• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO There’s an issue with the NES & N64 Nintendo Switch Online apps—namely “Earthbound Beginnings” & “Banjo Kazooie” UPDATE: EarthBound Beginnings fixed!!

Tye

All-around Nintendo enjoyer
Pronouns
they/them
No, I’m not talking about the emulation issues or the inability to remove the borders or anything like that. =P

The issue is actually a lot more surprising to me, and not something I would expect Nintendo to get wrong—and not just once, but twice…

FJqdAyKUcAI4Rkd

Game title errors!

First, Banjo-Kazooie’s title was misspelled as “Banjo Kazooie” without the hyphen. At first I thought maybe this quirk was some weird mandate from Microsoft or something, but then it happened again, but with a Nintendo-published game this time—EarthBound Beginnings, which is listed as “Earthbound Beginnings” with incorrect capitalization. Even weirder, Nintendo didn’t make this same mistake for EarthBound on SNES, which is capitalized correctly as “EarthBound” in the SNES - Nintendo Switch Online app. Weirder still, Nintendo spells the titles of both Banjo-Kazooie and EarthBound Beginnings correctly on the web pages for the NES and N64 Nintendo Switch Online apps, so how did they get those game titles wrong in-app??

It’s especially baffling coming from Nintendo, because they’re usually super good about making sure details like this are correct, especially when it’s something as significant as a game’s title… And these titles aren’t just hidden away in the “Details” menu, either—they show up on the Friend List when you’re playing them, too.

Ultimately, I know most people aren’t going to care about something like this, but it’s something I’d like to see fixed—and I’m sure it’s a super easy thing for Nintendo to fix, too. The fact that I haven’t seen anyone else talk about it at all makes me worry that Nintendo won’t even notice these errors, though, which is why I made this thread to point them out in hopes that it gets people talking. After all, I figure that if people were able to care enough and make enough noise to get some Nintendo Switch game icons changed (sadly the Tomorrow Corporation games and Sonic Mania weren’t some of those and they continue to defile my Switch HOME Menu with their logo-less presence, lol), then surely some people will care enough to bring these misspelled game titles to Nintendo’s attention, right…?

EDIT: The title for EarthBound Beginnings has been fixed!! But Banjo-Kazooie’s title has yet to be changed, with it still missing the hyphen despite all the updates the N64 NSO app has received so far, unfortunately…

Last edited:
Banjo Kazooie is definitely, like, objectively incorrect, but I've always spelled "EarthBound" as "Earthbound". I swear I've seen that spelling before. On the boxart and logos it's technically "EARTHBOUND," with all characters being upper case but the E and B being notably larger than the others.

Quoted by: Tye
This bothers me more than it should.
Glad I’m not alone in being bothered by this! lol

Banjo Kazooie is definitely, like, objectively incorrect, but I've always spelled "EarthBound" as "Earthbound". I swear I've seen that spelling before. On the boxart and logos it's technically "EARTHBOUND," with all characters being upper case but the E and B being notably larger than the others.
As far as I’m aware, it’s always been spelled “EarthBound” officially in text. And as I pointed out, Nintendo even spells it as such for EarthBound on the SNES app, and for both games on the web pages for the NES and SNES Nintendo Switch Online apps. I know it’s not uncommon for people to not capitalize the “B” in EarthBound, but that doesn’t make it officially correct. =P

I've been playing the game since it first came out and I spell it Mother...I mean Earthbound.

However, Nintendo most definitely should do the proper work for the titles here.

I've been playing the game since it first came out and I spell it Mother...I mean Earthbound.

However, Nintendo most definitely should do the proper work for the titles here.
Yeah, I understand that many people don’t use exact official titles colloquially, and that’s fine (though I’m a stickler for using official titles myself, lol), but as you said, Nintendo should absolutely be using the exact official titles themselves, and the fact that they aren’t here is just kind of bizarre to me.

What's weird to me is that there seem to be two instances of the titles in Nintendo's databases, which is what allows for the inconsistency.

