• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Did you think Tears of the Kingdom was too big?

Was Tears of the Kingdom too big?

• Total voters
How are we counting 100%? Maybe if you are just counting unlocking Darker Side, but getting every Moon is at least 60 hours. I took 70.
I'm counting 880 Moons (maxing out at 999 takes at most another hour or two), though I also got all costumes. Going by my Switch game time, my two 100% plays (one in 2017, one in 2022) took around 70 hours? Maybe closer to 75?

I think if you add in maxing out Balloon World it'll take you a lot longer, but that's progress that exists across files, so it's almost like it's own game ya know?

No, at least not in the way this thread is asking. I thought the size of every layer and the "content" within each fit their respective purposes. I played it for 100ish hours and I was never bored of it so I wouldn't really change all too much. Thinking back on it and the only issue I had in this regard was the lack of new settlements. If there were like 2-3 new villages, maybe even in the sky or the depths, I'd be a happy camper.

It's too big and filled mostly with meaningless rewards for exploration. Also, it's really annoying that it's impossible to find a whole set of armor without the internet, because parts are scattered across the whole map in random places. Couldn't they at least limit a set to one region? Eveything feels like a chore. I can't imagine how grindy it is to expand batteries. Horse has to be the most useless thing in this game. When you lose it from sight, you either have to backtrack for it or go to a stable. They should have gamified it like in elden ring.

I'm counting 880 Moons (maxing out at 999 takes at most another hour or two), though I also got all costumes. Going by my Switch game time, my two 100% plays (one in 2017, one in 2022) took around 70 hours? Maybe closer to 75?

I think if you add in maxing out Balloon World it'll take you a lot longer, but that's progress that exists across files, so it's almost like it's own game ya know?
HLTB has 100% for Odyssey at 62 hours:

Why am I being pedantic about this?

...TOTK is far more enjoyable to explore and comb over than Odyssey 🏃

HLTB has 100% for Odyssey at 62 hours:

Why am I being pedantic about this?

...TOTK is far more enjoyable to explore and comb over than Odyssey 🏃
If you're grinding up Balloon World I can see it getting close to 60 hours, but all Moons? No way, not for my play.

In the end I can only speak for my experience! And that experience tells me that I played through Odyssey 100% twice and loved it both times whereas TotK is currently on a multi-week break after close to 90 hours, thinking its a great game but a very large and very dense time. Make of that what you will!

Yeah it's way too big. Too big to the point of tedium. I gave up on it after two regions and have no desire to go back. The shrines were tedious, the side quests weren't interesting enough, the two major "dungeons" I did were so disappointing that it felt really frustrating.

When I like a game, I love to have enough content. I really enjoyed tok, but what I felt was kinda lame was the underground, everything looked the same and there wasn't enough for me to keep me interested in it. I loved the sky and normal "earth" segments, but the underground was just artificially stretching the playtime.

I don't think the world in TotK is overwhelming at all, there are some areas that have a lot of meaningful stuff but at the same time there are some areas with very little to do, similar to how it was in BotW. One thing I think they did go too hard on was enemy camps, it feels like there's way too many of them.

However, I do think that TotK is too big in the sense that it doesn't have enough variety. BotW suffered from a lack of enemy variety and TotK went deep to fix that, adding a ton of new enemy types. However, they also massively increased the map with the additions of caves, sky and the underworld so the enemy variety ends up being just a big of an issue as it was in BotW (arguably even higher since I'm pretty sure there are more enemy camps in the map this time). Sure, you could say "you don't really have to battle every enemy you see" and, in fact, I don't, but that doesn't mean it's not disappointing. There's several quests in the game that'd have become absolutely top tier if they had unique enemies (the labyrinths and Lurelin Village being my main examples) and The Depths would be a lot more memorable if the Frox variations weren't the only Depths exclusive enemy. The issue with lack of variety also affects rewards for exploration, just like in BotW you learn pretty quickly that a large percentage of "interesting" landmarks will hold a Korok and likely not much else. Caves and wells are a welcome addition to break this though, but the game still suffers from lack of variety IMO.

