• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO December N64 NSO - Harvest Moon 64, 1080⁰ Snowboarding shadowdropped with Jet Force Gemini now!

Is this due to the A.I being tied to the framerate or something? What in the hell is this?
It's not necessarily just framerate but it's also like, timing overall where it's just completely off and faster (that's what makes the framerate faster)

NSO's N64 emulator really sucks.
Is the N64 a more difficult console to emulate than the Saturn?
At this point that's not true anymore, and Nintendo has all the documentations they need.

The emulator they are using just sucks and they should have commissioned a new one. If they had done that 2 years ago after the catastrophic launch of the service, we wouldn't be here today.

NSO's N64 emulator really sucks.
Is the N64 a more difficult console to emulate than the Saturn?

I don't think that's true. Nintendo's improved a lot of the games significantly. Some games like Pilotwings even run up to 60fps. It's not perfect of course - F-Zero X is a disappointment, and this needs fixing - but I've enjoyed the majority of the N64 offerings on nso.

I don't think that's true. Nintendo's improved a lot of the games significantly. Some games like Pilotwings even run up to 60fps. It's not perfect of course - F-Zero X is a disappointment, and this needs fixing - but I've enjoyed the majority of the N64 offerings on nso.
I don't think they willingly improved games to run better, the emulator is just so terrible that sometimes they even had to inject lag in certain parts of some of the games to account for problems. I refuse to think they made the N64 emulator with improvements in mind.

They can't even implement automatic pak switching in games despite the fact that they emulate both the Controller Pak (unused) and Rumble Pak, and has the features that could allow this the entire time.

Does anyone know the song that plays at the end of the trailer when they all say available now? I figure it’s maybe stock music so no one will know. It’s catchy haha

I don't think they willingly improved games to run better, the emulator is just so terrible that sometimes they even had to inject lag in certain parts of some of the games to account for problems. I refuse to think they made the N64 emulator with improvements in mind.

They can't even implement automatic pak switching in games despite the fact that they emulate both the Controller Pak (unused) and Rumble Pak, and has the features that could allow this the entire time.

You're right of course. I shouldn't talk on subjects like this as I know nothing tech related. Otherwise I'll just make a fool of myself.

You're right of course. I shouldn't talk on subjects like this as I know nothing tech related. Otherwise I'll just make a fool of myself.
By all means, if you're enjoying your time with N64 NSO, I don't want to ruin that. I also enjoyed playing it too.

I'm just super frustrated about the state of N64 NSO emulator in general.
I still have tons of nitpicks for every other NSO app, but N64 is the only one that genuinely makes me mad, I just think everyone deserves better.

I don't think they willingly improved games to run better
Disagree. Disabling framerate limit can't be an automatic process, not to mention higher resolution rendering.

I know, you wont stop complaining yadda yadda, but try to be a bit objective for once. There have been improvements made, improvements that not even in the oldest, shittiest hobbyist emulator are made by mistake.

And sure, you're right overall, and you know about the subject waaay more than the average member of this forum, but you're entering literal hating territory here.

Also, i'd like to add that, shitty as the emulator is, some of your comments are a literal disrespect to the devs, i'm starting to see lazy devs rethoric here and mate, this isn't Twitter.

Disagree. Disabling framerate limit can't be an automatic process, not to mention higher resolution rendering.

I know, you wont stop complaining yadda yadda, but try to be a bit objective for once. There have been improvements made, improvements that not even in the oldest, shittiest hobbyist emulator are made by mistake.

And sure, you're right overall, and you know about the subject waaay more than the average member of this forum, but you're entering literal hating territory here.

Also, i'd like to add that, shitty as the emulator is, some of your comments are a literal disrespect to the devs, i'm starting to see lazy devs rethoric here and mate, this isn't Twitter.
Just to answer the last part:
I try not to blame the devs that much, it's too easy to go that route. Nintendo is still to blame first and foremost as a company as they're still the ones saying "yes, this is fine, ship it", but I'll be honest, the emulator is 8 years old too, it's the same one as on the Wii U which was already doing some of the bad things. Maybe it's lazy dev rhetoric to you and I've certainly went that way before but I try really hard not to do that nowadays, but there's also some legit doubts from me when every other NSO app are good, sometimes genuinely impressive, and then I see this N64 NSO app. Playable, sure, but unpolished in every aspect to me.

