• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic College Football 2022 |ST| Now You're Playing with the Power Five!

Just got home. We beat an FCS team 56-0! Woooooooooo!

Other thoughts looking at the scores.
LOL Notre Dame
LOL Wisconsin
Almost LOL Bama

At the time of writing, Nebraska and Indiana are on LOL alert.

Wife is happy! Cougs looked like shit on offense but defense was lights out. All of my TAMU buddies are in disbelief. Teams need to stop paying App State over a million to beat them. What’s funny is my other good friend from college went to App State and lives in Houston next to my TAMU friends.

Huskies offense looks multidimensional finally. A little worried the defense hasn’t been tested so corners could be shaky against MSU.

Georgia is far and away the best team.

Scott Frost is gone.

His buyout was going to be reduced by half at the beginning of October, so pulling the trigger now was apparently worth an extra 8 million.

Wonder what’s next for Nebraska now.

AP Top 25 is out:

1. Georgia (53)
  2. Alabama (9)
  3. Ohio State (1)
  4. Michigan
  5. Clemson
  6. Oklahoma
  7. Southern California
  8. Oklahoma State
  9. Kentucky
  10. Arkansas
  11. Michigan State
  12. Brigham Young
  13. Miami
  14. Utah
  15. Tennessee
  16. North Carolina State
  17. Baylor
  18. Florida
  19. Wake Forest
  20. Ole Miss
  21. Texas
  22. Penn State
  23. Pittsburgh
  24. Texas A&M
  25. Oregon
Others receiving votes: Marshall (85), Cincinnati (80), Appalachian (80), Kansas State (77), North Carolina (71), Mississippi State (43), Florida State (42), Oregon State (42), Minnesota (37), Washington State (30), Notre Dame (23), Air Force (19), Texas Tech (17), Wisconsin (7), Auburn (4), Iowa State (4), Purdue (1).

Oregon has clawed its way back in, Wisconsin and Notre Dame fall out, Purdue still gets a vote, and Georgia jumps Bama for Number 1.

Josh's Week 2 recap:

• Texas could have won that game. They left too many points on the field.
  • Ok seriously, this entire exchange in the Bama/Texas game was hilarious.
  • Three top ten teams lost, making this a blood week!
  • Notre Dame isn't getting ranked for the rest of the year.
  • Florida's future looks brighter than two weeks ago, but they aren't back.
  • Appalachian St took A&M's money, win, and Gameday visit all in one day. Impressive.
  • El Assico was just like we expected.
  • The Scott Frost era is over. Nebraska couldn't wait any longer to save money on the buyout.
  • Week 3 will probably be less exciting.
  • I am still pissed that Illinois lost last week to Indiana. They could easily be 3-0 right now.

Kind of a meh week for big games today, which is fine by me since I’ve got family stuff to go to and won’t be able to watch too much. Would love to see Nebraska somehow pull off the Oklahoma upset after losing Scott Frost. A little concerned about Syracuse (Purdue are 2 point underdogs already and we’ll be down our main running back and one of our key defenders).

I would comment on the events of today, but Purdue has killed me, and the referees have desecrated my body.

New AP poll:

As of September 18th, 2022:

1: Georgia (59)
2: Alabama (3)
3: Ohio State (1)
4: Michigan
5: Clemson
6: Oklahoma
7: USC
8: Kentucky
9: Oklahoma State
10: Arkansas
11: Tennessee
12: NC State
13: Utah
14: Penn State
15: Oregon
16: Ole Miss
17: Baylor
18: Washington
19: BYU
20: Florida
21: Wake Forest
22: Texas
23: Texas A&M
24: Pittsburgh
25: Miami

Others receiving votes: Michigan State 91, Florida State 85, Appalachian State 77, North Carolina 72, Washington State 62, Cincinnati 52, Oregon State 49, Minnesota 48, Kansas 23, Syracuse 7, LSU 6, Wisconsin 4

Josh's very late week 3 recap.

• Not a very eventful week, as I predicted previously.
  • Until other teams prove themselves, it is Georgia, Bama, Ohio St, and everyone else.
  • The Big Ten is really looking like feast or famine. I'm not sold on Penn St but after Ohio St and Michigan, there is definitely a big drop off.
  • That Syracuse/Purdue game was wack, but pour one out for @WestEgg
  • A lot of good games coming up this weekend!

