• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic College Football 2022 |ST| Now You're Playing with the Power Five!

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
FamiCFST.png

Welcome to Famiboard's first College Football ST! I hope a few of you will join me in the thread each week for the 2022 Football Season! Here I will try to keep this thread up to date with the latest information of the ongoing football season, including the AP Top 25 rankings, highlighted games of the week, and any other big stories. Note that this thread will primarily focus on FBS football teams, and most especially those in Power Five conferences, but feel free to talk about teams and games at any level!

FBAPT25.png.png

As of October 30:

1. Georgia (8-0)
2. Ohio State (8-0)
2. Tennessee (8-0)
4. Michigan (8-0)
5. Clemson (8-0)
6. Alabama (7-1)
7. TCU (8-0)
8. Oregon (7-1)
9. USC (7-1)
10. UCLA (7-1)
11. Ole Miss (8-1)
12. Utah (6-2)
13. Kansas St (6-2)
14. Illinois (7-1)
15. LSU (6-2)
16. Penn St (6-2)
17. N Carolina (7-1)
18. Oklahoma St (6-2)
19. Tulane (7-1)
20. Wake Forest (6-2)
21. N Carolina St (6-2)
22. Syracuse (6-2)
23. Liberty (7-1)
24. Oregon St (6-2)
25. UCF (6-2)

Others receiving votes:

Texas 58, Kentucky 57, Maryland 36, Cincinnati 32, Notre Dame 24, Washington 12, Arkansas 11, Baylor 9, Coastal Carolina 8, Florida State 8, Troy 7, Mississippi State 5, Boise State 4, East Carolina 2, South Carolina 2, Louisville 1, UTSA 1

FBUG.png

Week 10​

Tuesday, Nov. 1

Ball State at Kent State | 7 p.m. | ESPNU
Buffalo at Ohio | 7:30 p.m. | ESPN2

Wednesday, Nov. 2

Central Michigan at Northern Illinois | 7 p.m. | ESPNU
Western Michigan at Bowling Green | 7 p.m. | ESPN2

Thursday, Nov. 3

UTEP at Rice | 7 p.m. | CBSSN
Appalachian State at Coastal Carolina | 7:30 p.m. | ESPN

Friday, Nov. 4

UMass at UConn | 7 p.m. | CBSSN
Duke at Boston College | 7 p.m. | ESPN2
No. 24 Oregon State at Washington | 10:30 p.m. | ESPN2

Saturday, Nov. 5

Air Force vs. Army (Arlington, Texas) | 11:30 a.m. | CBS
No. 2 Ohio State at Northwestern | 12 p.m. | ABC
Kentucky at Missouri | 12 p.m. | SEC Network
No. 17 North Carolina at Virginia | 12 p.m. | ACC Network
No. 19 Tulane at Tulsa | 12 p.m. | ESPNU
Florida at Texas A&M | 12 p.m. | ESPN
Western Kentucky at Charlotte | 12 p.m. | CBSSN
Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech | 12:30 p.m. | ESPN3
South Florida at Temple | 2 p.m. | ESPN+
Marshall at Old Dominion | 2 p.m. | ESPN+
Georgia State at Southern Miss | 3 p.m. | ESPN+
Middle Tennessee at Louisiana Tech | 3 p.m. | ESPN+
No. 2 Tennessee at No. 1 Georgia | 3:30 p.m. | CBS
No. 22 Syracuse at Pitt | 3:30 p.m. | ACC Network
Washington State at Stanford | 3:30 p.m. | Pac-12 Network
West Virginia at Iowa State | 3:30 p.m. | Big 12/ESPN+
New Mexico at Utah State | 3:30 p.m. | CBSSN
UTSA at UAB | 3:30 p.m. | Stadium
No. 23 Liberty at Arkansas | 4 p.m. | SEC Network
South Alabama at Georgia Southern | 4 p.m. | ESPN+
FIU at North Texas | 4 p.m. | ESPN+
Troy at Louisiana | 5 p.m. | ESPN+
Texas State at UL Monroe | 5 p.m. | ESPN3
No. 6 Alabama at No. 15 LSU | 7 p.m. | ESPN
UNLV at San Diego State | 7 p.m. | CBSSN
Houston at SMU | 7 p.m.
No. 4 Michigan at Rutgers | 7 p.m. | Big Ten Network
No. 5 Clemson at Notre Dame | 7:30 p.m. | NBC/Peacock
South Carolina at Vanderbilt | 7:30 p.m. | SEC Network
Auburn at Mississippi State | 7:30 p.m. | ESPN2
James Madison at Louisville | 7:30 p.m. | ESPNU
Florida State at Miami (Fla.) | 7:30 p.m. | ABC
No. 20 Wake Forest at No. 21 NC State | 8 p.m. | ACC Network
Cal at No. 9 USC | 10:30 p.m. | ESPN
Hawai'i at Fresno State | 10:30 p.m. | FS2
Colorado State at San Jose State | 10:30 p.m.
Texas Tech at No. 7 TCU
No. 8 Oregon at Colorado
No. 18 Oklahoma State at Kansas
No. 10 UCLA at Arizona State
No. 16 Penn State at Indiana
Arizona at No. 12 Utah
Michigan State at No. 14 Illinois
Navy at Cincinnati
Texas at No. 13 Kansas State
Baylor at Oklahoma
Minnesota at Nebraska
Iowa at Purdue
Maryland at Wisconsin
BYU at Boise State
No. 25 UCF at Memphis

Here's a discord for CFB discussion if you are interested in joining! Note this is not officially associated or endorsed by Famiboards, but it has some familar faces hanging around: https://discord.gg/Uxkgj4Bw

Buckle up Fami, it's a good time for Football!

Chargin' Chuck (Concept) - Giant Bomb

Last edited:
Go Hoos! Armstrong for Heisman and the first overall pick! He'll need all the nanomachines he can get to withstand the beating he'll take behind our debacle of an offensive line this season.

Which I know contributes nothing to the conversation and I wasn't going to post, but I like the idea of the first two posts being about ACC schools, and neither one being Clemson or FSU.

Well, if we're going to stan our teams...

Hey Fami, not sure who to cheer for this season? Not particularly attached to any school, but want to get in on the fun? Well, let me ask you a couple questions:

Do you like trains?

Do you like very large drums?

Then you will LOVE

THE PURDUE BOILERMAKERS!!!

Playing in historic Ross-Ade Stadium in beautiful West Lafayette, Indiana, the Purdue Boilermakers are the perpetual boogeyman of the Big Ten. Jeff Brohm's squad has made waves in recent years, defeating the #2 and #3 ranked teams in the nation just last year, and are looking to build on their success following a thrilling win against the Tennessee Volunteers in last season's Music City Bowl. While the team has lost several of its recent star players, they return an improved defensive unit, several veteran receivers, and former walk on turned dark horse Heisman candidate Quarterback Aiden O'Connell. With a light schedule this year, many see this as a solid candidate to win the west division of the Big 10 this year, though given the team's penchant for rising to beat giants and then stumbling over mediocre teams, perhaps this isn't the blessing it appears.

So why should you cheer for the Boilermakers?

Well, they say you should go big or go home, so why not cheer for the team with the biggest mascot in college football, The Boilermaker Special!

06_Boilermaker_Main.jpg

This majestic train travels with the team and proudly displays the hats of its vanquished foes in the teeth of its cow catcher. Oh, is this not the mascot you heard of? Perhaps you were thinking of... him?

boiler-up.gif

Purdue Pete was originally the mascot of the University Book Store near campus, but has since become the unofficial mascot of the program, and has been voted as often creepy or terrifying to small children. The children are right to be afraid. When the black magiks align and Pete hungers for chaos, miracles happen. No one is safe. He's ruined the dreams of championship hopefuls before, and he will do so again.

And who can forget the Purdue All-American Marching Band? One of the best marching bands in the nation, and especially well known for the self proclaimed World's Largest Drum*. Aside from dutifully accompanying the sports teams wherever they may go, this band is also the home band of the Indianapolis 500 motor race!

boiler-football-boiler-up.gif

Who else has the composure to deal with this crap with such grace? (Warning swearing)

"Hey man, I'm just here to play music." By the way, Purdue did win this game.

Closing thoughts: The first game of the season is coming up in one week against Penn State. Purdue is a slight under dog, as Penn State is a historic conference powerhouse, even if they have down the last few years. This will be a chance to see if the Boilermakers can contend with the big dogs of the conference, so a win would be huge, but I'll be happy so long as they play well. Anyway, I thank you all for indulging in my silliness, and look forward to this season. I'll be posting lots of pictures in this thread I think.

Boiler up!

