• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Dr. Mario, Mario Golf and Mario Tennis for Game Boy are coming to Nintendo Switch Online (out now!)

I played a ton of Mario Golf on the 3DS VC, but never tried Tennis. Looking forward to it.

Also, either Nintendo has a remake to Super Mario Land in the works, or someone really doesn't want to see the Gameboy game re-released.

I played a ton of Mario Golf on the 3DS VC, but never tried Tennis. Looking forward to it.

Also, either Nintendo has a remake to Super Mario Land in the works, or someone really doesn't want to see the Gameboy game re-released.
Nintendo is, as usual, very picky and will rerelease it down the line. They took way way too long to release The Mysterious Murasame Castle on NES/FC NSO honestly, but that's how they are.

Also I wonder if Transfer Pak will be emulated for these releases. I don't have much hopes but unlike Pokémon Stadium, it would provide a definitive answer to this as there's genuinely no mandate or anything compared to Pokémon, there's no technical hurdles to overcome aside from emulating the Transfer Pak on N64 NSO (there's no GB hardware in it, just a cartridge reader).

Pretty good selection, all told. It's ridiculous GB went nearly 5 months without an update but Golf and Tennis especially are quality games for their time.

Dunno why people are so anxious for when Super Mario Land will drop. I can understand eagerly anticipating stuff like Donkey Kong '94 and wondering when Nintendo will get around to it, but SML? Meh.

Anyway, my big question here is the Transfer Pak stuff for the Camelot games. Hopefully Nintendo and NERD bothered with it.

Good selection for Mario Day

Also they didn't include any GBA games. So that opens the door for an expansion pack update later this month too. (Is it finally time for F-Zero GBA?)

Dunno why people are so anxious for when Super Mario Land will drop. I can understand eagerly anticipating stuff like Donkey Kong '94 and wondering when Nintendo will get around to it, but SML? Meh.

Anyway, my big question here is the Transfer Pak stuff for the Camelot games. Hopefully Nintendo and NERD bothered with it.
I get that Mario Land is kinda mid, especially in modern context, but it's still a gb classic that should be on the service.

Mario Land is a pretty mid game, but you know, it's still a classic that people have fondness for. I mean, I'm biased in that it's the first game I ever complete so I hold it high.

I'm not desperate to replay it or anything, but no Mario Land is just getting kinda weird. I know some people are thinking this points to a remake, but like, that game is maybe an hour long. That'd be like giving Kirby's Dream Land a big-budget remake; with everything you'd need to add to justify doing it, you may as well just make a new game. Most I could see is doing it as dlc/expandalone for Wonder, but I think the likelier option is Nintendo's just being weird about it

DK 94 being a no-show kinda makes sense with MvDK being so recent

No GBA games has me hoping we get F-Zero and maybe a surprise Zero Mission drop sometime soon

I get that Mario Land is kinda mid, especially in modern context, but it's still a gb classic that should be on the service.
Didn't say it shouldn't be on NSO. Even if I thought it didn't deserve to be on the service for some bizarre reason, it's a Mario game, so it's going to be added eventually. I do agree with everyone else that it's weird that it isn't on there yet, but I'm not too fussed about that fact.

Golf is amazing. Tennis is also great but I sucked at it too much to advance very far. Dr Mario is whatever since we have better versions but glad it’s here

I'm shocked we still don't have Mario Land. They must be saving it for something big! I guess Mario Land and Donkey Kong 94 are fitting megatons for Switch 2 NSO.

Everything but Mario land(and DK94), I’m laughing here
In terms of GB Mario games do we just have DK94, Mario land, and the game and watch gallery games?
Depends on how you look at the Wario Land games. the first one is called Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
You’re all forgetting Mario’s Picross and Picross 2! It’s weird how we’ve had Mario’s Super Picross on SNES NSO for years now but we still have neither of the Game Boy games…

(There’s also Alleyway, Baseball, and Golf if you wanna count those, plus Yoshi and Yoshi’s Cookie if those count as Mario games, too.)

EDIT: We’re also missing Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and Mobile Golf! (And Mario Family but that’s certainly never going to be put on NSO, lol.)

Last edited:
As one of the people that won't shut up about Mario Land 1:

It's part childhood memories, part being puzzled by the fact 2 and 3 are already on the service and have been for a long time. Also I lowkey think 1 is underrated.

The Inclusion of Dr. Mario over Super Mario Land is a strange one, but Mario Golf and Mario Tennis are both excellent sports RPGs on Game Boy Color. They are both worth your time, and I'm especially fond of the Tennis one (meanwhile, I like Golf more on GBA than Tennis. Must be the nostalgia).

As was already mentioned in this thread, I am very curious about transfer pak compatibility. While they are both solid standalone games, the Transfer Pak support was really awesome. Bringing your RPG character onto the console version was one thing, but the versions of Tennis in particular hide a lot of content behind Transfer Pak support - characters and mini games in GBC and courts on N64. It would be a shame to once again not have access to them, like on Virtual Console, even if my original save files are still alive and kicking.

Really hoping Mario Golf and Mario Tennis get Transfer Pak compatibility with their N64 counterparts. That was one of my favorite features back in the day!

Surprised they didn't include Mario Land 1 here, it's like 20 minutes long Nintendo, you don't have to drop it on it's own. Maybe it'll be alongside the remaining Wario Lands?

Ah well, the wait for F-Zero Maximum Velocity continues. It's getting a bit ridiculous at this point.

As one of the people that won't shut up about Mario Land 1:

It's part childhood memories, part being puzzled by the fact 2 and 3 are already on the service and have been for a long time. Also I lowkey think 1 is underrated.
Super Mario Land 3 Wario Land isn't on the service, Wario Land 3 is. Man, handheld Mario games have had a really stupid naming convention, huh?

Super Mario Land 3 Wario Land isn't on the service, Wario Land 3 is. Man, handheld Mario games have had a really stupid naming convention, huh?
I wonder if Nintendo will ever release a game with a title quite as insane as Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 ever again.

What's stupid about Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3? It comes right after Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island, which was also titled Super Mario World 2, the sequel to Super Mario Bros 4.

I've always heard great stuff of Camelot's GB versions of Mario Golf and Mario Tennis. I'll try them out someday.

I loved playing Mario Tennis on the GBC, can't wait to replay it and finally give Mario Golf a go. Too bad they're not including the GB version of Mario Picross, I was addicted for a while to the SNES one on the NSO app.

Never tried these games other than Dr. Mario (which I couldn't get into), however it's cool to see the value of NSO continue to grow over time as they keep adding more retro games.

Quoted by: Leo
We now have four different ways to play Dr. Mario on Switch (GB Dr. Mario, NES Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario 64, and Germ Buster in Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch) and none of them are a new, original, standalone Dr. Mario game for Switch… 😢

Big fan of Mario Tennis. I wonder if they’ll enable the Transfer Pak functionality, but no talk about it makes me doubt it.

I don’t see much of a reason to play Dr. Mario Gameboy when the same console can play the NES version.

Quoted by: Tye
Maybe they’re saving Mario Land for its 25th anniversary in April?
35th, actually! 💀 But yeah, I could see this potentially being the case. Or, rather, Daisy’s 35th anniversary, specifically, now that Daisy has become part of the main Mario crew.

…Or they’re just saving it for a future MAR10 Day, along with other Mario games we’re still missing on NSO like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and Mario’s Picross, lol.

I don’t see much of a reason to play Dr. Mario Gameboy when the same console can play the NES version.
You can play multiplayer with each player having their own screen, at least! I also kinda like how the play area is larger relative to the screen in the Game Boy version.

Back
Top Bottom