Good morning Football Folks! Getting into conference season, and some pretty good match ups today. Can’t believe it, but Iowa is probably on heavy upset alert against Rutgers, and Minnesota at Michigan State is probably the most interesting match up for today. We’ll see if IU can hold on to their streak, and it’s looking likely Purdue will be without their star QB this week, so I’m now sweating a bit for that game.

I’ll take the win, but Purdue is in danger of becoming Nebraska this year. Dear Lord let’s hope Aiden O’Connell gets healthy soon and our defense learns to not collapse in the 4th quarter.

AP Poll is up

RANKTEAMTRENDPOINTS
1Georgia (4-0)-1,565 (55)
2Alabama (4-0)-1,487 (4)
3Ohio State (4-0)-1,483 (4)
4Michigan (4-0)-1,354
5Clemson (4-0)-1,311
6USC (4-0)+11,236
7Kentucky (4-0)+11,127
8Tennessee (4-0)+31,119
9Oklahoma State (3-0)-1,081
10North Carolina State (4-0)+2920
11Penn State (4-0)+3876
12Utah (3-1)+1760
13Oregon (3-1)+2727
14Ole Miss (4-0)+2691
15Washington (4-0)+3657
16Baylor (3-1)+1550
17Texas A&M (3-1)+6543
18Oklahoma (3-1)-12529
19BYU (3-1)-482
20Arkansas (3-1)-10457
21Minnesota (4-0)-288
22Wake Forest (3-1)-1265
23Florida State (4-0)-244
24Pittsburgh (3-1)-209
25Kansas State (3-1)-166

Others receiving votes:
Kansas 125, Cincinnati 60, Florida 56, Washington State 31, Syracuse 22, Oregon State 16, Texas Tech 11, North Carolina 9, LSU 7, UCLA 3, Tulane 3, TCU 1

Josh's (once again late) Week 4 thoughts:

• Tennessee might be for real, but they have a gauntlet in October (Kentucky, Bama, Georgia)
  • Is it too early to pencil in Minnesota as the Big Ten West champs?
  • Most of the top ten struggled in some way this week. No one really stuck out.
  • Wazzu really chocked a chance to be ranked.
  • Welcome back to the Top 25 Florida St.
  • Very good slate this week with five different top 25 matchups, including three that are pitting 4-0 teams against each other. There will be a shake up in the rankings.

Josh's Week 5 recap

• Congrats to Kansas on hosting Gameday this upcoming week.
  • The B1G West and ACC Costal suck. Like, they really suck. Neither division has a ranked team.
  • There are thirty P5 teams with one loss or less. IMO, there are a lot of teams close in strength, especially after the top 3.
  • For the first time this millennium, the Red River Shootout will be between two unranked teams.
  • Mizzou, why tease us like that?
  • RIP Colorado's Head Coach
  • Thank you for your time in the Top 25 Florida State. Have a good season.
  • Time to start the Jimbo buyout clock?
  • How about Mel Tucker at MSU?
  • I don't know if anyone is paying attention, but Illinois is 4-1......

Last edited:
New AP Poll

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Ohio State
  4. Michigan
  5. Clemson
  6. USC
  7. OK State
  8. Tennessee
  9. Ole Miss
  10. Penn State
  11. Utah
  12. Oregon
  13. Kentucky
  14. NC State
  15. Wake Forest
  16. BYU
  17. TCU
  18. UCLA
  19. Kansas
  20. Kansas State
  21. Washington
  22. Syracuse
  23. Miss State
  24. Cincinnati
  25. LSU
Others receiving votes:
Washington State 91, Baylor 88, Florida State 78, Arkansas 76, James Madison 39, Florida 37, Maryland 25, Coastal Carolina 17, Minnesota 14, Tulane 9, Illinois 6, North Carolina 5, Texas A&M 4, Purdue 2, Oklahoma 2.

Looks like the cowards finally ranked Kansas! Purdue continues to confound me (as is tradition) but hey they're back in the race for the Big Ten West and getting some votes! Looks like so are the Illini, we may have a consequential game for the Cannon this year, @Josh5890 .

Edit: Oh Snap, Wisconsin fired Paul Chryst

Last edited:
New AP Poll

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Ohio State
  4. Michigan
  5. Clemson
  6. USC
  7. OK State
  8. Tennessee
  9. Ole Miss
  10. Penn State
  11. Utah
  12. Oregon
  13. Kentucky
  14. NC State
  15. Wake Forest
  16. BYU
  17. TCU
  18. UCLA
  19. Kansas
  20. Kansas State
  21. Washington
  22. Syracuse
  23. Miss State
  24. Cincinnati
  25. LSU
Others receiving votes:
Washington State 91, Baylor 88, Florida State 78, Arkansas 76, James Madison 39, Florida 37, Maryland 25, Coastal Carolina 17, Minnesota 14, Tulane 9, Illinois 6, North Carolina 5, Texas A&M 4, Purdue 2, Oklahoma 2.

