• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Hardware Do you own any of those Retro Handhelds ?

I own miyoo mini plus, rg353v, retroid pocket 2 and retroid pocket 3 plus, pocket go, rg228v (or something) and steamdeck.

Must say, i love the retroid pocket 3 plus the most, feels like a mini switch. second the miyoo mini plus. Both have a better dpbad than my arbenic devices.

So I've joined the "My Odin 2 has shipped" club as I wait for the new retro handheld hypebeast device to arrive. If it does arrive before Christmas I'm just not going to open until then and have a good holiday with it. I've spent this year lookin at and messing with basically all of these things that have been hyped up by the general Retro Handheld community. The Miyoos, the Anbernics, the Powkiddys, the Retroids, etc. and this will be my first time personally having an AYN. I'm keeping my expectations relatively tempered for this thing, mostly in terms of latency. I'm mostly getting it to play PS2 RPGs on anyways.

I think my opinions have shifted around pretty significantly since the last time I talked about what I like and use. Debating on just making that post now while I'm having insomnia bouts or just waiting for the post Odin 2 experience.

I guess I'm going to make that super long post about where I'm at with these things compared to back in September and to list out some current thoughts now that I'm more familiar with these devices. I don't own every device, but I have my own handful. The ones I don't own that I'll mention using I've had the experience of messing with a friend's and going through set up and troubleshooting with them together. Trying out a bunch of these and just physically holding them with many to choose from kinda brings me to the main point I've hit, which boils down to this hobby and market is kinda stupid and silly. It's stupid and silly in a way that I find fun, but at the end of the day these are cheap gadgets full of jank and compromise. Seeing how far you can push cheap hardware to try and make a serious game time machine out of a budget techtoy kinda rules, but at the end of the day I'm trying to just play games man which is hit and miss. Let me just list off the main ones I talk about at this point:

Miyoo Mini Plus / RG35XX: This is where my opinion has stayed pretty consistent, because I still really adore these kinds of handhelds. If anything my opinion of them has only gotten stronger as they get cheaper and more people get their hands on them. These two models are so crazy good specifically because of Onion/Garlic OS making it so fast and easy to actually get in game time across a bunch of different stuff. The form factor stays winning as a pocketable device, and the performance for the price is exactly what I ask.

I do run into the limitations of that form factor pretty often though. This thing can run PS1 games, but several of the games I want to play out of that catalog (read: RPGs) just are not as comfy as they should be. The screen is just straight up too small, and the device is not comfortable for long enough to really get good enough sessions out of. That's okay, and the perf headroom isn't wasted since there are some PS1 games I like well enough on it. I would just be weary about it if that's something that matters to you; the device isn't built for it. Looking at them this way, the RG35XX Plus feels actually way overkill. I just don't think the more systems and high powered chip it brings to the table are worth, cause the majority of those things I'd have no interest in even attempting on it. The price and form factor are still right though so I'd rec it assuming everything goes well post launch. This is still in the sweet spot of where I think people should try these things out for the asking price and see how they feel. Great return on investment IMO.

Retroid Pocket 3+ and Other T618 Devices: This is where I have fallen kind of off the boat in regards to handhelds. The RP3+ was in theory my go to device for most things, and I've slowly used it less because it just isn't good enough at what I need it do. The first thing that gets me is actually that I think the pocketability hurts things more than it helps. The conclusion I've come to is, "If it fits in my pocket, the screen is probably going to limit what I play on it." Yes, it's cool that it fits in my pocket and can play so much stuff. Unfortunately, most of the stuff I'm comfy playing on a screen that size is already covered by the Miyoo Mini+. The upside is this thing is 10x more comfy to play on than the MM+, but that only goes so far in a device that is over twice the price. It's also just big enough to be a bit of an annoyance to actually carry around in a pocket, further pushing the MM+ as my out and about device. Finally, I don't have as many hangups with Android as others do, but it is slower and more cumbersome to get around different games than Onion/Garlic/Linux. That's not a deal breaker to me at all, but it further pushes things out of favor for it.