Now, despite what I said above I still have fun exploring the overworld, I like doing the signpost activities or helping the occasional Korok, but I just can't shake the feeling of the world being simply too big. I've had this issue on every open world game I've played, I think it's just impossible to create such large games and not make them be repetitive to the point where players simply start ignoring stuff. Looking at the way Starfield markets itself only makes me think "But why?" with the amount of planets vs cities it has.

Nope. If anything, I want the next one to be bigger.

I mean, I do think they could have done more with The Depths, so asking for something bigger may not be wise. But I do want it!

Okay, completionists, here's a thought.

In Link's Awakening (GB)/DX, when you've collected enough secret shells to get the Koholint Sword, the remaining ones disappear.

What if that happened with Koroks? Once you get the last one you need for the last stash expansion, the rest disappear. The remaining lithograms, block sculptures etc would also have to disappear. You go see Hestu and after doing his dance once last time, he gives you the his gift (best reward ever).

Would that be more satisfying?

Okay, completionists, here's a thought.

In Link's Awakening (GB)/DX, when you've collected enough secret shells to get the Koholint Sword, the remaining ones disappear.

What if that happened with Koroks? Once you get the last one you need for the last stash expansion, the rest disappear. The remaining lithograms, block sculptures etc would also have to disappear. You go see Hestu and after doing his dance once last time, he gives you the his gift (best reward ever).

Would that be more satisfying?
I'm not a completionist but the ideal scenario would be to not tie storage expansion to Koroks imo. I also don't think I'd mind if they all disappeared as you need 440 for all the weapon expansions in BOTW and at that point, I'd probably be completely Koroked out.

I don't think the amount of unique assets was in line with the world size. The Depths are Hyrule sized but only have a single biome and mainly contains enemy camps. Caves all look and feel very similar. Both of these new elements felt like they were designed by spreadsheet - once you've seen a little, you've seen it all.

Coming from BotW, where the relationship between world size and things to do/see felt much more deliberate, this is a step back to me. TotK definitely seems like they bit off more than they could chew.

I wouldn't mind a new Hyrule to be sized similarly - or even a bit smaller! - than BotW's. Definitely more manageable for devs and players alike.

Finally, tiny hot take: you mention the high quality of quests and shrines. I feel like, if Ultrahand doesn't click with you, this doesn't ring true as much. So much of this game is "go build some digital Lego!", and I much prefer doing that with actual Lego ;).

(Disclaimer: As someone who's lived and breathed BotW since before its release, I'm very happy for all the folks that dig TotK & wish I was one of you!)

I don't think the amount of unique assets was in line with the world size. The Depths are Hyrule sized but only have a single biome and mainly contains enemy camps. Caves all look and feel very similar. Both of these new elements felt like they were designed by spreadsheet - once you've seen a little, you've seen it all.
I just don’t know how anyone could sincerely believe this - I was discovering new stuff in the caves 100 hours in. The caves are easily one of the strongest points in this game and they look quite different depending on the biome.

I just don’t know how anyone could sincerely believe this - I was discovering new stuff in the caves 100 hours in. The caves are easily one of the strongest points in this game and they look quite different depending on the biome.
Yeah the caves are my favorite addition

The problem wasn't that it's too big, the problem is that it too samey to BotW and doesn't offer enough to do all the other areas content. Great ideas, just not the best execution.

No, it isn't too big. I pretty soon got a feel for the size, and decided that I will space out my gameplay of the game during a loooong period of time. Will take quite a few months more before I decide to finish Ganon.

Cave slander is stupid and wrong. They’re the single best addition to the game.