Now I back up a bit and talk about why I think higher framerates is absolutely an automatic process:
First of all, they never disabled any framerate limit in any of the games. Some games have a capped framerate, some don't. But a lot of the games have unstable framerates on real hardware, and that is not necessarily tied to a cap, it's mostly a matter of real hardware limits.

When you get the system timings very inaccurate, you're essentially removing the real hardware limitations on the games... and that makes the game automatically get its performance improved all of a sudden, but that's not what I entirely blame here, because unofficial emulators still don't get that right to this day.

The timings in question that I talk about: the emulated code takes a certain amount of time to run. For the sake of performance and avoid calculating too much how long it's supposed to take because it's insanely complex, emulators uses a fixed amount of time for each CPU instruction, which is inaccurate, and this emulator is no exception.
Add that the emulated N64 graphics chip is emulated by performing calculations that are seen as done with no timing whatsoever by the emulated system, and you get basically a recipe where everything runs faster than the original N64.

The result of this is that games that have a framerate cap constantly runs to their max capped framerate, and games that don't, can run at 60 FPS.
You would be surprised how N64 games can have a capped framerate but never quite reaches it ever. It is pretty much automatic by this way of things, and to me, it's not a result of wanting to improve games, but rather just getting the emulator to perform fine on consoles by essentially simplifying a part of the system that's very complex. And they're not the only ones to do this.

If they disabled framerate caps in games that do have one, then it is a voluntary process and that is a much harder job to do, but they never did anything of the sort in any of the games on N64 NSO. The thing about this though, is that hobbyist emulators try to solve this by having a different fixed amount of time per instruction depending on the game to try to steer closer to original N64 performance for each game individually.
I do not ask the N64 NSO emulator to get accurate timings, hobbyist emulators still don't have it right, but those emulators at least try to get close.

But when games are programmed with a cap in mind (or not), but then other parts of the game are programmed to expect the performance to be worse than the cap anyway with attempts to counter that, well, the problem now is that you get stuff that do not work right because the framerate is better.
Some games are very good at managing a high framerate, like Pilotwings 64 is absolutely a banger at 60 FPS and I accept the improvements with open arms because the game deals with it perfectly fine (aside from Birdman's A button mashing being a bit more annoying than it should be because of the framerate but this is a nitpick), but some games do absolutely not like this and you get Jet Force Gemini when the game runs faster but then the game is harder than intended. There should be rigorous testing on this, they need to get certain of the stability and if the game wasn't made accidentally harder, and that's not what I see on N64 NSO on a regular basis.

About higher resolution rendering, everything is just vectors, it's basically free to do it, and technically they did that since Wii VC, when games ran at 480i/480p instead of 240p. This is probably the only willful improvement as there are some specific hacks per game to deal with this and even then I would debate that but I do think some games look terrible at 720p, but that's more of a taste thing.

I probably care too much than everyone else but so be it. I'm probably the misguided person who takes this too seriously even though I dare think it's not just for me, it's also for everyone else. The idea that a game that you play is not as close to the intended experience as possible is for me a real disrespect to the original game and their developers' work.
I'm not asking for super accuracy everywhere, I'm asking them to be rigorous in what they do to emulate the games. If they wanna improve them, they need to be more careful of what they're doing and compare to the original hardware to really make sure things are good enough.

tl;dr edit:
I spent too much time explaining details when I can sum up this to this basic idea of what happens when you run PC games on a low end system and when you run them on a higher end PC. The game runs at a higher framerate automatically. You're giving free performance. That's exactly what happened to the N64 games, and then add the idea that the games MAY not have been planned for this higher framerate in mind even if it was not capped, and you can get a bad recipe for disaster.

edit 2:
Okay so I noticed too late that I appeared rather opinionated in my posts to the point I made people feel somewhat attacked.
Not in my intention to make you guys feel that way and I'm sorry about that, but I still stand by my posts, I tried to be informative, including on the idea that yes, making N64 games run faster is genuinely automatic. If that feels like a disrespect to the devs behind the emulator, sorry, but it isn't, that's how the emulator works, and now that I detailed this in the aspect that I feel very informative, I hope you guys get it that I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here.

