• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Elden Ring Hype Thread [Release date February 25th, 2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A one month delay is pretty minimal. I would prefer the game not have any severe technical issues.

Hopefully this will be the first FromSoft "Souls-esque" game where ultra-heavy weapons and magic can hope to compete with the Dex butter knife builds. Having seen (and run) various tests across games and gone through dozens of character builds per game it is extremely disappointing how severely heavy weapons and magic have been nerfed over time (and how stagnant spellcasting has been in its evolution). Not to say you can not do "hyper" setups with them, but there is a massive gulf of difference in terms of stat investment, DPS, stamina management, positioning/timing, resource management and more which harm build diversity in recent FromSoft titles.

A one month delay is pretty minimal. I would prefer the game not have any severe technical issues.

Hopefully this will be the first FromSoft "Souls-esque" game where ultra-heavy weapons and magic can hope to compete with the Dex butter knife builds. Having seen (and run) various tests across games and gone through dozens of character builds per game it is extremely disappointing how severely heavy weapons and magic have been nerfed over time (and how stagnant spellcasting has been in its evolution). Not to say you can not do "hyper" setups with them, but there is a massive gulf of difference in terms of stat investment, DPS, stamina management, positioning/timing, resource management and more which harm build diversity in recent FromSoft titles.
I hope they get a bit more creative with magic too. I think they toned it down too much (it's still strong though) after seeing how ridiculously powerful it is in Dark Souls 1 and 2 especially. I don't really think any From game but Bloodborne has bad build diversity though, certainly not for PVE.

I hope they get a bit more creative with magic too. I think they toned it down too much (it's still strong though) after seeing how ridiculously powerful it is in Dark Souls 1 and 2 especially. I don't really think any From game but Bloodborne has bad build diversity though, certainly not for PVE.
Technically Sekiro has bad build diversity by virtue of not really having builds

But that feels like a cop-out

Went from releasing at the same time as Arceus where I couldn’t choose to releasing at the same time as Horizon.

Sorry Horizon but this one is an easy choice.
I have a Horizon preorder at a good price so I’ll keep it. But it’s not getting played until I finish Elden Ring.

This will be my first game on the PS5 (when I eventually get one about 2 years from now).

The only question I have for myself is whether I'm buying at release or waiting until the inevitable god tier DLC releases so I can fully appreciate the end game.

I cannot imagine Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 or 3 without their DLC, so I usually just wait..... Couldn't wait for Sekiro though, that game was too much to resist and lo an behold 😂

Okay i've found the PS4 CE on Amazon.de

Anyone who hits me up with a link for the PS5 version on Amazon.de, Media Markt or Saturn will be my hero for the rest of the year.

E:

PS5 version

PC version

Xbox version

E2: All links above are from Amazon.de

Last edited:
I'm surprised by how good it looks just from a visual standpoint. Some of the spell effects and overall lighting are stunning.

I mean, I know we were promised this, but the way everything flows seamlessly together between open world and dungeons is just really nice to see. It looks like the ultimate FromSoft game with the combat from Dark Souls, improved movement from Sekiro and thematic inspirations from across their series.

This could have easily been called Dark Souls 4. It's the natural evolution of the Souls formula. I'd argue this is more Dark Souls than BotW is Zelda (not saying BotW isn't Zelda, just that it is a bigger departure from the traditional Zelda formula that Elden Ring appears to be compared to traditional Souls).

This could have easily been called Dark Souls 4. It's the natural evolution of the Souls formula. I'd argue this is more Dark Souls than BotW is Zelda (not saying BotW isn't Zelda, just that it is a bigger departure from the traditional Zelda formula that Elden Ring appears to be compared to traditional Souls).
Dark Souls 4 aka Demon Souls 5. Lol

One of the few times I'm going to invoke a media blackout for myself and just be satiated by people saying it looks based and spell animations look cooler. :LOL:

Is it evil if I'm happy with the delay so that hopefully I can play this day 1 on Steam Deck?

Yup, this looks the business. Can't wait to play.

Also, as someone who usually ignores magic in these games in favour of going pure Conan, the spells and stuff they've shown off actually look really fun.

Looks incredible, gonna be well worth the wait. I love how you can traverse the dungeons how you'd like. Jumping from ledge to ledge of those towers is so cool.