Yeah, I complained about lack of variety earlier but caves are the part of the game that most delivers on variety by far:
  • Different regions have different types of caves. Easy examples are the Goron caves mostly focusing on lava and many of the desert caves being ruins.
  • They're found in all kinds of places, from literally caves on mountain sides, caves behind waterfalls, caves that have to entered by sea and more.
  • Many caves hide unique rewards, like shrines, unique equipment, quests or simply neat stuff (like that one cave with a mushroom room or the one cave that's insanely long).
IMO caves the best executed part of the game by far and pretty much make exploration worthwhile. Only criticism I'd have against caves is that a few are mostly "find Bubbulfrog and leave" but honestly I'd say those are a very small amount of the caves in the game. I guess there could've also been more caves in the sky, but that's more of a failing on the sky design than on the cave concept itself.

It's too big and filled mostly with meaningless rewards for exploration. Also, it's really annoying that it's impossible to find a whole set of armor without the internet, because parts are scattered across the whole map in random places. Couldn't they at least limit a set to one region? Eveything feels like a chore. I can't imagine how grindy it is to expand batteries. Horse has to be the most useless thing in this game. When you lose it from sight, you either have to backtrack for it or go to a stable. They should have gamified it like in elden ring.

These are also my gripes, almost feel like no one else has them since the game is being praised to heaven and back. Horses still being useless is such a blaring oversight. It just doesn't have any QoL improvements over BoTW. I also felt like I had to spend time in menu's in almost every big battle. Chore is a good way to describe it. Feels like the game is stretched out way too much just so it's huge game.

And I'm not expecting any improvements for the next Zelda on these points because most people seem to like it the way it is.

EDIT: deleted comment. Don't feel like defending myself against insults. Y'all have fun.

Last edited:
Depends on the caves. I also found the caves to be very similar to each other, but evidently I never got around to exploring the worthwhile ones. Most of the ones I found were in central Hyrule or Faron before I put the game down, and I didn’t find much variety there. But apparently there are more unique caves in areas I didn’t explore as much, which is neat.

Depends on the caves. I also found the caves to be very similar to each other, but evidently I never got around to exploring the worthwhile ones. Most of the ones I found were in central Hyrule or Faron before I put the game down, and I didn’t find much variety there. But apparently there are more unique caves in areas I didn’t explore as much, which is neat.
Not sure why but in my playthrough it also took me some time to find more unique caves. But I think there's a lot of them.
Imo caves, wells, and other underground passages between surface and depths are my favorite additions to the game(combined with ascend). I also like how they aren't formulaic(some times a well is connected to a cave and also the opposite.

Misko caves were also great. It's pity that I didn't care about the rewards as I don't care about cosmetics.

The only thing I dislike is the bullfrog collection because it's created to trigger completionist feelings. I'd be happier that after a number of collected bubbulfrog they all disappear so you wouldn't need a cave check icon and the exploration would be more organic.

Last edited:
Not sure why but in my playthrough it also took me some time to find more unique caves. But I think there's a lot of them.
Imo caves, wells, and other underground passages between surface and depths are my favorite additions to the game(combined with ascend).

Misko caves were also great. It's pity that I didn't care about the rewards as I don't care about cosmetics.
I left the game thinking caves were too similar to each other in most cases. Outliers there are, and, granted, I only managed to explore Hebra, Tabanta, Gerudo, Faron and southern Necluda (?), but the norm is one where you find the same terrain and the same shrubs.

That only goes for looks, though. For instance, shrine caves are some of the best things in the game imo

However, I found most rewards to be disappointing. You arrive to the big shrine with the treasure chest inside, you open it and... "oh, another legacy outfit, Y I P E E".

I left the game thinking caves were too similar to each other in most cases. Outliers there are, and, granted, I only managed to explore Hebra, Tabanta, Gerudo, Faron and southern Necluda (?), but the norm is one where you find the same terrain and the same shrubs.

That only goes for looks, though. For instance, shrine caves are some of the best things in the game imo

However, I found most rewards to be disappointing. You arrive to the big shrine with the treasure chest inside, you open it and... "oh, another legacy outfit, Y I P E E".
Don't remember having problems with the same terrain. It varies depending on where you are. At least I remember some ice caves and death mountains caves being different. Not a cave expert though, but it does a good job on what my imagination expected from a cave. Really agree about the rewards and shrine. Those blessing shrines sucks really hard. Loading screen, cutscene just to receive a piece of heart. Just give me the fucking piece of heart in a chest on floor and I'd be much happier.