*Purdue's Big Bass Drum, often given the moniker "World's Largest Drum" was given this designation when it was originally cast and considered the largest drum of its kind when constructed. Another drum, Big Mo' from Missouri contest the title, but as they declined Purdue's invitation to compare them directly, the title remains.

Last edited:
So, I have family ties to Penn State, but if I promise to root for Purdue in that game, can I get UVa one of those coveted Big Ten invites?

The good thing about being a Pitt fan like Brock is that no matter what happens, even if they never win another game and the program goes bankrupt and folds, it doesn't matter because the 2007 Backyard Brawl happened and nothing can change that.

Going to be watching Nebraska and Northwestern playing in Ireland today. Northwestern is supposed to be still pretty bad this year, but Scott Frost’s Nebraska is very talented at finding ways to lose, so this may turn out to be an interesting game.

Going to be watching Nebraska and Northwestern playing in Ireland today. Northwestern is supposed to be still pretty bad this year, but Scott Frost’s Nebraska is very talented at finding ways to lose, so this may turn out to be an interesting game.
I… wasn’t wrong.

Go Washington! It’s a reset year after the disaster of last year, but I want to at least kick the ass of those traitorous Trojans (and the stupid Ducks). Also for my wife, Go cougs!

After the chaos that was the last few months with realignment, it was nice to see college football again. Go Illini! Can't wait to see week 1, starting Thursday.

Also, LOL Nebraska.

Who you rooting for Josh? Northwestern as a Chicagoan? Illini?

I pretty much root for all Big Ten teams as a mid-westerner. Illinois gets the slight edge over Northwestern but it is rare to see both schools hot so I generally go with the better team on any given year.

There are a few other teams that I will tend to root for if they were big when I started watching CFB back around 2000 like Oklahoma and FSU. As a Catholic I am required to root for Notre Dame as well.

Last edited:
Currently at a tailgate! Boiler up, beat the Lions!

I liked the part where Virginia Tech lost.
Lol. Always liked ODU since I collaborated on some graduate school research with them in northern Virginia. Let’s see how you do against the Spiders (not sure how bad they are at football lol)

Sometimes you just gotta ride those Ohio State/Michigan coattails to a nice paycheck.
Yeah. Had USC not been shit for a decade, the PAC might be in a much better situation. Instead they bolt and we are left dealing with the mess Larry Scott left. I guess the only good thing is in 20 years the Midwest will have hemorrhaged more population so the western schools will look more appealing.

Once the playoff expands, the top six ranked conference championships get automatic spots. So let all the good schools go to just two conference. Make the ACC as weak as possible. I will help Clemson, FSU, and Miami pack their bags. Would UVa win an ACC that's even weaker than it already is? No, but the chance goes from 0.1% to a full 1%!!!! (Though I will still VERY happily accept a Big Ten or SEC invite. Come on, we offer so much. Do we have fans? No, but we do have 10 lacrosse championships between the men and women, and we offer an easy win in football every year.)

Once the playoff expands, the top six ranked conference championships get automatic spots. So let all the good schools go to just two conference. Make the ACC as weak as possible. I will help Clemson, FSU, and Miami pack their bags. Would UVa win an ACC that's even weaker than it already is? No, but the chance goes from 0.1% to a full 1%!!!! (Though I will still VERY happily accept a Big Ten or SEC invite. Come on, we offer so much. Do we have fans? No, but we do have 10 lacrosse championships between the men and women, and we offer an easy win in football every year.)
Kind of annoying that one of the 12 spots is basically going to be earmarked for Notre Dame every year.

Exactly. Oregon and Washington are better served staying in the PAC now

Feel bad for the East Carolina kicker. Missed PAT to tie and then missed kick that would have won it.

East Carolina is my joke favorite. I never expect them to win, but I keep tabs on them. Their defense played a fantastic second half, all to lose it on a kick.

I liked the part where Virginia won. I disliked the part where we looked terrible doing it against the 24th ranked FCS team. It's gonna be another long season.

I also disliked the part where the ACC looked bad. Something we contributed to.

Anyway, Nebraska is tied with North Dakota right now.

I liked the part where Virginia won. I disliked the part where we looked terrible doing it against the 24th ranked FCS team. It's gonna be another long season.

I also disliked the part where the ACC looked bad. Something we contributed to.

Anyway, Nebraska is tied with North Dakota right now.
The Big Ten West isn't looking great this year so far, which is kind of comforting.

Also oooof Oregon. Apologies, Bill Trinen.

