• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Covid 19 General Discussion Thread [ST]

Brawlz

Think you can take me?!
Pronouns
He/Him
I assume with Winter coming relatively soon and cases going up in some areas in the world, It might be a good idea to have a general Covid thread.

Here's a good place to check up on covid statistics worldwide:

If Mods/Admins want to add any extra information, please do so (Or if this thread was already created, delete it, but I did not see it)

Please get vaccinated

Goddamn, looking up the statistics only now I realise how much my country (Netherlands) is fucking up... wow. Being #21 on the total amount of cases on a worldwide scale for a country that is as small as ours is embarrassing.

Got booster priority a month ago due to being immunocompromised, so I guess I'm as protected as I can be. Thankfully my area has been pretty safe.

Living in NYC, things have been back to "normal" since the summer if you're vaccinated, as long as you carry a mask for the subway and some stores. I've had a half a dozen friends catch it after vaccination, so it's not 100% safe of course, but they seemed to recover quickly. So far things seem manageable and I hope they stay that way through the winter.

In my opinion the current state of things — you can do whatever if vaccinated, masks required indoors in some places — is the way we're going to live for the next few years. I don't see any politician relaxing the rules further.

Got my two pfizers and yesterday I got my seasonal flu shot. Should be well after that but I'm still very wary of going outside.

After a quiet summer, our incidence here in germany is going through the rooftop. We have over 50.000 new infections per day. It never was that bad as it is now. Happily, 67% are vaccinated and there chance of mild symptoms are good.

Sadly, we have 33% unvaccinated people. It really shocks me that every third person tend to believe myths or conspiracy theories over science. Sooo many people have more fear about the vaccination, where instead they should fear an infection.

Hope to get my booster vaccination this week from a mobile vaccination team. Thanks to our backwards politics, house doctors alone are overloaded with the third vaccination. And theres no Lockdown or anything that stop this fifth wave. So its better to prepare. People get infected left and right from me...

I still need to get my flu shot. Been putting that off for a couple of weeks lol.
My sister is a nurse so we went to the place she works at and she administered them herself so we kinda lucked out since we were told that the vaccine stock is low.

I visited a friend in San Francisco recently and I'm jealous of how it's handled there. Proof of vaccination is required to enter any bar or restaurant. Led to a 94% vaccination rate. I'm in Chicago which is at 80%+ so still good, but could be better.

I visited a friend in San Francisco recently and I'm jealous of how it's handled there. Proof of vaccination is required to enter any bar or restaurant. Led to a 94% vaccination rate. I'm in Chicago which is at 80%+ so still good, but could be better.

The county next door (in Washington State, USA) requires proof of vaxx for indoor dining and the like. My county does not. It is amazing how much of a difference that makes. Let's make it happen, people!

Related, one thing that really bugs me about this year is the degree to which USA has dropped the ball on regular / cheap / easy access to testing relative to some other countries. This would be a great opportunity to handle things better in the future. (Spoiler alert: we won't.)

The county next door (in Washington State, USA) requires proof of vaxx for indoor dining and the like. My county does not. It is amazing how much of a difference that makes. Let's make it happen, people!

Related, one thing that really bugs me about this year is the degree to which USA has dropped the ball on regular / cheap / easy access to testing relative to some other countries. This would be a great opportunity to handle things better in the future. (Spoiler alert: we won't.)
Just curious, how are people handled that simply cannot be vaccinated because they have an immune disease for example? Would they be falling through the cracks or are there ways for them to go to a restaurant for example?

Just curious, how are people handled that simply cannot be vaccinated because they have an immune disease for example? Would they be falling through the cracks or are there ways for them to go to a restaurant for example?

That's a great question. In most of the areas of US that have similar requirements, it's actually a requirement to show proof of vaccination or a recent, negative COVID test result.

So people who cannot get the vaccine can get tested and dine in or whatever, although that places an annoying, potentially expensive burden on people who legitimately CANNOT get vaccinated.

That's a great question. In most of the areas of US that have similar requirements, it's actually a requirement to show proof of vaccination or a recent, negative COVID test result.

So people who cannot get the vaccine can get tested and dine in or whatever, although that places an annoying, potentially expensive burden on people who legitimately CANNOT get vaccinated.
San Francisco specifically required proof of vaccination. So I have no idea what they do for people that cannot be vaccinated.

Could be worse, you could be in Florida, Texas or Mississippi

Wife just called me that she was able to get appointments for the Covid Booster shot with Pfizer/Biontech for both of us on December 13!

It's becoming difficult to find free appointments here in my region in Germany. Everyone's going crazy now and trying to get a booster asap. Wife and I had been trying to get appointments for this for 1 1/2 weeks already.

Kinda sad, this could've been organized way better and also way earlier ... but no, first our government gotta let the infection number skyrocket before something is done ...

