• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

Apparently, I grossly underestimated some fan's disdain for Good Feel. I still like their stuff for the most part, though a more internal Nintendo studio potentially handling DK does feel like it might yield stronger consistency for the brand.
I think it's less disdain and more that Good-Feel usually makes slower paced, easier games, and that doesn't really align with DKC. That being said, Good-Feel's best doesn't hold a candle to DK's best. I love Woolly World, but I'd play Tropical Freeze over it any day.

I think it's less disdain and more that Good-Feel usually makes slower paced, easier games, and that doesn't really align with DKC. That being said, Good-Feel's best doesn't hold a candle to DK's best. I love Woolly World, but I'd play Tropical Freeze over it any day.
The funny thing is that Wooly World's Special courses actually were the kind of challenging levels you'd more typically see in certain DK titles and were the element that sparked my intrigue at the idea of them working on Donkey Kong. A lot of their other output doesn't really reflect that true, but I'd argue they've demonstrated some decent level design emphasizing spectacle, which is something that also fits recent DK titles.

It's a moot point anyway given that's likely EPD or nothing in terms of teams working on the series. I just got my fingers crossed that any hypothetical game has a distinct enough visual identity to it.

To be fair, the last few levels in Crafted World were ridiculously difficult to 100%

Anyone think we'll get some DK related announcement for Mario day? I don't think it’s likely but we did get the DK lego sets teased last year so I think it's worth at least thinking about. Maybe some more info about the park? Though to be honest Id rather wait on that until it’s closer to opening to get a dedicated presentation for the park. I'm starting to get pretty tired of DK being stapled to Mario every time something happens with the series, even in most of the SNW marketing specifically for the DKC park has DK playing second fiddle to Mario. Let DK shine on his own again!
We got zero Donkey Kong related announcements, which is a good sign. They didn't even mention the theme park expansion, which is supposed to be opening in two months. Give me an April Direct with a DK blowout. 🙏🏻

I think I'm gonna give it 'till April. I think it's time to accept that promoting the theme park expansion is the reason DK and Cranky were in the Mario movie in the capacity they were to begin with. The Mario movie -was- the "Donkey Kong movie." The writing is on the wall, I'm afraid.

We were never not in this, but I don't blame people for being skeptical. It's been ten damn years! I don't even know how my brain will be able to process a new DK game announcement since it's been so long. It's going to feel surreal.
I really know what you mean. It was the same for me holding out for Pikmin 4. It felt so unreal and yet it happened and I couldn't be happier with the result. I have a good feeling it's going to be equally special for DK.

. Diddy was "adopted" relatively quickly (though they toyed with using Donkey Kong Jr. in Double Dash, tellingly), but it took a while for Dixie and the others.
Isn't Donkey Kong Jr. the same character as our current headlining DK? Maybe the risks to the spacetime donkontinuum were too great, especially after the Great Ape War.

Isn't Donkey Kong Jr. the same character as our current headlining DK? Maybe the risks to the spacetime donkontinuum were too great, especially after the Great Ape War.
Nope, you're missing a generation. Cranky Kong is said to be DK's grandfather and the original DK, and DKJr is said to be the original DK's son in the old arcade games.

So that means the lineage goes
Cranky -> DKJr -> DK (current)

Nope, you're missing a generation. Cranky Kong is said to be DK's grandfather and the original DK, and DKJr is said to be the original DK's son in the old arcade games.

This is true in the Rare-verse, but not necessarily true outside of it. In the modern continuity it is implied Donkey Kong is the Donkey Kong from the arcade games, DK Jr is a guy who is with him sometimes, and Cranky is just an older Kong. The Mario Movie had the grace to give him a new role as the King Kong.

It's past time for Jr to return, imo. Hopefully in the new rumored EAD game he is back in a starring role alongside DK.

Apparently, I grossly underestimated some fan's disdain for Good Feel. I still like their stuff for the most part, though a more internal Nintendo studio potentially handling DK does feel like it might yield stronger consistency for the brand.

With the lack of Kremlings and K Rool, it's hard to tell if it's just deference towards Rare characters they didn't create or if there's been an intentional attempt to shift towards a type of antagonists that Nintendo generally prefers. The sad thing is there's not really been enough games or even spin-offs in the last 15 years to even spot a pattern in to know one way or another.

The funny thing is that Wooly World's Special courses actually were the kind of challenging levels you'd more typically see in certain DK titles and were the element that sparked my intrigue at the idea of them working on Donkey Kong. A lot of their other output doesn't really reflect that true, but I'd argue they've demonstrated some decent level design emphasizing spectacle, which is something that also fits recent DK titles.