Looks like the cowards finally ranked Kansas! Purdue continues to confound me (as is tradition) but hey they're back in the race for the Big Ten West and getting some votes! Looks like so are the Illini, we may have a consequential game for the Cannon this year, @Josh5890 .

Edit: Oh Snap, Wisconsin fired Paul Chryst

For a minute I thought that Minnesota was going to run away with it, but yeah. The Big Ten West is going to be a dog fight lol.

Josh's Week 6 recap:

• This week it was A&M's turn to break out hearts.
  • Most of the Top 10 flirted with their subordinates for a while but ended up winning fine.
  • Oklahoma is the new Nebraska.
  • Notre Dame should play more games in Vegas.
  • That Illinois-Iowa game was sloppy (and I'm putting it nicely).
  • Oregon seems like a team on a mission.
  • Next week is legit. Three games between undefeated Power 5 teams (too bad Utah couldn't make it four).

New AP poll is out

1. Georgia
  2. Ohio State
  3. Alabama
  4. Clemson
  5. Michigan
  6. Tennessee
  7. USC
  8. Oklahoma State
  9. Ole Miss
  10. Penn State
  11. UCLA
  12. Oregon
  13. TCU
  14. Wake Forest
  15. NC State
  16. Miss State
  17. Kansas State
  18. Syracuse
  19. Kansas
  20. Utah
  21. Cincinnati
  22. Kentucky
  23. Texas
  24. Illinois
  25. James Madison

Others receiving votes:
North Carolina 98, Baylor 91, Coastal Carolina 61, BYU 61, Notre Dame 58, Florida 56, Tulane 42, Purdue 34, Florida State 18, South Carolina 12, Washington State 10, Minnesota 5, Maryland 4, LSU 4, San Jose State 1

Kansas remains ranked 19th despite a tough loss, Texas absolutely beatdown Oklahoma, Penn State continues to look sneaky good and might cause some trouble for the Big Ten East front runners, the Illini are ranked, and the Big Ten West looks to now be between Minnesota, Illinois, and Purdue (though Nebraska and Wisconsin have also begun showing some signs of life). Big game next week for the Gophers and Illini.

Season is halfway over! Time for my Week 7 re-cap:

• Rocky Top!
  • Heck of a week. Four top 10 teams fell. There will definitely be a shake up in the polls today.
  • Big 12 and Pac 12 saw their playoff hopes take a big crap this week. Now each team only has TCU and UCLA left undefeated respectfully.
  • Speaking of the Pac 12, kudos to Utah for the comeback and gutsy win.
  • Thank you for playing Penn St. Enjoy the rest of your season.
  • Clemson needs to take care of Syracuse and they will coast into the playoffs.
  • A long way to go, but the SEC is setting themselves up for a minimum two teams in the playoffs this year.
  • Ok, I think Illinois is for real. @WestEgg November 12th is looking more and more exciting!
  • One more time, ROCKY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
Lastly, since we are halfway through, here is how I see the playoff race.

Controls their own destiny:
Ohio St
Georgia
Clemson
Tennessee
Bama
Ole Miss
TCU
UCLA
Illinois
Syracuse

Needs help but still can get in if they win out:
USC
Oklahoma St
Oregon
Kansas St
Penn St
Wake Forest
North Carolina

Week 8 AP Poll (Ocotber 16th) Credit to u/itnotnews92 from r/cfb for the table!

RankTeamTrendPoints
1Georgia (7-0)-1,530 (31)
2Ohio State (6-0)-1,509 (17)
3Tennessee (6-0)+31,474 (15)
4Michigan (7-0)+11,384
5Clemson (7-0)-11,336
6Alabama (6-1)-31,232
7Ole Miss (7-0)+21,173
8TCU (6-0)+51,166
9UCLA (6-0)+21,048
10Oregon (5-1)+2953
11Oklahoma State (5-1)-3913
12USC (6-1)-5861
13Wake Forest (5-1)+1790
14Syracuse (6-0)+4751
15Utah (5-2)+5715
16Penn State (5-1)-6629
17Kansas State (5-1)-599
18Illinois (6-1)+6433
19Kentucky (5-2)+3414
20Texas (5-2)+2368
21Cincinnati (5-1)-321
22North Carolina (6-1)-210
23NC State (5-2)-8155
24Mississippi State (5-2)-8150
25Tulane (6-1)-115
Others receiving votes:

