• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Did you, at any point, own a Wii U?

Did you, at any point, own a Wii U?

• Total voters
Got one a few months after launch.

Loved Zombi U. Got Darksiders II pretty quickly because THQ cratered. I had my fun with the system.

Did own one for a while, but sold it. I was able to use my brother’s WiiU as well, so there was no need to keep my own for the few games I wanted to play on it. Stuck with 3DS, Vita, and PS4 at that time instead.

Proud Wii U owner since 2013. Bought for Sonic Lost World, Smash4 and Super Mario 3D World; Never ever did I regret, it was the first time I bought a console with my own hard earned money and I have incredible memories of every game I played on it.

Probably my second favorite Nintendo system behind the SNES.

And is still here hooked on my setup, kicking, unmodded.

Had it since the first week (ordered online so I think it arrived a day or two after retail launch) and still using it occasionally.

It's still hooked up in the living room. Mostly for Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pushmo World (need to get back to that one tbh)

I didn't get it at launch, but got it from a college friend in 2013. First game I played on it was Super Metroid lol.

Nope. I skipped on it for some reason and I'm glad I did, seeing how it went.

Yep, since just before Rayman Legends came out. That was the perfect time to get it because WWHD, 3DW and Tropical Freeze were all about to arrive, and we could catch up on Nintendo Land, NSMBU and Pikmin 3 in the meantime.

yes, have it displayed on my little table thingy

rip in peace my 2nd favorite Nintendo home console

I still have my launch Wii U.

I even pre-ordered.

I got in line outside Best Buy. A friend/former coworker told me Toys R Us had a Buy One Get One half price sale (yes, at launch) so I left. When I came back, I told my former coworker I got New Super Mario Bros. U and ZombiU.

A guy in line tried to snitch on me for butting in line. The Best Buy employee had to interrogate me in front of everyone. I told him I had a pre-order and showed him my receipt. I wanted to palm that guy’s face and push it away.

IMG-1914.gif

I still have mine but the gamepad’s broken. Both sticks have awful drift and my younger brother broke the screen by smashing it with the stylus.

I could buy a new gamepad but they’re so expensive I might as well buy a new Wii U.

Still own it. Got it in 2014. GamePad was my favorite way to play VC games for a time.

No, I was out of the gaming loop mostly that gen. Didn't have a PS3 or 360. Had a 3DS but wasn't as fond of it as the DS, though I did enjoy some games.

A not proud owner of the wiiu since day 1, the console itself is a piece of junk, it has some pretty great games but I would have preferred to have all those game on the switch. It just feels obsolete right now and with my gamepad drifting some of it’s games are basically unplayable.

It was my first console back in gaming. I hated the thing. The only consolation is that its apart of a butterfly effect that led me to my partner.

I want to say I bought the Splatoon bundle back in 2015ish because I finally wanted to get into Smash and Mario Kart. I didn't think I would get into Splatoon, but it ended being the only WiiU game I played a ton of. I tried to sell it at one point, but I only ever got offers from sweaty Smash Bros. gamers asking if they could just buy the GameCube controller adapter lmao

The disc drive eventually stopped reading anything, so I ended up just selling all the games and the Pro Controller I also bought for it. I still have it in the original box but I only ever take it out once in a blue moon.

Seriously though I am such a stan for the WiiU it's ridiculous. From the library to the controller to the ability of offload maps and inventory and such onto a second screen, it was like this system was made just for me.

Which was humbling when it massively failed.

But yeah, I bought mine around the time Wind Waker HD came out, in anticipation for the game that would eventually be Breath of the Wild. Even when BotW came out I went and stood in line at the midnight release and was the only person there who was buying BotW for WiiU instead of BotW and a Switch. The clerk was even confused. But I loved it, still love it, still have it out on display with my NES, SNES, Genesis, and Dreamcast.

Bought a Zelda one off ebay that came with a bunch of games sometime around 2014/2015 when I got my first real job. I had kinda been in a gaming slump for a few years (save for Pokemon) but Smash 4 and the rest of the library the WiiU had built up ended up pulling me back in a big way

Technically still have it in a closet somewhere, but it hasn't worked for a few years now (I boxed it up a bit after the Switch came out, then when I went to set it up again at the start of the pandemic it just wouldn't turn on)

I bought a Wii U for Pikmin 3, which I thought was just okay, and then I sold it after it seemed like the system was dead. I bought another one around the time of Smash Bros. and then sold it when I realized the 3DS version was just as good. I bought a third Wii U when I visited my brother and discovered that Splatoon ruled and then sold it when I moved to Colorado because the system was definitively dead at that point (I moved after BOTW).

