• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Did you, at any point, own a Wii U?

Did you, at any point, own a Wii U?

• Total voters
Yes and I still have all my games for it. Recently I looked at my activity log on it and it goes dead after Christmas 2012 till Lego City then Pikmin 3 lol, the droughts were real... And the activity log goes 100% dead forever after March 2017 of course.

And despite all the droughts I was a vehement online defender of the thing on GameFAQs message boards back in that era... Sometimes I look at my posts there and laugh at myself :ROFLMAO:

Got mine at launch and still have it hooked up minus the HDMI cord now. I finished my last Virtual Console game on it back in December (Donkey Kong 64 with my first ever 101% run) so it’s really only hooked up for any replays at this point on the Game Pad. One of my favorite consoles with so many awesome games on it. I’m glad the vast majority of the big games are off it (and darn I hope we get the last few), but I’ll still miss stuff like actually owning retro games and the activity log.

I had one, but barely used it outside of playing the odd game of Mario Kart in bed. It was more that I just didn’t really have time for a home console between a young family and work though.

Day 1 to present day. Still one of the greatest systems of all time really. Bested now by the Switch, but at the time, it was far better than was ever given credit.

Managed to grab a premium model at 250€ a few months after launch. The worst Nintendo console ever but I have great memories about playing smash, Nintendo land, tank tank tank and Mario kart with my wife and friends. I love that little console.

I got mine when 3D World came out. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t end up using it all that much.

I have a small backlog for Wii U, and my console is still hooked up, but I haven’t played it in a good long while. Maybe a few years? I really should knock out the few games I’ve got for it because I’m worried that the console is going to kick the bucket any day now.

I still use mine from time to time for Nintendo Land and I'm currently re-playing Twilight Princess with my kids. The gamepad rumble motor is on its last leg though. I supposed I'm way past the time to get a replacement now.

Yes, that era of Nintendo was certainly carried by the 3DS, I always wished I could play 3DS games on the TV. Then the Switch came with the perfect solution.

Still do, it's the Wind Waker limited. I'm probably never selling it. Since it doesn't need a TV I have it away from the rest of the consoles, plugged in ready to pick up the gamepad and play.

Used to, but sold it. Don't really regret it, outside of not being able to play WW and TP HD anymore.

Never had one, and at this point likely never will. I wasn't impressed when it first launched and the vast majority of games on it I wanted are on Switch as well, which is what I feel suits my desires for what a gaming device is than any stationary system at this point in time.

I did, but sold it on.

Not that I didn't like it, but Switch kinda made it utterly redundant for me. By that time, I had ceased any kind of collector tendencies.

Still do and it's plugged and working fine!
It's a bit less useful now most of the games I have on it have been rereleased on Switch, but I still want to fully replay Xenoblade X now that I'm a grownup with a couch and a big TV!

Bought one in December 2013 on the cheap and had some good times with it despite the software droughts. I still have it, but the gamepad broke in 2018 and I've not been able to replace it yet.

I got my Wii U on December 2012 and while I barely used it in all honesty, it was also because of other circumstances where I largely drifted away from console gaming, instead playing games on PC or 3DS. As such, I never felt the droughts as hard. But I was relatively not passionate about console gaming anymore until Breath of the Wild came out, but I couldn't afford a Switch at the time so I actually played it on Wii U and got me super back into console gaming as a whole, not just Nintendo.

During that time though, I still had a great time with it. 3D World kicked ass. Splatoon 1 blew me away. Mario Maker 1 was real cool. Xenoblade X is incredible (albeit it feels like Disc 1 of a story with no follow-up). I dipped in and out, but every time I did, it was good fun.

Funnily enough, the Wii U has been greatly enhanced by homebrew after the fact, where you can natively play GameCube games on it, AND it has analog out so you can still use it on a CRT. I use it more than ever because of that.

Never had one. I remember in 2012 or 2013, my brother and I were in high school and we briefly talked about splitting the cost to get a Wii U in our house. We were both nintendo-only gamers at the time, so it seemed like the thing to do.

We never went through with it in the end, and that was probably for the best. I ended up going through a few years where I didn't play games very often, and that didn't change until I got a 3DS in 2015 or 2016.

No. I had NES, SNES, N64, GCN, GB, GBC, GBA…but the DS and Wii were not what I wanted out of gaming at the time, so I got out of Nintendo for a while. The Switch (and to a lesser extent, 3DS) brought me all the way back in.

Yeah, I got its deluxe model around its launch alongside NSMBU and Black Ops 2. I wound up mostly playing SM3DW, Smash, SMM, and VC games like Earthbound on it, with nothing else really catching my eye and me using my 3DS a lot more. I did get WWHD, Pikmin 3, and Xenoblade X as well, but barely played any of them.

I still have it in my parents’ house, but I stopped using it a lot past 2016 and pretty much haven’t touched it at all since 2017. I thought about hacking it about a year ago, but I realized there wasn’t really much reason for me to so I didn’t bother.

I did/do, but I think I only have two games on it: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (and I now have Encore on Switch) and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Still hoping for X to release on the Switch.

I didn't get one at launch but picked it up at the end of 2014 with SM3DW and Nintendo Land for $250, which was a rare discount. Plus at that time, Mario Kart 8 and Wind Waker HD were out and the next Zelda was coming soon!

While it didn't have tons of games, the mainline Nintendo games were good and off-TV play gave me a way to actually enjoy and finish them.

I mostly used it to play Wii and VC games though. I went back and finished Metroid Prime Trilogy and Galaxy 2 (both $10 downloads) and some GBA stuff. I still keep it connected since it provides access to a lot of the pre-Switch catalog.

Still own one, haven't turned it on in ages so it's probably dead... and my copy of Xenoblade X is still inside the console so fuck me i guess

Own it one just for SSB, WWHD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Great console and homebrew machine nowadays, but I sold it even before my first 3DS when the Switch was about to come out.

i love the wii u

haters and cowards are missing out

Bought mine day 1 at Gamestop. The games that were few and far between, but the ones that came out were great.

Yes but that entire generation I mostly stop playing games so I mainly used the Gamepad as a remote for the tv.

I still have it but I need a new charger for the gamepad. So who knows if it still works.

Back
Top Bottom