Then the next big problem is that I don't feel like the power and emulation capabilities are strong enough to warrant paying for one of these if that is your primary concern. Saturn is my number one complaint, where despite several reviewers saying it's fine, it is not really up to my standard of playability. Dreamcast fairs okay I guess, but it's still not quite there. Then there's the PS2/GCN elephant in the room every time somebody brings a T618 device into discussion. I actually...don't think it's that bad if you know what you are signing up for. That being said, knowing what you are signing up for is a big ask. The community spreadsheet is a bunch of half truths, and people have varying standards of what they want to put up with which can't be accurately assessed until you test your own library on it. Fair enough, but then I personally ran back into issue of screen size and now controls. Once you check off the PS2/GCN games that aren't playable, then go back and check off the ones that aren't comfortable on that size screen or using the smaller controls on the device., there isn't a whole lot left. At that point it really becomes a "make the best of it you can" type of situation.

So like, I'm pretty disappointed in this device and ones like it, not even because I think they are that bad. In fact, if you want a catch all device (and specifically wanna fiddle with PSP) and want the extra luxury it's fine. I just wouldn't own one while also owning a MM+ or RG35XX, and I'd heavily consider those first because of the price. The main benefit is comfort and the added luxury of a few additional games and better controls. If you do wanna spend this much on a device that is pocketable, I actually would even rec the RG405m over it since you're already overspending. Might as well keep it 4:3 and smaller, and the metal case feels nice for what you pay for it. GammaOS is also a really nice benefit if you wanna go that route. Only go for the RP3+ if that 16:9 screen matters to you or you prefer the style/pricing. None of the other devices in this range are worth looking at IMO, they all have these exact same problems and then some. The Retroid Pocket Flip is just a 3+ in a clamshell I guess so keep that in mind if the RP3+ is still your jam.

On a more positive note to end off on these devices, I do actually quite like the Retroid Pocket 2S and will rec it heavily over the RP3+ any day. It uses a 4:3 screen and keeps itself pocketable, it has a much more comfortable form factor than a vertical, and it has enough power for the luxury "bonus games" over the MM+/RG35XX class of devices. The price of $99 is just right for those changes , and makes it really compelling for people who want something that is more heavily used. Hell, even at $120 for the upgraded version I'm still okay with it, but honestly most people aren't going to need that. I just feel like that's a price I can justify for a catch all PS1 and under device with the "bonus systems" where the others all feel like overpaying for a nicer toy. Again, I don't think the RP3+ or RG405m are bad devices, just they aren't adding a lot of functionality for the price from my experience.

Powkiddy, AYN, and Steam Deck: Powkiddy this year seems to have taken some notes on where the market is at, and have also aggressively targeted the $100 price point to undercut the T618 range of devices in a similar vein to the Retroid Pocket 2S. The X55 and RGB30 are the winners out of their line up. Those hit the spec(RK3566) and price point that make sense upgrading to over the MM+ entry level, but I can't speak much on them because I barely messed with them. I just have never been a huge fan of Powkiddy device, they always feel kinda cheap and undercooked. I will say that the RGB30 is a really compelling case of a Linux based system that can value match the RP2S, so it's something worth keeping an eye on or checking out. In general finding the right device at this price point is the real place to look, and I'd ignore pushing for PS2/GCN/Saturn in favor of comfort and features you'd want.

AYN devices are also in a weird spot for me. The Odin is actually around the right size and comfort level for me to actually find it enjoyable to play PS2 and GCN on. Yes, they are outside the realm of being able to fit in a pocket, but the moment those systems are introduced I think it's actually a good thing to aim for that size. My preferred size is somewhere around a Switch Lite, maybe between that and regular Switch. Add some grip, and then you have an Odin. They are cool, but they aren't without faults. Mostly they still lack in power for the price you are paying for, and they also have some catching up to do in the latency department. Everything else about these things is pretty good, but crossing $200 and not getting full Saturn/PS2/GCN compatibility is a non starter. The Odin 2 checks that box supposedly, so I am going to get my hands on that. I just hope the latency is reduced enough to be tolerable at this point. I think the pricing is a little high, especially locking the cool colors behind the $80 upgrade, but it's Christmas fuck it we ball. My expectations are honestly pretty low and I have the option to sell it, but I crave good form factor, screen, and battery out of an Android emulator.

Then there's the Steam Deck, which has wormed it's way back into my life. It's still too big, the battery is a bit of a bummer, and it's always annoying to keep set up and up to date. However, now that I have a cloud save system between that and my PC it's crazy how convenient is to drop from a game on my PC, then immediately go to it in bed with the exact same savestate. It also just has the juice to work with everything so I never really have to worry. "Just get a Steam Deck" really is an easy answer now, especially since the pricing on the LCD models has gotten pretty great for a whole ass handheld PC. That being said, it's still a lot of money and opens you up to the handheld PC sector rather than emulation. That is a can of worms I don't want to get into, and it feels like there's a decision to be made there past whatever the definition of a retro handheld is. I also avoid using it sometimes for a reason. It's loud, hot, heavy, and yeah I forget to keep it charged and end up tethered to a wall more often than I'd like. It's why I'm still looking for the goldilocks PS2 device to put an end to things for now.

The Cool Toy Factor: So like, if you bothered to read all that it's probably nothing you haven't heard before, but I did feel like typing out how I feel about them after deep diving in for a little bit. I know I kinda spent a lot of time shitting on the RP3+ and those things, but I do want to clarify that I actually like that thing still and devices like it. It's just, the pricing for the actual gaming capabilities in this hobby is all out of whack and needs to come way down. The MM+ and RG35xx baseline that's been set is so good that it makes spending upwards of $100 on the other devices feel really silly, especially after how hyped up they've been by the Youtube sphere. I say this as I don my clown make up over paying exorbitant prices for the Odin 2, they got my ass. Still, I do really like the cool tech toy factor and just think they're neat. I do think that has some kind of value that's worth appreciating, but I'm gonna be weary and try to keep in line of things I actually play with and don't get into too much ewaste. Maybe a FunkeyS is acceptable ewaste, I want the cute keychain accessory that actually has Pokemon Crystal on it. I'm just going to be a lot more skeptical going into things and keep expectations in check, and rec things more on how much people want a fun tech toy and warn them about the gaming experience being so hit and miss from now on outside of the "solved" systems of PS1 and earlier (excluding Saturn).

Last edited:
Still loving my Miyoo Mini, I want a middle ground device between Miyoo and Steam Deck size/power but I haven't found the right fit yet. Retroid 2S and RGB30 are closest to what I want, but haven't tried either.

I've had a retroid pocket 2+ since mid 2022. I've been using it to play SNES games mostly, plus a few GB/GBC/GBA games. It's been a good experience for the most part, but I have had my share of "grass is greener" moments with newer and/or more advanced handhelds.

The strongest pull has been for the RGB30 and a Steamdeck. RGB30 for GB/GBC and Pico 8, Steamdeck for basically everything else.

I've been watching the Retro Game Corp channel a lot since I got my RP2+ and come to understand that there always seem to be tradeoffs with these devices, so if you're shopping for one you need to consider what games you want to play and how much jank you're willing to put up with. I really want that RGB30 screen and native Pico8 support, but I don't know if I trust the Powkiddy build quality and charging jank that i've read about.

I also wish that there were more systems that didn't have joysticks. I'm probably never going to play a twin-stick game on my RP2+, so these sticks just get in the way and make worry that I'll break them when I put it in my pockets.

I’ve had my Odin 2 since Monday and I’m not done setting it up yet 😫 This is mostly due to my extreme lack of free time this week and not necessarily an indictment of Android handhelds. Although my MM+ was a hell of a lot faster to get up and running - add Onion to your card, install it, add your ROMs and off you go. I should be done setting everything up on the Odin 2 tonight if all goes according to plan at least. I feel a lot more comfortable doing it this time, now that I have experience with my G Cloud which is also Android, so everything is basically exactly the same now, and I have a better idea of how to set up Daijisho how I want it. And I feel confident saying that, once all is said and done, I think I’m going to be very happy with the Odin 2, both from a hardware perspective and also a software one. It’s more complicated than Onion OS, but I can’t very well play PS2 on my MM+, can I? Some compromises have to be made.

Have spent days setting up the retroid pocket flip for a friend, I will (probably) never buy another android based device again. If it ain't Linux it's not in this household.

I actually quite like Android after getting familiar with it on my Retroids lol. Just needs better emulation support for me to not worry about devices using it.

Whew. I've got things in a state where I'm more or less happy with them at the moment. Although I'm having a weird issue where Daijisho won't work with Citra. I've never run into this before. Launching games from Citra itself works fine so it's not the end of the world. It's just an annoyance.

Whew. I've got things in a state where I'm more or less happy with them at the moment. Although I'm having a weird issue where Daijisho won't work with Citra. I've never run into this before. Launching games from Citra itself works fine so it's not the end of the world. It's just an annoyance.
I heard there's a bug/issue with Daijisho and launching specific emulators right now that might take a minute to get fixed.

I'm toying with the idea of buying an Analogue Pocket. At the moment, I'm using my hacked Switch as a retro handheld, but:

1. I hate RetroArch and its dozillions subsubsubmenus hidden behind submenus. On my Mac, I routinely use Dolphin and I don't have any issue getting everything running how I want but my mind just can't get RetroArch;
2. As strange as it might sound, I think Switch screen is a bit "too big" for GB and GBA;
3. JoyCons are "good enough" for 2D games, but a proper D-Pad is missing;
4. I would just like a dedicated Retro handheld :)

I would mainly play Nintendo retro consoles, and Analogue would be perfect for GB/C/A, and I know that there are NES and SNES cores. However:
1. AFAIK, they don't support scanlines filters;
2. The SNES cors doesn't even support save states and sleep mode;
3. I'm not sure the GB/C/A OpenFPGA cores (not Analogue's official cores) support Analogue Pocket's filters, which would make the entire thing a bit pointless.

So idk. Unfortunately, the Analogue Pocket is the only FPGA-based retro handheld (I think?). Everything else would use RetroArch.

I'm toying with the idea of buying an Analogue Pocket. At the moment, I'm using my hacked Switch as a retro handheld, but:

1. I hate RetroArch and its dozillions subsubsubmenus hidden behind submenus. On my Mac, I routinely use Dolphin and I don't have any issue getting everything running how I want but my mind just can't get RetroArch;
2. As strange as it might sound, I think Switch screen is a bit "too big" for GB and GBA;
3. JoyCons are "good enough" for 2D games, but a proper D-Pad is missing;
4. I would just like a dedicated Retro handheld :)

I would mainly play Nintendo retro consoles, and Analogue would be perfect for GB/C/A, and I know that there are NES and SNES cores. However:
1. AFAIK, they don't support scanlines filters;
2. The SNES cors doesn't even support save states and sleep mode;
3. I'm not sure the GB/C/A OpenFPGA cores (not Analogue's official cores) support Analogue Pocket's filters, which would make the entire thing a bit pointless.

So idk. Unfortunately, the Analogue Pocket is the only FPGA-based retro handheld (I think?). Everything else would use RetroArch.
1 & 3 are currently correct but they say they will release a trinitron filter before Christmas in the 2.0 update and at the same time release their filters for OpenFPGA

Analogue Pocket OS v1.2 will be released in early December. OS v1.2 fixes many important bugs, adds new controller support, updates Nanoloop, and adds openFPGA Developer features. OS v2.0 will be released before Christmas featuring Original Display Mode support for openFPGA and a new CRT Trinitron Original Display Mode.

1 & 3 are currently correct but they say they will release a trinitron filter before Christmas in the 2.0 update and at the same time release their filters for OpenFPGA
Thanks! I bought the Pocket in the end. In the worst-case scenario, if I'm not satisfied, I can re-sell it only taking a minor loss.

My package with the Analogue Pocket should arrive on Monday. They said that it would arrive before Christmas, but I didn't expect to see it travel from the US to Europe in less than one week!

No, I have a Steam Deck, and if I want a smaller form factor I also have a hacked 3DS for stuff that'll run on that.

My current "wishlist" for these retro handhelds are

Something the size of the MM+/RG35SS that is pocketable and can do N64/Saturn/Dreamcast/PSP without compromise

Something the size of the Retroid Pocket Flip that can do gc/ps2/wii with no compromises while also having 2 screens for DS

An Ambernic Arc 2/3 that has the 6 button sega face and can run Saturn games without compromise

Also all of the above need to run linux because I hate using Android for these devices.

Last edited:
I think having this be a more dedicated ST would be kinda nifty at this point. Would @TheSpearGuy be interested in turning this thread into one with mod approval/help to change the title, or would it be cool to spin it off into a new thread? If we did the latter I wouldn't mind maintaining an OP but I feel like this OP should definitely have dibs.

I think having this be a more dedicated ST would be kinda nifty at this point. Would @TheSpearGuy be interested in turning this thread into one with mod approval/help to change the title, or would it be cool to spin it off into a new thread? If we did the latter I wouldn't mind maintaining an OP but I feel like this OP should definitely have dibs.
OP hasn’t logged in since August. I’d open a ticket and consult with staff before doing anything, but I would be all for an ST led by you!

Knew I should've built the ST over the weekend lol

The RP4 Pro is rocking more or less the same SoC as the Ayaneo Pocket Air that just dropped, but is undercutting it by $100. If it matches the performance of that device, it is looking like the $200 GCN/PS2 device people have been asking for. Analogue triggers and Hall sticks on it as well. I do think I'm going to keep my expectations in check on PS2 performance, since I'm curious if heat or any other implementation issue could keep it below the Pocket Air. The Pocket Air is already not quite the perfect PS2/Wii machine despite being pretty close, so it really is a wait and see approach. I also think reusing the shell and screen from the RP3 is a tough call, would've liked to see more improvements other than the start/select/etc placement.

Pretty solid looking device and sets the new expected benchmark of $200 for acceptable GCN/PS2 into the next wave of devices. That's assuming everything goes well; Retroid's track record on first runs of new releases is kinda shitty so I'm going to be eying reviews before I recommend or get my hands on one. I'm really hoping they have it together this time since they re reusing so much, it'd be real cool to have the $200 segment of the market be worth recommending again.

Gonna go write that ST now

Knew I should've built the ST over the weekend lol
IMG-0982.gif

I didn’t expect the Retroid Pocket 4 so soon given the fairly recent RP2S refresh.

That said, this is still a pass for me. If the Ayaneo Pocket Air with the same MTK D1100 CPU is anything to go by, Saturn and PlayStation 2 emulation are still sub-par.

Ultimately, I’ll have to make some concessions and/or spend more than $200. For example, I strongly prefer a 4:3 display and I suspect those will be harder to source in the future. I considered the Retroid Pocket 2S, but the power isn’t quite there yet for my needs. Also, it could stand to have at least a four inch display.

IMG-0982.gif

I didn’t expect the Retroid Pocket 4 so soon given the fairly recent RP2S refresh.

That said, this is still a pass for me. If the Ayaneo Pocket Air with the same MTK D1100 CPU is anything to go by, Saturn and PlayStation 2 emulation are still sub-par.

Ultimately, I’ll have to make some concessions and/or spend more than $200. For example, I strongly prefer a 4:3 display and I suspect those will be harder to source in the future. I considered the Retroid Pocket 2S, but the power isn’t quite there yet for my needs. Also, it could stand to have at least a four inch display.
actually, the Pocket Air has a slightly better chip than the RP4 Pro, a D1200 vs the D1100.

The RP4 has been made redundant for me with the Odin 2. It’s good that something with decent power is going to be available for less than an Odin 2 though!

Super Metroid on the Analogue Pocket is... something else.

SNES, in general, is great on the Pocket. The 8:7 resolution perfectly fits the 10:9 screen with just two very small rows of pixels.

Super Metroid on the Analogue Pocket is... something else.

SNES, in general, is great on the Pocket. The 8:7 resolution perfectly fits the 10:9 screen with just two very small rows of pixels.
Does the Pocket have shoulder buttons? How does it feel to play? I couldn’t imagine playing Super Metroid on my MM+ because of how uncomfortable it is to use the shoulder buttons.

Does the Pocket have shoulder buttons? How does it feel to play? I couldn’t imagine playing Super Metroid on my MM+ because of how uncomfortable it is to use the shoulder buttons.
It does! I have seen a lot of reviews criticizing them, but I find them comfortable, though I have tiny hands.

Incorrect diagonal input is one issue I have never seen mentioned in reviews. You go a bit up or down while pushing left or right, and the D-Pad registers it as a diagonal. I quickly got used to it, and it's rarely been a real problem. On the bright side, diagonal inputs are easier and more comfortable than with a 3DS D-Pad.

The Pocket is great. Great screen, great audio, and it just works. You don't have to configure anything, it is just a portable SNES with 100% compatibility. However, SNES core does not support save states or sleep mode (through NES and handled cores do).

EDIT: @Red Monster Someone opened this thread on Reddit a few hours ago:

Last edited:
Preorders for the RP4/RP4P are live

Finally taking the plunge on a Retroid product with this one. I think it'll be a nice complement to the official systems, the Miyoo Mini for small scale stuff, and a PC/Steam Deck (if I actually touch mine) for more intensive stuff. This hits that middle ground for 3D games, some Android, and some PS2/GC.

