• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES), Dig Dug 2 (NES) and Mappy Land (NES) are available now on NSO

Earthworm Jim 2 is a pretty stellar game, but yes we should have gotten Harvest Moon as well. Hopefully we'll get it as a catch up the next time Japan gets a Japanese only rpg.

I don’t think I’ve ever played Earthworm Jim 2. Time to fix that!

So much for no more SNES/NES games.

Well that's random. Nice to see that Nintendo remembered that the NES & SNES services still exist!

Square Enix might want to release it on its own.
They can't. Nintendo have the final say on how that game gets re-released since they own the game itself. S-E are probably just asking for more cash for the Switch release rights since they still own many of that game's original characters (which Nintendo need to licence); and are essentially holding that game to ransom until Nintendo pays up.

I don’t think I’ve ever played Earthworm Jim 2. Time to fix that!

So much for no more SNES/NES games.
I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have seen any further NES/SNES games without the Expansion Pack revenue giving the NSO licencing team more cash to purchase 3rd party game publishing rights. So you have the Expansion Pack punters to thank for this!

I hate NSO as much as Randy Pitchford presumably hates himself.

yay Mappyyyyyyyyyyyyy

giphy.webp

Dang. I really can't look at Jim anymore and not think of Doug and all he's done and said unfortunately. :(

But on the other hand I love Mappy and Dig Dug.

Sorry if this is a downer post, I'm not asking anyone else to feel that way.

Separate licensors in the East and west, and they hate each other and last thing they collabed on was HM64 on VC which took years to finish
This. The games are owned by Marvelous, while the original western name "Harvest Moon" is owned by Natsume.

The reason why 64 was on Virtual Console was probably because Natsume still kept publishing rights for the older games for a short period, but that's probably gone back to Marvelous by this point. As they published a remake of Friends of Mineral Town under the "new" (It's always been called this in Japan) Story of Seasons name.
670360-story-of-seasons-friends-of-mineral-town-nintendo-switch-front-cover.jpg

Dig Dug 2 is a good get. That and Mappy seem like Namco trying to get people interested in their collection.

(Probably should expect Galaga and Xevious at some point too)

This just shows how low our expectations have become. It really sucks that a 4/10 release month is just good enough at this point.
To be fair there have been a good deal of updates in March. This is one of the only decent months for NSO tbh. But they should be way more consistent.

They can't. Nintendo have the final say on how that game gets re-released since they own the game itself. S-E are probably just asking for more cash for the Switch release rights since they still own many of that game's original characters (which Nintendo need to licence); and are essentially holding that game to ransom until Nintendo pays up.
They can't.
What I mean is I could see Square pushing for a HD 2D release or no release at all for Super Mario RPG on the Switch. Weird that the game is on the WiiU but not the 3DS.

Still waiting on Super Mario RPG...(Ideally it'll go up for purchase instead, but still!)

Would also like to see StarTropics 2 hit NSO since the first game is there. I did buy a Wii U copy so I'm covered either way.

So we ended up getting game(s) for all four apps in March. I'll take it.

Now give me Super Mario RPG!

I played some Dig Dug 2 earlier. Had never played it before but it's a fun little game. Seemed really easy until I got swarmed lol.

What I mean is I could see Square pushing for a HD 2D release or no release at all for Super Mario RPG on the Switch. Weird that the game is on the WiiU but not the 3DS.

S-E have no say in anything to do with SMRPG. At all. They do not own any rights to that game whatsoever. They have no leg to stand on to make demands of any kind from Nintendo.

What S-E do own are the original characters that feature throughout that game. As such, Nintendo need to pay S-E a fee for the rights to those characters in order to be able to either re-release SMRPG itself, or release new games that feature those old original SMRPG characters (as was the case for Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on GBA; which licensed Geno for a cameo).

I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo and Square have some joint stake in SMRPG that's going to require both to be onboard with that game being reissued. Square just isn't interested in Switch online so I just don't see it making it to the service. I still maintain Square is going to give that game the Pixel Remaster treatment and release it like that. I'm sure Nintendo wants it on Switch and would prefer the app but if Square won't budge on that I'm sure they'd be okay with a Pixel Remaster.

I've never played Earthworm Jim, is starting with 2 okay?

S-E have no say in anything to do with SMRPG. At all. They do not own any rights to that game whatsoever. They have no leg to stand on to make demands of any kind from Nintendo.

