• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince |ST| Shin Megoomi Tensei

MissingNo.

Squirtle Squad Leader
Pronouns
he/him

cifTz6u.jpg

Quick Facts

Release date:2023/12/01
Platforms:Nintendo Switch
Genre:Turn-Based RPG, Monster Collecting
Developer:Square Enix
Publisher:Square Enix
Rating:PEGI 12, USK 12, ESRB T, CERO B
File size:4.2 GB
Physical release:Standard Edition
Demo:available on Nintendo eShop
Voices:Japanese, English
Text:Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian

Dragon Quest Monsters’ 25th Anniversary

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince (titled Dragon Quest Monsters 3 in Japan) commemorates the 25th anniversary of the Dragon Quest Monsters spin-off series, which first debuted on Game Boy in 1998. It ties into the story of Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, while being its own, standalone experience. So in case you haven’t played DQ4 – don’t worry about it! And if you never played a Monsters game before, this looks like the perfect place to start.

Gameplay

Dragon Quest Monsters is a monster collecting RPG with turn-based battles, similar to Pokémon and especially Shin Megami Tensei. In terms of game mechanics, it leans a lot more heavily towards the latter.

Like in SMT, DQM allows for monsters to be fused to create new species through a process called Synthesis. Your active party consists of up to four monsters being deployed simultaneously, and instead of catching monsters, you have to convince them to join the party – though DQM doesn’t have monsters interrogating you like SMT does, leaving it instead to a percentage based chance that can vary depending on the makeup of your current active party and the targeted monster. You can increase your chances by tossing them something to snack on, if you like. And in some instances, a defeated monster will jump on its feet again and ask to join you.

qcdY3cd.jpg

When creating your party, one thing to keep in mind is that monsters come in different sizes, and this affects how many of them you can send into battle simultaneously. Small monsters act once per turn, and take up one of your four active slots each. Large monsters act multiple times per turn and have higher attributes than their small counterparts, at the cost of taking up two slots each. Depending on your preference, battles play out either with monsters acting on their own after having been assigned a tactical role, or through direct commands. Aside from your four active slots, there are also four reserve slots at your disposal.

Characters​

08MemG1.jpg

Psaro: The game’s main protagonist. A demihuman who has been cursed by his father, the Master of Monsterkind, and is now unable to harm anyone with monster blood coursing through their veins. In order to exert his vengeance, he becomes a Monster Wrangler. Physically incapable of smiling.

UiUmgnQ.jpg

Rose: Early on in the game’s story, this gentle, kind-hearted elven girl finds herself on the run, ends up being saved by Psaro, and swiftly decides to follow and aid him on his quest to attack and dethrone his father as a companion. Has the cutest shoes, and she knows it.

Ay1Uqja.jpg

Toilen Trubble: A researcher of magic, this young lad joins Psaro to scour the underworld, Nadiria, for magical ingredients and other treasures that can’t be found in the human world. Fell victim to the worst dad joke, and can’t afford pants his size after having spent all his moolah on that spiffing cane.

y5xsFTn.jpg

Fizzy: A mysterious little fuzzball who sees potential in Psaro, chooses to show him the ropes, and continues to aid him on his journey to become the very best Monster Wrangler, like no one ever was. Has never seen a doctor’s office from the inside thanks to one simple trick.

Monsters​

There’s over 500 (yes, more than five-hundred) different monsters to collect in this game, including all-time favourites, but also brand spanking new ones! For example, check out Vegandragora, Ronin Raccoon, and the absolutely brilliant Goomulonimbus, which is not only a fantastic pun, but has instantaneously become one of my favourite monster designs in all of Dragon Quest.

kaIhV5I.jpg

Nadiria​

Besides the human world, Terrestria, Psaro’s adventure will take you to the underworld Nadiria, where the bulk of this adventure takes place. It is split into a number of distinct realms, called Circles, each of which is comprised of a Lower, Middle, and Upper Echelon. Different monsters made their home in different parts of the worlds, and both weather and seasonal changes will affect which ones you will be able to find at any given time as well.

cQGHkfy.jpg

Different parts of each area will also become available based on the current season. Waterfalls may freeze up, revealing a hidden cave. Vines may spurt up, allowing you to climb to previously inaccessible sections.

