• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Detective Pikachu Returns coming to Nintendo Switch on October 6th (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

lol not a soul even on Famiboards played this it's so over

even Mario Rabbids 2 had an OT with a few pages
Hey, I played it at launch! But yeah, sad to see that no one even bothered to make an ST. For a Nintendo-centric forum, you’d think there’d be more people here playing any Nintendo release, at least enough for there to be some discussion (and an ST) for every Nintendo game, but sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Anyway I enjoyed the game for what it was, and like the 3DS game before it I vastly prefer the game to the Detective Pikachu movie we got, lol.

My main gripe with the game is that it really highlights the issue of The Pokémon Company’s insistence on using “it” to refer to Pokémon, which runs counter to the game’s message of Pokémon being their own individuals and not lesser than humans so the attempted anti-speciesist messaging rings hollow. The game actually uses he/she for Pokémon when a gender is known, and there’s at least one instance where singular they is used as well…but “it” is still used most of the time. They also use the term “people” exclusively as a synonym for “humans” and never including Pokémon too.

I'm interested in playing this at some point but the price is just a bit too much for what I think it'll end up being. I do feel like a series of mystery stories set in the Pokemon universe has potential, but nothing I've seen of this so far has really drawn me in enough to spend full price on it.

For those that did play it, would you say you get more out of it having played the original 3DS game? I never got around to that one either, unfortunately.

Quoted by: Tye
For those that did play it, would you say you get more out of it having played the original 3DS game? I never got around to that one either, unfortunately.
You’ll probably appreciate the sequel and its references to the first game more if you’ve played the original 3DS game first, yeah, though it’s not required at all to understand the story or anything. I would recommend playing both if you’re interested, personally.

You’ll probably appreciate the sequel and its references to the first game more if you’ve played the original 3DS game first, yeah, though it’s not required at all to understand the story or anything. I would recommend playing both if you’re interested, personally.
That's cool, makes sense to me. I'll check the original game out sometime and see if I vibe with it enough to check out the sequel. Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm enjoying it.

Only saw the movie once years ago so have no history with this subseries and little with pokemon in general, scarlet being my first pokemon game.

But it's fun, accepting that it pitches younger so the Detective stuff is on the easy side.

Did anyone else who’s finished the game end up figuring out what the Aurora Drop really is early on? I put it together in Chapter 2, lol. Was still cool to see it play out, though!

Hey, I played it at launch! But yeah, sad to see that no one even bothered to make an ST. For a Nintendo-centric forum, you’d think there’d be more people here playing any Nintendo release, at least enough for there to be some discussion (and an ST) for every Nintendo game, but sadly that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Anyway I enjoyed the game for what it was, and like the 3DS game before it I vastly prefer the game to the Detective Pikachu movie we got, lol.

My main gripe with the game is that it really highlights the issue of The Pokémon Company’s insistence on using “it” to refer to Pokémon, which runs counter to the game’s message of Pokémon being their own individuals and not lesser than humans so the attempted anti-speciesist messaging rings hollow. The game actually uses he/she for Pokémon when a gender is known, and there’s at least one instance where singular they is used as well…but “it” is still used most of the time. They also use the term “people” exclusively as a synonym for “humans” and never including Pokémon too.
Why would they use “people” to refer to Pokemon?

Quoted by: Tye
Why would they use “people” to refer to Pokemon?
Because Pokémon are people, too. “People” is commonly used to refer exclusively to humans, but as used as a plural form of “person”—which doesn’t just mean a human, but also an individual in general—it should absolutely apply to Pokémon (and nonhuman animals in real life, too, but ya’ll aren’t ready for that discussion and I’m not interested in derailing this thread by debating that because I know how veganism-related discussions go here). Pokémon are presented as living, sentient beings with their own personalities, and this game emphasizes how Pokémon and humans are equal, and in general has anti-speciesism themes…that fall completely flat because they don’t commit to those themes overall, such as sticking to calling Pokémon “it” as if they’re an object when singular “they” is right there. Sadly, most adult humans in our culture hold extremely anthropocentric views, and those at The Pokémon Company and Creatures are no exceptions, so it’s not like it’s totally unexpected and is just par for the course given how TPC has operated since the beginning, but it’s particularly irksome when the game in question has anti-speciesist themes because it just highlights those issues even further given the contradictory nature of it. I just wish they’d go all the way with it, especially given how popular and influential Pokémon is because it could really contribute towards fighting speciesism and pushing back against anthropocentric views in a significant way.

I don’t expect many others to share this sentiment, of course, which is why I put that part in small text—I was just venting, not really wanting to discuss it further.

Last edited:
I don’t expect many others to share this sentiment, of course, which is why I put that part in small text—I was just venting, not really wanting to discuss it further.
I won't press the issue, then. Thanks for the reply. And have a great weekend!

I won't press the issue, then. Thanks for the reply. And have a great weekend!
Thanks, you as well. And sorry if I came across as cold or frustrated or anything, it’s just that I’ve had very bad experiences trying to discuss topics along those lines here in the past which leads me to assume the worst when people respond to me on the subject, so I may mistake genuine, innocent curiosity for potentially being combative, disingenuous intent ‘cause that’s kinda what I’ve come to expect from others in most cases.

Anyway. Back to Detective Pikachu—I do kinda wish they had included the first game as a bonus along with this sequel. I feel like there’d be a lot less complaints about the price if that were the case, even if it was $60 instead of just $50.

Thanks, you as well. And sorry if I came across as cold or frustrated or anything, it’s just that I’ve had very bad experiences trying to discuss topics along those lines here in the past which leads me to assume the worst when people respond to me on the subject, so I may mistake genuine, innocent curiosity for potentially being combative, disingenuous intent ‘cause that’s kinda what I’ve come to expect from others in most cases.

Anyway. Back to Detective Pikachu—I do kinda wish they had included the first game as a bonus along with this sequel. I feel like there’d be a lot less complaints about the price if that were the case, even if it was $60 instead of just $50.
Late to this but yeah, as someone who never played the first that would’ve been a pretty awesome inclusion.

Back
Top Bottom