Last edited:
Not to go into the emulator topic (I'm not impressed but it seems for the most part "fine enough", but say no configuration for stick sensitivity is bullshit. Have you played the ring toss minigame in Pokémon stadium? Almost impossible)

Why do soooo many N64 games feel so sluggish?

I replayed mario 64 last year. 2/3 of the 64 library feels more sluggish. Or is the emulation part of the problem?
N64 controller definitely doesn't map to well onto joy cons.

Tried 1080 and jfg, and since I don't have nostalgia it's hard to get into those games... they don't FEEL great to play.

Fzero (never played this one) and mario kart still feel fine.
I don't remember banjo and kazooe feeling this slow and weightless.

Games I would actually want are:
Snowboards kids
Ogre battle
Mischief makers
Goemon
Didi Kong racing
Smash 64 (!)
Bomber man 64/64-2 and Hero

Why do soooo many N64 games feel so sluggish?

I replayed mario 64 last year. 2/3 of the 64 library feels more sluggish. Or is the emulation part of the problem?
N64 controller definitely doesn't map to well onto joy cons.

Tried 1080 and jfg, and since I don't have nostalgia it's hard to get into those games... they don't FEEL great to play.

Fzero (never played this one) and mario kart still feel fine.
I don't remember banjo and kazooe feeling this slow and weightless.
It's a mix of framerate and game design. Most N64 games feel heavy and sluggish because the console's average framerate is pretty low and the games are, probably, designed for higher framerates. Kinda like it happens with the graphics profiles of current gen games (or even some Switch games, like Grid Autosport)

F-Zero is a 60 fps game and Mario Kart just feels like a breeze to play overall.

About BK's weightlessness... Well, that's the reason why i was never a fan of Rare's platformers, i hate the lack of weight the characters have, wich btw is a staple of most western platformer games of the time (check out Shiny Enterntainment's Earthworm Jim or MDK)

Also yeah, the controller - in this case, the joycons - plays a huge role here, it's like they forgot to make a stick profile for each controller, and the Joycons are the worst option to play N64 games.

tl;dr edit:
I spent too much time explaining details when I can sum up this to this basic idea of what happens when you run PC games on a low end system and when you run them on a higher end PC. The game runs at a higher framerate automatically. You're giving free performance. That's exactly what happened to the N64 games, and then add the idea that the games MAY not have been planned for this higher framerate in mind even if it was not capped, and you can get a bad recipe for disaster.

edit 2:
Okay so I noticed too late that I appeared rather opinionated in my posts to the point I made people feel somewhat attacked.
Not in my intention to make you guys feel that way and I'm sorry about that, but I still stand by my posts, I tried to be informative, including on the idea that yes, making N64 games run faster is genuinely automatic. If that feels like a disrespect to the devs behind the emulator, sorry, but it isn't, that's how the emulator works, and now that I detailed this in the aspect that I feel very informative, I hope you guys get it that I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here.
If anything, i wanted to thank your for your reply, as i said before - and i wasn't being sarcastic - you're obviously more knowledgeable than the average Fami and it shows. Your explanation fits perfectly with the final result, so i stand corrected on that one, the framerate stuff in particular feels like a eeeeh, it's good enough case, wich given the fact that they apply patches in other cases feels pretty whack.

I still think there are some merits to the, admittedly, accidental results, wich overall improves games that would be considered unplayable today (see Goldeneye for example)

Believe it or not, despite being so adamant about this emulator being fine, i'm still hoping for a better N64 emulator on the Succ, it really stands out like a sore thumb compared to all the other NSO emus.

For the record, my biggest complaint with the N64 emulator is the lack of native rendering+scanline mode, it's such a glaring omission and it would help the visuals inmensely.

