• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Coffee/ Tea |ST| Nectar of the Gods

1upmuffin

Sand Pounder
Community Liaison
Hello! I'm a big coffee/tea fan so wanted to make a thread for it.

Coffee: I drink light/medium roasts, and am definitely a cream and sugar kinda guy. I do not have an electric coffee machine so I do pour-overs pretty much every day. I have a French Press as well but have not used it yet, though I'd like to.

Tea: Black Tea, Oolong, and Green are my favorites. A good spiced tea is nice (chai), English breakfast always a classic, and just getting into Oolong now. Got a fancy Japanese tea set from my parents I'd like to start using once I get some loose leaf oolong.

Coffee I drink pretty much daily, tea is a nice afternoon thing on some days.

Two cups of medium roast black coffee, with a few ounces of oat milk mixed in. That's my daily dose.

I used to drink far too much coffee, but nowadays caffeine doesn’t quite agree with my stomach so I try to stick to decaf. I’ll usually have the proper stuff if I’m out at a cafe or something though. I always have it black, no sugar and I prefer a dark roast - usually I’ll have two cups of decaf in the morning.

I’m not quite as into tea as you might expect with me be being British and all…Again, the caffeine disagrees with me. I do have a cup of English breakfast tea every now and again though, and I’ma fan of lemon or mint tea on an evening.

I'm a savage so my go-tos are Douwe Egbert's instant coffee and Yorkshire Tea.

If I feel like being fancier though I do love chai. Coffee wise I'm not super fussy, never used to like it black but these days my tastes have changed and I love it now.

Found a favorite in Seattle's Best Toasted Hazelnut. Nothing fancy. Add a bit of unsweetened almond milk and a couple of artificial sweeteners and I'm set.

My little Mr. Coffee makes exactly 21oz, so it's perfect for my stainless tumbler.

If anyone has a brand/flavor/bean they'd recommend that is widely available in the US, send them my way. Always up for something new.

I always drink 1 or 2 cups of green tea a day since it's very healthy. Sometimes coffee or ice coffee but mostly a tea guy.

I always drink 1 or 2 cups of green tea a day since it's very healthy. Sometimes coffee or ice coffee but mostly a tea guy.
Need to go back to Green Tea too. Too much coffee (no matter how good it is) for the last few weeks.
Really shows how stress and too much shit to handle has an impact on your daily life and what you eat/drink.

Still have some half-shade Kabuse Shinchafirst picking from Kagoshima and a Motimoto Sencha from Miyazaki

I drink way too much coffee, an embarrassing to quantify amount. Always back, I prefer dark and some medium roasts, but I'm not picky. I like pour over makers for their simplicity and easy cleaning (which is my least favorite part of a French press). Black tea is also fantastic in my book, sometimes with honey.

I don't drink tea much, but I find myself highly susceptible to tea brainwashing. If anything I'm watching or playing brings up tea, I'm making tea. Great Ace Attorney being the latest culprit. Persona 5 and coffee have the same effect. Something about the atmosphere of Leblancs just gets to me.

Although I love coffee, I hardly drink it as much as I love it. If it's a standard coffee from the grocery store, I'll add a little bit of milk and sugar. If it's a good, fresh roast, I'll drink it black.

My favorite beans usually come from Africa. Tanzanian Peaberry is my jam. I just recently bought a bag of Girls Run the World of the Gorongosa Park in Mozambique, and it's pretty great as espresso (plus it's direct trade and goes to a good cause).

Anyone here have an espresso setup?

I probably drink too much coffee, because when I don’t have it I’m exhausted. I would definitely like to drink less of it but it’s haaard.

I’m not picky, I usually just get beans at Trader Joe’s which are cheap and taste totally passable to me. I used to drink it black, but these days I put in a splash of half & half since the dentist told me it helps with coffee stains on your teeth.

Hey, nothing wrong with either of these! I'd perhaps be less inclined to go for Douwe Egbert's, but it's certainly not your worst option for coffee (especially instant). As for Yorkshire Tea, that's some of the only tea that's acceptable in my books!

I have a fully automatic bean-to-cup espresso machine (Melitta) that I feed in medium-dark blends from local roasters for a single espresso most mornings and a café crème or Americano on lie-in days. It's also great in summer for iced oat lattes and affogato.