It's a moot point anyway given that's likely EPD or nothing in terms of teams working on the series. I just got my fingers crossed that any hypothetical game has a distinct enough visual identity to it.

I just wanted to say I absolutely love Good-Feel's Yoshi games. The emphasis on spectacle and set pieces is really present and the challenges you mentioned, I totally agree were very tricky to pull off. I've only watched my SO play the 3DS port but the new Poochy levels appeared super hard, too.

I was surprised and disappointed at the poor game feel in the Princess Peach: Showtime demo. Folks making YCW a bit but it runs at a very smooth frame rate, often 60 fps.

From Digital Foundry: "Frame-rate is highly impressive - with just the smallest of hitches, the vast majority of Yoshi's Crafted World plays out at 60 frames per second. This is no mean feat for a game that looks this good."

Even though YCW starts slow, it always feels good to control the game. The game feel is on point. With Peach, I was disappointed that it felt slow and choppy, and not smoothly slow like Kirby but just laggy and slow. The action commands felt at a disconnect from the game. I really hoped for a better feeling game to play.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure I tagged @Supreme Overlord in here because they had an amazing idea for a crafted DK game, I think it was with a wrought iron and steel motif. I've wanted to see that type of crafted DK ever since, at least as a spinoff.

That reminds me, @JazzyFuture, I think I saw you mention that you only tried the beginning of YCW. If you enjoyed YWW, I really recommend giving the sequel another shot at some point. The game started off surprisingly unexciting but after the first five or so levels it very much branches off into lots of my exciting and unusual levels and compelling design, much more akin to YWW. My only knock really is that YWW is more aesthetically pleasing to me, and has much better music. But yeah when you see the later levels I think you'll be very pleased.

To be fair, the last few levels in Crafted World were ridiculously difficult to 100%
They really were. Beating the secret final boss without getting hit was one of the most challenging things in a Nintendo game in 2019, beyond anything in Link's Awakening or Luigi's Mansion 3 (which I loved).

Ahh, there you go. But given DK Jr.'s youthful appearance, would we not still be facing serious kongsequences to the fabric of our Countryverse?

At this particular point in time I don't think a DK movie is off the table, but I really don't think they'll be working on one anytime soon. Would love to be wrong but unless they do a surprise announcement we probably wont see a DK movie until like 2030 lmao

At this particular point in time I don't think a DK movie is off the table, but I really don't think they'll be working on one anytime soon. Would love to be wrong but unless they do a surprise announcement we probably wont see a DK movie until like 2030 lmao
I mean, like, when Illumination made Despicable Me 2, they then made the Minions spin-off soon after a couple of years later. I wouldn't be surprised if DK is in a similar position.

God this is depressing news. Can us DK fans catch any breaks? Like my god this company really knows how to torture us. As someone who was looking forward to the possibility of a DK movie, it seems very dire at this stage. There seems to be a lot of apathy to DK as a brand. I don’t know how the hell a DK theme park was greenlit bc they’ll probably announce a Star Fox and Pikmin movie before a DK movie. Can we just any good news? Like fuck, we can’t even get NSO icons or the N64 DK games. I’m just so tired of EVERY other franchise feasting and we’re in famine mode. I’ll be shocked at this point if they even promote the DK expansion beyond a tweet. Can we just get anything? Sorry I don’t care about Legos

God this is depressing news. Can us DK fans catch any breaks? Like my god this company really knows how to torture us. As someone who was looking forward to the possibility of a DK movie, it seems very dire at this stage. There seems to be a lot of apathy to DK as a brand. I don’t know how the hell a DK theme park was greenlit bc they’ll probably announce a Star Fox and Pikmin movie before a DK movie. Can we just any good news? Like fuck, we can’t even get NSO icons or the N64 DK games. I’m just so tired of EVERY other franchise feasting and we’re in famine mode. I’ll be shocked at this point if they even promote the DK expansion beyond a tweet. Can we just get anything? Sorry I don’t care about Legos
We just got a new game! But with Rare games coming to NSO, I expect DK64 and DKR coming to NSO shortly after the reveal of the all new DK game. And hey, a new Mario movie is very much a new DK movie considering how big a part of the first one the Kongs were.

diddy kong is already donkey kong jr

If Nintendo were smart (what I really mean, is they treated DK games like they do with Mario releases or what Rare used to do) they'd reintroduce DK Junior as a new Kong.