EDIT: Also, thank you for your final introspection. I didn't want to tell you directly, but you were being pretty abrasive. Personally i wasn't feeling attacked, but it didn't feel right.

If anything, i wanted to thank your for your reply, as i said before - and i wasn't being sarcastic - you're obviously more knowledgeable than the average Fami and it shows. Your explanation fits perfectly with the final result, so i stand corrected on that one, the framerate stuff in particular feels like a eeeeh, it's good enough case, wich given the fact that they apply patches in other cases feels pretty whack.

I still think there are some merits to the, admittedly, accidental results, wich overall improves games that would be considered unplayable today (see Goldeneye for example)
Mind you, I defend the results of Pilotwings 64. I loved playing the game at 50 FPS (I played the PAL version, I just like playing in my native language).
I'm not against better performance in games, but I think it needs to be done with care. In Pilotwings 64's case though, the game was very well programmed so that helped a lot.
It's one of those things where N64 NSO felt worth it to me. That's one rare moment where I say something good about it lol

Believe it or not, despite being so adamant about this emulator being fine, i'm still hoping for a better N64 emulator on the Succ, it really stands out like a sore thumb compared to all the other NSO emus.

For the record, my biggest complaint with the N64 emulator is the lack of native rendering+scanline mode, it's such a glaring omission and it would help the visuals inmensely.
I really want to point out that N64 NSO is still playable, it's still fine for most games. I still played some of the games on it, because I didn't necessarily take the time to play those games in the past either. And that's one reason why I think of retro NSO as a very important thing to me. Part of the fun of retro gaming nowadays, it's not just enjoying games, I want to share the joy, sometimes I discover games that I end up really loving, and sometimes I like seeing other people like me enjoying them.

I just get really frustrated when I, and everyone else, are not given the best introduction to these games because of bad emulation, it feels like a disrespect to the craft.

I want Nintendo to get better, and they made one of the most interesting offers about retro that I believe to be a way better introduction than Virtual Console ever was (I never liked VC). And every NSO apps, despite many nitpicks that I could give them, are pretty good at their job, and then there's N64, sticking out and then I just wish for the emulation to just get respectable. I'm not expecting the accuracy of Ares, but it deals with problems that unofficial emulation had solved a long time ago.

Aside from the lack of care that I mentioned, my number 1 complaint are the controls, they need implement control remapping in the app and better stick sensitivity, where some games are deeply affected by that... Then I want native rendering, Harvest Moon 64 really looks bad in high resolution to me.

EDIT: Also, thank you for your final introspection. I didn't want to tell you directly, but you were being pretty abrasive. Personally i wasn't feeling attacked, but it didn't feel right.
I really thought I was being somewhat calm when I made my posts, and couldn't tell I was coming off in this way on the moment, it didn't register. As much as I can get definitely heated about certain things, I usually never try to annoy people even in this way, and I'm sorry about this.

I don't think the issue is lazy devs so much as its a problem of Nintendo simply have not hired enough people to work on these emulators. Wouldn't be surprised if the number of people they have working on N64 NSO stuff was in the low single digits. Nintendo needs to hire more people to optimize NSO emulation and in general they need to stop being so stingy about NSO, especially when it comes to the NSO+EP stuff. The bad N64 emulation is made worse by how rarely they have bothered adding more games to NSO overall lately. GBA hasn't gotten an update since September. Genesis hasn't gotten an update since JUNE.

I don't think the issue is lazy devs so much as its a problem of Nintendo simply have not hired enough people to work on these emulators. Wouldn't be surprised if the number of people they have working on N64 NSO stuff was in the low single digits. Nintendo needs to hire more people to optimize NSO emulation and in general they need to stop being so stingy about NSO, especially when it comes to the NSO+EP stuff. The bad N64 emulation is made worse by how rarely they have bothered adding more games to NSO overall lately. GBA hasn't gotten an update since September. Genesis hasn't gotten an update since JUNE.
I have another theory that may sound kind of crazy, but it's also the same theory i have with the joycons' sticks:

I think they signed a contract with iQue to port and mantain the emulator for x amount of years or just for the whole extent of the Switch's commercial life, either because of their history with N64 or because they already had an emulator running on ARM, wich would make it cheap and fast to release it for the NSO Expansion Pack.