This reminds me that "Bombuzal" was originally named Ka-blooey over here, and Piko inexplicably modified the original box-art to use the new title.
Ka-Blooey-snes-cover-art-front.jpg

kFIrfMB.jpg

It was originally released in Japan with the original title, but the art is completely different.
167000003.jpg

This reminds me that "Bombuzal" was originally named Ka-blooey over here, and Piko inexplicably modified the original box-art to use the new title.

kFIrfMB.jpg

It was originally released in Japan with the original title, but the art is completely different.
167000003.jpg

Huh. I wonder if that boxart/version of the game was in Nintendo's archive. The lettering and font there almost look too authentically 90s to be something that was made today.

Honestly not bother too much since it's very easy to make such mistakes. Not really noticeable too so I'm not surprised this got slipped.

Now, Bandai Namco on the other hand, forgot to capitalize the A in Doraemon: Story of Seasons for the home icon (so when you choose it, it shows as "DORaMEMON: STORY OF SEASONS") very much bother me to no end because of how stick out it was.

Honestly not bother too much since it's very easy to make such mistakes. Not really noticeable too so I'm not surprised this got slipped.

Now, Bandai Namco on the other hand, forgot to capitalize the A in Doraemon: Story of Seasons for the home icon (so when you choose it, it shows as "DORaMEMON: STORY OF SEASONS") very much bother me to no end because of how stick out it was.
I’m assuming you didn’t mean to type the extra “M” in there, right? ‘Cause if so that’d be quite the mistake from them for sure, lol. Though looking into it, that actually seems to be consistent with the capitalization of Doraemon in the game’s logo:

Of course, I know nothing of Doraemon so I’m not sure if this is a consistent way of stylizing the title or not, but just looking at the logo it would appear to me that they were just matching the case of that, which would mean that the lowercase “a” would have been intentional there and not a mistake.

However, if we’re talking about inconsistencies with HOME Menu stuff, one thing that bugs me to no end is how many games from the same company have absolutely no consistency when it comes to what they list as the publisher of a game on Switch. For example, SEGA has used “SEGA”, “Sega”, “SEGA CORPORATION”, “SEGA Games Co., Ltd.”, “SEGA of America, Inc.”, “SEGA of America, inc.” (note the capitalization of “inc.”), and “Sega of America, Inc.”, depending on the game. Now, I get that some of those are technically different branches of the company or whatever, so maybe those make sense, but even among the same branch there’s still no consistency when it comes to capitalization, which I just find really odd. Of course, this is purely a third-party problem, because Nintendo—as you’d expect—never makes this mistake and all Nintendo published games have a simple, consistent “Nintendo” listed as publisher.

But again, the fact that Nintendo almost never makes these kind of mistakes makes these NSO title errors stick out even more to me. Yeah, I know they’re not likely to bother many people, but they should still be fixed! I just worry Nintendo may not even notice, since they’ve not been fixed yet (though, to be fair, neither the N64 or NES app have gotten updates since those errors first appeared with those games).

NERD needs a copyeditor and styleguide asap!

kFIrfMB.jpg

167000003.jpg
I'd bet this is a rights thing. Like Kemco probably still holds rights over Ka-Blooey or something.

Huh. I wonder if that boxart/version of the game was in Nintendo's archive. The lettering and font there almost look too authentically 90s to be something that was made today.
It's more likely to be edited, considering Piko's usual MO. The ROM used on the app is also just the unmodified Japanese (Though all of the text was already in English) version, if i'm not mistaken.

It's not the only game they acquired that has received edits for copyright reasons, either. They somehow got the rights to Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam! But not Barkley himself, so the game now stars a random stock photo guy named "Joe Hoops".
E6zUhL2VIAIlAyp.jpg
36939-barkley-shut-up-and-jam-genesis-screenshot-title.gif

I’m assuming you didn’t mean to type the extra “M” in there, right? ‘Cause if so that’d be quite the mistake from them for sure, lol. Though looking into it, that actually seems to be consistent with the capitalization of Doraemon in the game’s logo:

Of course, I know nothing of Doraemon so I’m not sure if this is a consistent way of stylizing the title or not, but just looking at the logo it would appear to me that they were just matching the case of that, which would mean that the lowercase “a” would have been intentional there and not a mistake.
Yeah I didn't mean to put an extra M there lol.

I did think it might be intentional because of the English logo. But it would be a very weird decision since no other media has the title stylized this way on the texts. So I'm not really sure what's up with it either.

As someone that is an absolute stickler about writing game titles as they should, using all the punctuations, stylizations, capital letters, and such.. yeah, this annoys me immensely! 🐺 💢

I demand that if, by any chance, we get the N64 Donald Duck game by Ubisoft on NSO, they write the name correctly (Disney's Donald Duck: Goin' "Qu@ckers*!")

As someone that is an absolute stickler about writing game titles as they should, using all the punctuations, stylizations, capital letters, and such.. yeah, this annoys me immensely! 🐺 💢
Oh hey, another stickler for correct titles, I’m not alone! lol

Really though, I’m unsure of how to really get Nintendo’s attention about this… I suppose it’s possible that they may already know and are going to fix them with the next updates for the NES and N64 apps (though who knows how long it will be before they update the NES app again…), but failing that, is there any hope to get Nintendo to fix these errors? Surely no gaming site is going to make a news article about this issue or anything ‘cause I can’t imagine any journalists caring enough about it, unfortunately, so if this thread can’t spread the word enough, I guess the best bet would be to try to take it to the Banjo-Kazooie and EarthBound fan communities, maybe, where there may be people who are more likely to care? (I like both franchises, but I’m not as intimately familiar with either of them to really be the kind of person to want to engage in online communities dedicated to them…)

I think you mean BANjO--KAZOOiE
Logo stylizations ≠ official text stylizations, lol. Well, sometimes they do, of course, but often times not—otherwise we’d have a lot of game titles that are officially ALWAYS SUPPOSED TO BE IN ALL CAPS (though I guess there are a fair amount of those still, too, lol).

It needs to be noted that in the ESRB website, the NES game is listed as "EARTHBOUND BEGINNINGS" (Yes, with the ALL CAPS)

It needs to be noted that in the ESRB website, the NES game is listed as "EARTHBOUND BEGINNINGS" (Yes, with the ALL CAPS)
The ESRB isn’t the place I’d check for official title spelling/capitalization, and they seem to list some games in all caps for no apparent reason.

On the other hand, here’s Nintendo’s official page for EarthBound Beginnings on Wii U Virtual Console: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/earthbound-beginnings-wii-u/

Only a few more days until The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask is added to the Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online app and we can see if Banjo-Kazooie’s title has been fixed along with it…

Who knows when the Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online app is getting an update next, though… ._.

Well, the Majora’s Mask update is out, and…

…the “Banjo Kazooie” title error is still there. =/ Nintendo really isn’t going to fix these, are they…?

Is there, like, any kind of way to bring issues like this to Nintendo’s attention directly? I’m guessing not? I doubt going through their customer support will actually have any chance of making the issue known to the relevant parties…

Well, the Majora’s Mask update is out, and…

…the “Banjo Kazooie” title error is still there. =/ Nintendo really isn’t going to fix these, are they…?

Is there, like, any kind of way to bring issues like this to Nintendo’s attention directly? I’m guessing not? I doubt going through their customer support will actually have any chance of making the issue known to the relevant parties…

In all honesty, I don't know if there's a way to bring it to their attention, and if you somehow were able to, I don't think they'd care. The issues here are so small that even if they were aware, I don't think they would bother to change anything.

In all honesty, I don't know if there's a way to bring it to their attention, and if you somehow were able to, I don't think they'd care. The issues here are so small that even if they were aware, I don't think they would bother to change anything.
It’s weird, though, because Nintendo is usually very particular about making sure stuff like this is presented correctly, and they almost never make errors like this—they’re certainly no Capcpom, lol. So I feel like they absolutely would want to fix this, especially with how trivial it would be to do so, but I’m guessing they’re just not aware of it?

I don’t think it’s such a small thing, either. It’s literally the title of these games. It’s broadcast to everyone on your Friend List when you’re playing the game. Nintendo doesn’t get their Switch game titles wrong on the HOME Menu, and if they did make an error there I’m sure they’d fix it, so why not these as well?

It’s weird, though, because Nintendo is usually very particular about making sure stuff like this is presented correctly, and they almost never make errors like this—they’re certainly no Capcpom, lol. So I feel like they absolutely would want to fix this, especially with how trivial it would be to do so, but I’m guessing they’re just not aware of it?