What S-E do own are the original characters that feature throughout that game. As such, Nintendo need to pay S-E a fee for the rights to those characters in order to be able to either re-release SMRPG itself, or release new games that feature those old original SMRPG characters (as was the case for Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on GBA; which licensed Geno for a cameo).
I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo and Square have some joint stake in SMRPG that's going to require both to be onboard with that game being reissued. Square just isn't interested in Switch online so I just don't see it making it to the service. I still maintain Square is going to give that game the Pixel Remaster treatment and release it like that. I'm sure Nintendo wants it on Switch and would prefer the app but if Square won't budge on that I'm sure they'd be okay with a Pixel Remaster.
I'm thinking the same thing to be honest. Since Nintendo had the pockets, Square wants to have the bill footed by Nintendo.

I feel like white Dorito-mongering GenX YouTubers are the only ones that like Earthworm Jim nowadays...

Tell me that this doesn't check out... Right?!
I liked Earthworm Jim back in the Genesis days, and I'm not GenX and I really don't like Doritos.

Though I am crotchety and kinda on the older end of the millennial scale.. and I love rotary engines, which people call "Dorito motors" because of their internal shape

So uh..

. . . huh. 🤔

I liked Earthworm Jim back in the Genesis days, and I'm not GenX and I really don't like Doritos.

Though I am crotchety and kinda on the older end of the millennial scale.. and I love rotary engines, which people call "Dorito motors" because of their internal shape

So uh..

. . . huh. 🤔
Nah, I'm just busting everyone's chops at this point.

I've never played Earthworm Jim, is starting with 2 okay?
Yes, it's fine to start with 2. Story in Earthworm Jim is almost non existent so you won't be lost or anything. I think I prefer the first game but 2 is good too. (Too bad the creator turned out to be trash)

Nah, I'm just busting everyone's chops at this point.
But now I've moved clear past Earthworm Jim and am seriously wondering if I actually am a Dorito-mongering GenXer.
I mean I literally just built a rotary pickup last year

Well, no, that's not really true. We can actually see this from the boot-up screen, which I've lazily cropped from YouTube:

zZKtG6G.png

Notice the two separate copyright sections. The first one is for the game itself, which is co-owned between Nintendo and Square. Obviously Square cannot do anything with this game without Nintendo, but Nintendo also cannot do anything with this game without Square.

The second part is regarding the characters themselves, which as you've noted, some of which are wholly owned by Nintendo, others of which are wholly owned by Square. Note the use of a comma instead of a slash like the game copyright. Already existing Mario characters (and presumably characters that are derivative of Mario characters, though this isn't guaranteed) are wholly owned by Nintendo, while the entirely original characters like Geno and Mallow are wholly owned by Square.

So yes, Square-Enix is co-owner of Mario RPG, as well as fully owning certain characters. They very much DO have a leg to stand on. And even if for some reason, the game itself was fully owned by Nintendo, Square fully owning certain characters would still give them a large say. If SE wanted too much money for Nintendo to use the original characters, or SE was simply unwilling to let Nintendo use them period, what would Nintendo do? Edit the game to replace every original character? It would be easier to just not release it at all.

The point is, SE does own some rights to Mario RPG, and they definitely have a say as to what happens with the game.

Harvest Moon was one of my favorite games on the SNES and I still have my copy to this day, it's too bad it was skipped in favor of Earthworm Jim 2.

I feel like white Dorito-mongering GenX YouTubers are the only ones that like Earthworm Jim nowadays...

Tell me that this doesn't check out... Right?!
Definitely. It's boomer city right there.

The game is legitimately awful by any modicum of modern standards.

Its such a shame that Nintendo has made it relatively easy for boomers to relive their nostalgia nowadays. The only things that people who grew up with the Wii and GC are overpriced "remaster".

When the Wii launched with virtual console, the SNES was only 16 years old. Which allowed for cheap, and accessible versions of retro games. Now, the Wii is 16 years old as well, and the only thing we have to show for it is a good HD remaster of Skyward Sword, and a hands off port of Mario Galaxy, both at full price.

I am half joking and half not. So take me about 50% seriously everyone. It's a shame that 2000's nostalgia though isn't very accessible though.

I have a massive nostalgia for the original dig dug, right next to pac man if not exceeding it due to it being less prevalent in years to follow. I never knew there was a sequel though, what a cool add.

Back
Top Bottom