• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince |ST| Shin Megoomi Tensei

I am noticing some rougher performance in some areas, which is unfortunate. Despite that slight disappointment, I'm still loving this game! I have spent a lot of time experimenting with synthesis and trying to build well-balanced teams.

I never paid too much attention to monster designs in mainline DQ games, but I am appreciating them a lot more here in DQ Monsters. My favorite so far is Croc-a-bugle-doo 😁

Apparently the game is getting an update, hopefully the performance will be improved somewhat. The game seems to be getting great word of mouth.

Working through the middle echelons, I'm noticing that the bosses are getting a bit more challenging. They aren't overpowering me at all, but they really slow me down with status moves like poison, stun, sleep, etc. I have some spells that cure these ailments, but whenever I use them, the bosses will just keep spamming their ailment spells. I don't currently have a good way to completely avoid ailments, so some battles have been close calls.

I'm assuming boss fights won't get any easier, so should I prioritize resistance talents when fusing monsters? Are there any items or accessories that help?

Anyone have any strategies for this Whitewhorl boss? The game has been relatively breezy difficulty wise so far but this guy is a huge spike, utterly kicking my ass. I even tried leveling up some new guys with better buff and anti-breath abilities and they got wiped on the first then before they could even do anything.

I like this game, but not sure I like it enough to grind away for hours…

Anyone have any strategies for this Whitewhorl boss? The game has been relatively breezy difficulty wise so far but this guy is a huge spike, utterly kicking my ass. I even tried leveling up some new guys with better buff and anti-breath abilities and they got wiped on the first then before they could even do anything.

I like this game, but not sure I like it enough to grind away for hours…
I can't speak for that boss because I haven't done that part, but I'm feeling the same way with this game right now. Claudio is destroying my team, and it just feels like he's too fast for me to have a chance.

This is the type of problem that made me drop Dragon Quest 7, and almost made me drop Dragon Quest 8. The gameplay in all of these games are great, but the difficulty spikes are just ridiculous.

EDIT: after making this post, I decided to take a break from that boss and go to the next echelon, and that one had a much easier boss despite having the same difficulty rating. At least I'm still making progress...

Last edited:
I can't speak for that boss because I haven't done that part, but I'm feeling the same way with this game right now. Claudio is destroying my team, and it just feels like he's too fast for me to have a chance.

This is the type of problem that made me drop Dragon Quest 7, and almost made me drop Dragon Quest 8. The gameplay in all of these games are great, but the difficulty spikes are just ridiculous.

EDIT: after making this post, I decided to take a break from that boss and go to the next echelon, and that one had a much easier boss despite having the same difficulty rating. At least I'm still making progress...

Yeah, this guy is the last boss of the middle echelons and just hits like a tank. Often uses his two attacks to hit the entire party for 150-200 damage each, then his two adds get to go as well. Immune to everything (another grievance with this game) and super high speed so you can’t even get ahead of anything. You’re screwed before you can even start a strategy.

Yeah, this guy is the last boss of the middle echelons and just hits like a tank. Often uses his two attacks to hit the entire party for 150-200 damage each, then his two adds get to go as well. Immune to everything (another grievance with this game) and super high speed so you can’t even get ahead of anything. You’re screwed before you can even start a strategy.
So I actually just beat the Whitewhirl boss, but it required a lot of luck. My party is heavily focused on physical attack power, but the biggest flaw is that I don't have a great healer right now. I only had one monster left with around 40 HP, and he managed to land the final hit.

I can't say I had much of a strategy other than using my hardest hitting attacks as much as possible. I got wiped out 3 times before beating it, and I would probably lose if I had to do that fight again.

Despite some frustrations, I hit the credits and can say that I had a pretty good time with this game. It got pretty tough towards the end, but I lucked out and gained around 15-20 levels from a metal king slime before the final dungeon. That gave me the HP buffer I needed to keep up with the final boss.

Seems today a new update came out, but so far the only change I have noticed is that you can now teleport directly to the basement of rosehill tower.

Seems today a new update came out, but so far the only change I have noticed is that you can now teleport directly to the basement of rosehill tower.
It's the patch they mentioned on the 18th. Here is the machine translated version of the japanese site, expecting the announcement tomowrrow on the western account

qrfhXxP.png

Wrapped up my time with the game today - finished the last boss but won't do post-game.

It was a lot of fun! I've never finished a DQM game before so it was nice to spend plenty of time with one. Atmosphere was great and I like the story's tone, much different from a regular DQ game. I do wish there were less egg-exclusive monsters and more variety on the overworld, but that's a little nitpick.

I’m just getting into this now and it’s a lot of fun! It took a bit to really get going, but now that I unlocked monster fusion and am in the lava echelon it feels like things are kicking into gear. So far it’s been very easy, but based on the responses here that’s not going to last!

I had been rolling through the game and then got stopped in my tracks at Claudio. Up until that point I hadn't bothered with having a healer in my party as it hadn't really been needed. I spent a couple hours doing some synthesizing to get a Flutter Slime, which is a great healer, as it has the 'Cure-All' talent and the 'Health Professional' trait. After that, I was able to beat Claudio with ease.

I'm really having a lot of fun with this. It just has a great loop of scouting/synthesizing and really rewards you for planning some good combinations.

I loved getting an S rank and then just utterly sweeping the final boss, haha. Need to get around to doing the post-game now!

Also that water dungeon was just as bad as I'd been warned. So much trial and error... SO MUCH...

Back
Top Bottom