Wife just called me that she was able to get appointments for the Covid Booster shot with Pfizer/Biontech for both of us on December 13!

It's becoming difficult to find free appointments here in my region in Germany. Everyone's going crazy now and trying to get a booster asap. Wife and I had been trying to get appointments for this for 1 1/2 weeks already.

Kinda sad, this could've been organized way better and also way earlier ... but no, first our government gotta let the infection number skyrocket before something is done ...

Glad to hear you got appointments!

I'm torn between trying to get a booster asap even though it's only been ~4.5 months and waiting another month when it sounds like by early January that vaccination efforts will have been massively scaled back again and it'll be frustrating to try and get again. The University I work at is only offering them up to the end of the year for the moment...

Glad to hear you got appointments!

I'm torn between trying to get a booster asap even though it's only been ~4.5 months and waiting another month when it sounds like by early January that vaccination efforts will have been massively scaled back again and it'll be frustrating to try and get again. The University I work at is only offering them up to the end of the year for the moment...

To be fair, we were able to get our first two shots early on in mid June, so mid of december is actually the end of the recommended 6 months timeframe.

German Stiko (vaccination comission) recommend since last week the booster for everyone 18 and above who had the first shots 5 to 6 months earlier.
So i'd say you're well into a good time if you manage to get a booster shot sometime in December.

Oh boy.....

Great, another mutation of significance, just what we needed.

Can't wait to have to cancel all my holiday plans and eat all the flight costs and spend another Christmas alone when it turns out this one is already way more widespread than we realised too.

(I know putting it this way sounds selfish, but damn am I frustrated. I am really worried about the people this will make sick too, I Swear!)

Great, another mutation of significance, just what we needed.

Can't wait to have to cancel all my holiday plans and eat all the flight costs and spend another Christmas alone when it turns out this one is already way more widespread than we realised too.

(I know putting it this way sounds selfish, but damn am I frustrated. I am really worried about the people this will make sick too, I Swear!)
Selfish is not getting the vaccine for some mind-warping reason. You did your part, your allowed to feel dissatisfaction with how things are going.

Imo of course.

Aaaaand the new variant has been found in Belgium. Great.
Oh not. My cousins recently moved there early in the year :(

It's pretty clear that basically we will have to be getting booster shots until the virus gets 'watered down' significantly. I think, anyway. I'm not a scientist lol

It's pretty clear that basically we will have to be getting booster shots until the virus gets 'watered down' significantly. I think, anyway. I'm not a scientist lol
I don't know if it's pretty clear. There are at least 3 Peer reviewed studies on the Lancet, science and nature , which says that natural immunity is basicly forever.
I can link it if it's allowed. If not, it's pretty easy to find. So I have natural immunity but my wife had her second booster. The first jab and second jab in Switzerland and the booster in Germany but she doesn't want another one. And alot of people in my family circle are starting to look at it negatively. If I wouldn't be infected I would have have a moderna shot but I am not so sure anymore. But it's like you said, we are not scientists.
What I mean is that I am not as convinced anymore as I was at the beginning of the pandemic.

I don't know if it's pretty clear. There are at least 3 Peer reviewed studies on the Lancet, science and nature , which says that natural immunity is basicly forever.
I can link it if it's allowed. If not, it's pretty easy to find. So I have natural immunity but my wife had her second booster. The first jab and second jab in Switzerland and the booster in Germany but she doesn't want another one. And alot of people in my family circle are starting to look at it negatively. If I wouldn't be infected I would have have a moderna shot but I am not so sure anymore. But it's like you said, we are not scientists.
What I mean is that I am not as convinced anymore as I was at the beginning of the pandemic.
I mean, you can link to a journal of course, but I would be extremely skeptical of any paper suggesting that "natural" immunity is permanent whereas vaccine obtained immunity, even from traditional vaccines like astra zeneca which use a inactive version of the virus, are only temporary.

(I am a scientist, lol)

I'm a college student, a handful of people in my classes are refusing to get the vaccine because they simply don't trust it hardly anybody wears a mask in my classes either. the unvaccinated people in my classes seem to be extremely vocal about not wanting to wear a mask-- it's insane.

(accidentally posted this with just the words "I'm a college student," my bad)

I mean, you can link to a journal of course, but I would be extremely skeptical of any paper suggesting that "natural" immunity is permanent whereas vaccine obtained immunity, even from traditional vaccines like astra zeneca which use a inactive version of the virus, are only temporary.

(I am a scientist, lol)
I think it's was on the lancet. The other one was published on science Magazin.

The nature one is an older study from last year. The one on science is from August.

I think it's was on the lancet. The other one was published on science Magazin.

The nature one is an older study from last year. The one on science is from August.