Personally I'd prefer them to reduce the total number and focus on the unique ones. And be in peace that some people might not find them. I really dislike this feeling of reaching a place a be sure that there's a cave in some place. I prefer when I'm surprised by it.

Last edited:
However, I found most rewards to be disappointing.

That's the core design of both BotW and TotK, isn't it? The important rewards (such as the ones from Robbie) are signaled pretty loud and clear in both games, while the player discovers pretty early on that the exploration itself is the core reward for exploring stuff.

I think if they combined the concepts of the depths and caves, it could have been something a bit more interesting and digestible. Just like, making the caves way bigger, super dark like the depths, sometimes interconnected, etc. Almost like a secret underground system of tunnels connecting Hyrule as opposed to an extra giant map mostly filled with nothing.

I think it is too big to replicate for Open-Air 3, that's for sure. I hope EPD doesn't feel the need to 1-up TOTK in size.

Caves were alright, not incredible, but it was fun to find goat chad and scour areas for cave entries and the like. Got more fun when I had Goron bro because breaking rocks/ore is a bit tedious. They had more novelty than the depths overall. To be faiiiir, I didn't actively dislike my time in any of the locations, just without more new biomes/enemies/interesting bespoke locations It felt like I was going through the motions a lot. (If I had started with auto-built/found Koga right away I feel like I would have had more motivation to explore the depths before dungeon 1/2, its kind of baffling that it is optional). I genuinely missed the shrines when exploring the depths, which is wild, because I don't love shrines structurally, but I really appreciate the extra little bit of bespoke content they litter throughout the game. The depths also don't really offer enough "exit" locations I feel like there was only 1 per map region, so exploration feels very gated off from the rest of the game, which is a shame because it would have helped me avoid the old overworld a bit more.

Caves were alright, not incredible, but it was fun to find goat chad and scour areas for cave entries and the like. Got more fun when I had Goron bro because breaking rocks/ore is a bit tedious. They had more novelty than the depths overall. To be faiiiir, I didn't actively dislike my time in any of the locations, just without more new biomes/enemies/interesting bespoke locations It felt like I was going through the motions a lot. (If I had started with auto-built/found Koga right away I feel like I would have had more motivation to explore the depths before dungeon 1/2, its kind of baffling that it is optional). I genuinely missed the shrines when exploring the depths, which is wild, because I don't love shrines structurally, but I really appreciate the extra little bit of bespoke content they litter throughout the game. The depths also don't really offer enough "exit" locations I feel like there was only 1 per map region, so exploration feels very gated off from the rest of the game, which is a shame because it would have helped me avoid the old overworld a bit more.

What are these exit locations you're talking about? It's just to teleport between lightroots/shrines/towers/labs/medallions when needed, isn't it?

I'm not sure.

I definitely think the game isn't focused enough, though.

It's possible that one way of making the game more focused would have been shrinking the world down a bit but I don't believe t's the only way they could have done that.

What are these exit locations you're talking about? It's just to teleport between lightroots/shrines/towers/labs/medallions when needed, isn't it?

The exit columns allow you ascend out of the depths. They are apparently the only way to ascend out of the depths as I could never find a spot on the ceiling that worked. You'd have used one to first get into the Korok Forest.

The placement of the exit columns is sporadic and can mean lots of backtracking. The worst thing though is that there aren't any near Central Hyrule Depths where you are first led so the game doesn't teach you there is a proper way out (dragons don't travel to Central Hyrule either) until you've probably already given up in frustration and warped out at least once.

It is by far and away my biggest disappointment with the game how unfriendly it is to a warpless run and a big part of what soured me on the depths from the getgo.

The exit columns allow you ascend out of the depths. They are apparently the only way to ascend out of the depths as I could never find a spot on the ceiling that worked. You'd have used one to first get into the Korok Forest.

