• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

You know what would have been brilliant? If the transition pipe between DK and Mario had the red construction girders.
We haven't seen inside of the pipe yet. There's still hope! There's also a chance that Ellie and the other non-Retro DKC characters appear in the queue for Mine Cart Madness since the Mario Kart and Yoshi ride queues were filled with Easter eggs, but that's just me coping.

Nintendo…give me Donkey Kong 99 this year and I’ll be a happy customer….that’s all.

On that topic, isn't it weird that DK64 didn't use the K-O-N-G letters? Has that ever been addressed? Finding all four in each level would have seemed like a no-brainer for a collectathon.
mKj0TUj.gif
I assume K-O-N-G letters weren’t included because the 3D levels of DK64 aren’t exactly linear like the levels in the 2D games, and having the letters be placed throughout a level in order is key to their design (so if you find the “O” first you know that you missed the “K” somewhere before it, for example). Without linear levels, you may as well replace them with something else (which DK64 essentially did in multiple ways, lol).

Anyone think we'll get some DK related announcement for Mario day? I don't think its likely but we did get the DK lego sets teased last year so I think it's worth at least thinking about. Maybe some more info about the park? Though to be honest Id rather wait on that until its closer to opening to get a dedicated presentation for the park. I'm starting to get pretty tired of DK being stapled to Mario every time something happens with the series, even in most of the SNW marketing specifically for the DKC park has DK playing second fiddle to Mario. Let DK shine on his own again!

Anyone think we'll get some DK related announcement for Mario day? I don't think its likely but we did get the DK lego sets teased last year so I think it's worth at least thinking about. Maybe some more info about the park? Though to be honest Id rather wait on that until its closer to opening to get a dedicated presentation for the park. I'm starting to get pretty tired of DK being stapled to Mario every time something happens with the series, even in most of the SNW marketing specifically for the DKC park has DK playing second fiddle to Mario. Let DK shine on his own again!
The DKC section of Super Nintendo World being a footnote in a Mario-centric presentation would be incredibly dire. It's bad enough that Mario vs. Donkey Kong, a game that depicts DK as a brainless antagonist, is the only multimedia tie-in that the park expansion currently has going for it. I want a video of Shigeru Miyamoto frolicking around the park and eating banana-flavored ice cream.

Before this, it was the K. Rool at SNW thing, before that it was Zippo saying DK is gonna be in the next 3D Mario, before that it was fake K. Rool in Smash 4 leaks, before that it was Kevin Callahan and his Diddy Kong Racing 2 hype train, before that it was probably something else but I don't remember because I wasn't scouring the Internet for everything and anything DK related until after Tropical Freeze released. All ya can do is remember to be skeptical about everything until Nintendo confirms something. And even then, remain skeptical until you have the game in your hands... the ghost of DK Racing still haunts some to this day.

Before this, it was the K. Rool at SNW thing, before that it was Zippo saying DK is gonna be in the next 3D Mario, before that it was fake K. Rool in Smash 4 leaks, before that it was Kevin Callahan and his Diddy Kong Racing 2 hype train, before that it was probably something else but I don't remember because I wasn't scouring the Internet for everything and anything DK related until after Tropical Freeze released. All ya can do is remember to be skeptical about everything until Nintendo confirms something. And even then, remain skeptical until you have the game in your hands... the ghost of DK Racing still haunts some to this day.
Honestly, I've made it a goal of mine to just not look into anything DK until we get something definite (like with the parks) and just go into other series instead. This is especially important for me when I only really have TF and the replay of the SNES games (as well as MvsDK) to go into.

Our patience will be rewarded, eventually. I'm maybe naive, but I refuse to believe that Nintendo is not aware of how much DK is a big deal in video games history.

NST (Nintendo Software Technology) has a history with Donkey Kong through the MvsDK series. They also recently released an HD F-Zero game that replicated the SNES game's look to great results. So hear me out....

Nintendo should let them take a crack at developing a new Donkey Kong Country that replicates the gameplay and style of the SNES trilogy.

NST (Nintendo Software Technology) has a history with Donkey Kong through the MvsDK series. They also recently released an HD F-Zero game that replicated the SNES game's look to great results. So hear me out....

Nintendo should let them take a crack at developing a new Donkey Kong Country that replicates the gameplay and style of the SNES trilogy.
Oh boy I can't wait for a game that uses DKC1 assets with none of the control improvements from DKC2 or 3.

It'd be a brand new game. If there's anything they sacrifice it'd the first game's janky controls and hit boxes.
F-Zero 99 changed the boost style to the one used from X onward and improved the collision, but didn't even change health recharging to start as soon as you get on the recharge pads like every other game in the series. You still have to wait for the recharge drone to show up even if it's thankfully much faster. They would not have you pause midair when you throw something if they did a DKC SNES inspired game.