Ok, I read the summary of the first and the entire of the second, this isn't the ideal format but I the following are important points to note about these studies:

(1)Neither of these make a comparison between the level of immune response between individuals vaccinated for covid and those who caught it in the wild. So given this, I would hesitate for anyone to use these to conclude that vaccination is better or worse than a infection.

(2) Neither of them even make a statement that being exposed to it in the wild instead of being vaccinated will have any difference between the long term immune response. I have to stress the following, and I promise I'm being genuine.

Your immune system doesn't know what the difference is between a vaccine designed to mimick a virus, or the actual virus. It would be extremely odd for there to be a significant difference between the two.

(3) They do make comparisons with other non-covid vaccines, however, those were specific vaccines chosen for their known short lifetimes.

If anything, my interpretation of the results presented in these papers are effectively consistent with the same results we have seen from vaccination. You see a bit of a drop off from vaccination effectiveness after a few months (which is why boosters are now being recommended half a year later), and they saw a similar decrease in relative antibodies over the few months after infection. However, even in people without booster vaccines, they still have far, far better results in then being exposed to any of the current strains of COVID even a year later, than someone who wasn't vaccinated.

What these papers do show, is a measured mechanism that suggests that both vaccinated people and people infected, can expect at least a moderately long term immune response should they be unlucky and become (re)infected. One blunt way to see this is that, despite vaccination campaigns starting some ten months ago now, results for those early vaccinated people are still significantly better than people in the same age range who weren't.

My professional opinion as a scientist is that neither of these studies provide anything to suggest in any sense that skipping a booster vaccine would be a good idea, and I can't see anything in either of them that suggest the scientists who did those studies would even consider that as good advice. If you got the first two shots, you're probably still in a significantly better position than you would be otherwise. I would still strongly recommend that anyone reading this gets a booster vaccination if and/or when it is offered to them. I will personally be there asap when I pass 6 months after my 2nd shot , as will every single person in my research group, and I've not yet met a person in the wider research groups I interact with that will be doing any different. I'm not going to demand you do so or anything, but I really do think it would be a mistake to take from these that somehow a immune response to a direct infection would be in any way better.

My take on the current vaccines is that we're just throwing what seems to work at them. They weren't designed to prevent infection, but rather to prevent further complications that might result in hospitalizations and deaths. And it's clear that, for this purpose, they're working.

This is pretty much Generation 1 of vaccines for a virus we don't quite fully understand yet. Better engineered vaccines will come with time, and while that happens we still need to take all precautions necessary.

I caught it from my little bro last year, took the J&J vax in April, and had my flu shot a couple weeks ago. I'm probably going to get my booster sometime this week.

Stay safe, everyone. Hopefully this Omicron variant isn't that bad.

At this point, it isn't coming, but it is surely already there, and South Africa was simply the first country to identify and sequence it. If the high transmission rate suggested by South Africa's numbers stays true and is not a data anomaly because of the low transmission levels they had, then it would explain a lot. Since it could give an explanation to the recent spikes seen by the New England & Great Lakes states.

Of course it's already everywhere, people are testing for covid, it's still a form of covid, once you know to go looking for it you'll find it in your covid results.

No one is going to take this seriously, not this close to Christmas and not with the jab shenanigan's that we've already gone through. Plenty of people were fed up that "get vaccinated to be cured" became "take half yearly boosters to maybe have less symptoms".

We are back to half arsed measures here with Boris saying masks have to be worn on public transport and in shops but not in hospitality so every fuckwit in a pub is fine to spread it.

Ok, I read the summary of the first and the entire of the second, this isn't the ideal format but I the following are important points to note about these studies:

(1)Neither of these make a comparison between the level of immune response between individuals vaccinated for covid and those who caught it in the wild. So given this, I would hesitate for anyone to use these to conclude that vaccination is better or worse than a infection.

(2) Neither of them even make a statement that being exposed to it in the wild instead of being vaccinated will have any difference between the long term immune response. I have to stress the following, and I promise I'm being genuine.

Your immune system doesn't know what the difference is between a vaccine designed to mimick a virus, or the actual virus. It would be extremely odd for there to be a significant difference between the two.

(3) They do make comparisons with other non-covid vaccines, however, those were specific vaccines chosen for their known short lifetimes.

If anything, my interpretation of the results presented in these papers are effectively consistent with the same results we have seen from vaccination. You see a bit of a drop off from vaccination effectiveness after a few months (which is why boosters are now being recommended half a year later), and they saw a similar decrease in relative antibodies over the few months after infection. However, even in people without booster vaccines, they still have far, far better results in then being exposed to any of the current strains of COVID even a year later, than someone who wasn't vaccinated.