The placement of the exit columns is sporadic and can mean lots of backtracking. The worst thing though is that there aren't any near Central Hyrule Depths where you are first led so the game doesn't teach you there is a proper way out (dragons don't travel to Central Hyrule either) until you've probably already given up in frustration and warped out at least once.

It is by far and away my biggest disappointment with the game how unfriendly it is to a warpless run and a big part of what soured me on the depths from the getgo.
Well, if you want to put artificial restrictions on your run that aren't part of the initial game design (no-warp run, no-cooking run, no-additionalheart run, etc), you have to accept that challenge. In theory at least, I think you could also exit upwards through the chasms (using zonai tools that don't time out, such as fans).

Well, if you want to put artificial restrictions on your run that aren't part of the initial game design (no-warp run, no-cooking run, no-additionalheart run, etc), you have to accept that challenge. In theory at least, I think you could also exit upwards through the chasms (using zonai tools that don't time out, such as fans).
Fair, but at the same time it does say something about the difference in how the two games are designed, and you are allowed to prefer one style over the other in that case. Like, I would not personally do a first time no warp run, but the contiguity of Breath of the Wild's map was a massive part in how it grounded you in it as a real space, and why it was so easy to navigate that whole map by sight alone, without the HUD. Tears of the Kingdom does forego that style of design. It goes for something else, and it's as amazing at it as BOTW was at what it tried, but one can still just... prefer the BOTW style.

It’s not the really the size of the game so much as the density of points of interest that stood out to me. TotK at times felt like a Skyrimification of BotW with how it couldn’t stop pointing things in your face to interact with. It’s not worse per se, but I think I prefer the more contemplative pace of BotW over the content machine gun of TotK.

Last edited:
I find the complaints about too much content to be baffling.

It's all there for you to choose to experience whether you want to experience it or not

and it's all pretty great.

Let the people who want to enjoy more content enjoy it and you can b line the main quest if you want.

I can't wait for the next half dozen mainline Zelda's to be giant, expansive, multilayered and deep open-worlds brimming with content.

Nothing is going to change that with these sales. The people have voted with their wallets.

it-is-what-it-is-shrug.gif

Last edited:
Personally, the size of the game stressed me out. I know it's up to me to choose what I'll experience, so I know the pressure I felt to see as much as I did was self-produced. The end result, though, was feeling overwhelmed at times. I was in disbelief when I realized that not only were the Depths a thing I didn't know about before playing but that they were also the size of Hyrule. And of course, the Depths aren't the only area new in TOTK compared to BOTW.

I think my ideal is a 30-hour Zelda game. I'm imagining something like if TOTK could get the equivalent of what Torna was to XBC2. However, I know that most people would not be happy with a smaller Zelda game, and confusingly, I love having a huge world to explore. My ideal world size for the next Zelda game would perhaps be TOTK without the sky and Depths, and I suppose I'd just deal with playing for far longer than 30 hours.

I think if they combined the concepts of the depths and caves, it could have been something a bit more interesting and digestible. Just like, making the caves way bigger, super dark like the depths, sometimes interconnected, etc. Almost like a secret underground system of tunnels connecting Hyrule as opposed to an extra giant map mostly filled with nothing.
Yeah, that cave on the great sky island was pretty much the only none depths area where you had to light it up. Which was disappointing

Yeah, that cave on the great sky island was pretty much the only none depths area where you had to light it up. Which was disappointing
FWIW, there's at least one cave on ground level where the cave theme is total darkness.

I agree that this would have probably been better design-wise but also like… really fucking hard to make. Since everything has to scale 1:1, even the few caves that do enter somewhere then pop out at another place were mind blowing to me. Just completely recontextualized the areas. Like “oh here’s this extremely curated random cave that has an intricately designed labyrinthe layout with puzzles, bosses, branching paths, unique loot that we just… were able to plop into the world with an exit on multiple areas of the overworld map scaled 1:1 with no loading screens. Oh and you can ascend out of any point you want” was probably the most exciting part of totk‘s design to me, and the potential for 3D dungeon design going forward is MASSIVE given that they’ve actually started to overcome that design hurdle. It was one area where BotW was lacking to me. And probably the biggest “it’s hard to go back to BotW” factor in TOTK for me.