Demo confirms Peach is developed by Good-Feel

EPDK people... we're still in this
We were never not in this, but I don't blame people for being skeptical. It's been ten damn years! I don't even know how my brain will be able to process a new DK game announcement since it's been so long. It's going to feel surreal.

We were never not in this, but I don't blame people for being skeptical. It's been ten damn years! I don't even know how my brain will be able to process a new DK game announcement since it's been so long. It's going to feel surreal.
I have points where my faith wavers, but clearly we need our own version of trusting the process

I have to admit part of me was intrigued at the idea of a Good Feel developed DK title, though given they specialize in more beginner friendly platformers and DK is of the challenging variety, perhaps its simply not a marriage meant to be.
Maybe a new Diddy Kong Racing would be a better fit for them.

Well Fami, my gaming collection has gained a valuable addition

I GOT THE DK BONGOS

KONGO BONGO KONGO BONGO

I have to admit part of me was intrigued at the idea of a Good Feel developed DK title, though given they specialize in more beginner friendly platformers and DK is of the challenging variety, perhaps its simply not a marriage meant to be.

God, please never let this happen

Good Feel is not really that great, not suited for the legacy that Rare and Retro built tbh. EPD8 definitely is.

Really feels like Nintendo goes out of their way to not acknowledge anything that isn't a part of the "current" DK brand.

Diddy and Dixie are acknowledged here, but Chunky is completely ignored. It also feels like they avoid to even bring up K. Rool's name when talking about DKC2.

Really feels like Nintendo goes out of their way to not acknowledge anything that isn't a part of the "current" DK brand.

Diddy and Dixie are acknowledged here, but Chunky is completely ignored. It also feels like they avoid to even bring up K. Rool's name when talking about DKC2.

My hopeful theory is that Nintendo is refusing to knowledge K Rool until the next Donkey Kong game, kinda of like how, outside of Superstar Saga and remakes, the Koopalings were absent throughout the late 90s to the late 00s which was a way of reintroducing these characters to a new and younger audience. Didn't Nintendo not acknowledge the Koopalings much during that time?

Unrelated but I didn't even notice the Disk-kun sign when I watched it initially but tbh I was mostly checked out of the movie at that point.

My hopeful theory is that Nintendo is refusing to knowledge K Rool until the next Donkey Kong game, kinda of like how, outside of Superstar Saga and remakes, the Koopalings were absent throughout the late 90s to the late 00s which was a way of reintroducing these characters to a new and younger audience. Didn't Nintendo not acknowledge the Koopalings much during that time?
It's a little strange to never acknowledge the guy who's in one of the best selling games on Switch because he's not "current". I feel like it's a little too late to reintroduce the guy who got one of Nintendo's most viewed trailers ever, and got the gist of "He's Donkey Kong's villain" down immediately to anyone who would have no idea what DKC is. He's been reintroduced, Nintendo's just being weird to re-reintroduce K Rool for... basically no reason.

I don't think that was intentional. After Superstar Saga, the Koopalings disappeared for another 6 years before their proper reintroduction in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. They didn't acknowledge them much, but to be fair, they didn't need to. I don't think they were saving them for a grand reintroduction -- they just felt to reintroduce them in NSMBW, and since NSMBW shaped the Mario brand for the following years, they became a mainstay in spin-offs too. Had Wart been a minor boss in NSMBW, we would have had Wart in Mario Kart.

With DK, it's hard to tell the current status quo of the DK brand, since the last game was ten years ago. Maybe they see Chunky, Kiddy, and K. Rool as part of what current DK is, and they weren't featured in merchandising since the next game featuring new has not been released yet. Maybe they see them as legacy characters like Wart or Spike -- those characters which are acknowledged every now and then as part of a series' past, but are unlikely to feature promintently in a new installment.

It's a little strange to never acknowledge the guy who's in one of the best selling games on Switch because he's not "current". I feel like it's a little too late to reintroduce the guy who got one of Nintendo's most viewed trailers ever, and got the gist of "He's Donkey Kong's villain" down immediately to anyone who would have no idea what DKC is. He's been reintroduced, Nintendo's just being weird to re-reintroduce K Rool for... basically no reason.

To me, it feels increasingly like Nintendo allowing K. Rool in Smash was a one-off. I'm starting to get doubtful of the idea that they're "waiting" to reintroduce him in a new game.

