• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion DidYouKnowGaming: Star Fox Grand Prix: Nintendo Switch Mystery SOLVED! (See Staff Post)

Very interesting. I initially was all in on the rumor, but as time has gone on, I figured it was an elaborate hoax. The details sounded believable, and the logo looked quite professional. Now, id love to get an update on some older switch era rumors, like pokemon stars, or gamecube games on virtual console.

based off everything we’ve learned all these years

I’m guessing it was just a hoax the entire time. With lucky coincidence from that Ubisoft racing mode adding to the mystery.

That was all so stupid.
Basically, tons of people are liars and the others are gullible.
It is funny to see how much complete rubbish can spread in the right circumstances though.

Okay. I watched the video and I’m confused.

Waddledeeknows was an actual person. An account by Jon for an experiment. But here they’re claiming it’s someone else. But wouldn’t people get confused here since Jon literally has a video of him showing the account experiment? I see him getting a lot of messages about this.

Anyways. Yeah. Looks like a complete hoax which many thought after all the info that came after.

It's very interesting that there were pitches at retro to make a star fox game.

Personally, i always despised the idea. Retro is Nintendo's most known and skilled subsidiary, i hated the fact that they were doing a racing spin off for a dead ip.

To be fair, both Metroid and DKC were both kinda dead or in decline when Retro got their hands on them. I imagine that's probably why a lot of fans keep asking Retro to do their magic for series that were/are similarly stuck in the ground like Star Fox or StarTropics.

Not saying that I believe the rumour but there are some glassdoor reviews in Retro Studio's page that mention the starfox racing game

Okay. I watched the video and I’m confused.

Waddledeeknows was an actual person. An account by Jon for an experiment. But here they’re claiming it’s someone else. But wouldn’t people get confused here since Jon literally has a video of him showing the account experiment? I see him getting a lot of messages about this.

Anyways. Yeah. Looks like a complete hoax which many thought after all the info that came after.
Yeah I'm confused watching this. Are they trying to imply it's Jon? I find that hard to believe.

To be fair, both Metroid and DKC were both kinda dead or in decline when Retro got their hands on them. I imagine that's probably why a lot of fans keep asking Retro to do their magic for series that were/are similarly stuck in the ground like Star Fox or StarTropics.
The problem was it being a racing game for me. Retro wasnt trying to do a dance game for the metroid series or a banana simulation for DK. If they were trying to do a new take on an action adventure game now that would be interesting, but a racing game?

The problem was it being a racing game for me. Retro wasnt trying to do a dance game for the metroid series or a banana simulation for DK. If they were trying to do a new take on an action adventure game now that would be interesting, but a racing game?
All Donkey Kong games are banana simulations if you really think about it

Can someone do a TL;DR. I heard an explanation a while back and I wanna know whether it's the same one

Out of all people, Rogersbase made the logo??? Wth lol.
For me, the big surprise was that he was behind that "official" Professor Layton twitter account from like 10 years ago.

I always suspected something was fishy about that account because I remember tweets about unannounced Smash Bros. characters that I don't think Nintendo would ever allow someone in an official capacity to say.

I don't think they're implying it's Jon Cartwright (they are even in the comments saying it wasn't him), they were probably just using his experiment account tweets to dramatize as a twitter leaker while protecting the other person's identity. I remember Jon was the channel NomComms around then and he was just like, chilling making videos from what I remember.

This rumor is still really funny and I'm not sure why anyone entertains the idea that so called professionals were confused about what game they were being shown.

Yeah I'm confused watching this. Are they trying to imply it's Jon? I find that hard to believe.
No, they said the actual person only gave them info on the condition of anonymity. As the video states, "We gotta call him something though, so we'll call him 'Waddle Dee Knows.'" The video also points out that Waddle Dee Knows is a parody twitter leaker account. They aren't implicating Jon, just using the Waddle Dee name as a placeholder.

No, they said the actual person only gave them info on the condition of anonymity. As the video states, "We gotta call him something though, so we'll call him 'Waddle Dee Knows.'" The video also points out that Waddle Dee Knows is a parody twitter leaker account. They aren't implicating Jon, just using the Waddle Dee name as a placeholder.
That’s the thing. They should’ve probably used a different name and not one that has an actual identity behind it lol.

It’s gonna lead to confusion. Tho i doubt this story is gonna gain traction. It’s Been out of the spotlight for so long that probably just a neat thing.

So the plot twist was that someone sent the Rogers Base logo to IGN AND somebody indeed saw a preview of Star Fox content in Star Link, and told that to someone thinking it was a Star Fox game made by Retro, which made all the outlets post it at the same time lmao.

I even remember back then when Stealth said on his Twitter there was a friend of his that saw Star Fox Grand Prix and it looked amazing (I mean Star Link does look incredible and we now know some source of the outlets indeed mistook Star Link as a Retro Star Fox game, so everything is in place now lol).

I called this fake all those years ago, and I got a fair bit of shit from people on the old forum, including some that are on this forum now, all because some well known insiders like Emily were entertaining the rumor. It goes to show you that you can never take what insiders say, even Emily and Nate, as truth.