Looks great and I think From will be the first studio that makes me love a open world game.

The gameplay preview looks really good.

I only recently started playing FromSoftware games, with Bloodborne and Demon's Souls remastered last year. I loved both games a lot. I'm looking forward to grabbing this at some point in 2022.

Seems like a good mix between free-form exploration and FromSoftware's traditional "fuck you" style dungeon crawling (that guy stabbing the player from behind a corner in the castle made me feel right at home) but with the free-form nature blending into that as well, which gives me BoTW Hyrule Castle vibes honestly.

Really excited for this game, in any other year it would be basically guaranteed my GoTY but 2022 is a monster so who knows.

Game looks great. It's the most colorful Souls game yet. Melee could be a little more dynamic but all the awesome looking abilities will spice up the battles and keep them interesting. Can't wait to learn more.

Style is a mess to me, it doesn't go together. A knight in armour, running around under a giant golden elf tree, passing a black gothic carriage pulled by pink monsters. It's like 5 WoW zones blended together. Also the combat looks odd, some of the attacks are so telegraphed but the player is still getting hit by them, makes me think of the mobile phone game adverts where they deliberately fail over and over to annoy you into downloading the game to do it properly 😂

The dragon looks cool but both the Dragon and Horse mini bosses could use an attack speed up. The multi arm axe guy is much more what I was expecting. the axe twirl fake out attack from the other side and it's quick direction changing rolls look fun to figure out.

This will probably be the best open world in a long ass time. FromSoft level design applied to an open world sounds and looks glorious.

The gameplay vid has me less hyped than the op vid (that winged fight was really nice though). Still think this will be a banger.

Last edited:
Style is a mess to me, it doesn't go together. A knight in armour, running around under a giant golden elf tree, passing a black gothic carriage pulled by pink monsters.
Looks pretty coherent to me, none of those things are very weird or mismatched I feel. Ugly monsters and people in heavy armour contrasting a pretty looking world like that is pretty typical dark fantasy to me, especially the Japanese take on it.

Last edited:
The game seems to fix some problems I had with BOTW, which is one of my favorite open world games.

It seems to have a good amount of underground and indoors exploration and good variety of bosses on wide areas(botw kept recycling hynox, talus....).
Also for now, weapons doesn't seem to break all the time. Though I predict some repetitive camps given the camp they showed on footage.

Seems like a good mix between free-form exploration and FromSoftware's traditional "fuck you" style dungeon crawling (that guy stabbing the player from behind a corner in the castle made me feel right at home) but with the free-form nature blending into that as well, which gives me BoTW Hyrule Castle vibes honestly.

Really excited for this game, in any other year it would be basically guaranteed my GoTY but 2022 is a monster so who knows.
Yeah the mix looks great. I also got massive chalice dungeon vibes from the catacombs they showed off, makes me think that there will be a lot of "small" dungeons that are more chalice-y (and maybe somewhat proc-gen?) scattered around the world that function kind of like shrines in BOTW.

It looks like dark souls combat and spells (most likely with that kind of character building as well) + Sekiro-style movement and freedom + Bloodborne chalice dungeons (hopefully improved) + dark souls massive dungeons and big bosses at the end, all tied together with an open world map that lets you do it all any most any order and with lots of world map events and some BOTW influence.

... which overall sounds FANTASTIC and is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Can't wait.

The game seems to fix some problems I had with BOTW, which is one of my favorite open world games.

It seems to have a good amount of underground and indoors exploration and good variety of bosses on wide areas(botw kept recycling hynox, talus....).
Also for now, weapons doesn't seem to break all the time. Though I predict some repetitive camps given the camp they showed on footage.
The movement, traversal, clipping, physics and AI are a problem I have with Souls in general and the gameplay vid here did not inspire much confidence to compare it to other open worlds that are the best in their class.

I personally think this will be good janky fun like most Souls games though, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the gameplay loop myself. I'm excited about more options in combat and the openness, but the artstyle and atmosphere does not touch Bloodborne though, the best game in the Soulsverse imo.

The movement, traversal, clipping, physics and AI are a problem I have with Souls in general and the gameplay vid here did not inspire much confidence to compare it to other open worlds that are the best in their class.