To be fair, there has been nothing for K. Rool to appear in outside of the DKC theme park expansion, which was originally planned back in 2015. I still think they could have pushed to include him, though. I'm no marketing expert, but ignoring the most popular first-party newcomer from the best selling fighting of all-time doesn't seem smart.

To be fair, there has been nothing for K. Rool to appear in outside of the DKC theme park expansion, which was originally planned back in 2015. I still think they could have pushed to include him, though. I'm no marketing expert, but ignoring the most popular first-party newcomer from the best selling fighting of all-time doesn't seem smart.
They removed the Kritter goalies from Strikers for Battle League. Not exactly K Rool, but he definitely could have shown up in a Mario spinoff or two.

Could it be possible that Rare maintained ownership of K.Rool and most of the Kremlings? If so, it would simply be Nintendo avoiding having to pay potential licensing fees to Microsoft for use of the character(s). It would certainly put a lot of things into perspective.

Last edited:
Could it be possible that Rare maintained ownership of K.Rool and most of the Kremlings? If so, it would simply be Nintendo avoiding having to pay potential licensing fees to Microsoft for use of the character(s). It would certainly put a lot of things into perspective.
If K. Rool had been owned by Rare, Microsoft's name would have appeared on Smash Ultimate's copyright before Banjo's arrival.

Never had been the case;

After all, the Kremlings and K. Rool were constant cast members of Donkey Kong games and cameo games between Rare's departure and DKC Returns, and not even once Rare/Microsoft were mentioned in the copyright for those games (Paon titles, Super Sluggers, Mario Party, Strikers, etc)

Never had been the case;

After all, the Kremlings and K. Rool were constant cast members of Donkey Kong games and cameo games between Rare's departure and DKC Returns, and not even once Rare/Microsoft were mentioned in the copyright for those games (Paon titles, Super Sluggers, Mario Party, Strikers, etc)

You’re right. They did continue to use them quite prominently for awhile there. It’s just so weird and wild to me that they would completely ditch such familiarized characters upon Returns’ release and then basically ignore they ever existed until K. Rool’s return in Smash. And now again with the theme park. It honestly feels like they’ll continue to do so with whatever the next DK game turns out to be, though I’d like to be wrong about that.

You’re right. They did continue to use them quite prominently for awhile there. It’s just so weird and wild to me that they would completely ditch such familiarized characters upon Returns’ release and then basically ignore they ever existed until K. Rool’s return in Smash. And now again with the theme park. It honestly feels like they’ll continue to do so with whatever the next DK game turns out to be, though I’d like to be wrong about that.

I believe something changed during the Wii era. It's strange, I recall reading Nintendo redesigned a ton of DKC characters for companies to use. This is why the PAON redesigns exist and why Tiny is a teenager in Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Much like with the Mario mandate killing any original characters in Paper Mario games, it feels like something happened with DK's extended cast of characters.

Hard to say if the Thousand Year Door remake will course-correct the Paper Mario series. Nintendo is seemingly respectful of remakes compared to newer games these days. Perhaps this was the only way to give fans what they're wanting again?

I believe something changed during the Wii era. It's strange, I recall reading Nintendo redesigned a ton of DKC characters for companies to use. This is why the PAON redesigns exist and why Tiny is a teenager in Diddy Kong Racing DS.

Much like with the Mario mandate killing any original characters in Paper Mario games, it feels like something happened with DK's extended cast of characters.

Hard to say if the Thousand Year Door remake will course-correct the Paper Mario series. Nintendo is seemingly respectful of remakes compared to newer games these days. Perhaps this was the only way to give fans what they're wanting again?
Yeah, they probably set some internal guidelines for DK midway through the Wii era. But it's hard to tell what is and is not included in "the mandate". Was Dixie "banned" before Tropical Freeze, or was she always part of the current brand and just went unused in Returns? Hard to tell.

I don't think Nintendo hates the Kremlings (they've always had the ownership of the DK brand and could have stopped Rare from using them; they did with the realistic guns in DK64, after all), they probably don't feel very confident in using characters they didn't create. Diddy was "adopted" relatively quickly (though they toyed with using Donkey Kong Jr. in Double Dash, tellingly), but it took a while for Dixie and the others. The Kremlings also are a bit at odds with Nintendo's "form follow function" philosophy, whereas the drums and the Snowmads are 100% following that principle, even to the point of looking bland or a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, they probably set some internal guidelines for DK midway through the Wii era. But it's hard to tell what is and is not included in "the mandate". Was Dixie "banned" before Tropical Freeze, or was she always part of the current brand and just went unused in Returns? Hard to tell.

