• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO There’s an issue with the NES & N64 Nintendo Switch Online apps—namely “Earthbound Beginnings” & “Banjo Kazooie” UPDATE: EarthBound Beginnings fixed!!

I think submitting feedback via the NSO mobile app might have been what finally brought it to Nintendo’s attention, because I sent that after the last N64 update and before this NES update. Unless they just caught the error on their own, but I guess we’ll see if they follow through with fixing Banjo-Kazooie as well or not.
Might submit a request for Mystical Ninja 64 and Space Station Silicon Valley through the NSO app.

Bad news… Banjo-Kazooie’s title still isn’t fixed after the Mario Golf update. ._. Guess I’m submitting for feedback via the NSO mobile app.

Hmm... maybe contacting Microsoft will speed this process? Minecraft Steve's "meat" in Smash Ultimate was quickly fixed when someone showed to Phil Spencer lol

Maybe it's because Microsoft has to be contacted they have yet to correct the typo on the title.

Quoted by: Tye
Hmm... maybe contacting Microsoft will speed this process? Minecraft Steve's "meat" in Smash Ultimate was quickly fixed when someone showed to Phil Spencer lol

Maybe it's because Microsoft has to be contacted they have yet to correct the typo on the title.
I thought of that potentially being the reason for the holdup, yeah… Not sure what the best way to go about that would be, though. And I’m not gonna tweet at Phil Spencer myself, lol.

I was looking at some friends online and saw this...

image.png

why it's written in all lower case? WHO'S THE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?!

I was looking at some friends online and saw this...

image.png

why it's written in all lower case? WHO'S THE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?!
The box art and title screen logo for RE4 are all lowercase, so this is technically correct.
Yeah, I assume that’s just the way it’s officially stylized, like nintendogs.

Last edited:
Tweet at Phil Spencer, it seem to make a difference last time there was an issue with Microsoft property on a Nintendo sustem.
That’s kinda out of my comfort zone, personally, but anyone else here is welcome to help out if they want. =P I have been submitting feedback about it via the NSO app periodically, at least.

Still no title fix for Banjo-Kazooie with the Pokémon Snap update, unfortunately…

Slightly related but i just noticed in the NES app at some point Fire 'N Ice got a boxart update (sans the addiction warning label) replacing the previous title screen icon.

I hope they do the same for Alien Solider on Genesis. I don't mind title screens (and that might be a nice option to switch to) but the inconsistency bothers me next to boxarts.

Slightly related but i just noticed in the NES app at some point Fire 'N Ice got a boxart update (sans the addiction warning label) replacing the previous title screen icon.
It was fixed the next update after it was added (May 2021; added in February 2021). Funnily enough, the 2019 NES NSO build that leaked back in April was using the original box art with the warning label, so this is clearly something they changed their minds on a few times.

Frankly my preferred option would just be using the title screens, for perfect consistent dimensions. Even better if they add an option to hide the SP games in the NES and SNES apps like how you can hide the PAL versions in N64. The title screen images are already saved in the app for use in the details screens; it couldn’t be too hard to make a flag that swaps the image loaded to those. Would be nice if they just made custom box art for the few games that stand out too; there’s already a few in there with custom box art (Sin & Punishment, EarthBound Beginnings).

For Alien Soldier there shouldn’t even be an issue though; they can use the PAL Mega Drive box art no problem. In fact, being stuck with Genesis box art in an app with Mega Drive branding over here is one of the main reasons why i’d rather just use the title screens as the icons.

Guess what wasn’t fixed in the latest N64 NSO update? I don’t need to say it, you already know. XP

Guess what wasn’t fixed in the latest N64 NSO update? I don’t need to say it, you already know. XP
I have to say, this is one of the things I look forward to every NSO update. One day maybe it will be fixed and the celebration can begin.

Please let us have a plain black border ffs.

That default pattern looks terrible.

Also, let us edit controller inputs.

inb4 it gets fixed at the same time "Banjo Tooie" is added to the service.

Maybe they’re thinking “Well, we’ll fix it with Banjo-Tooie’s release. Why go back and add the hyphens now when we can do both at the same time?” It’s Nintendo instilling the “Work smart, not hard” mentality to their employees.

If anything, I’m guessing the reason for the title still not being fixed is due to Microsoft needing to sign off on it, which wouldn’t have been a factor with the other title that was changed (EarthBound Beginnings).

Maybe they lost Phil Spencer‘s number or the red tape to send a mail asking M$ for their input is ridiculous.

More than a year later and Banjo-Kazooie’s title still hasn’t been fixed, unfortunately…

They won’t update the N64 NSO app to fix a typo in a game’s title, but they will update the Game Boy NSO app to change…this:

And, like, I get it. The change probably came at the request of HAL, who seem to not want to describe Rick, Kine, and Coo as being literally those animals anymore (which makes sense for a number of reasons, so I understand that). Okay, fine, that’s just consistent brand management there. But you’d think, if they care about having something like that be corrected, that surely they’d fix a typo in a game’s title of all things, right?! Yet here we are…

I’m guessing nothing’s going to change unless Microsoft/Rare specifically requests it at this point. Someone needs to bug Phil Spencer or someone else prominent from Xbox and/or Rare about this. =P

Last edited:
Hey! I'm going to be starting EarthBound Origins soon and this is probably some useful information

...oh...

My favorite game and I never realized correct spelling is with hyphen!
I've been writing it wrong all these years.

Quoted by: Tye
My favorite game and I never realized correct spelling is with hyphen!
I've been writing it wrong all these years.
It’s right there in the logo!
Banjo_Kazooie_logo.png

Well, technically the logo is stylized with two hyphens to make it look more aesthetically pleasing with how the two names are oriented, but in plain text it’s always been officially written as “Banjo-Kazooie” with a single hyphen.

wait so it’s actually supposed to be

BANJO-
-KAZOOIE

?
Literally the post right above yours, lol:
Well, technically the logo is stylized with two hyphens to make it look more aesthetically pleasing with how the two names are oriented, but in plain text it’s always been officially written as “Banjo-Kazooie” with a single hyphen.

Wait, so Rick, Kine and Coo aren’t actually a hamster/fish/owl? Why?
Probably for the same reason King Dedede isn’t actually a penguin, I guess? They’re creatures of Popstar—ones that can use Copy Abilities alongside Kirby, at that.

It’s right there in the logo!
Banjo_Kazooie_logo.png

Since it's on both words I always assumed it was some kind of stylizing.

Back
Top Bottom