I don’t think it’s such a small thing, either. It’s literally the title of these games. It’s broadcast to everyone on your Friend List when you’re playing the game. Nintendo doesn’t get their Switch game titles wrong on the HOME Menu, and if they did make an error there I’m sure they’d fix it, so why not these as well?

Sure, it's literally the title, but what difference does Banjo-Kazooie make over Banjo Kazooie? It hardly seems like a Capcpom situation to me. Like you say, it would be a very easy fix... so if they haven't fixed it, they probably don't think it matters either.

Sure, it's literally the title, but what difference does Banjo-Kazooie make over Banjo Kazooie? It hardly seems like a Capcpom situation to me. Like you say, it would be a very easy fix... so if they haven't fixed it, they probably don't think it matters either.
I think it’s more likely that they just didn’t notice the error in the first place, and it’s not like people have cared enough about it for it to become a well known issue online, so Nintendo may just be completely unaware.

And the difference is that it’s not correct, lol. I know it probably doesn’t matter to most people, and ultimately it doesn’t really affect anything (but you could say the same about other stuff, like the issue in that single room in OoT’s Water Temple, yet that was fixed despite it ultimately not really mattering at all either beyond it not being correct), but it’s exactly the kind of thing that should and does matter to Nintendo.

I have no doubt that they would fix it if they were aware…but I think that’s the exactly the problem here, they’re just not aware. It’s not like this is a case of an error in a game which is no longer being actively worked on, either—these apps are going to continue to get updates, so fixing a couple titles is something that should absolutely be possible.

I’m sure if people bitched enough about it like they have for most of the emulation issues then they’d be fixed in no time, but unfortunately, yes, most people do not and will not care about this, I know. But it’s still something that should be fixed, and I’m positive Nintendo would be fixing it in no time if they were aware of the issue in the first place.

It’s frustrating, too, because I know if this was something like, say, Pokémon Legends: Arceus missing the accented e in Pokémon in the title that appears on the Switch HOME Menu (not that The Pokémon Company or Nintendo would actually make that mistake), that people would absolutely be making a big deal about it online, but I guess people don’t care as much about this because the titles aren’t quite as in-your-face in these apps and they’re all older games.

A small typo can take a while to be fixed, because it's not a priority. There was a typo only in german in the 3DS camera app, when it was booted in a specific way. Every time there was a new firmware update the running joke became Nintendo does not care but after a long time they fixed it.

A small typo can take a while to be fixed, because it's not a priority. There was a typo only in german in the 3DS camera app, when it was booted in a specific way. Every time there was a new firmware update the running joke became Nintendo does not care but after a long time they fixed it.
Sure, but this isn’t just a small typo somewhere in the game’s text, it’s literally the titles for these games. Rather than it not being a priority (because the fix is surely super simple and would require barely any effort at all, especially considering that these apps are still getting continued updates), I think it’s much more likely that Nintendo’s not even aware of it, which is why I’m trying to bring the issue to people’s attention here in hopes that others will care enough to talk about it as well. After all, tons of people have been complaining about the emulation issues—many of which I’d argue are just as or even less important than these title errors—and as a result Nintendo has been working towards slowly fixing them. But I’ve not really seen anyone else online besides myself pointing out these title errors, and I’m sure the reason why they exist in the first place is because Nintendo just didn’t notice them, of course, so there’s not going to be any hope of them getting fixed unless Nintendo is actually aware of the issue in the first place, and that’s all I’m trying to help with here… I just wish other people would care even just half as much about this as they do about emulation issues that ultimately matter just as much or less so (unless you’re talking about things that legitimately effect gameplay like input lag or crashes).

Last edited:
I'm actually more concerned that Xbox Game Studios is listed instead of Rare.
(like, I'd have expected both to be listed, but seeing Xbox next to "released in 1998" looks wrong lol)

(like, I'd have expected both to be listed, but seeing Xbox next to "released in 1998" looks wrong lol)
That’s actually consistent with how the publisher field is handled in the Nintendo Switch Online apps; the current publisher is listed, not original. Rare wouldn’t be listed in either case, anyway; if original publisher was listed, it would be Nintendo, not Rare. And Microsoft fully owns Banjo-Kazooie now, not Rare, so that’s why the publisher is Xbox Game Studios.

Now, there is another case that might actually be a legitimate publisher listing error, but I’m not completely certain. Super Tennis is listed as being published by Nintendo outside of Japan, while the Japanese app lists the Japanese version as being published by Tonkin House—which I believe is correct; Nintendo published the international version of the game and seems to own (or at least co-own) that version, while Tonkin House published and owns the Japanese original.

That game isn’t the potential issue, though; it’s another game with a similar situation—Super Soccer. It seems to be the same kind of deal as with Super Tennis; the original Japanese version was published by a third-party, but the international version was published by Nintendo, with Nintendo being listed on the title screen of that version for copyright. But despite that, the English SNES app doesn’t list the game as being published by Nintendo like it does for Super Tennis, even though that seemingly should be the case here if that’s what was done for Super Tennis. Instead, it just lists Spike Chunsoft (who must be the current owner of the game as Human Entertainment was the original publisher) as the publisher in all regions.

I can’t say for sure whether that is legitimately an error or not, though, since it could just be a case of weird ownership, and maybe Spike Chunsoft does indeed fully own the international version of Super Soccer now. I just noticed that it’s inconsistent with Super Tennis which seems to be in the same sort of situation. Or maybe the reverse is true, and it’s actually Super Tennis that shouldn’t have Nintendo listed as publisher? I don’t really know whether Nintendo actually owns either of the international versions of those two games now or not.

Emulation issues can change how you play and experience a game. Asides from things like crashes and lag, things like missing effects can change the atmosphere of a game entirely. I don't think it's even remotely comparable to a missing hyphen that's not even within the game itself, ultimately changing nothing.

That’s actually consistent with how the publisher field is handled in the Nintendo Switch Online apps; the current publisher is listed, not original. Rare wouldn’t be listed in either case, anyway; if original publisher was listed, it would be Nintendo, not Rare. And Microsoft fully owns Banjo-Kazooie now, not Rare, so that’s why the publisher is Xbox Game Studios.

Now, there is another case that might actually be a legitimate publisher listing error, but I’m not completely certain. Super Tennis is listed as being published by Nintendo outside of Japan, while the Japanese app lists the Japanese version as being published by Tonkin House—which I believe is correct; Nintendo published the international version of the game and seems to own (or at least co-own) that version, while Tonkin House published and owns the Japanese original.

That game isn’t the potential issue, though; it’s another game with a similar situation—Super Soccer. It seems to be the same kind of deal as with Super Tennis; the original Japanese version was published by a third-party, but the international version was published by Nintendo, with Nintendo being listed on the title screen of that version for copyright. But despite that, the English SNES app doesn’t list the game as being published by Nintendo like it does for Super Tennis, even though that seemingly should be the case here if that’s what was done for Super Tennis. Instead, it just lists Spike Chunsoft (who must be the current owner of the game as Human Entertainment was the original publisher) as the publisher in all regions.

I can’t say for sure whether that is legitimately an error or not, though, since it could just be a case of weird ownership, and maybe Spike Chunsoft does indeed fully own the international version of Super Soccer now. I just noticed that it’s inconsistent with Super Tennis which seems to be in the same sort of situation. Or maybe the reverse is true, and it’s actually Super Tennis that shouldn’t have Nintendo listed as publisher? I don’t really know whether Nintendo actually owns either of the international versions of those two games now or not.

This likely isn't an error. Publishing deals can expire, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't see much value in extending their rights on the international version of Super Soccer, reverting the rights back to Human (now Spike Chunsoft). What's more surprising is that they seemingly still have international rights to Super Tennis. Different deals between different companies, I guess. We'll likely never know for sure!

Emulation issues can change how you play and experience a game. Asides from things like crashes and lag, things like missing effects can change the atmosphere of a game entirely. I don't think it's even remotely comparable to a missing hyphen that's not even within the game itself, ultimately changing nothing.
I know, but then there are some issues that people make a big deal about—like the Dark Link room in the Water Temple—that are literally something that you’ll only see for a few minutes at most, and most people probably won’t even notice. Many people would probably be more likely to see the incorrect titles of those other games from the Friend List more often that they’ll ever see that one room in Ocarina of Time. Maybe it doesn’t affect the gameplay experience but it clearly does have some effect on some people, because otherwise I wouldn’t be so bothered by it myself! =P

Above all, though, the incorrect titles are just objectively wrong. At least with emulation quirks it can be potentially considered an artistic choice, especially if there are just issues preventing something from being replicated 100% identically to the original hardware so decisions have to be made about how to handle that. But the titles are just wrong, and something that Nintendo really should fix. If these were Virtual Console releases where the titles are clearly visible from the HOME Menu, you know people would be pointing it out—though I’m sure Nintendo wouldn’t have made the mistakes in the first place if the titles were that prominent (and I don’t believe they’ve ever made title errors like that for Virtual Console releases before, anyway).

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the emulation issues shouldn’t also be fixed or anything—I’m actually very happy that they are being worked on! I’d like to see the games presented in as accurate a state as possible—but that also includes their titles, which should be significantly easier to fix. I’m especially worried about EarthBound Beginnings, because we may not be getting that many more updates to the NES app, so there might only be a few more chances left for the title issue to be brought to Nintendo’s attention and fixed… And it’s just frustrating that no one else seems to really care about this but me.

This likely isn't an error. Publishing deals can expire, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't see much value in extending their rights on the international version of Super Soccer, reverting the rights back to Human (now Spike Chunsoft). What's more surprising is that they seemingly still have international rights to Super Tennis. Different deals between different companies, I guess. We'll likely never know for sure!
Yeah, I probably should have presented it the other way around, with Nintendo being listed as the publisher for Super Tennis being the more likely potential error, if there even is one, but like you said, it very well may not even be an error at all! I wasn’t claiming that it absolutely was, anyway, just pointing out the observation. I keep a spreadsheet of all the NSO releases for organizational purposes so it’s easy for me to notice little things like this, lol. I order my NSO games by original release date, with (originally) first-party games listed first followed by third-party games after those, so the publisher discrepancies between Super Tennis and Super Soccer were immediately apparent to me. =P

Last edited:
That’s actually consistent with how the publisher field is handled in the Nintendo Switch Online apps; the current publisher is listed, not original.
That's right! Super Puyo Puyo 2, a Super Nintendo game, is listed with SEGA as the publisher; It's fun to see that lol

But it makes all the sense, after all.. they are the ones actually publishing those games on the service; It's more surprising when we get to see stuff like Claymates resurrect the Interplay name just for publishing the title there!

The borders are one of the banes of my life.
I don't mind the borders, but I seriously don't understand why they haven't added the options from the mini/classics. The NSO one is just so plain. Make them an Expansion Pass perk if you must or better yet add homages to the Super Game Boy / Game Boy Player frames which were chefs kiss

I know, but then there are some issues that people make a big deal about—like the Dark Link room in the Water Temple—that are literally something that you’ll only see for a few minutes at most, and most people probably won’t even notice. Many people would probably be more likely to see the incorrect titles of those other games from the Friend List more often that they’ll ever see that one room in Ocarina of Time. Maybe it doesn’t affect the gameplay experience but it clearly does have some effect on some people, because otherwise I wouldn’t be so bothered by it myself! =P
Just saying; the Dark Link room was used as the big exemplar for the app's emulation issues because there were multiple visible errors within that single room which impacted other parts of OoT and the other games in the app:
  • Missing texture transparency causing the reflections to not be visible. Fixed when B-K was added; still seemingly an issue for other games as Majora's Mask has a few visual errors of this nature.
  • Messed up texture blending causing the water to display incorrectly (the water in that room uses two textures combined to create the effect). Fixed yesterday.
  • Broken fog emulation taking away from the ambiance of the room. Also fixed yesterday, but this is a HUGE one that not only impacted everywhere in OoT, but every other 3D game in the app.

Just saying; the Dark Link room was used as the big exemplar for the app's emulation issues because there were multiple visible errors within that single room which impacted other parts of OoT and the other games in the app:
  • Missing texture transparency causing the reflections to not be visible. Fixed when B-K was added; still seemingly an issue for other games as Majora's Mask has a few visual errors of this nature.
  • Messed up texture blending causing the water to display incorrectly (the water in that room uses two textures combined to create the effect). Fixed yesterday.
  • Broken fog emulation taking away from the ambiance of the room. Also fixed yesterday, but this is a HUGE one that not only impacted everywhere in OoT, but every other 3D game in the app.
I’m aware. I’m just talking about what the general response online has been, at least from what I’ve seen. It seems most people have just been complaining about that one room, even if they weren’t aware of the specifics, because it’s an easy thing to latch onto I guess. All I’m trying to say is that people clearly care enough to spread the word of the issues affecting that one room in particular (and other parts of the game, but again, it seems many people have reduced it down to that one room anyway) even though it’s such a small part of the whole game, yet no one else seems to care about these title errors—and again, these are literally the titles of the games, a pretty important thing, and you know people would be complaining if this was visible on the HOME Menu like any other Switch game—which I just find frustrating and disappointing.

I’m very glad that the emulation errors are getting fixed! I just want to bring attention to these title errors, too! Especially for EarthBound Beginnings, which may not have that many more chances to be updated since I doubt we’re going to be getting much more in the way of NES games anymore…

The Nintendo Switch Online mobile app has been updated with the feature to view your Friend List…which means there’s now another place where the “Earthbound Beginnings” and “Banjo Kazooie” title errors can be seen! AHHH!!

FNRAkSVVQAIfyk1
FNRAkSuVQAUAgx3

(Don’t judge my low play time in the N64 app—I just haven’t gotten around to playing it much yet! =p)

Help me submit feedback via the NSO mobile app!
Aaaaaaaand…Banjo-Kazooie’s title still hasn’t been fixed as of the latest N64 update that added F-Zero X, unfortunately.

There may be a way to send feedback to Nintendo about these title errors, though, if anyone else here would care to help out. In the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app, there’s now an option to submit feedback through the app. Of course, the feedback is meant to be for the NSO mobile app specifically, I’m sure, but since this is also a NSO-related issue, I would hope that there’s a possibility that if enough people report the issue via the app, it may be forwarded to the relevant party to make them aware of the issue and hopefully have the titles fixed in future updates.

Here’s what I submitted:
FNRSKcsVEAQFUwG

I’d love it if anyone else would like to help out by submitting their own feedback via the NSO mobile app about these title errors! If you want to use my message as a base, or even just copy/paste it as is, here it is in text:
The titles for the games EarthBound Beginnings and Banjo-Kazooie are misspelled as “Earthbound Beginnings” (lowercase “b”) and “Banjo Kazooie” (no hyphen) in the Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online and Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online software for Nintendo Switch, respectively, and as such they display in this app with those incorrect titles while being played. I understand that this isn’t an issue with this app specifically, but as an issue related to another Nintendo Switch Online service, I hope this feedback can reach the appropriate party so that they can be made aware of these title errors and possibly have them fixed with future updates to the NES and N64 software. Thank you!

Last edited:
In the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app, there’s now an option to submit feedback through the app.

You could already contact Nintendo Support directly and report the error. I wrote a nice E-Mail to the german part of Nintendo. Or write a physical letter.

You could already contact Nintendo Support directly and report the error. I wrote a nice E-Mail to the german part of Nintendo. Or write a physical letter.
Sure, but they don’t make it as easy. You have to call or chat with someone directly (Nintendo of America doesn’t accept emails, as far as I’m aware), which is not only difficult for me with my anxiety, but I’m not too confident on how likely it is for any feedback left with their customer support that way to actually be passed along to the relevant party. I suppose I could write a physical letter, but I’m not sure if that would be much better. More importantly, though—what probably helps most is if multiple people are reporting these issues, and other people are gonna be way more likely to help out in reporting the issue if it’s as easy as submitting feedback via an app like this, rather than asking them to actually call or chat with Nintendo support.

I think submitting feedback via the NSO mobile app might have been what finally brought it to Nintendo’s attention, because I sent that after the last N64 update and before this NES update. Unless they just caught the error on their own, but I guess we’ll see if they follow through with fixing Banjo-Kazooie as well or not.

They fixed the title for EarthBound Beginnings in the latest NES update!!
FPJExLCUYAIX3j-

Now hopefully Banjo-Kazooie will be fixed with the next N64 update, too!
Hey that's great! It was not something I kept thinking about it, but that was definitely bothersome, so I'm happy it's fixed!

Back
Top Bottom