I don't think Nintendo hates the Kremlings (they've always had the ownership of the DK brand and could have stopped Rare from using them; they did with the realistic guns in DK64, after all), they probably don't feel very confident in using characters they didn't create. Diddy was "adopted" relatively quickly (though they toyed with using Donkey Kong Jr. in Double Dash, tellingly), but it took a while for Dixie and the others. The Kremlings also are a bit at odds with Nintendo's "form follow function" philosophy, whereas the drums and the Snowmads are 100% following that principle, even to the point of looking bland or a bit ridiculous.

Very good points.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind if the Kremlings come back or not. I just want K. Rool. They could redesign the Kremlings to fit that philosophy; or have the Kremlings banish K. Rool as their self-appointed king.

There's a few ways they could take it. Maybe have K. Rool enlist new armies each game, or he could become this anti-hero in the DK universe. I dunno, it's just how I feel but I'd rather have K. Rool only then not at all.

Personally, I want the whole package back.. K. Rool as the main antagonist, but Kritters, Klump and Krusha running around, as well Zingers, Gnawties, Neckies, Lockjaws and everything else returning as baddies. The DK series feels incredibly lacking without their staples.. and all they made these years feels like unworthy replacements desperately wanting to be the Rare's counterparts

Not that would mind a Screaming Pillar here and there, and as well new enemies showing up, but you can't get rid of what makes most of the series identity.

Last edited:
Personally, I want the whole package back.. K. Rool as the main antagonist, but Kritters, Klump and Krusha running around, as well Zingers, Gnawties, Neckies, Lockjaws and everything else returning as baddies. The DK series feels incredibly lacking without their staples.. and all they made these years feels like unworthy replacements desperately wanting to be the Rare's counterparts

Not that wouldn't mind a Screaming Pillar here and there, and as well new enemies showing up, but you can't get rid of what makes most of the series identity.

I do agree with you on the non-Kremlings enemies. I'm surprised those weren't in the Retro Studios games.

Still boggles the mind a bit Nintendo looked at one of their franchises that's crossed the 10 million lifetime sales mark and just said, yeah, let's strip away a majority of its identity.

It will always be weird that the DKCR Zinger stand-ins are called Tiki Zings, and this is also arguably the most explicit reference to an absent character in either Retro game.

The Kremlings also are a bit at odds with Nintendo's "form follow function" philosophy, whereas the drums and the Snowmads are 100% following that principle, even to the point of looking bland or a bit ridiculous.
They're actually pretty well-suited for it I think. As crocodiles, they have long flat heads built in (literally used as platforms in some levels), and DKC2 does make a noticeable effort towards visually clear enemy designs including with its Kremlings, compared to the murkier shapes of many things in the original game. DKC1 Kremlings have uneven, often hunched over postures, but DKC2 Kremlings tend to stand straight and give clearer indication of where they're open to be hit while better exaggerating their key traits. Even with their busier and more "frivolous" designs compared to what Retro did, they're pretty successful at conveying how to interact with them. Can't quite say the same for the enemies from the other two games, though...

Last edited:
My guess would be Nintendo just views K Rool being distracted by Candy Kong before getting blasted in the ass by a boot rocket launcher to be the ultimate and most fitting send off for the character in canon. So while he could appear in spinoffs like King of Swing or Baseball, mainline games like Returns were off limits.

It's kind of like Wesker still hasn't returned after Resident Evil 5.

Last edited:
My guess would be Nintendo just views K Rool being distracted by Candy Kong before getting blasted in the ass by a boot rocket launcher to be the ultimate and most fitting send off for the character in canon. So while he could appear in spinoffs like King of Swing or Baseball, mainline games like Returns were off limits.

It's kind of like Wesker still hasn't returned after Resident Evil 5.

Must have felt that was also the perfect send off to Candy, too, since she's also been MIA since then, haha.

If it is not Retro that releases the next great DK game, which is likely, then, we can think that it will not be a Donkey Kong Country game. As much as I love Country, which is my childhood game, as much as I ansolutely love Rare, I don’t know if it would bother me so much that we could stop at least 5 small seconds of constantly talking about K.Rool. We got to a point where even though I understand, I think it’s getting a little annoying.

Apparently, I grossly underestimated some fan's disdain for Good Feel. I still like their stuff for the most part, though a more internal Nintendo studio potentially handling DK does feel like it might yield stronger consistency for the brand.

With the lack of Kremlings and K Rool, it's hard to tell if it's just deference towards Rare characters they didn't create or if there's been an intentional attempt to shift towards a type of antagonists that Nintendo generally prefers. The sad thing is there's not really been enough games or even spin-offs in the last 15 years to even spot a pattern in to know one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom