• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion DidYouKnowGaming: Star Fox Grand Prix: Nintendo Switch Mystery SOLVED! (See Staff Post)

Going to be honest, using an actual account as a pseudonym was a bad move and is just going to confuse people. Really should have gone with something more obviously placeholder.

Keep conversations civil and polite
Hey everyone, just a reminder to keep conversations civil and polite here. This is a light hearted topic and video so let’s keep it at that level. Thanks!

-xghost777, Josh5890, PixelKnight

Going to be honest, using an actual account as a pseudonym was a bad move and is just going to confuse people. Really should have gone with something more obviously placeholder.

Should've just called it 'fakeleaker123' or something. Or Mr. X, whatever. This is the dumbest decision they could make.

Just watched the video.
Beyond the absolute insane revelation that RogersBase was behind the title and logo lmaooo, I still find the whole timeline and explanation confusing as hell.
It didn't just all started on May 14, the video even acknowledge it at some point, saying it was going around for some weeks before that among some groups.
Even our Nintendo community on Era got teased that Retro might be working on a classic Nintendo IP, but in a different genre, weeks before that rumor appeared on every news site.

So was it really just some journalist lying to his friends/colleagues and telling them "yeah i just saw a Retro made Star Fox racing game" when he just came out of a Ubisoft private showing of Star Link ? How come journalists were so sure about it, even saying stuff like "my Nintendo source is telling me..." when it originated from a journalist who has nothing to do with Nintendo ? This will always remain an insane rumor lol, really shows how video game journalism is still struggling to check facts and rumors, when something as dumb as a guy supposedly coming out of a Ubisoft private showcase and saying he saw Retro new game, and RogersBase making a logo for the laugh, made the entire video game journalists community so sure it was real.

Just watched the video.
Beyond the absolute insane revelation that RogersBase was behind the title and logo lmaooo, I still find the whole timeline and explanation confusing as hell.
It didn't just all started on May 14, the video even acknowledge it at some point, saying it was going around for some weeks before that among some groups.
Even our Nintendo community on Era got teased that Retro might be working on a classic Nintendo IP, but in a different genre, weeks before that rumor appeared on every news site.

So was it really just some journalist lying to his friends/colleagues and telling them "yeah i just saw a Retro made Star Fox racing game" when he just came out of a Ubisoft private showing of Star Link ? How come journalists were so sure about it, even saying stuff like "my Nintendo source is telling me..." when it originated from a journalist who has nothing to do with Nintendo ? This will always remain an insane rumor lol, really shows how video game journalism is still struggling to check facts and rumors, when something as dumb as a guy supposedly coming out of a Ubisoft private showcase and saying he saw Retro new game, and RogersBase making a logo for the laugh, made the entire video game journalists community so sure it was real.
what it tells me is that these journalists really don't want to be wrong. even with the benefit of anonymity

Okay, finally got around to watching the video. This was actually really cool and informative - I'd heard a version of the story before but this one seems more detailed and accurate

The whole thing honestly reminds me a lot of this xkcd comic:
citogenesis.png

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Watching this video was a blast to the past. 2016-2018 was a wild time for rumors, and after how accurate some were with the Switch reveal/Jan event/E3/etc, Grand Prix definitely had the benefit of the doubt. Can't say I'm surprised that it was a total hoax, and I'm also not surprised that various sources are in disagreement over who said what. The whole affair has to be embarrassing for those involved. I just hope the internet mobs don't act stupid and flame people over this video.

First let me say thank you for writing a well-reasoned, well thought out, polite post that doesn't just descend into name calling. I agree that NDCube do not carry the prestige that Retro do, but I think calling Retro the most skilled and well-known subsidiary is giving far too much benefit of the doubt for a studio that hasn't released a new game in almost ten years (which in many cases is two or three development cycles for a studio, and is unprecedented in this industry); furthermore, NDCube putting out a ~20 M seller is quite an accomplishment within itself. It's why I think—balancing NDCube's recent successful output with Retro's history of critical acclaim—putting them on a similar level, at least as things stand, is fair, while fully acknowledging that Retro are posed to immediately ascend the subsidiary rankings were Prime 4 to be another critical hit, which I hope it is.

I think you're exaggerating how long it's been since DKCTF came out. To me it feels like just several months ago that it was 2014 and I got it at launch. I know it wasn't that short of a time period ago, but it's definitely less than a decade.

They've also released Metroid Prime Remastered since then.

I think you're exaggerating how long it's been since DKCTF came out. To me it feels like just several months ago that it was 2014 and I got it at launch. I know it wasn't that short of a time period ago, but it's definitely less than a decade.

They've also released Metroid Prime Remastered since then.
its 9 years. It is pretty long, although when this rumour was revealed it wasnt that long since TF had released but nobody is going to read this lol

...What does this even mean? You know we're in the year 2023 right? It's literally been more than nine years since Tropical Freeze came out. How is "almost ten years" an exaggeration by any definition. What do personal feelings have to do with anything

Last edited:
DYKG os doing low key one of the best investigative journalism out there.

Super impressive stuff. Props to them.

...What does this even mean? You know we're in the year 2023 right? It's literally been more than nine years since Tropical Freeze came out. How is "almost ten years" an exaggeration by any definition. What do personal feelings have to do with anything

I legit forgot we're in 2023 yes. I thought it had only been five years or so since 2014. My view of time is messed up.

Back
Top Bottom