Purdue 95, LSU 87, UCF 13, South Carolina 13, Kansas 12, James Madison 7, Oregon State 6, Maryland 5, South Alabama 4, Liberty 2, Arkansas 1, Minnesota 1, Florida State 1

Dropped out:

No. 19 Kansas

No. 25 James Madison

My general thoughts:

Rocky Top wanted Bama and got 'em! Any week where Notre Dame gets upset is a good week. RIP Ranked Kansas, you had a good run.

This is the part where I talk about Purdue:

We hopefully will not have as bad of a mismatch for our Secondary as Trey Palmer of Nebraska gave us last night. I'm a bit used to the offense stalling and us having to be bailed out by the defense (like with Maryland last week), but this was the exact opposite. AOC is a legit superstar when under pressure, and Mockabee is finally, FINALLY giving us a semblance of a run game. For now we hold on to the tied-lead of the Big Ten West, and we'll have to overcome a decades long win draught against Wisconsin in Madison to stay in that position. I'm nervous about this game despite Wisconsin having a down year, some wounds are deep. I might make it over to Champaign for the Cannon Game against the Illini if that does end up being the de facto Big Ten West playoff game. You run a tailgate, @Josh5890 ?

Bonus: Let it be (they do this when a play is under further review)

Double Bonus:

Last edited:
Some Japanese college football, love the energy of the commentators.

New AP Poll:

1-Georgia

2-Ohio St

3-Tennessee

4-Michigan

5-Clemson

6-Bama

7-TCU

8-Oregon

9-Okla St

10 (tie) USC

10 (tie) Wake

12-UCLA

13-Penn St

14-Utah

15-Ole Miss

16-Syracuse

17-Illinois

18-LSU

19-UK

20-Cincinnati

21-UNC

22-KSU

23-Tulane

24-NC St

25-SCarolina

Other receiving votes: Texas 38, Liberty 35, Oregon State 25, Mississippi State 10, Maryland 8, Troy 3, UTSA 1, Arkansas 1, Washington 1, Florida State 1

Not much to say this week, other than Purdue shot themselves in the foot in the first quarter of the Wisconsin game and couldn't catch back up, incredibly disappointing and the losing streak continues. Really happy for the upcoming bye week.

New AP Poll:

1. Georgia (8-0)
2. Ohio State (8-0)
2. Tennessee (8-0)
4. Michigan (8-0)
5. Clemson (8-0)
6. Alabama (7-1)
7. TCU (8-0)
8. Oregon (7-1)
9. USC (7-1)
10. UCLA (7-1)
11. Ole Miss (8-1)
12. Utah (6-2)
13. Kansas St (6-2)
14. Illinois (7-1)
15. LSU (6-2)
16. Penn St (6-2)
17. N Carolina (7-1)
18. Oklahoma St (6-2)
19. Tulane (7-1)
20. Wake Forest (6-2)
21. N Carolina St (6-2)
22. Syracuse (6-2)
23. Liberty (7-1)
24. Oregon St (6-2)
25. UCF (6-2)

Others receiving votes:

Texas 58, Kentucky 57, Maryland 36, Cincinnati 32, Notre Dame 24, Washington 12, Arkansas 11, Baylor 9, Coastal Carolina 8, Florida State 8, Troy 7, Mississippi State 5, Boise State 4, East Carolina 2, South Carolina 2, Louisville 1, UTSA 1

I didn't really watch any games this week since Purdue was on bye. Don't see a tie for #2 too often, huh.

The wheels are coming off on Purdue’s season. We may not win another game.

Sorry I've been a stranger. Let's get back up to speed here.

• Georigia is the team to beat
  • Ok look, Saban isn't finished. This is just a bad year for them.
  • Clemson hasn't been eliminated, but they need help.
  • The hopes of the B12 are on TCU's back.
  • Pac 12 has a lot of scenarios, and three teams are still in line for a potential playoff spot.
  • Big Ten could get two teams in the playoffs. Gotta see how OSU and Michigan play out.
Ok @WestEgg, yesterday was a disappointment for both of our teams. But hey, this weekend is for first play in the Big Ten West and the inside track to Indy. Let's hope for a great game!

