• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Dr. Mario, Mario Golf and Mario Tennis for Game Boy are coming to Nintendo Switch Online (out now!)

Never tried these games other than Dr. Mario (which I couldn't get into), however it's cool to see the value of NSO continue to grow over time as they keep adding more retro games.

Oh boy, you're in to a treat with Mario Tennis.

Man, Mario Golf is a joy to play. Looking forward to clearing a bit more of it.

Kinda crazy that Dr Mario never got a full and complete release on Switch. You'd think that's one of the lock releases on any platform.

Anyway, I'm glad this one is here and I'm not gonna get anything done today because of it.

Kinda crazy that Dr Mario never got a full and complete release on Switch. You'd think that's one of the lock releases on any platform.

Anyway, I'm glad this one is here and I'm not gonna get anything done today because of it.
I guess what do you do with Dr Mario at this point to make it stand out over just play any of the nso versions? Probably just a 99/battle royale style game, or a cross over with another puzzle game like panel de pon or puyo puyo.

I guess what do you do with Dr Mario at this point to make it stand out over just play any of the nso versions? Probably just a 99/battle royale style game, or a cross over with another puzzle game like panel de pon or puyo puyo.

Port Dr. Mario World! Incredibly under-appreciated game with over a thousand mind-bending and cleverly constructed puzzles and tons of Marioverse characters to choose from.

A Tetris Effect version of Dr. Mario could have been dope. Same gameplay we know and love but with trippy & gorgeous art that accompanies that. maybe some remix versions of traditional Dr Mario themes?

Port Dr. Mario World! Incredibly under-appreciated game with over a thousand mind-bending and cleverly constructed puzzles and tons of Marioverse characters to choose from.
I really wish theyā€™d do thisā€¦ And get rid of the microtransactions and other free-to-play shit while theyā€™re at it, too. Iā€™m sad that I didnā€™t get to play much of the game before it was shut downā€¦

Mario Golf is really fun! I suck at golf, virtual or otherwise, but I'm having a good time with this. Very beginner friendly while not holding your hand.

It's funny how there's both US and EU versions of Mario Golf purely for the metrics on GB NSO, but did not bother to do that for N64 NSO.

Cook, now we just need the N64 games to get the transfer pack stuff.
Itā€™s not equivalent tho? The n64 content isnā€™t just course like the GBC side, the bulk of it is the custom characters you import from the GBC games that have been upgraded to your tastes. Thereā€™s no way to alter them post transfer so theyā€™d either have to do random presets or base versions which would be useless

Well, at least they fixed the issue of content being locked, though I have no idea why they don't just do Transfer Pak emulation anyway. I mean, obviously the answer is because features = development = time/money, but I just can't imagine it's too much work (and NERD has probably already done a lot of it) to throw in as a sweetener.

Back in the day, I hacked my 3DS for the sole purpose of exporting my Mario Tennis save, unlocking the extra content, and then reinjecting it. Good times.

Are the N64 games u with transfer pak stuff? If so, that could be really great for the PokƩmon stadium games

Itā€™s not equivalent tho? The n64 content isnā€™t just course like the GBC side, the bulk of it is the custom characters you import from the GBC games that have been upgraded to your tastes. Thereā€™s no way to alter them post transfer so theyā€™d either have to do random presets or base versions which would be useless
There are 6 courts to unlock in Mario Tennis N64 and require Transfer Pak and even progress in the save of Mario Tennis GBC. It's not much, but they could have done something about that.
Well, at least they fixed the issue of content being locked, though I have no idea why they don't just do Transfer Pak emulation anyway. I mean, obviously the answer is because features = development = time/money, but I just can't imagine it's too much work (and NERD has probably already done a lot of it) to throw in as a sweetener.

Back in the day, I hacked my 3DS for the sole purpose of exporting my Mario Tennis save, unlocking the extra content, and then reinjecting it. Good times.
Transfer Pak emulation is purely on the responsibility of the N64 emulator, as there's no GB emulation needed here aside from cartridge bus.
Transfer Pak is not really difficult to emulate, but I can see potential issues with saves:
  • Whether or not the GB save should also be part of the N64 save state for stability reasons (and therefore you could accidentally rollback your GB save for the GB NSO app)
  • And whether GB save modifications could also accidentally rollback the save in the cloud if you didn't sync up an up to date GB NSO save from another system.

this is the most lukewarm and neutral i have ever felt about something ever.

that's impressive i wanna feel that unbothered by the outcome of anything like this again.

(they should have been their own ip, being mario brought eyes on them but overtime it killed the fun rpg sports anime-esque appeal )
if camelot makes a tennis game without mario i am 100% on board it would probably be my most hyped game of all time.

seriously camelot is the most underutilized nintnedo partner, let them make an rpg please.

Looking forward to these, especially Tennis. Haven't played them in ages as I usually go for the GBA entries.

this is the most lukewarm and neutral i have ever felt about something ever.

that's impressive i wanna feel that unbothered by the outcome of anything like this again.

(they should have been their own ip, being mario brought eyes on them but overtime it killed the fun rpg sports anime-esque appeal )
if camelot makes a tennis game without mario i am 100% on board it would probably be my most hyped game of all time.

seriously camelot is the most underutilized nintnedo partner, let them make an rpg please.
Maybe in a few years if the Takahashis decide to retire and sell to Nintendo

I wish Camelot would bring back more human characters into their sports games. I get that Mii's kind of defeat the purpose, but there was a charm to having humans like Allie, Harry, Brian, and of course, Maple.

I had a great time playing a lot of the old GB/GBC games back when the 3DS VC was still a thing, but these three were some of the ones I still missed out on.

Played a bunch of Dr. Mario today, and looking forward to finally playing the other two!

Playing Dr. Mario and you really feel the crunched real-estate more than in the console version. The viruses are practically hugging the top of the bottle.

A Tetris Effect version of Dr. Mario could have been dope. Same gameplay we know and love but with trippy & gorgeous art that accompanies that. maybe some remix versions of traditional Dr Mario themes?

Mario took some pills and is having an experience.

I actually really love Mario Golf GBC already. I knew I would because the first Mario Golf is my fav of the entire series and it shares some tunes from the N64 one.

Starting to become more annoyed with Mario Golf than enjoying it. Depth perception is rather hard, as you can't see the trajectory the ball will take in the air. Tall obstacles that seem really close sometimes don't pose much of a threat... while the reverse ends up being true more often than not! A lot of the courses always seem to throw heavy wind at you, which always feels really unpredictable and annoying to deal with than in any 3D Mario Golf game. A shame, really.

Golf GBC is no bloody joke in the later stages. Jeez, I just can't beat Tiny, even as I get a handle on the holes.

But I hate how your stats will decrease if you don't put stuff into them for a while. I get it's to prevent players from just putting everything in drive, but still.

Back
Top Bottom