The Big Ten West isn't looking great this year so far, which is kind of comforting.

Also oooof Oregon. Apologies, Bill Trinen.
Every year that I continue to think Oregon will be good makes me more and more of a boomer.

"You young'uns don't understand! Oregon used to be elite! They were so cool that some people (not me) even pretended that the debacles Nike made them wear looked good!"

Every year that I continue to think Oregon will be good makes me more and more of a boomer.

"You young'uns don't understand! Oregon used to be elite! They were so cool that some people (not me) even pretended that the debacles Nike made them wear looked good!"
Yet no national championships (says the Huskies fan even though they’ve owned the Dawgs for 2 decades basically).

Yet no national championships (says the Huskies fan even though they’ve owned the Dawgs for 2 decades basically).
Tell your commissioner to get the Pac-12 Network on the east coast. I want to watch the Battle of the Palouse for one (1) hour before watching Boise State at Oregon State. 😤

Tell your commissioner to get the Pac-12 Network on the east coast. I want to watch the Battle of the Palouse for one (1) hour before watching Boise State at Oregon State. 😤
Lol. I love me some PNW matchups. Pullman is a pretty fun place to visit for a game too.

Family ties in SEC and Big 10 country.

Sadly, it’s Arkansas and Illinois.

I went to Southern Illinois University. So, no investment there.

My only real rooting interest is chaos. Bring on the 12 team playoff.

Family ties in SEC and Big 10 country.

Sadly, it’s Arkansas and Illinois.

I went to Southern Illinois University. So, no investment there.

My only real rooting interest is chaos. Bring on the 12 team playoff.
Loved me some Salukis when they had those NCAA tourney runs. Not exactly close but had family in Quincy, so spent a lot of time in southern Illinois.

This week's rankings are out:

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Ohio State
  4. Michigan
  5. Clemson
  6. Texas A&M
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Notre Dame
  9. Baylor
  10. USC
  11. Oklahoma State
  12. Florida
  13. Utah
  14. Michigan State
  15. Miami
  16. Arkansas
  17. Pitt
  18. NC State
  19. Wisconsin
  20. Kentucky
  21. BYU
  22. Ole Miss
  23. Wake Forest
  24. Tennessee
  25. Houston
Others receiving votes:
Oregon 131, Penn State 122, Texas 118, Cincinnati 63, Florida State 42, Fresno State 22, UCF 22, Minnesota 22, Kansas State 18, Auburn 15, Mississippi State 10, Air Force 8, Oregon State 5, North Carolina 3, South Carolina 2, Purdue 1, UCLA 1, Arizona 1

Oregon did indeed fall all the way out, and Georgia leapfrogged Ohio State for #2. Oh, and Purdue still got a single vote, so that's nice.

Last edited:
Josh's Week 1 recap:

• It is Bama, Georgia, Ohio St, and then everyone else.
  • The Pac 12 has been eliminated from the CFB Playoff discussion.
  • Iowa sent college football back ten years with their performance Saturday.
  • The state of Florida had a really good weekend, but I'm not convinced that any of them are serious players just yet.
  • The ACC did not look strong, but all of the big names are still undefeated.
  • Illinois still has a long way to go.
  • FSU/LSU was a beautiful mess.
  • RIP the duck.

Josh's Week 1 recap:

• It is Bama, Georgia, Ohio St, and then everyone else.
  • The Pac 12 has been eliminated from the CFB Playoff discussion.
  • Iowa sent college football back ten years with their performance Saturday.
  • The state of Florida had a really good weekend, but I'm not convinced that any of them are serious players just yet.
  • The ACC did not look strong, but all of the big names are still undefeated.
  • Illinois still has a long way to go.
  • FSU/LSU was a beautiful mess.
  • RIP the duck.
Hold up. We have USC, Washington, Wazzu, and ASU playing against some top 15 teams out of conference still. Plus Arizona plays Mississippi state. Now I don’t think any of those teams win out, but still possible. Plus Oregon state and usc play against a Fresno State team that’s probably better than half the Pac-12 and should be ranked by the end of the season. But two of the three top chances are done basically (though I could see Utah sneaking in if they win out convincingly and Florida stays ranked all year.

But pac 12 is definitely screwed once USC leaves unless the football investment really takes off. Should have tried to get Baylor and Oklahoma state last year at a minimum when the big 12 was tie for poaching (to be clear, I want the traditional conference to remain but that ship seems to have sailed).

Back
Top Bottom