I personally think this will be good janky fun like most Souls games though, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the gameplay loop myself. I'm excited about more options in combat and the openness, but the artstyle and atmosphere does not touch Bloodborne though, the best game in the Soulsverse imo.
Bloodborne is legitimately one of the best games of all time. I'm not sure From will ever top it in terms of world building and atmosphere.

I'm more disappointed that Elden Ring doesn't seem to evolve upon Sekiro's traversal, which was by far From's best game in that regard. Though having a jumping, teleporting horse does look pretty sweet.

I finally saw that long gameplay trailer. My goodness, the open world, jumping and riding give this series (it's DS4 in all but name) a new touch.
Also, does it feel faster paced or do I remember Dark Souls wrong?

Next year has the potential to be one of the best years ever!

I finally saw that long gameplay trailer. My goodness, the open world, jumping and riding give this series (it's DS4 in all but name) a new touch.
Also, does it feel faster paced or do I remember Dark Souls wrong?

Next year has the potential to be one of the best years ever!
It's definitely a bit faster paced than even DS3, so a good deal faster than the first game. There's the jump from Sekrio, some pretty seamless looking weapon arts and skills, and it looks like there's a dash like Bloodborne (though maybe that's tied to a skill or something, since the good ol' fashioned dodge roll is still there).

It's definitely a bit faster paced than even DS3, so a good deal faster than the first game. There's the jump from Sekrio, some pretty seamless looking weapon arts and skills, and it looks like there's a dash like Bloodborne (though maybe that's tied to a skill or something, since the good ol' fashioned dodge roll is still there).
Yeah, it really looks a step forward in combat. But with an additional dash and jump, I'm fearing about how to control the game lol.

Honestly I don't understand the DS4 commentaries, if anything this is a bigger jump than what a hypothetical fourth Dark Souls games would deliver and instead would need two or three Dark Souls games to achieve some of the stuff what is Elden Ring is doing. It feels even a bigger evolution than between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Honestly I don't understand the DS4 commentaries, if anything this is a bigger jump than what a hypothetical fourth Dark Souls games would deliver and instead would need two or three Dark Souls games to achieve some of the stuff what is Elden Ring is doing. It feels even a bigger evolution than between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
Really? I think it just looks like DS3 with an open world. Which is still really, really cool. It's harder to make a better looking open world.

Look at the assets.

Random thoughts-

My previous assumption that we were some kind of chosen tarnished like the undead/unkindled was wrong. It seems a fair amount of tarnished are wandering around like Rogier. Each with some common purpose that draws them to the lord's castles.

Godrick's underlings are hunting the tarnished that come to Stormveil for grafting. The only grafting I see are the numerous arms that Godrick has attached to himself. It seems to be his way of achieving greater heights. It's surprising as he clearly sees the tarnished as lesser beings, but still connects their arms to him.

There seems to be Megaman style boss attacks that can be used. Godrick's dragon breath attack is used by the summoned player at the end of the orange forest section against the boss. I thought this might be the case as it rewards progression in one area by giving you a special attack to use in another area. I wonder if there will be an optimum order to tackle the bosses if that's the case.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on magic+melee hybrids. I think pure melee users like me will need to add some magic to their repertoire to fight effectively.

Do we have any news about resolution and framerate acrossthe various consoles?

Last edited:
Do we have any news about resolution and framerate acrossthe various consoles?

It's a cross-gen game, so i think you can safely expect full HD or higher @ 60fps on PS5 or the Series X.

But there's probably going to be a quality and performance mode, like so many games have today. ^^

It's a cross-gen game, so i think you can safely expect full HD or higher @ 60fps on PS5 or the Series X.

But there's probably going to be a quality and performance mode, like so many games have today. ^^

Yeah that's what I'm expecting but it would be nice to have more certain info, I need to know if a series s is good enough to play the game at 60fps, otherwise I'll have to buy a ps5/series x from a scalper ç_ç

Look at the assets.
I don't think they are talking about graphics when they are saying it's a bigger jump than "DS4 in all but name" implies — at least that's not what I'm talking about. It's rather that the evolution of gameplay mechanics, for example the improved movement akin to Sekiro and the vastly opened-up level design, is a bigger evolutionary step than what could have feasibly been expected from a potential DS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom