• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Donkey Kong Community |ST| No Country For Old Kongs

I'm not surprised, there had been rumors online for a long time now that they were months behind schedule on certain milestones with this ride. I think the hope was to get it open before the end of May because the competing Tokyo Disney was opening a big expansion early June. But here we were in the middle of April with no opening date or promotion for months until we got this news.

Given this is a low capacity ride (meaning in terms of how many people in the line you can get through every hour) and a new ride system, they need to take their time getting this ready otherwise it wouldve been total hell for guest experiences. People are saying late July at the earliest for when Universal can actually fix these issues, so I'm guessing an official opening now won't be until September/October.

Finally got all the beetallion members and twit coins in Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, so I guess it’s time to finally try the Impossible Lair. All I know is that it is pretty infamous, even post-patch. I guess I will be busy for the weekend?

Finally got all the beetallion members and twit coins in Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, so I guess it’s time to finally try the Impossible Lair. All I know is that it is pretty infamous, even post-patch. I guess I will be busy for the weekend?
Got this done in 11 attempts and about two hours. Of course, I can only imagine how long the actual Impossible Lair would take me as that requires a perfect run, but I think this is the exact level of kaizo I can manage in my mid-thirties.

Will copy and paste my thoughts from the Completed Games thread:
6. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (4.5/5)

Impossible Lair harkens back in many ways to DKC3, both in terms of presentation and setup. The addition of an overworld feels like a natural evolution of that game’s structure, yet the top down sections are better integrated here.

Impossible Lair manages to make collectibles feel actually meaningful. TWIT coins and quills are needed to unlock more levels in the overworld, and tonic discovery in those sections incentivizes experimentation inside of the side-scrolling levels. It creates a positive feedback loop that shows just how well both halves of the game are crafted, and they never feel disparate from each other.

This would mean little should the levels not be fun. Thankfully, the developers borrow from over twenty years of experience, and they even go ahead to include some elements from the Retro duology, like timing jumps to collision and a penchant for set piece gimmicks in the latter stages.

Impossible Lair is a bit on the short side, but I think that works to its benefit. The twenty stages (plus variations!) all feel like just the right length, and if anything, I have finished the game wishing there was more.

Ironically however, I think the titular Impossible Lair is the weakest aspect of the game. A kaizo to end the adventure and test your mastery of mechanics is something I should like in theory, and to be honest I thought the platforming sections are genuinely fun, despite their challenge. Where this final level falters is its constant interruptions with a Capital B boss fight, each one marking the beginning of the next quarter of progression. Platforming boss fights are rarely that good, and in this case I believe four is far too many, especially when there’s very few ways to speed Capital B up while you wait for an opening. Were the Impossible Lair be exactly the same, but with two final boss confrontations instead of one, I would be more forgiving of this endurance test.

That is, thankfully, just one small portion of the runtime. Impossible Lair is a joy to play through, and it made me realize I really like these characters and world a lot. The sequel does way more with its setting in just a few hours than Yooka-Laylee 1 did, and it feels like there are many ways in which Playtonic could expand this further.

Whether that happens, who knows. For now I can say this is in the upper echelon of Donkey Kong Countries, and it makes me hopeful that Playtonic could one day retake the mantle now that Retro is done with that franchise.

Cranky's keychain is quite literally:

Old_Man_Yells_at_cloud_cover.jpg

I've said this before, but it's cool to see more Donkey Kong characters in this very characteristic Mario 2D art style. Cranky and Squawks were in the Mario Movie concept art and Diddy has been in several art pieces before, but it's the first time we get to see Dixie, Chopps and Rambi in that context.

I do hope eventually we get to see K. Rool and Funky as well.

At least that's one small benefit of the DK and Mario brands being so tied together these days.

Back
Top Bottom