• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Detective Pikachu Returns coming to Nintendo Switch on October 6th (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

Did they ever port the first one? Or are they expecting us to play a sequel to a 3DS game without context?

this is how much am excited for this game

image.png

Wait this isn’t a port of the 3DS game?

I thought that must be why the visuals are so terrible

It’s not just the lighting etc, the animation is bad too

man why did I thionk this was more Arceus DLC at first, then I heard voices and was confused.
Same here! Ahahahaha that was my initial impression. I was like: whaaat? DLC this late in the game’s life? Mmaoo ok…

But then I saw that horrendous renderinng

The first one was sort of a nice adventure novel game to introduce children to the genre. I don't know why these take so long to release, unless they're trying to make sure they're not too far ahead of the movies.

just...how. Its pokemon. The first spawned one of the most successful Video Game movies. How is it possible that this looks THIS bad.

just...how. Its pokemon. The first spawned one of the most successful Video Game movies. How is it possible that this looks THIS bad.
Pokemon has to be the most mismanaged property around.

Game Freak and Creatures Inc just are not equipped for modern game development. The franchise's only hope of having any decent-looking games is to outsource more, like they did for Pokken and New Snap

Pokemon has to be the most mismanaged property around.

Game Freak and Creatures Inc just are not equipped for modern game development. The franchise's only hope of having any decent-looking games is to outsource more, like they did for Pokken and New Snap
Yeah, im still so confused by Scarlet and Violet, on a platform that has TotK, Xenoblade, and even SMT5 (...or Arceus...T.T)

but it sells. it always sells. it just always and always sells.

The original was one of the best looking 3ds games the move from Unreal to Unity really ruined this game visuals

man why did I thionk this was more Arceus DLC at first, then I heard voices and was confused.
I thought it was Arceus DLC too! Or even a sequel (be still my heart). It’s the Chimecos that threw us off I’m sure.

This game looks atrocious visually, but it could be fun otherwise? I never played the first one. Maybe I should though.

I hope we get the story of why this took like 5 years since the announcement to come out. Must have gone thorugh a hell of a development cycle.
The first game was similar too. Announced in 2013, had the first three chapters released in 2016 only in Japan and then the full game was finally released in 2018.

P.S: the sequel was announced in 2019 not 2018 so it's 4 years not 5.

Last edited:
Have we heard any word on Uchikoshi being involved yet? He was teasing this last night on Weibo.

Seriously, what the hell happened with the visuals, New Snap looked pretty good and the MD remake and Unite look fine so I at least expected spin offs to look good, especially ones that were in development for this long.
Worst part is that I feel this would look fine with better lighting, that aspect looked just as bad as SV, but the rest seems fine.

How does Pokemon keep pushing out these absolutely dreadful looking games? It's embarrassing

I couldn't imagine an uglier game than the last couple of Pokemon games, but here we are.

And the whole excuse of it being open world and the Switch not being to handle that is totally out the window now.

i dont like that nintendo's fanbase drop everything when someone criticizes pokemon, only to say "well if its bad THEN WHY IT SELLS"
It's not a defense against it being bad. It's a defense against it being mismanaged

I seriously thought this was more Scarlet/Violet content for the first several seconds of the trailer. I think that about sums up my thoughts on the quality on display here.

I hope we get the story of why this took like 5 years since the announcement to come out. Must have gone thorugh a hell of a development cycle.
Its developed by Creatures, Inc., same as the first.
What else do they do? Oh, yeah, they are essentially half of the credits on normal pokemon games, since they are the modeling and asset guys for gamefreak and are a third of the Pokemon Company.

So we had a pandemic and 2(!) open world pokemon games.

I would say the game was never really in development hell, but was always just a passion project they worked on when they where not slammed wit work for pokemon. i could see the team being not to big, and maybe a rewrite or 2 in all of this.

Does it explain the abysmal visuals? no, thats a whole different can of worms. But probably the 5 year development time for a rather simple adventure game.

There's never a point where I'd have been super interested in buying this game, but I've got to say it looks so flat, dated and disappointing. Always thought the 3DS release looked fantastic and really vibrant - a really charming looking late title. Having been a mystery for so long, it's a bit deflating to see this emerge looking so rough.

I wonder if the rumour about Uchikoshi is true. That would make one good point for this game.

The only thing I want to know is why Kotaro Uchikoshi teased this yesterday. If he’s involved I’ll be very interested.

Is this actually a sequel or a remake of the first game? Switch up seems to think it’s a remake
It’s very much a sequel, not a remake at all. Completely different from the 3DS game, though not many people bothered to play that one so I can imagine some people might think it’s a remake for some reason.

Also, kind of a bummer that it seems there are no Pokémon from Scarlet/Violet based on the trailer, only Pokémon up to Sword/Shield. Makes sense given when the game started development, I guess, but still, you’d think with as long as it’s been in development for that they’d be able to throw in some stuff from Scarlet/Violet, too. (Then again you’d also think the game would also look better than it does given that development time, and yet…😬)

Honestly, I'm a little surprised they're not bothering to port the 3DS game. It's not like Returns is gonna make it look bad by comparison, and it does seem to be continuing the first game's story, based on Mewtwo's appearance in the trailer

Has the Pokemon brand been 100% mismanaged?
No.

Have Pokemon games 100% developed by GameFreak been mismanaged?
Yes.

Whatever quality process the Pokemon video games have, is very questionable.

Quoted by: Tye

Back
Top Bottom