• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Elden Ring Expansion “Shadow of the Erdtree” is Currently in Development (UP: New trailer; Release date June 21 2024)

Nice. Just hope that it won't be too much bullshit. Elden Ring, despite being marketed by FromSoft as their "most accessible one yet", I thought there was a lot of bullshit bosses in it, more so than in their other post Dark Souls 2 games. And their DLCs tend to be too complicated for my tastes.

Hoping for more Hoara Loux, and less Malenia, Elden Beast, Fire Giant...

cRKzlQ8.png

Hell yes. This might be better than the whole Partner Showcase for me, honestly. Even better to get both!

Is there a worse feeling than rushing to your copy of the game after this announcement and finding the case is empty and nowhere to be found? I'm not sure there is. Bugger me...

I've never come back to a single player game for DLC and i don't intend to start now.
Maybe i should have postponed my initial playthrough even more but i felt like playing it when i did, this expansion is coming so late.
At the end of the day i've had my fill with this game already so no regrets, it was a great time and i thouroughly enjoyed it.

Finally some news for those who've been waiting for it though, it should be meaty.

Damn, feels like a life time ago since I fell in love with this game and fromsoftware. Been waiting for this, also started Sekiro for the first time today. I've been thinking about it, and I wonder how exactly they're doing this DLC. DLCs in the other games usually have some convuluted way to find them, then you go off to another area. But I'm kinda wondering, what will the scale of this be? Because of the amount of time, you'd think it be huge but I don't wanna get super overhyped. Also, the biggest thing I'm wondering, how OBNOXIOUS will these bosses be? Everybody knows about how they seem to try and one up themselves with the boss difficulty after subsequent releases, and they were allowed to in ER due to the open nature allowing you a ton of various powers to counter guys. But the dlc bosses are always a huge step above in difficulty/ scope.

Bit more of a tangent, just the other day, I finished my replay of DS3 (was the first Souls game I played about a year before ER), my goal with that was taking out the optional bosses because I hadn't done that yet. And MANNNN, those DLC bosses absolutely beat my ass. [Granted, I think some of the reason is that I was trying to do an Int build with moonlight great sword, instead of strength like i usually do but even STILL.] My reaction to sister friede having a third phase was pretty priceless. But I say this just to hammer in how much of a step up the DLC stuff has traditionally been in these games.

One thing I could definitely see, the end of the game was a huge boss rush, and then ends with the dual final fight. Maybe we see the developers do something ridiculous with that concept? Possibly a 3 bosses back to back fight? I don't know.

Also, just one last point here. Where will this take place? What will the area theme be? One of the things that I love about Elden Ring still is how nice some of the locales are, like particularly when they lean into a unique concept like Stormveil or Farum Azula. I hope it's something that sets itself apart. Could it potentially be a painted world? Honestly, I think they'd wanna go for something different and try and make this somehow connected to the base game a bit more than something like that would be. Hmmm.... Shadow of the Erdtree, maybe like literally some kind of dark world? I have no idea honestly.

But yeeeah, there's my big spiel. Ready to finally see and [please for the love of god] get a release date tomorrow morning.

starcraft-hell-its-about-time.gif

Fucking. Finally.

But first trailer, nonononono. How about first, final and launch trailer? Please? I need this.

If they give us hype trailer after all this time just to tell us to wait 6-12 months more I will loose it.

How much is the physical CE?

I'm asking as someone who already has the OG physical CE ...

Wow!! I need to continue my Elden Ring playthrough. Got bored after Leyndell but really enjoyed my time with the game. Will need some memory refreshments....XD

Well ... Malenia is an optional boss, after all. ;D
Fire Giant isn't ! (I know many people didn't have trouble with him, but he's the one I had the most trouble with. More so than Malenia ! And also didn't like the Elden Beast)

Between summons and the open-endedness it's absolutely the easiest Souls-y game they've made if you just want to see the end. ofc a lot of the bosses are very build-dependent so different players are going to have different bottlenecks, and I don't think there's any way around that.

My take aways are that this will indeed be at least as big as like two regions of Elden Ring, feature many many new bosses, armor, spells, weapons, ashes of war and enemies. At least one legacy dungeon in the trailer, possibly two? I think that's what we all expected but nice to have confirmation. Entry through the Miquella egg confirmed as well I think.

I can't wait for this.

It is the most accessible Souls-esque game From has made even if the bosses probably more on the difficult side.
It’s been a trend in the more recent From Software games and it genuinely frustrates me. They’ve done a great job with trimming the fat and the tedium out of the formula to make it more accessible, but it feels like they cranked the artificial difficulty up to compensate. Input reading and attacks that do way too much damage aren’t fun.

Okay, this looks absolutely massive, like an entire new world, my god, 40 dollars I will gladly pay if it's as content rich as it looks.

That was fantastic, can't wait. Only downside is that June 21st is both this AND SMTV:V, but oh well! More good stuff is never a bad thing

Looks absolutely gorgeous. 🥹 FROM continue to release my favorite modern fantasy designs, love the Elden Ring decayed elegance aesthetic.

Some really beautiful landscapes in that trailer! I'll wait until next year when I have a computer that can run it at 60fps with Ray Tracing on, to truly dive into its wretched depths- and finish the fight.

Honestly, a bit more eager to see what FROM releases next! 🙏

Is this a stand alone thing or is it an expansion of the existing game? I’m hoping an expansion as I had to spend 20 hours (finished two whole audio books) grinding my health bar to make the difficulty more manageable so it would be nice to use my existing character.

Is this a stand alone thing or is it an expansion of the existing game? I’m hoping an expansion as I had to spend 20 hours (finished two whole audio books) grinding my health bar to make the difficulty more manageable so it would be nice to use my existing character.
Expansion like previous Soulsbornez- use your current or previous character to touch an item in game and be transported to a new realm a little larger than the size of Limgrave evidently.

Last edited:
Yo folks, there's previews dropping for this DLC!

Over 10 new bosses, 8 new weapon categories (aka weapon types).
There's no way, you know I was thinking yeah, they'll add a lot of new weapons but probably from existing categories. No WAY there's 8 new class types. INSANE

Per the IGN interview:

The entrance to the DLC area (it’s standalone) is the egg with Miquella’s arm in Mohg’s boss arena, so it’s going to be very late game to access.

Per the IGN interview:

The entrance to the DLC area (it’s standalone) is the egg with Miquella’s arm in Mohg’s boss arena, so it’s going to be very late game to access.
Oof, I'm on NG+4 at the starting area. Gonna take a minute to get back there.

Still thinking about this. June 21st is both simultaneously not that far off, and yet still feels so far off, lol.

Huh, if it releases in the next year or so I’ll probably wait for the DLC to drop before I venture into Elden Ring.
I also increasingly tend to wait for additional content like this. As someone who hardly ever plays single-player games again or even starts them up again once I've finished them, late DLC releases like this are always completely wasted potential for me.

Edit: loool, I wrote the almost same thing a year ago already.
My memory's leaving me hanging, ahaha.

Back
Top Bottom