• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Diablo IV | Fresh Hell

Patch notes are up. As a Rogue that uses CQC, Yay. The NM dungeon exp buffs and the Helltide Boss rewards were solely needed. I might play a Hakan Rapid Fire build for the season after Arrow Rain buffs: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes
Are these all buffs? At least looking at Rogue and Sorcerer it's nothing but positives. Doesn't look like anything too big, though, fairly small-ish adjustments.

I hope they go a bit easier on the buff train this time around, though. Diablo 3 seasons got pretty old when every single season was just "oh we buffed some of the worst stuff so now it's overtuned and the new flavor of the month for endgame". Ideally they get the classes fairly balanced out and then just, y'know, mostly leave them alone.

Are these all buffs? At least looking at Rogue and Sorcerer it's nothing but positives. Doesn't look like anything too big, though, fairly small-ish adjustments.

I hope they go a bit easier on the buff train this time around, though. Diablo 3 seasons got pretty old when every single season was just "oh we buffed some of the worst stuff so now it's overtuned and the new flavor of the month for endgame". Ideally they get the classes fairly balanced out and then just, y'know, mostly leave them alone.

Yes. All buffs. I am not 100% sure but i beleieve they only do small or important buffs for now. When the season starts we may see bigger buffs and/or nerfs.

And yea, at least for Necromancer, I saw more builds get a bit more viable. I felt Necro only had 1-2 solid builds while other classes like Rogue felt like it had 10 good builds. For Rogue the by far weakest Ultimate got buffed which is good. So from those two perspectives, the devs are doing a decent job...at least so far.

From what i am hearing ppl love the NM dungeon exp which is nice but i think more needs to be done, esp with some of the negative modifiers being so detrimental ina run. Endgamewise i only find Helltides to be fun and not annoying to grind. Of course Seasons could change this.

Alright! My housekeeping definitely helped me get back into the swing of things. Now I have the quest for the Capstone Dungeon to unlock World Tier III. I don’t have all the potions unlocked yet so I will probably stick with side quests for a while, but anything in particular that’s good to know going in?

So, has anyone played the local co-op? My wife and I had a grand time with 3, and I wondered if this might be equally interesting. I just haven’t heard much!

Managed the capstone in one try! The boss was pretty tricky. Not sure I’m quite ready for Nightmare yet, might need to shore up my gear a little more first.

So, has anyone played the local co-op? My wife and I had a grand time with 3, and I wondered if this might be equally interesting. I just haven’t heard much!

I have been wondering the same thing, for the same reason!

Managed the capstone in one try! The boss was pretty tricky. Not sure I’m quite ready for Nightmare yet, might need to shore up my gear a little more first.

I have been wondering the same thing, for the same reason!

You probably can do the first early nightmares and it doesn't hurt to at least try as it gives you Glyphs which is one of the best ways to power up at this point.

Been slowly working my way through the campaign since finishing up TotK. I have to say I'm really impressed with the narrative, writing, cutscenes, etc. I wasn't sure what to expect in that regard, other than hoping that it was better than D3, but through the first 2 acts it feels like they knocked it out of the park. A lot of the flavor writing and side quests are really good too. Big turnaround after the letdowns with Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2.

Season looks interesting. Surprised at no higher WT though. See yall in 2 weeks!

Just briefly looking through the patch notes. They are probably going to make a lot of people angry. Or more angry, whichever.

Yup already seeing it. But tbf, from what I have seen when I was playing Diablo 3, every Patch Note that has nerfs makes people angry.

Just bought this game for Xbox One if anyone wants to party up. I am very early on right now.

My First Impression thought on changes to Rouge (the only class I play)

Grasp of Shadow on paper is a good Unique if the Shadow behaved more consistently and benefitted from your aspects. But since it doesn't its a really bad equip. As it currently stands, even with the buff it got, it is very easy to make a better glove than Grasp of Shadow; same can be said for Skyhunter changes. Overall Rogues Uniques tend to be lackluster and I am surprised they didn't get more.

New Unique Bow. Eaglehorn (Unique Bow): Penetrating Shot has a 30-80% chance to fire an arrow that bounces off walls and scenery. Hitting enemies from behind with Penetrating Shot will make them Vulnerable for 3 seconds. While its a bow, Penetrating Shot is the best skill for distance and it can still use its Trickshot Aspect. This actually can end up being a strong NM dungeon pushing build.

Bow vs Xbow. As emphasized above, bows are weaker than xbows. They nerfed xbows vulenerable damage to try to balance this. The problem is outside of a few builds (i.e. Penetrating shot and MAYBE Rapidfire), its uncommon for Rogue to be in distance, so its usually would you rather have no damage bonus (bow) vs some vulnerable damage (xbow). Perhaps they are trying to make players play Rapidfire at ranged more due to the vulnerable damage nerfs. So on paper I would say the balance failed; however, its possible Rouges may end up using Pierce/RF with Bow and everything else with xbow which isn't that bad I guess.

Death Trap and Preparation got nice cooldown buffs but considering the worldwide cooldown nerfs on gear, I suspect these changes is just to maintain their current performance.

Pestilent Points (Offensive Aspect): Every third cast of Puncture is Poison Imbued with 100-150% of normal potency. A bit surprised by this as Puncture is already a strong Basic Skill and now its even better granted you have to use an ability slot for it. This is great in Poison Flurry builds with Combo Points.

Siphoning Strikes nerf is going to move Flurry (along with Pestilent Points aspect) up a bit in performance as a melee choice. Twisting Blades will still be the stronger skill overall but the price is squishyness. Speaking of Squishy...

DAMN ROGUES ABOUT TO BE SQUISHY AF! Across the board they nerfed various damage reduction skills, like damage reduction while close and damage reduction against poisoned enemies. They also hit Aspect of Disobedience which gave Rogues a healthy chunk of Armor and as stated before Siphoning Strikes was nerfed. And then you have the hidden nerf which is the Season Theme. The season theme requires you to put Hearts in the Jewelry slots. Well, Rogues normally would put Skulls in the Jewelry spot to increase Armor by a considerable amount. Since Rogues want to play the Seasonal Theme, they have to give up a lot of Armor by not using Skulls. So Rogues will either have to really look at playing Ranged as an option (perhaps some of the above changes are the devs intent) OR Rogues will have to seriously consider using any Malignant Hearts that have defensive abilities OR be satisfied playing a glass cannon build.

Edit: Just saw the Hearts....ngl kinda disappointed in the ones specifically for rogue. Maybe I need to see them in action. I suspect the Hearts with SUPER tags are going to be super rare hearts to get and those are the only ones I like atm :/

Thats my quick glance first impressions anyway. Could be totally wrong once the Season plays out.

Last edited:
I'm still slowly making my way through the plot (barely hit level 50, on Act 4 just now) so it doesn't affect me much as I didn't have much of a 'build' yet, but apparently this patch was not exactly popular

In regards to Rogues being squishy...nah we actually got out of the patch pretty nicely. I played last night without skulls (boosts your armor) in jewelry and was playing fine just had to play safer and actually use potions.

Then this morning Diablo made a patch where the hearts now will give you armor...so Rogue is fine esp if that Revenge heart is good so yea great to be a rougue i guess 🤷‍♂️

I'm still slowly making my way through the plot (barely hit level 50, on Act 4 just now) so it doesn't affect me much as I didn't have much of a 'build' yet, but apparently this patch was not exactly popular

To me thats a nice spot to be in as you havnt experinced alot of the endgame or items/aspects exclusive to endgame which is where the season is played.

From everything I have seen, from a pure casual perspective, barring server issues and other bugs, if you plan to play Necro, Druid, or Rogue its more or less business as usual. If you play Barbarian you will notice the nerfs and perhaps a little less build variety and mediocre season hearts but you should be fine. Sorcerer....pray they buff you asap. Otherwise, unless there are some surpise builds that perform well or I dont see Sorcerer having longterm fun this season.

In regards to Rogues being squishy...nah we actually got out of the patch pretty nicely. I played last night without skulls (boosts your armor) in jewelry and was playing fine just had to play safer and actually use potions.

Then this morning Diablo made a patch where the hearts now will give you armor...so Rogue is fine esp if that Revenge heart is good so yea great to be a rougue i guess 🤷‍♂️

To me thats a nice spot to be in as you havnt experinced alot of the endgame or items/aspects exclusive to endgame which is where the season is played.

From everything I have seen, from a pure casual perspective, barring server issues and other bugs, if you plan to play Necro, Druid, or Rogue its more or less business as usual. If you play Barbarian you will notice the nerfs and perhaps a little less build variety and mediocre season hearts but you should be fine. Sorcerer....pray they buff you asap. Otherwise, unless there are some surpise builds that perform well or I dont see Sorcerer having longterm fun this season.
I'm a rogue, currently running a penetrating shot kinda build but it's nowhere near geared very well. World Tier 2. Looking to finish the plot before I get too into anything much endgame, but I will eventually, I'm sure!

Well, I did manage to get in after having queued for about 15 minutes. Never have I had an instance where I had to wait more than a couple of seconds previously.
Everything was working fine for a while, but now whenever I try to fast travel, or to enter a dungeon, I get stuck on endless loading screens, and restarting the gane doesn't fix it.

Online only games are a curse.

Things were stable by the time I was able to play, hopefully those opening day issues will be gone for good now.

I had fun! Caging the malignant hearts is cool, gross, and the effects of them seem hefty. I was thrilled to see the Tal Rasha hearts that increase damage if you stack multiple elements; that was my favourite way to play Diablo III!

Any tips for how to deal with seasonal content in D4? I never played those things on Diablo III and only did campaign there a few times since I played it on all platforms.

I was trying to figure out why I'm not gelling with this game as much as D3, and I realized that it's probably two main things:

1) The loot. I really don't like the 'build your own legendary' system this game has going on compared to older Diablo games. Kanai's Cube and the whole 'grafting legendary affixes onto other things' is one of my least favorite things that D3 did later on, and this game seems to be really leaning in that direction. I much prefer the idea of finding a very specific Unique Legendary item that's build-altering and cool. It just seems like loot in general in this game isn't very interesting, at least to me.

2) In between D3 and this game, I have played a LOT of Path of Exile, and I think it has really hurt my enjoyment of this game. The amount of customization, skill tree craziness, and overall feel of the game that game has is much more up my alley I think.

I'm still going to keep playing this, and it's entirely possible that it will be better on higher world tiers, but I'm a bit mixed on it for sure.

Major patch coming on August 8th for anyone that is interesting.

I was trying to figure out why I'm not gelling with this game as much as D3, and I realized that it's probably two main things:

1) The loot. I really don't like the 'build your own legendary' system this game has going on compared to older Diablo games. Kanai's Cube and the whole 'grafting legendary affixes onto other things' is one of my least favorite things that D3 did later on, and this game seems to be really leaning in that direction. I much prefer the idea of finding a very specific Unique Legendary item that's build-altering and cool. It just seems like loot in general in this game isn't very interesting, at least to me.

2) In between D3 and this game, I have played a LOT of Path of Exile, and I think it has really hurt my enjoyment of this game. The amount of customization, skill tree craziness, and overall feel of the game that game has is much more up my alley I think.

I'm still going to keep playing this, and it's entirely possible that it will be better on higher world tiers, but I'm a bit mixed on it for sure.

Higher world tiers have more legendary aspects that you can't get in lower tiers. That and the hearts may be enough. I was able to make a fun Rapid Fire build that is really good at mobbing thanks to the Season Imbuement Heart I found and combining it with Icy Alchemist. My build would probly be mediocre outside of the current season. Overall for me, I just think the game needs more legendaries at all tiers and more crazy events but that may take a couple of seasons unfortunately.

I was not mentally prepared for fucking Duriel to appear out of nowhere near the end of the game, Diablo 2 PTSD was strong in that fight. Also might be the hardest fight in the game, and least for me? Whew!

For anyone interested, Season of Blood starts tomorrow. Here is the Season Theme:

Looks like they also added a lot of changes. Here are the Patch Notes:

Back
Top Bottom