The wheels are coming off on Purdue’s season. We may not win another game.
Well this didn't age well. The Big Ten West remains fight club, and the path to victory seems to look like this for the remaining contenders:

Iowa- Win Out, Illinois gets a loss.
Purdue- Win Out, Iowa gets a loss.
Illinois- Win Out, Purdue gets a loss.
Minnesota- Win Out, Purdue and Illinois get a loss
The Rest- Probably out of reach. Probably.

Looks like I'm rowing the boat next week, and Minnesota will likely be favored at home against Iowa, but I won't get my hopes up for Purdue playing in Indy until after the Old Oaken Bucket is firmly secured back in West Lafayette.

Last edited:
Another week in the books. Not a lot of upsets, but a couple of teams were "eliminated" from the postseason.

• Illinois sucks.
  • Pac 12 took a huge hit with Oregon and UCLA losing. It is all up to USC now.
  • TCU keeping the dream alive!
  • Goodbye Ole Miss.
  • Jimbo Fisher should be in witness protection.
  • Clemson was the big winner this week.
  • Next weekend's games are so-so at best.
  • @WestEgg Boiler Up........

Another week down, and it sure did end up being an unexpectedly interesting one. MORE LIKE ROCKYFLOP AMIRIGHT? Half the top teams had their own scares (dang, almost had a legendary one there, @Josh5890 ). With Minnesota continuing to never do anything good for the universe and rolling over for the Hawkeyes, Iowa probably has the west locked up now, barring an unexpected upset from Nebraska. So Purdue likely won't be playing for the west, but it's still Bucket Week, and honestly while Indiana did show some life against MSU, I feel like Purdue has been a better team on the road all year so I'm hoping good Purdue shows up this year in Bloomington and keeps the Old Oaken Bucket where it belongs.

A little late, but let's talk shop!

• Hoping the best for Hooker after that ACL tear.
  • Statement Saturday? More like Survivor Saturday!
  • @WestEgg and I are big Nebraska fans come Friday. After that, it is every man for themselves.
  • At this point, Georgia, Ohio St, Michigan, TCU, and USC control their own destiny. Clemson needs help and LSU needs a prayer.
  • LOL Tennessee
  • Hell of an ending for TCU!
  • Who is ready for the Big Game?

Ahem…

IT’S BUCKET WEEK FAMI! BOILER UP, BEAT THE HOOSIERS!

1355911354.0.jpg

Okay, feel free to go about the rest of your day.

It has been so long since USC-Notre Dame has been a true showcase matchup.

The last big game I remember is the famous competition from 2005, when Reggie Bush got a generous push into the end zone. When it happened, I was walking around Ironforge with my level 20-something Night Elf Hunter, Kylios. The General Chat was alight with banter about the contest, with many alleging BS that a shove kept the dream of a "Three-Pete" alive.

I guess I'm getting old.

You absolutely love to see it.

Bring on the Wolverines

I have to admit being a little salty because I wanted my default team, Illinois, to have another crack at Michigan.

Alas, we squandered that. Godspeed.

I’m not a college football fan whatsoever, but I always root against OSU when they play Michigan. Buckeyes fans in this state are simply obnoxious. Plus, Tommy boy was a Wolverine so I have a special place in my heart for them. You love to see OSU lose to Michigan two years in a row.

Watching the Pac-12 Championship and USC is looking pretty fantastic. They'll assumedly punch their tickets to the playoffs if they win, and I think they could be a tough draw.

Edit: AHAHAHAHA, WELP! GG UTES! And congrats to the buckeyes as well I suppose.

Last edited:
Some final thoughts on the (pre-bowl) season.

While there were a lot of missed opportunities and games I would like back, I'm overall very proud of what Purdue accomplished this season. Back to back 8 win regular seasons, clinching the Big Ten West for the first time, and playing in the conference championship (and looking pretty good for about half of it to boot against the #2 team in the country!) are all things that would have been a pipedream during the Hazel era. Once again, we're playing a pretty hyped and talented SEC Team, this time in the Citrus Bowl, and while I expect we'll be underdogs again, I think we could repeat what we did last year and give them a hell of a game.

Last thought is that, with the coaching carousel started by Wisconsin firing their coach and poaching Cincinatti's, there is once again an opening at Louisville, Jeff Brohm's home and alma mater. I hope he stays with Purdue, but I also recognize he may have already played his last game, we'll just have to see how it turns out. I think he's definitely put Purdue in a better place over the last 6 years or so, and whether he stays or goes, I think the program will be attractive for both new staff and recruiting talent.

Back
Top Bottom