What these papers do show, is a measured mechanism that suggests that both vaccinated people and people infected, can expect at least a moderately long term immune response should they be unlucky and become (re)infected. One blunt way to see this is that, despite vaccination campaigns starting some ten months ago now, results for those early vaccinated people are still significantly better than people in the same age range who weren't.

My professional opinion as a scientist is that neither of these studies provide anything to suggest in any sense that skipping a booster vaccine would be a good idea, and I can't see anything in either of them that suggest the scientists who did those studies would even consider that as good advice. If you got the first two shots, you're probably still in a significantly better position than you would be otherwise. I would still strongly recommend that anyone reading this gets a booster vaccination if and/or when it is offered to them. I will personally be there asap when I pass 6 months after my 2nd shot , as will every single person in my research group, and I've not yet met a person in the wider research groups I interact with that will be doing any different. I'm not going to demand you do so or anything, but I really do think it would be a mistake to take from these that somehow a immune response to a direct infection would be in any way better.
Of course. I was just giving the reason of why I am not taking it since I have still immunity and here in Switzerland we get our covid certificate (covid pass) for 12 month if you were infected. I have my covid certificate until October 10th of 2022. I guess the reason they give a 12 month covid certificate for people who recovered is that the Swiss health department thinks that it's on par with the vaccine. As mentioned my wife is vaccinated but she starts to get a little hesitant and starts being annoyed of the booster situation. That's all I wanted to say. I haven't said once that people shouldn't take vaccines. And I never will.

At this point, it isn't coming, but it is surely already there, and South Africa was simply the first country to identify and sequence it. If the high transmission rate suggested by South Africa's numbers stays true and is not a data anomaly because of the low transmission levels they had, then it would explain a lot. Since it could give an explanation to the recent spikes seen by the New England & Great Lakes states.
The Botswana Goverment stated that the first people who got tested positiv for the new variant were people from outside Africa who were on a diplomatic mission. So the media portraying the virus originating in from Africa is weird, not fair and inaccurate. I have the statement but I don't know how to post Screenshots here.

Real talk, no matter how fast a country is in detecting a new variant, by the time they have it signed and sealed that it is indeed a new variant, it's likely already spread to other countries.

----

The Mrs. was able to get earlier Booster appointments for both of us, so we're going to get the Booster ... tomorrow morning!

Though it just dawned us that this might result in a very stressful friday if we're both knocked out by it (which might happen), yet have to function like responsible adults for the whole day.

I think i have to call my mother if she would take the kids for the day. ^^

Seems like we got universities in New York City adding booster mandates for their spring semesters. Definitely a good thing, since cases are spiking. I wonder how things will be going forward - stuff has been tough and Omicron isn't making things better.

I feel like I just see peoples' horror stories about their experiences with the vaccine. So, here's mine.

After having COVID-19 last November, I was quick to sign up for the vaccine when it became available in April, then scheduled for a booster once it was recommended for everyone 18 and up. With all three shots, (Pfizer) my side effects included a sore arm, and... that's it.

All I'm saying is, it's not bad for everyone. Get your vaccines/boosters. And if you need to, talk to your doctor.

Last edited:
I's been decided. We have a hard lockdown in the Netherlands until the 14th of january. which means:
  • Only essentail shops can open
  • schools, cafés and restaurants are closed off

...mew :(

Yes it's necesary but still a bummer.

But the Netherlands is 73.5% fully vaccinated? No way is it finding unvaxxed people to jump between and if it's spreading amongst the vaccinated then it's always going to spread making a lockdown last forever?

Here in the UK former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn's brother is telling people to go burn down their MP's offices to stop any lockdown.

But the Netherlands is 73.5% fully vaccinated? No way is it finding unvaxxed people to jump between and if it's spreading amongst the vaccinated then it's always going to spread making a lockdown last forever?

Here in the UK former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn's brother is telling people to go burn down their MP's offices to stop any lockdown.
We might be +70% vaccinated here, but no booster yet, so not enough for protection against the Omikron variant, which spread at an alarming rate. So a lockdown is the best prevention at the moment while people getting their booster.

And about Corbyn's brother? I can understand a lockdown is no fun but telling people to burn down MP's offices? You gotta be outta your damn mind doing shit like that.

We might be +70% vaccinated here, but no booster yet, so not enough for protection against the Omikron variant, which spread at an alarming rate. So a lockdown is the best prevention at the moment while people getting their booster.

And about Corbyn's brother? I can understand a lockdown is no fun but telling people to burn down MP's offices? You gotta be outta your damn mind doing shit like that.
Ahh I see, google said "Fully vaccinated" not that it was 2 jabs not boosters (I thought it was quick to roll out that many boosters)

He's been arrested. not sure what will happen though, go burn down a building is vague enough to not be harmful. "Hey everyone meet at this location at this time to destroy this building" and I'd agree with punishment.

Back
Top Bottom