That, combined with how Tears’ dungeons were integrated into the overworld with zero loading screens (especially the fire temple given how open it is), is probably the most exciting part of the game for me. Them making a whole new map with this design in mind is like….really exciting for 3D game design in general. It’s something that doesn’t seem that crazy on the surface, but that they could go really in depth with in the future. Just seamlessly weaving between the open world and linear challenges, with no loading screens, everything making sense in a 3D space, feeling very natural in a way BotW, Odyssey, and even TOTK had yet to achieve. It felt like a massive stepping stone. I’m picturing gargantuan dungeons with like a ton of different entrances from the overworld and multiple possible natural approaches. Hyrule Castle BotW, but even more of them, more integrated, and more puzzle-like. It seems like that could be what they’re building toward, and I understand if they’re not quite there yet and find the depths a good compromise in terms of the variety they provide to Tears’ gameplay loop, even if I think more environmental variety in them could’ve gone a long way.

That being said, I’m also quite drunk typing this as I go to bed, so I hope it makes sense in the morning lol.

Last edited:
205 hours in and yet to finish, this game is as big as 3 normal open world games, quality is on another planet btw.
I don't have rush for a new DLC, but
Kass
I'm ok for this DLC next year with the Hyrule Warriors: The imprisoning wars game.
And i hope that the next Zelda is smaller in scale, i could have a son in 7 year lol and i'll be frustrated if i can't finish the game 100%

Last edited:
I recently argued that DLC is not needed, but I've come back from that. I'd love to explore more Sky Islands, and use additional abilities like Descent or use Ultrahand to steal weapons out of enemies' hands.

Too small, honestly. What's the point of a range of quests if they all learn you exactly the same, main plot critical, lore?

Should've had more strands of backstory beyond just the sages. Give me the history of the Zonai, and what happened to everyone except the two we meet, and why the depths were abandoned, and why there's sky islands. Make all those answers worth discovering, and found through different questlines

Instead we got dungeons, ring ruins, geoglyphs and island tablets all telling the same exact story. This massive kingdom, and it's 10000 year history, contains ONLY ONE story? Makes the world feel narratively small in a way BotW didn't.
Wasn't there a quest where you decipher things about the sky islands and some back story on the past with Rauru and Sonia and mineru?

I don’t think it’s too big, but it absolutely is enormous, likely the largest single-player game I’ve ever played.

I’m 95 hours in and have only completed 2 dungeons. At this point in BotW, I had finished the main quest (though I did end up clocking 180+ hours in total).

It’s just such an incredible, vast, sometimes overwhelming experience. I can’t begin to imagine what is next for this series.

Agreed completely. Underground feels like a ton of wasted potential, and is just a big open area for the sake of adding more landmass.

The caves are by far more interesting and fun to explore than the depths. The caves create cool structured challenges into the open world itself, whereas the depths are just a much less content rich version of the overworld.

And it's funny how they marketed the game solely on exploring the sky, but it's such a tiny portion of the game. And the surprise of the underground wears off very quickly when you realize you've seen just about everything in the first few hours.

I still very much enjoyed the game, but I think they should have put the effort into creating a new map instead. I would have vastly preferred if the game somehow took place exclusively in the sky and underground, if that meant seeing those areas fleshed out. Revisiting the overworld had some cool moments, but it was absolutely not worth having so much of the new areas feel underbaked.
It would've taken them longer if they had made a new map. I don't want to wait 10+ years for a new Zelda game.

It would've taken them longer if they had made a new map. I don't want to wait 10+ years for a new Zelda game.

Do you really think we're only going to see another Zelda in 10 years? Or that they're going to use the same map again?

It's creating the content that fills the world that takes the most time: Quest scenarios, characters interactions, puzzles, gameplay systems, etc.

Certainly, reusing the map made things easier in some ways, but it can be just as challenging figuring out how to fit all this new stuff in the same world and try to make it feel fresh and new.

Back
Top Bottom