Whatever the case, just like with the joycons' sticks, we're stuck with it at least until the Succ releases.

I don't like saying lazy devs, but I did say at times that, maybe, iQue is not fit for this.
I'd trust NERD's experience, especially with their GameCube emulator, where most of that logic can also work mostly fine with N64, as both have some stuff in common, actually, especially the coding aspect being similar to my knowledge, even if the CPU is different. Can't really speak too much as my knowledge is limited but when I did some GC work a little bit I did feel some similarities to N64.
I have another theory that may sound kind of crazy, but it's also the same theory i have with the joycons' sticks:

I think they signed a contract with iQue to port and mantain the emulator for x amount of years or just for the whole extent of the Switch's commercial life, either because of their history with N64 or because they already had an emulator running on ARM, wich would make it cheap and fast to release it for the NSO Expansion Pack.

Whatever the case, just like with the joycons' sticks, we're stuck with it at least until the Succ releases.
iQue had an history where they made the NES and GBC (and canned GBA) emulators for 3DS Virtual Console, which were okay, in fact N64 runs on the same emulator framework as those two, but honestly iQue Studio did not really do a lot of technical work on N64, the major part of that work was by BroadOn who handled the technical side behind chinese localizations of N64 games, as well as hardware, software and infrastructure of the iQue Player.

Maybe some of BroadOn moved to iQue though, but I'm not too sure about that, but iQue Studio at the time was more like the second studio to give maybe development of user interface, graphic artists while BroadOn was doing the major work. I'd just think iQue was more about marketing and distribution than anything else.
BroadOn stopped working with Nintendo around the DSi I believe, they were responsible for security design for the Wii, modeled after the iQue Player's.

Personally though I just think Nintendo's higher ups thought iQue's N64 emulator was fine and probably didn't think that hard about it. I'd just hope they would reconsider after seeing the reactions, but who knows.

I wonder why Nintendo hired IQue when they could have just hired NERD again seeing as they've been responsible for all the other emulators thus far, and have done pretty well with them. Keeps things consistent as well. Was there a bidding war or something?

is jet force gemini good by the way?

It’s probably the biggest, most epic space adventure game of its time (1999). You have multiple planets to discover and explore, three playable characters with their own unique abilities, several different and cool weapons to utilize, and one of Robin Beanland’s greatest soundtracks and soundtracks in general. He really doesn’t hold back at all.

The controls will certainly take some getting used to and the game is tough as nails. Basically does require a near 100% completion on collectibles to finish the game and the boss fights are fun but very challenging. But if you’re okay with all of that and take the time to learn the controls, you’re in for a real treat. One of the best games of its generation.

Today in bad N64 emulation news

Fun fact; the sped up flying drones were a thing in the Rare Replay version of the game as well.

This was always one of those games that was fickle as a motherfucker to emulate, I always had to change settings within and outside the emulator to avoid crashes and to display vital visual info reliant on the framebuffer. After upgrading my hardware recently I still have arbitrary lag problems with the game that I'm too lazy to troubleshoot.

Given the past issues with the N64 emulator I'm actually pleasantly surprised that NSO got almost all of the common problem spots right for a smooth start to finish playthrough.

I just wish even a tiny fraction of the energy that people like @LuigiBlood put into calling out the N64 NSO emulator’s issues could also be directed to highlighting another issue of the N64 NSO app that there has been much less awareness of and discussion about, and I’d argue it’s just as much of a “disrespect to the original game” as emulation issues, if not more so given the fact that it’s the game’s very title that’s wrong. Plus it’s a much, much easier issue to fix, and therefore far more reasonable to expect it to actually be fixed, but unfortunately no one seems to care so I guess Nintendo’s not even going to bother, that is if they’re even aware themselves…

I was hoping that, with another Rare game published by Xbox Game Studios being added, Banjo-Kazooie’s title would finally be fixed this time, but nope…

If it's once again time to talk about the failings of NSO, I'm going to throw "where the hell are the game manuals" onto the pile.

I wonder why Nintendo hired IQue when they could have just hired NERD again seeing as they've been responsible for all the other emulators thus far, and have done pretty well with them. Keeps things consistent as well. Was there a bidding war or something?
I mean, NERD and iQue are both Nintendo subsidiaries. You don't generally have a bidding war between studios you own.

I think it's as simple as "NERD doesn't have a monopoly on emulation at Nintendo". Like LuigiBlood said, iQue also had prior experience making Nintendo emulators, being responsible for the 3DS's NES and GBC emulators. We can argue it may not have been the right move, but I don't think it's that big a surprise that Nintendo would want to distribute the work for NSO emulation among the two of them rather than have one studio shoulder the whole workload

Fun fact; the sped up flying drones were a thing in the Rare Replay version of the game as well.

This was always one of those games that was fickle as a motherfucker to emulate, I always had to change settings within and outside the emulator to avoid crashes and to display vital visual info reliant on the framebuffer. After upgrading my hardware recently I still have arbitrary lag problems with the game that I'm too lazy to troubleshoot.

Given the past issues with the N64 emulator I'm actually pleasantly surprised that NSO got almost all of the common problem spots right for a smooth start to finish playthrough.
I managed to finish JFG on Rare Replay and I'm at Mizar's Palace with Juno on the NSO.

This is doable. Also yeah, the drones shot slower in the N64 because the framerate was on its knees and constantly dropping frames. But I garantee that the TWO Invincibility bonuses that are in the very same zone in Tawfret (notably the one from the first video in that tweet) very weren't for decoration ; the drones in this section alone WILL ruin your HP in any version, N64 included.

You know that if even flippin' Rare with their insanely hard games had to put two invincibility bonuses in a single small zone, then they fuck'd up the difficulty. It's also no wonder all health & ammo pickups regenerate anytime you leave a zone (no need to quit a level, just enter a door or a new zone and come back). Even the invincibility comes back.

I mean, NERD and iQue are both Nintendo subsidiaries. You don't generally have a bidding war between studios you own.

I think it's as simple as "NERD doesn't have a monopoly on emulation at Nintendo". Like LuigiBlood said, iQue also had prior experience making Nintendo emulators, being responsible for the 3DS's NES and GBC emulators. We can argue it may not have been the right move, but I don't think it's that big a surprise that Nintendo would want to distribute the work for NSO emulation among the two of them rather than have one studio shoulder the whole workload
It's not really a bidding war thing but I'm genuinely uncertain of how good management was and currently is on this stuff because in the meantime, Nintendo has access to literally 3 different NES emulators:
  • from Intelligent Systems: used on Wii, Wii U and Switch for Fire Emblem and Mario 3D World's Luigi Bros.
  • from iQue: 3DS, and is most likely ported to Switch too
  • and a brand new one from NERD: NES Mini & NSO

NERD also made a brand new GB/C emulator, even though they could have improved iQue's GBC emulator for 3DS and Wii (used in Kirby's Dream Collection), and heck, NCL even made their own GB/C emulator for Wii that they ended up not using (and it supported the Super Game Boy, the source code of it leaked in 2020).

For the GBA emulator, Nintendo could have used M2's work from Wii U VC, they also could have gotten iQue to finish their GBA emulator that they couldn't finish for 3DS, instead they went to Panasonic Vietnam to do it and was in the making for several years (the leaked Sloop build is dated 2020), and heck, the SNES emulator is, as far as I know, originally from Intelligent Systems and development transferred to NERD around the SNES Mini.

NERD also happens to be responsible for the DS emulator for Wii U, and the GameCube emulator for Switch (also used as drop-in for porting GC/Wii games to Switch), and heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they made another emulator that was never rumored.

As much as I'd like to say that Nintendo wanted to distribute the work, NERD is definitely the one who has not only been the most active, but also between all developers, a lot of work are sometimes genuinely redundant to each other that I'm not sure if anyone managed this with long term goals in mind.
NERD is also responsible for the UI/UX of all NSO apps including from emulators that they don't have anything to do with.

Back
Top Bottom