• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Do you think Switch 2 will be able to beat any of the sales records set by Switch?

I also think economics is a fucking joke so really, truly, I am shooting the shit apropos of nothing

I don't find these conversations super rewarding, either, so feel free to disregard me rolling through in a three-piece clown kit

I could see Switch 2 having the best selling 3D Mario game, if the new 3D Mario game is a launch title for the Switch 2 and becomes synonymous with the Switch 2 as Breath of the wild became for the Switch. It will all depend on the quality of the game though and how well the Switch 2 as a platform will do in the long run.

I donโ€™t think that Nintendo will have unreasonable or excessive expectations, but I do think that the environment will and that it has a good chance of being very destabilizing for them. Itโ€™s the same discussion about Microsoft and the constant obsession with growth. The context of consumer demand during a global pandemic is not reproducible for example.

I have already said it several times, but it is with the switch 2 that we will judge if the accountant who became boss of Nintendo is able to defend his company and his teams, or if he is only there to be docile and conciliatory with the financial circles and their successive whims.

I doubt it. There is a reason Sony hasn't been able to surpass the success of the PS2, and it doesn't appear that PS5 is on pace to change that. Getting to 100 million units sold is very difficult, but quite a few consoles have either hit that number or were within a stones throw of it. Getting to 150+ million units is basically lightning in a bottle, good look repeating that.
PS2 probably had the most favorable conditions Sony's ever had, which later systems haven't been able to repeat. Coming off a massive marketshare victory the previous generation, released at what was considered a decent price, arrived a year or more ahead of the most serious competition, and that serious competition didn't offer a great deal not possible on PS2 other than exclusive games.

Whereas I think in most areas Switch 2 will start in a more favorable position than Switch 1 was. Coming off of a massive success, versus a massive home failure and middling portable success. Competition not as significant, especially as Xbox strategy shifts to more multiplatform. Seems likely there will be fewer games locked to the competition for technical reasons. Negative: Arriving relatively later than Switch 1 did. Unknown: Price.

Back
Top Bottom