Players who have previously enjoyed Dragon Quest IV will also be able to return to some iconic locations of that game, including Rose Hill, Diabolic Hall, and Zenithia. You will also be able to test the mettle of your team of monsters in the Endor Colosseum.

Online Functionality​

Last but not least, there are different online modes to check out. Feeling competitive? Jump into Online Battles for some ranked matches or tournaments, earning rare accessories and other goodies as you rise in ranks. You can battle your friends, too! There’s also Quickfire Contests, tournaments in which the data of 30 players is used to simulate the outcome of battles instantaneously, allowing you to earn one reward per day. The Online Shop offers different wares every 24 hours depending on your story progress, so make sure to check in regularly. You wouldn’t want to miss out on those sweet, sweet deals.

Downloadable Content​

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about this. There’s three DLC packs included in the Digital Deluxe Edition that are also available to be purchased individually: Treasure Trunks, featuring a chest that spawns one out of 10 items every hour; Coach Joe’s Dungeon Gym, which contains randomly generated challenge dungeons; and The Mole Hole, which contains dungeons that make it easier to recruit monsters you have previously formed bonds with. Each pack includes an alternative outfit for Psaro. There’s also a pre-order bonus that applies to the retail version and standard digital version as well.

One last thing...​

As a closer to this OP, I would like to ask a simple question: Which is your favourite monster design in the Dragon Quest series, and why? Whether you’ve had a clear favourite for years or have a hard time narrowing it down, I’m looking forward to everyone’s answers, and will make sure to post my own.

Other than that…

Have a gooreat time, everyone!

You might also want to check out:

Official English Website
Press Kit
eShop
Pre-release Thread (archived)

ITn1Dax.jpg

Which is your favourite monster design in the Dragon Quest series, and why?
Gem Slimes, Drake Slimes and Great dragons.

Obtaining a Gem Slime felt basically impossible in Dragon Quest Monsters 2 as a kid so naturally it became like a mewtwo to me and hey, that's cuteness overload AND monetary value in one.

Bringing me to Drake Slime; simple, cute, dragon. Where monetary value makes room for the most powerful creature there is:

Great Dragon, since the gbc sprite until it became 3D it remains my all-time favorite clean dragon monster design. It feels powerful and solid.

Great ST, thank you!

As for my favourite monster, I don't really know... There are so many great ones. One of my favourites would probably be the Small Fry family of monsters. Just because they're so cute, yet kinda cool. And Toriyama's dragons always look amazing!

I especially like the Frizzard variant colouring:
DQV_-_Frizzard.png

Edit: how could I forget?! Great Sabrecub (and the sabrecat) is also among my favourites. Not a coincidence that both Small Fry and Sabrecub appear in DQV, one of my favourite games of all time. Especially with Sabrecub playing a big role in the game. Such a cute little thing.

Great_sabrecub_tact.png

Your thread title is amazing MissingNo!

Curious to hear impressions as people play through :)

Super hyped about this one, after 3 games Square denied to us, we finally getting back to action! Ate the demo up, did everything I can in there, scouted every single adorable monster, I'm ready to do the same in the full version.

Which is your favourite monster design in the Dragon Quest series, and why?
Definitely Meowgician:

Meowgician_Artwork.png

Why? I know personally a few feline friends who dabble in dark magic. One of them lives in my house lol

Other monster designs I love:
Moosifier--------------------------Weartiger: --------------------------Shogum: ------------------------and of course, the hilarious Catula:
DQIVDS_-_Moosifer.png
DQIVDS_-_Weartiger.png
DQIX_-_Shogum.png
Catula_Artwork.png

Super hyped about this one, after 3 games Square denied to us, we finally getting back to action! Ate the demo up, did everything I can in there, scouted every single adorable monster, I'm ready to do the same in the full version.

Definitely Meowgician:

Meowgician_Artwork.png

Why? I know personally a few feline friends who dabble in dark magic. One of them lives in my house lol

Other monster designs I love:
Moosifier--------------------------Weartiger: --------------------------Shogum: ------------------------and of course, the hilarious Catula:
DQIVDS_-_Moosifer.png
DQIVDS_-_Weartiger.png
DQIX_-_Shogum.png
Catula_Artwork.png
Shogum is great, but I'm always biased towards the Slime-based ones.

Congrats! Hope you have fun. Is there any big patch already and does it have any reversible cover?
No reversible cover, sadly, just the usual plain white with health and safety and what not. 1.0.1 was on the cart, and a ~170 MB update brought it to 1.0.2.

Nice job on the ST! I won’t be playing right away sadly, but I’m really looking forward to it.

As for everyone else: there’s no slime to ooze! Get you some monsters!

Really looking forward to diving into this! I only ever played the first and second game way back on the Gameboy color, so it'll be a big jump for me.

Which is your favorite monster design in the Dragon Quest series, and why?

I might be boring, but I've always really like the slime family, so probably one of those. Maybe Healslime or Drake slime.

Lol that's name. Hope everyone enjoys it, I'm not going to be able to play it this month since I had to fix my car and there's all the Christmas presents to buy so I'm on a tight budget on December.

As for monster design I really like the golem and the statues

Fantastic ST. I will join the DQM train later, I got a trip coming up soon that might limit my playing time.

As for my favorite monster design, its the Puppeteer. A C rank monster that in the first Joker game, I synthesized till late game with some weird abilities lol.

h6CaoX9.png

I completely forgot this was out tomorrow. I won’t be playing it for a bit, but I’m looking forward to it down the line! Never played a Monsters game before but I loved the monster recruitment in DQ8.

Still no reviews, huh ? No codes were sent ?

Square Enix are so good at marketing.
Some reviewers on Era said that codes were sent out today so yeah, we're not getting reviews for a while

Shame because while I'm pretty interested in the game and loved the demo, I'm not sure I want to bite at full price without some idea of how the game is past the demo

By the way, this chart might be useful to find out which starter you can get and how to answer the quiz if you want a specific one:

Really disappointed that the monsters transfered over from the demo are actively worse than monsters you recruit. As in they only get 1 set for skillpoints instead of 2 and get half the skillpoints.

I haven't unlocked combining like i did in the demo yet, but I'm hoping that the monster manual will save a list of discovered formulas.

I just realised I never gave an update on this, but I only managed to play for ~3 hours yesterday. Already addicted to scouting all the different monster species I come across. Gotta catch 'em all, indeed!

The G and F rank Endor Colosseum fights were simple enough, and when I stopped my playthrough, I had just arrived at the Maulosseum. So far I have only experienced one instance where a monster wanted to join my party after being defeated, and it was a Skeleton. Neat.

While I was initially kinda let down by the lack of new mechanics and insinuated the game was 'archaic' I really have to take that back.

Midway the game picks up pace and becomes like the Dragon Quest Monster games I loved. Yes, the game is great BUT it is plagued by some problems similar to Pokemon. None of these games are really pushing the genre forward.

But maybe that's why I like this game...

Great ST @MissingNo.! Unfortunately I won't be able to play this until Christmas since it's the present my sister is giving me. Looking forward to playing a DQM game after all this time though.

I'm really enjoying it so far. It is pretty simplistic, but I think my nostalgia for both Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest Monsters really helps. I'm a little over 10 hours in (probably half of it spent synthesizing) and this is my current crew:

8wr3kHG.png

What monsters are you all going with?

I'm not sure I completely understand the synthesizing, but I'm mostly just aiming to do any of the combinations that allow for upping the rank.