I was on the fence about it over the whole launch year, but then I listened to that sequence of episodes of the SuperBestFriendcast when they hyped up The Wonderful 101 and I just could not ignore it. I actually bought the game immediately to show my support because of how much it was flying under the radar, and then just held on to it until Christmas when we got that Super Luigi U bundle of the system.

It's still plugged in, I'll occasionally replay WWHD and Kirby Rainbow Curse, or hop back into MH3U at least until online services shut down. Praying those hackers can fill the gap and get all the online games running somehow soon enough.

Yep! I got it September 2015 for Pokken. Decent memories with it for about a year, until my dog jumped on my Gamepad while I was using it and cracked the screen. Never got a replacement Gamepad so I haven't touched it since.

Got a Wii U on launch day, and I was really disappointed that it took me three days before I could get the firmware updated to the point where I could actually play with it. I still can't believe that gamepad came from the same company that gave us the sleek and modern Wii design, and I'm still holding out hope for a proper port of Nintendo Land someday -- my kids and I spent way too much time playing Metroid Blast and Mario Chase.

Overall it was a decent system, but IMO it failed because the "asymmetric local multiplayer" idea just doesn't jive with Western audiences.

Yep. I still remember the day I got mine, alongside New Super Mario Bros. U, Assassin's Creed III, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Nintendo Land, and one more game that's slipping my mind right now.

I'll be honest, I used to think of myself as a Nintendo fanboy but right when that thing was first showcased at e3 2011, I could just sense that something was wrong. Sure the name was/is dumb but it spoke of a bigger issue of it having a major identity crisis, wanting both the Wii crowd and the more hardcore audience. As such, I kept my distance from it and never bought it. Made me reevaluate my self esteem by realizing that "wow I'm not such a dumb fanboy after all".

But also please bring Xenoblade X to switch god dammit.

Yeah, I got one from a sibling when they moved on to the Switch. I mostly used it for Game & Wario, as all the other exclusives were ported to Switch, but now it merely sits in a box.

Yes, I love the system and its library. I should use it again because it's the only way I get to play Xenoblade X nowadays and that's a damn shame.

got one on launch. its undeniably got a weak library numbers wise, but a lot of the games it does have, that were exclusive to it at the time, were pretty stellar. stuff like tropical freeze, 3d world, wonderful 101... truly transcendent stuff.

i probably wouldve been bummed if it was all i had for the duration of its life time, but as a companion to a pc (and a 3ds and vita) it at least had really interesting exclusive titles.

This is interesting because this gives concrete data to something we already knew: we are a forum of fairly hardcore Nintendo fans.

I would be really curious to see a survey which included this question, but also a whole bunch about specific games you like, or series you'd be excited to return, etc. The potential correlations between, say, people who ever owned a Wii U and people who care about (for example) Star Fox would be really interesting to get hard data on.

It currently sits underneath my TV next to a PS4. They share a HDMI switch. I should note that I only got the PS4 back in 2023, as a friend decided to gift me it as a super belated birthday present after they got a PS5; from 2014 to 2017, the Wii U was my home console of choice. Sounds a bit dire, I suppose, but I also had my 3DS (picked it up in 2013) and Steam library.

I begrudgingly bought it the weekend Bayonetta 2 came out. I knew this thing was a dud but it wasn't that expensive and I was like "well I guess I can play Mario and Zelda on it." TMS, having Bayo 1 on it, XCX, Mario Maker, Hyrule Warriors, and W101 were the main things that kept it hooked up. It's not like I didn't also have and enjoy 3D World and DK and the Zelda remakes and all that jazz either. I did end up liking it okay enough at the end of the day, but I basically don't use it since everything has been ported elsewhere with the exception of XCX, and I'm not gonna replay that probably. I still have it in my closet though, I don't really get rid of official hardware these days.

Yes I had. A console 10x better than GCN, but too weak for competing against the new generation and the new gimmick is not that good.

had one since WWHD, loved the response time on the gamepad screen (couldn't have managed DKCTF without it) and it's where I first played BotW

don't expect to ever use it again

Ha, such a bunch of losers, owning a Wii u!
(... Looks embarrassed to that suspicious box in the drawer...)

No but serious, nut surprised. I hab my fun with it (smash 4, mk8, Pikmin 3, bayonetta 1/2...) but can't sai for sure that it was worth it instead of a PS4.

Threw out my Wii U and all my childhood games around 6 years ago, still beat myself up over that

If we decided, on a whim, that the poll results are reflective of the general gaming populace, the Wii U was a phenomenon of strong sales.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom