• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Detective Pikachu Returns coming to Nintendo Switch on October 6th (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

It's so bizarre... I loved the first game on 3DS, yet I have no interest in this. I guess the movie sort of satiated my appetite for more.

What was TPC's plan if the Switch failed.

Why assume that the Switch would fail.

This company.
"We'll announce a Detective Pikachu game just to make those fuckers at Nintendo happy, Switch will fail anyway. lol"

Some months later...

"Crap, Switch is selling gangbusters, now we really have to develop that game!!!"

Honestly I think the lighting looks subjectively worse than some 3ds and Wii games, not from a technical perspective but an artistic one. The baked lighting via various methods or even textures, while sometimes cartoony, can look cohesive with the rest of the presentation. This reminds of Ps1/Ps2 era renders on posters and game manuals. I hope detective Pikachu fans find the characters and story charming at any rate.

Still looks bad. Thats all i have to say about it. At least they could make a second movie based on this

I think it largely comes down to time and budget. Main series Pokémon games just don’t get as much development time as they really should have, which used to be fine on handheld systems but with HD development those short development times just aren’t sufficient anymore, yet The Pokémon Company doesn’t seem to want to budge on that unfortunately.

Conversely, I think the opposite is likely at play here with Detective Pikachu Returns; this game certainly got enough development time for what it is, but it probably was made with a much smaller budget and a much smaller team, being a lower priority project all around. Doesn’t matter how long the game is in development if hardly any progress is being made in all that time, after all. As always, I blame The Pokémon Company; their differences in philosophy and general operations compared to Nintendo are very apparent.

To the game’s credit, though, the animations do look really good and you can tell that a lot of work was put into that aspect of the game. And I recall the 3DS game looking a lot better in motion on the 3DS itself than it looked in screenshots and video, so maybe the same will be true of this game and it’ll look better on the Switch itself. Still, though, I would have expected a better showing than this for sure…

Budget shouldn't be an issue for them considering the money they are raking in with this franchise. Let's not forget that they even increased their games by 20 euros even tho the quality wasn't increased at all.

Remember that Gamefreak wasn't originally sold on the Switch concept and wanted to stay with 3ds and mobile gaming. So this isn't too surprising

Yikes, were they really thinking people are gonna hang on to a 3DS for so many years just for Pokemon.

Quoted by: Tye
I just wish we'd get ONE Pokemon spinoff that either feels 'big' or at least looks very nice visually. I am not a graphics snob or so, but... it feels like Pokemon is the franchise that consistently looks the worst, visually. Even in Spinoffs.
New Pokemon Snap looked nice, but very stiff. Pokken probably looks the best, tho it was VERY bare-bones.
Give me a Pokemon 3D Platformer like Odyssey or something. -w-

But yeah anyways, I just felt like Detective Pikachu would be the perfect game to showcase some very nice graphics. Since it is a pretty simple game with not a lot of bombastic gameplay, so they could focus on making the world very crisp and pretty. I'd love a movie-style for the mons even. With actual hair and fur physics, nice moody neon lighting, etc etc.
But this really does look a LOT like a slightly-prettier 3DS title, which makes it just look very dull. And the constant reuse of the stiff Pokemon models doesn't help.
I will play it and I am sure it will be pretty fun. But visually, it looks pretty drab to me.

Budget shouldn't be an issue for them considering the money they are raking in with this franchise. Let's not forget that they even increased their games by 20 euros even tho the quality wasn't increased at all.
I mean, time doesn’t have to be an issue for them, either, but they make it an issue. That’s the case here with budget, too. Yes, of course they could give the game a bigger budget…but they don’t—that’s the problem.

Also, saying that the quality hasn’t increased at all is kinda disingenuous because there is a huge difference in making 240p 3DS games compared to making full HD games on Switch, and that takes a lot more resources. At the very least the “quality” has improved in that regard, since the games run at HD resolutions and use HD assets now. That said, yes, they could absolutely afford to give their games more development time/budget.

Was the first one any good? I preordered this as one of my free games from Best Buy, and I love a good Pokémon spinoff, but I’m wondering how engaging this can actually be. Because I heard the first was pretty basic.

It's definitely ugly, but it is weird to see people act like it's ABSURDLY ugly considering this is a console that Fire Emblem Three Houses released on.
it's a combination of things I'd imagine, first this game was announced a long time ago so the longer it took to come out, especially after the movie, the more people will start imagining how it might look.

Secondly this is very late in the Switch lifecycle where developers "should" be able to do more and more with the hardware (like from BOTW to TOTK from a scale/gameplay perspective). And specifically talking about Fire Emblem, there was a fairly big jump in visual quality from Three Houses to Engage (quality of the games themselves aside).

If the game turns out to be as good as Three Houses was (or even a very good kid friendly detective game), then yeah the visuals will just be disappointing instead of being the main talking point for the release.

Finally I think people are just tired of average looking Pokemon games to some extent (at least on the relatively small bubble of the internet) so this is another easy target.

It's definitely ugly, but it is weird to see people act like it's ABSURDLY ugly considering this is a console that Fire Emblem Three Houses released on.
the look and feel of a Pokémon-inhabited world is all this game really had going for it

reviews

So far the metacritic score is the same as the first game, despite the graphics.
It's still early on though so it could still change.

I'm not getting this on release so I hope the Pokémon company learns something from their last few releases.

New Pokemon Snap continues its reign as the best Pokemon spinoff on the Switch.

Maybe there will be a meme that emerges from this game later that'll be funny for a day or two.
Pikachu just needs a singular moment of open-mouthed shock against a forested background, and the game will survive in perpetuity in people's minds.

(NPS would have been even better if they had the anime voice actors do the Pokemon names like in 64 instead of generic animal sounds)

I haven’t been to Metacritic in ages, what on earth happened to the mobile layout?

Can’t say I’m too shocked by these scores tbh. I love Pokemon but this game just did not look very good. And I’m not just talking about the visuals.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Strange to have this release so long afterwards.

Pikachu just needs a singular moment of open-mouthed shock against a forested background, and the game will survive in perpetuity in people's minds.

(NPS would have been even better if they had the anime voice actors do the Pokemon names like in 64 instead of generic animal sounds)

Oh yeah I agree, that and the music direction are the only things the original have over the new one.

Oh yeah I agree, that and the music direction are the only things the original have over the new one.
For sure, it's still a 9/10 game and I think this sequel knocked it out of the park for returning after 20 years. In some ways I wish they would just go back and offer some free/paid DLC in the form of new courses and Pokemon to snap, because I don't think a Pokemon Snap 3 in a few years could realistically find the same success unless they hit every mark precisely

New Pokemon Snap continues its reign as the best Pokemon spinoff on the Switch.

Maybe there will be a meme that emerges from this game later that'll be funny for a day or two.
Pokken DX is pretty good, arguably better than NPS

This looked extremely cheap from the first showing so this isn't a huge surprise but still a shame. Seems like leadership doesn't really care about the quality of these games anymore.

I do have to say with two days before it launches and it's still not in the top 30 eshop is a bad sign for sales

Edit as of this morning I should say. Haven't checked since then.
Its number 30th (at least on the webpage). I think the switch eshop has a different update schedule. I wouldn't say its a bad sign for sales, spinoff don't have a high ceiling, The og mystery dungeon I believe is still the best selling spinoff at a 5.9 million. If it sells a million, its a win cause the first one was around 500k.

I do have to say with two days before it launches and it's still not in the top 30 eshop is a bad sign for sales

Edit as of this morning I should say. Haven't checked since then.
Man. Hard to imagine if it was called Betective Bikachu Beturns it would sell or review worse...

Its number 30th (at least on the webpage). I think the switch eshop has a different update schedule. I wouldn't say its a bad sign for sales, spinoff don't have a high ceiling, The og mystery dungeon I believe is still the best selling spinoff at a 5.9 million. If it sells a million, its a win cause the first one was around 500k.
It's just I'm used to big releases shooting up the charts as soon as preloads start downloading aka 7 days from release. I think Mystery Dungeon shot up faster than this if I remember right. I get that it isn't a main line Pokémon game but was expecting higher than this.

It's just I'm used to big releases shooting up the charts as soon as preloads start downloading aka 7 days from release. I think Mystery Dungeon shot up faster than this if I remember right. I get that it isn't a main line Pokémon game but was expecting higher than this.
Oh yeah totally, I can still see a small bump maybe on the weekend. If I remember MD sold like 2 million, but that was 60$, that could have hurt it a bit, maybe this one being 50$ might be more enticing, its on the list for my voucher.

I got it as one of several free games from Best Buy, so no loss in that sense, but I could sell it on marketplace right away and make some money back for a different game. I didn’t think it would be that brain dead.

Guess the question would be if it’s worth keeping to occasionally play with toddlers - they love Pikachu (and the other Pokémon they know!) and a talking Pikachu would be very funny to them. And honestly I could probably have my four year old direct me on the ‘puzzles.’ Eh, maybe I keep it.

It's a shame the game reviewed so badly. I didn't mind how it looks and was mildly interested by the premise, but if it's not fun then that's that.

I miss when Pokémon spin offs were all high quality. Feels like the few we have are mostly duds these days.

genuinely surprised to see reviewers so down on it (and having a lower score than the original 3DS game at that.)

i found the game to be a very cozy experience, and that's likely by design.
lil_guy.jpg

yes, that description also applies to Detective Pikachu.

yes, the sleuthing is easy (and at times makes you repeat info you already answered moments ago) but focusing on that clearly isn't the point. the core conceit is instead going on a friendly adventure with the titular Pikachu, taking in the environments, and watching his interactions.
it's a more like a modern equivalent of Hey You Pikachu or Pokemon Channel, but with far more engaging gameplay.

i'd also say it's a far more polished experience than the 3DS game, with no filler cases that aren't tied to the storyline and the fun new mechanic of riding Pokemon and using their abilities.
and it solidfies that the film adaption should have been CGI rather than live-action, the uncanny "realistic" designs certainly don't fit with the game's more relaxed tone. and it's attempts at being slightly edgier than the games were even more out of place. (as an example: one of the most notable scenes in the film has Tim & Pikachu visiting an illegal fighting arena, Pikachu gets roped into a match and gets so terrified he straight up swears for the first time in any form of Pokemon media. compare it with the game having a scene where Pikachu gets arrested and framed for a crime he didn't commit, while the inmates are the usual "edgy" Pokemon you'd expect to see and initally act tough, it becomes clear they were similarly framed for various crimes too. and become friendly once Pikachu clearly shows that he wants to help them too. )
fea2r.PNG

pain

yeah, about that....
Famitsu Sales: Week 41, 2023 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

01./00. [NSW] Detective Pikachu Returns <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2023.10.06} (¥5.980) - 85.639 / NEW

lol not a soul even on Famiboards played this it's so over

even Mario Rabbids 2 had an OT with a few pages

Reviewers are so down on it because it's a $60 game that looks like it has the budget of a medium tier indie project.

Taking in the environments would be much more pleasing if the game wasn't the worst looking full priced game on Switch other than SV.

It is worth mentioning that the exclusive Detective Pikachu card went a long way to capturing attention in Japan. I would be pretty surprised if it's natural demand was 85k. We'll have to see how it holds in its second week.

It is charting ok in other regions, but it was also a pretty lowkey week for releases anyways, we'll have to see how it holds.

genuinely surprised to see reviewers so down on it (and having a lower score than the original 3DS game at that.)

i found the game to be a very cozy experience, and that's likely by design.
lil_guy.jpg

yes, that description also applies to Detective Pikachu.

yes, the sleuthing is easy (and at times makes you repeat info you already answered moments ago) but focusing on that clearly isn't the point. the core conceit is instead going on a friendly adventure with the titular Pikachu, taking in the environments, and watching his interactions.
it's a more like a modern equivalent of Hey You Pikachu or Pokemon Channel, but with far more engaging gameplay.

i'd also say it's a far more polished experience than the 3DS game, with no filler cases that aren't tied to the storyline and the fun new mechanic of riding Pokemon and using their abilities.
and it solidfies that the film adaption should have been CGI rather than live-action, the uncanny "realistic" designs certainly don't fit with the game's more relaxed tone. and it's attempts at being slightly edgier than the games were even more out of place. (as an example: one of the most notable scenes in the film has Tim & Pikachu visiting an illegal fighting arena, Pikachu gets roped into a match and gets so terrified he straight up swears for the first time in any form of Pokemon media. compare it with the game having a scene where Pikachu gets arrested and framed for a crime he didn't commit, while the inmates are the usual "edgy" Pokemon you'd expect to see and initally act tough, it becomes clear they were similarly framed for various crimes too. and become friendly once Pikachu clearly shows that he wants to help them too. )
fea2r.PNG

pain

yeah, about that....
I'm mostly with you on this. The selling point isn't really that it's a mystery. The selling point is that you get to interact with Pokemon in novel ways. Previous Pokemon games have done this, but it's still charming here. Yet, I don't fault people for not playing it. My personal score is a 6.5 or 7. I think the game would be much stronger if the mystery and stories were more compelling. I happened to be playing New Pokemon Snap when this game came out and then finished it after I finished Detective Pikachu Returns, and I enjoyed NPS more than DPR.
Reviewers are so down on it because it's a $60 game that looks like it has the budget of a medium tier indie project.

Taking in the environments would be much more pleasing if the game wasn't the worst looking full priced game on Switch other than SV.
Is it $60 somewhere? On the US eShop, it's $50. I think it'd be better served and better received with a price cut, potentially a significant one, but this isn't the first time I've seen someone say it's $60, so I'm genuinely wondering if the pricing is varied by region in a way that's not normal. (I just looked up the Canadian eShop and saw it's $65 there.)

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO
In an interview with Famitsu, Creatures Inc managing director Hiroyuki Jinnai confirmed that the recently released sequel Detective Pikachu Returns was the final game in the storyline that started with 2016’s Detective Pikachu for the Nintendo 3DS.

But he said (via Google translate) that the team isn’t ruling out the possibility of a spin-off. “This concludes the story of Jinnai Tim, Pikachu, and Harry. However, all the staff also love the talking old man Pikachu, so maybe there will be a different development from the main story?”

Pokémon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara then added: “I can’t make any promises at this point, but if Detective Pikachu Returns is well received and there is a great demand for it, there is room for a spin-off.”
the saga continues....
It is worth mentioning that the exclusive Detective Pikachu card went a long way to capturing attention in Japan. I would be pretty surprised if it's natural demand was 85k. We'll have to see how it holds in its second week.
still popping off.
  1. [NSW] Detective Pikachu Returns (The Pokemon Company, 10/06/23) – 16,248 (101,887)

Back
Top Bottom