Bryan Walker left Retro sometime after DKCR shipped, so he wouldn't know anything about what was going on with Retro after that point. It seems people will never learn their lesson as far as Retro Studios leaks go. At least it was a wild, entertaining ride though.

That’s the thing. They should’ve probably used a different name and not one that has an actual identity behind it lol.

It’s gonna lead to confusion. Tho i doubt this story is gonna gain traction. It’s Been out of the spotlight for so long that probably just a neat thing.
I suppose their thinking was if they tried making up a name, there could actually be someone with that name on the internet that could end up getting a bunch of hate for it, so they went with a known parody account instead.

But given the nature of how the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor spread, I wouldn't be surprised if we see articles with the headline, "YouTuber Jon Cartwright responsible for the Star Fox Grand Prix hoax" lol.

given the nature of how the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor spread, I wouldn't be surprised if we see articles with the headline, "YouTuber Jon Cartwright responsible for the Star Fox Grand Prix hoax" lol.
I'll be right back. Busy sending this video to gaming news sites with this revelation as the headline.

Haven't watched yet but part of me always felt like this is what Retro was working on for a long time (considering they must have been doing something between DKTF and MP4) and it ended up cancelled so they covered it up as a "leaker bait game that never existed."

I'm sure my take will be altered after watching though lol.

Last edited:
The whole history of this is super confusing at times (like the confusion with Jon's hoax leaker alt), but ultimately it was like a game of telephone that went out of control. What was also interesting is the Retro devs clarifying that the rumored Star Fox x Metroid never existed either. Glad both of these are finally resolved.

Now c'mon Nintendo, you see there's interest in the IP. Make a new Star Fox game already!

They said they still don’t know what the cancelled Retro game was from 2018 and they’ve talked to former and current employees. You’re telling me no one at Retro or former employee is willing to talk about it?
I'm sure it's an NDA

They said they still don’t know what the cancelled Retro game was from 2018 and they’ve talked to former and current employees. You’re telling me no one at Retro or former employee is willing to talk about it?

Nobody is going to be willing to talk about it because it's surely both under a NDA and quite likely to influence future pitches from retro, even if it didn't make it in the first instance. It got far enough that they must have been developing it for a significant amount of time, and it's unlikely they just threw all of that work away if it could be repurposed for something else

The whole history of this is super confusing at times (like the confusion with Jon's hoax leaker alt), but ultimately it was like a game of telephone that went out of control. What was also interesting is the Retro devs clarifying that the rumored Star Fox x Metroid never existed either. Glad both of these are finally resolved.

I'm not going to speculate but the former ex-Retro Studios employee did say the rumored Star Fox x Metroid crossover was clickbait, but not outright stating it was false, which is interesting to note.

I wonder if they might come back to it after Prime. For all we know they were deep in development on whatever they were working on before they had to rescue Prime 4. But yeah, in my heart I feel like everything they did from early 2014 to late 2018 outside of the TF port and early work on Prime R was cancelled. It sucks so bad that there is no Retro Studios game from this time period... I would have gladly welcomed even them just doing a DKC 6.

I wonder if they might come back to it after Prime. For all we know they were deep in development on whatever they were working on before they had to rescue Prime 4. But yeah, in my heart I feel like everything they did from early 2014 to late 2018 outside of the TF port and early work on Prime R was cancelled. It sucks so bad that there is no Retro Studios game from this time period... I would have gladly welcomed even them just doing a DKC 6.
I mean, of course nintendo didn't cancel retro's shit for them to work on mp4 lol, shit had to be bad for this to happen.

I mean, of course nintendo didn't cancel retro's shit for them to work on mp4 lol, shit had to be bad for this to happen.

I know, but it may have been cancelled for other reasons prior to taking it over. Some people think there were two games cancelled in that 5 year period, but in reality we have no idea what they were up to or what happened aside from their work on the TF port and early work on MPR.

I thought maybe it was pitch that was passed over that someone got a look and presented it as something actually coming up. But I'm not surprised it was fake.

I also suspected that a lot of the sources for the game press were just each other. Basically a circle of people just talking to each other without knowing who the original was. But because it sounds like everyone knows about it, it gets perceived as "multiple sources", making it seem more valid but in reality those multiple sources don't know themselves

Well now I'm sad. I actually sorta liked the fake invented concept for it, lol.

Hopefully we'll learn about the projects Retro was actually working on during those years.

So… yeah. It’s exactly what we all thought was the case. A fake rumour combined with people seeing Starlink‘s Starfox tie-in content and getting wires crossed.

So the plot twist was that someone sent the Rogers Base logo to IGN AND somebody indeed saw a preview of Star Fox content in Star Link, and told that to someone thinking it was a Star Fox game made by Retro, which made all the outlets post it at the same time lmao.

I even remember back then when Stealth said on his Twitter there was a friend of his that saw Star Fox Grand Prix and it looked amazing (I mean Star Link does look incredible and we now know some source of the outlets indeed mistook Star Link as a Retro Star Fox game, so everything is in place now lol).
Pretty sure the “waddledeeknows” they were talking about is stealth

Back
Top Bottom