I'm really enjoying it so far. It is pretty simplistic, but I think my nostalgia for both Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest Monsters really helps. I'm a little over 10 hours in (probably half of it spent synthesizing) and this is my current crew:

8wr3kHG.png

What monsters are you all going with?

I'm not sure I completely understand the synthesizing, but I'm mostly just aiming to do any of the combinations that allow for upping the rank.

I'm currently running with a Bambooligan, Slime Knight, Suckling Octer (which I sometimes swap out for a Croc-a-Bugle-Boo), and Chocolate Golem as my main four, with the reserves rotating as needed. Pretty physical attack-heavy, but I just like going with my favourite designs (plus the Bambooligan's got some pretty nice debuffs to throw around).

Last edited:
I played some of the demo today and ordered a physical copy. Luckily, I managed to find one that will be delivered in a few days.

I did not really know what I was getting into since I have never played a DQ Monsters game before this. It's really fun to just wander around and collect monsters, and I haven't even touched the fusing yet. I read somewhere that you might like this if you liked Pokemon Legends: Arceus, and I see many points the two games have in common. It also helps that I really like the Dragon Quest main series!

Yeah it’s a good game, I didn’t have a whole lot to do today and played 4 hours across a few sessions, which is the most I’ve played a game in a day since Zelda. Just a nice easy loop, brisk pacing, addictive little systems, and such a huge variety of monsters to collect and tinker with.

You're all really making me want to pick this up! I might make it my Christmas/holiday game this year, it sounds like just the kind of thing I need right about now.

I will probably only get back to this around the holidays. Too busy playing RE in my free time right now, but I'm looking forward to just be lazy all day and chill on the sofa and scout some monsters.

More people need to be playing this, just gonna say it.

It's super fun and addictive, and it's a true third party Switch exclusive from a major franchise -- supporting these types of games is important.

More people need to be playing this, just gonna say it.

It's super fun and addictive, and it's a true third party Switch exclusive from a major franchise -- supporting these types of games is important.
I actually did buy a physical copy to show support both for the reasons you mentioned but also because it's Dragon Quest and it needs all the support it can. I just haven't started it yet since I'm playing a few other games right now.

This game is so fun! I can see myself spending lots of hours just running around and trying to see everything. I have a few more days of work this week, but I'm all in on this once I get some time off for the holidays.

The story here certainly takes some directions I… wasn't quite expecting. Definitely keeps you guessing, though, I’ll give it that much!

This game is so fun! I can see myself spending lots of hours just running around and trying to see everything. I have a few more days of work this week, but I'm all in on this once I get some time off for the holidays.

I wasn’t expecting to enjoy just running around exploring as much as I have here. They did a really good job with the whole gameplay loop.

Yep, still having a blast 16+ hours in. Though the first middle echelon they made you do was probably the worst world so far, way too maze-y (both the world and the dungeon). Fortunately the ones since have been better, and the story is getting super wacky.

I tend to focus on monsters with super high defense and decent attack. It's nice to have a squad that only take single digit damage from physical attacks. Just starting to get my first Rank C guys.

Would recommend buying the DLC if you can. Just played a few hours on my Lite while the Switch is downloading Witcher 3 on the dock.

Would recommend buying the DLC if you can. Just played a few hours on my Lite while the Switch is downloading Witcher 3 on the dock.
I have the base game but haven’t started it yet - is the DLC well-implemented? I wasn’t sure it’d be worth it or not

I have the base game but haven’t started it yet - is the DLC well-implemented? I wasn’t sure it’d be worth it or not

If you want to minmax and try and save a lot of time farming to synthesize monsters, it is worth it. For a lot of folks, the min max / real grind starts after the story so you could get it then. I used some stuff in the middle.

Most of my party is just slime variants at the moment, I love the silly ones like the choco au pain slime. I'm just getting into the advanced areas now, so nearing endgame I think? Around 40 hours ingame at this point and loving it.

Back
Top Bottom