I've said it dozens of times before, but I feel like you could bring him back and keep the lore Rare made in tact very easily. I would bring him back as Junior II, keeping DK as the original Junior and Cranky as the original DK. To casual fans, this would just be a reintroduction of a character they might have saw in Donkey Kong 2 or Mario Tennis. Just like how they see DK as the arcade DK.

I also don't think we'd need to explain how DK magically got a son, after all, Bowser Jr. showed up out of nowhere in Sunshine. Plus, how cool would it be to have a DKC game with Diddy, Dixie, and Junior? I imagine there could be a fun rivalry between Diddy and Junior, competing for DK's attention.

We just got a new game! But with Rare games coming to NSO, I expect DK64 and DKR coming to NSO shortly after the reveal of the all new DK game. And hey, a new Mario movie is very much a new DK movie considering how big a part of the first one the Kongs were.

Yeah, at this point I'm coping. Crossing my fingers Diddy gets a bigger role in the sequel.

We got zero Donkey Kong related announcements, which is a good sign. They didn't even mention the theme park expansion, which is supposed to be opening in two months. Give me an April Direct with a DK blowout. 🙏🏻
- I would now like to welcome Mr Koizumi from Nintendo who has something special to announce.

- Good morning, everyone. That is correct, Mr. Takahashi.

- Mr Koizumi, I see you brought bongos?

Never exclude the most nightmarish scenario possible.

- I would now like to welcome Mr Koizumi from Nintendo who has something special to announce.

- Good morning, everyone. That is correct, Mr. Takahashi.

- Mr Koizumi, I see you brought bongos?

Never exclude the most nightmarish scenario possible.
That implies that scenario is a nightmare, when I'm pretty sure at least half of us would love that lol

I have no doubt that many people liked Jungle Beat a lot more than I did. However, I think even that part of the fans don’t especially want to have waited 10 years since Tropical Freeze just to get Jungle Beat 2 at the end.

I don't think the bongos define Jungle Beat's essence -- the Wii version is fine, and so is playing the game on Dolphin with a traditional controller --, nor does the lack of Rare's character... I think the game's essence lies in its score- and combo-centric game and level design.

The quintessential Jungle Beat level is Monkey Fest, where the bongos play virtually no role

I'd love a new Donkey Kong game sharing some design ethos with Jungle Beat, but it doesn't have to be a literal Jungle Beat 2.

Actually I was mostly frustrated by motion gaming in general.

Jungle Beat has plenty of great ideas that might not have been locked into a Bongo gameplay. To a lesser extent it is also valid for Returns with the wiimote so I loved the 3DS version because it allows to escape it.

Actually I was mostly frustrated by motion gaming in general.

Jungle Beat has plenty of great ideas that might not have been locked into a Bongo gameplay. To a lesser extent it is also valid for Returns with the wiimote so I loved the 3DS version because it allows to escape it.
I'm mixed on motion controls and am mostly a fan but the shake-to-roll mechanic was uncomfortable for my wrists and really diminished my enjoyment of the game. I was genuinely surprised how much I loved the game on 3DS and I'd really be thrilled with a 60 fps Switch remaster or HD port. But no question I'm hoping for a brand new game the most and a scenario where we get both.

I would also really like a port of the 3DS version on switch so that we also have access to the additional content that brought this version.

In an ideal world where we would have both returns HD and a new Donkey Kong, I think it is more likely that the remaster will come out before the new game. Because I’m convinced they’re going to take a very different road from country, and I’m not sure if they’ll want to put that back on the map for a while

Didn't see this make the rounds here yet:

A very good interview about one of my favorite DK games, Donkey Kong '94!

An excerpt...

―I'd like to ask about the story... to begin with, what's the relationship between Mario and Donkey Kong?​

Miyamoto: It's a long story, but from the beginning, Donkey Kong was Mario's pet.

―I didn't know that! In that case, why did Donkey Kong kidnap Pauline and run off with her?​

Miyamoto: He did that to get a rise out of Mario. Mario, the plumber, owns a gorilla and worked at a construction site; the gorilla, Donkey Kong, decided to annoy Mario by kidnapping the girl Pauline and running away with her.

―So Mario and Donkey Kong aren't enemies, then?​

Miyamoto: Correct. That's why, when creating the ending for the original arcade game, I spent a lot of time thinking around the theme of the player "outwitting the prankster", rather than trying to kill DK.

As someone who grew up with NPC Jungle Beat as my first Donkey Kong game, the bongos are absolutely an integral part of the game. A large part of the experience is the visceral nature of the control scheme. Things like the constant enemy beatdowns and clapping being a mechanic at all completely lose their purpose without the associated kinetic feedback from the bongos. While the combo chasing is important in adding depth (and NPC makes separate changes that make that aspect worse too), a large part of the game is the bongos. It's like how you can play Gyromite much better by just pushing the button on the controller yourself to raise and lower the gates, but the entire point of the game is the layer of convolution created by needing to rely on R.O.B.'s operations to do it. Same for the swordfighting in Skyward Sword, which isn't all that interesting when divorced from that extra layer of having to make those slashes yourself.

This is usually the secret sauce of any Nintendo gimmick peripheral game that's actually pretty good, because with a few exceptions like the IR pointer or the touch screen, the peripherals suck ass compared to a traditional controller. Controlling a platformer with drums is the game, the controller being bad is the point.

King K Rool's Wikipedia page was removed for good. Now the only DK characters with a Wikipedia page are DK himself and Pauline (and Mario).

I always knew that Mr. Game & Watch had more notability than King K. Rool. :)

that is pretty much correct, those characters are among the firsts of their kind, or are notorious in some form of controversy like mr. game & watch was

dk94-02-730x1024.jpg

This is the first time I've ever seen Bentomaru Itoh draw Mario. First time I've ever seen this ad even.

As someone who grew up with NPC Jungle Beat as my first Donkey Kong game, the bongos are absolutely an integral part of the game. A large part of the experience is the visceral nature of the control scheme. Things like the constant enemy beatdowns and clapping being a mechanic at all completely lose their purpose without the associated kinetic feedback from the bongos. While the combo chasing is important in adding depth (and NPC makes separate changes that make that aspect worse too), a large part of the game is the bongos. It's like how you can play Gyromite much better by just pushing the button on the controller yourself to raise and lower the gates, but the entire point of the game is the layer of convolution created by needing to rely on R.O.B.'s operations to do it. Same for the swordfighting in Skyward Sword, which isn't all that interesting when divorced from that extra layer of having to make those slashes yourself.

This is usually the secret sauce of any Nintendo gimmick peripheral game that's actually pretty good, because with a few exceptions like the IR pointer or the touch screen, the peripherals suck ass compared to a traditional controller. Controlling a platformer with drums is the game, the controller being bad is the point.
There's usually at least one game that actually uses these peripherals well. Usually one, when there isn't one then you know things are bad.

King K Rool's Wikipedia page was removed for good. Now the only DK characters with a Wikipedia page are DK himself and Pauline (and Mario).

I always knew that Mr. Game & Watch had more notability than King K. Rool. :)
I wouldn't say for good, but the character currently doesn't meet their arbitrary "notability" standards. Rabbid Peach and Bobby from Paper Mario are more recognizable just because Kotaku wrote articles about them, as if that's how notability works in the real world. They look like clowns to anybody who isn’t part of their inner circle.

I wouldn't say for good, but the character currently doesn't meet their arbitrary "notability" standards. Rabbid Peach and Bobby from Paper Mario are more recognizable just because Kotaku wrote articles about them, as if that's how notability works in the real world. They look like clowns to anybody who isn’t part of their inner circle.
I mean, they look like clowns to a comparatively niche audience. Most people don't really care. The notability standard is not arbitrary, it just functions in such a way that you think is bad. Which, maybe it is bad, but there's a defined reason why it works the way it does.
I made several articles about K. Rool at my time writing for Reino do Cogumelo.. but I guess it doesn't count because I am no real journalist 😞
What are the editorial standards of the website? If your site has an experienced Editor-in-Chief or a well-defined editorial policy, it could be deemed acceptable for use on Wikipedia.

I am willing to tolerate Diddy if they remove the stars from his shirt or make the shirt longer like in The Super Mario Bros Movie. Such an ambitious character design change may result in sourcable news articles as well...

Diddy Kong just exists. Nobody ever says anything about him in the press, publication, reports, or anything. Most he ever got was people including him in Mario Movie cameo lists, his short Smash 4 reign, and people gushing over DKC1 and DKC2, which can just go with their respective wiki pages.

What are the editorial standards of the website? If your site has an experienced Editor-in-Chief or a well-defined editorial policy, it could be deemed acceptable for use on Wikipedia.
I am doing something about it.. let's hope it gets reverted soon enough!

I think Diddy Kong is a cool guy alongside the entire rare cast.
With the notable exception of Candy Kong even I can not defend that.

Not Diddy's fault a divorced republican guy on Twitter uses him for an avi.

Back
Top Bottom