Nexus, which is a very packed game lol
The bit that really made Nexus feel packed for me wasn’t that it’s already twice the size in the number of dungeon floors to any other game. It’s that it’s mechanic of being able to walk on raised areas effectively doubles the size of any maps where it’s in play!

Still, I’ve honestly never played an EO I didn’t like. I love them all.

I got really lucky here lol thank god Ketos didn't attacked me or my party would have been defeated. And I finally unlocked subclassing yey now that Monk with a Princess portrait will have more sense.

Back
Top Bottom