The RG35XXH was also announced. RG35XX+ but in horizontal form factor and sticks added on. If they can keep it below $70 and GarlicOS 2.0 hits it that could be a solid rec for a horizontal.

Edit: The ST is basically fully written and sitting in a google doc, it just needs a pretty banner. I would've had it done by now but Holiday vacation started so I've been pretty busy. If anybody wants to contribute I'll credit it :v

Finally taking the plunge on a Retroid product with this one. I think it'll be a nice complement to the official systems, the Miyoo Mini for small scale stuff, and a PC/Steam Deck (if I actually touch mine) for more intensive stuff. This hits that middle ground for 3D games, some Android, and some PS2/GC.
Nice! Which one did you go for? I assume a Pro since you want PS2/GCN? If I didn't buy an Odin 2 I would have 100% jumped on a RP4 pro.

The RG35XXH was also announced. RG35XX+ but in horizontal form factor and sticks added on. If they can keep it below $70 and GarlicOS 2.0 hits it that could be a solid rec for a horizontal.

Edit: The ST is basically fully written and sitting in a google doc, it just needs a pretty banner. I would've had it done by now but Holiday vacation started so I've been pretty busy. If anybody wants to contribute I'll credit it :v
I do like the idea of a horizontal RG35XX+. It's even got sticks for N64 and DC. That looks like it'll be a solid GBA device.

I would love to help with the banner, but I have less than zero graphic design skills. Don't sweat it though, there's no rush!

Nice! Which one did you go for? I assume a Pro since you want PS2/GCN? If I didn't buy an Odin 2 I would have 100% jumped on a RP4 pro.
Yeah, I got the Pro. Odin 2 is definitely a great get, but since I got a Deck, I don't need the extreme power so much as good power and a nice size. I think it'll fit in quite nicely for my needs!

Seems like i'm finally joining the community, just when i had given up on it.

I just got told that an Anbernic RG351p is coming this way today or tomorrow. That's right, this little guy (Xmas present yay!)

51AU+PtuWFL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Funny thing is that i had researched mostly Retroid since i prefer their form factor and shoulder button placement, but this looks like a turbo GBA? Screen aspect ratio and all. Looked it up a bit, but everything related to custom firmwares and all seems to have been covered up to 2022 at most? At least by the youtubers i'm used to watch (Taki Udon, Retro Dodo and Retro Game Corps, basically)

So what's the state of this little machine as of today? What's the best option for custom firmware? Compatibility, performance and stability wise. So far i got that ArkOS seems to be the best, but that was in a 2022 video.

Also, weird question, but can this be connected to the internet via OTG+USB to Ethernet adapter? I have a Samsung Dex dongle i could easily use for that.

So what's the state of this little machine as of today? What's the best option for custom firmware? Compatibility, performance and stability wise. So far i got that ArkOS seems to be the best, but that was in a 2022 video.

Also, weird question, but can this be connected to the internet via OTG+USB to Ethernet adapter? I have a Samsung Dex dongle i could easily use for that.
This is just an older and popular Anbernic model, so it had good support that fell off as newer things came out. ArkOS is probably the easiest and safest bet to get things going. Expect it to be a 16bit machine that excels at GBA because of the screen. AFAIK you're not gonna get internet compatibility with this thing. The 351 is still a great little thing and a good entry point to Linux handhelds these days, especially if you like GBA.

The 4 Pro looks soooooo gooooood ugh lol. I'm gonna have to put my funds together and yoink it...
I'll have another writeup probably~

This is just an older and popular Anbernic model, so it had good support that fell off as newer things came out. ArkOS is probably the easiest and safest bet to get things going. Expect it to be a 16bit machine that excels at GBA because of the screen. AFAIK you're not gonna get internet compatibility with this thing. The 351 is still a great little thing and a good entry point to Linux handhelds these days, especially if you like GBA.
Oh yes, i don't really intend to go beyond GBA and, maybe, DS - if it looks good - and PSX. We went through a year long rough patch and i had to sell all my handhelds save for the 3DS (and even that one, i was prepared to put it on eBay at any time), i was looking for second hand handhelds on the cash converters website, stumbled upon the 351p and my sister bought it behind my back. She used my account, so her cover was blown at the moment i received the order confirmation e-mail lol.

I've researched it like crazy, apparently ArkOS was abandoned by the developers pretty early, but i still want to try it so i'll get another SD card later. Apparently, Amberelec is the best option for newbies, so i'm aiming for that.

I've decided to save money and get a Retroid Pocket 4 or 4 pro later since it checks all the boxes, but i'm more than happy with the 351p for now. It covers all i want to play, from other handhelds like Neo Geo Pocket and Lynx to DOS games - if this thing can run PC Futbol 4 or 5, my productivity is going down the drain.

Now i'm more worried about the sticks, since they're Joycon style and the console is second hand, i'll have to look if they can be replaced, or even if i can install hall effect joysticks on it.

Merry xmas!

Oh yes, i don't really intend to go beyond GBA and, maybe, DS - if it looks good - and PSX. We went through a year long rough patch and i had to sell all my handhelds save for the 3DS (and even that one, i was prepared to put it on eBay at any time), i was looking for second hand handhelds on the cash converters website, stumbled upon the 351p and my sister bought it behind my back. She used my account, so her cover was blown at the moment i received the order confirmation e-mail lol.

I've researched it like crazy, apparently ArkOS was abandoned by the developers pretty early, but i still want to try it so i'll get another SD card later. Apparently, Amberelec is the best option for newbies, so i'm aiming for that.

I've decided to save money and get a Retroid Pocket 4 or 4 pro later since it checks all the boxes, but i'm more than happy with the 351p for now. It covers all i want to play, from other handhelds like Neo Geo Pocket and Lynx to DOS games - if this thing can run PC Futbol 4 or 5, my productivity is going down the drain.

Now i'm more worried about the sticks, since they're Joycon style and the console is second hand, i'll have to look if they can be replaced, or even if i can install hall effect joysticks on it.

Merry xmas!
You can get wifi running on a RG351P with an OTG adapter and USB wifi dongle. You should be able to use Hall effect Switch sticks because it just uses joycon style sticks already too

good luck!

Merry xmas!
enjoy your new handheld buddy! These things are simply awesome. You’re gonna have to play another Pokemon game now!

You can get wifi running on a RG351P with an OTG adapter and USB wifi dongle. You should be able to use Hall effect Switch sticks because it just uses joycon style sticks already too

good luck!
Sounds good. I plan to test some analog compatible PSX and N64 games - mostly racers, i love that era of racing games - and wouldn't like the sticks to fuck up my enjoyment. I read the console originally came with a Wifi dongle, but given that it's second hand, i'll have to invest some money on one, i'm afraid (unless it takes Ethernet by USB)

enjoy your new handheld buddy! These things are simply awesome. You’re gonna have to play another Pokemon game now!
Haha yeah, can't sleep on it anymore, can't i? If it runs and looks good, i'll play Soulsilver, i looked into how DS games work (Screen shifting) and i'm ok with it, most of the games i want to replay give the touch screen a secondary use, so i'll be fine with it.

We've had a long chain of non work and festive days, so my RG351p wont come home until tomorrow, at least 🥲

Oh well, i just ordered a Wifi dongle, nothing too expensive (a 150Mbps TP-Link dongle) so, coupling that with the 128 GB microSD card i ordered when my sis ordered the console, i think i'm ready (i have like 6 OTG adapters between straight and L-shaped USB-C to USB adapters) so all thats left is picking a firmware and wait.

I'll be posting impressions at the weekend or so, once i've been able to tinker enough with at least one firmware. I'm both excited AND cautiously excited, this is my first foray into the world of emulation handhelds.

If the experience is good - and i'm knowledgeable enough to understand the limits of the hardware, so i'm aware of what i'll be able to play, though optimization is a factor here - i'll start saving for a Retroid Pocket 4 pro. I plan on keeping the RG351p though, i get the feeling that there are emulated handhelds that are going to look better here than anywhere else.

Cool, please post some pictures of your home screen when you get the chance.
Home screen is basically the first console on the list ô__o

I installed Amberelec, and i'm going crazy with all that i can play here, there's even a port of Stardew valley? I'm taking this thing to my grave.

I'll be giving detailed impressions tomorrow or later, but i'm loving it. My only issue now is getting inside my 40GB Mame folder and taking the roms i want (jesus christ why are there so many games!?)

EDIT: I also found out there's a deprecated Android port. It obviously wont wont run nicely, but i'm curious.

Back
Top Bottom