I also have a very retro single serve filter machine (a beige and brown Melitta Aromaboy) that I use with lighter supermarket single origins.

Tea-wise I've got a Hario glass teapot that I think is designed for green tea with a giant mesh filter but I use it as my tea for one pot. For sharing I recently bought a London Tea Company country farmhouse 6-cup. It's pleasantly brown and holds a ludicrous amount of tea warm for an hour or so. In both pots I usually drink Earl Grey or rooibos loose. It's an English breakfast teabag if I'm pushed for time in the morning and don't fancy coffee.

The other tea I mainly drink before bed is Yogi Men's Tea. It's quite savoury with a hint of curry (!?) and cologne but honestly it works. I recommend trying it if you don't mind bagged tea and it's stocked at your local health food shop.

Ain't nowt wrong with Yorkshire Tea.
If anything I'm watching or playing brings up tea, I'm making tea. Great Ace Attorney being the latest culprit. Persona 5 and coffee have the same effect.
I have fond memories of playing Broken Sword as a wee lad and not being old enough to crack open a can of beer, resorting to a bottle of Bass Shandy from the local corner shop to accompany me and Mr Stobart's little dalliance in an Irish pub.

I drink 2 ~250ml cups of coffee every morning usually before 12:00PM.

I typically make pour over with a Torch Mountain Dripper using Kalita Wave filters or a Moka Pot if I’m feeling like an espresso. Bean wise, I like light roast with floral/fruity tones and I use my Baratza Encore burr grinder which I got about a year ago. For pour over my typical ratio is 1:15-1:16, but I prefer to just say 15g of coffee for 250ml of water.

Wife works for Starbucks so get beans for free which is nice. We also have an espresso machine so I do double shot latte of some kind every day. Usually it’s minimal sweetness and trying to experiments with my own syrups. Also been doing oat milk iced quite a bit. If I do drip it’s usually in a tillable pod in the keurig we got years ago. Should probably do pour over as we usually get the more unique roasts.

If it’s tea I’m strictly earl grey and often use those with steamed milk and vanilla lavender simple syrup I’ve made.

I always drink at least 1 cup of black coffee after lunch, otherwise my brain stops functioning which is bad during workdays lol. Doesn't help that I love robusta beans to the point the savage me often drink the whole cup in one gulp. I also drink earl grey tea once/twice per week especially in winter.

I don't drink coffee. It tastes yucky and makes me sleepy.

Tea however, I love. The main tea I drink right now is a Lady Gray a la creme. So pretty much an earl gray with vanilla and other flowers.

Wife works for Starbucks so get beans for free which is nice. We also have an espresso machine so I do double shot latte of some kind every day. Usually it’s minimal sweetness and trying to experiments with my own syrups. Also been doing oat milk iced quite a bit. If I do drip it’s usually in a tillable pod in the keurig we got years ago. Should probably do pour over as we usually get the more unique roasts.

If it’s tea I’m strictly earl grey and often use those with steamed milk and vanilla lavender simple syrup I’ve made.

The weekly markouts made sure I didn't buy coffee when I worked there. It's a shame they dialed back their in-store offerings, though. Willow was my jam for markout. But if I'm being completely honest, the Reserve roasts are truly where it's at. Understandably we couldn't mark those out, but every year I bought a bag of the Christmas Reserve and either Hawai'i Ka'u or Jamaica Blue Mountain.

I'm pretty basic when it comes to coffee. Dunkin' Donuts Hazelnut K-Cup with French Vanilla Coffemate. 😅

I make a pot of Folgers French Vanilla every day and drink most of it through the morning and into the early afternoon. I'm too much of a zombie in the morning for anything more involved than brewing a quick pot of pre-ground coffee, I just need a cup in my hands fast to kick me into gear.

I also started drinking peppermint tea recently since it's apparently good for people for IBS. It hasn't helped me any but it does taste nice. I've also tried chamomile tea in the past on the advice of a friend but I wasn't into it.

Tea however, I love. The main tea I drink right now is a Lady Gray a la creme. So pretty much an earl gray with vanilla and other flowers.
I may need to try this sometime. I wanna try different tea kinds and am more of a sweet tea or adding sugar to my tea person.

I may need to try this sometime. I wanna try different tea kinds and am more of a sweet tea or adding sugar to my tea person.
I can't drink tea without some kind of sweetness. Whether that be honey or sugar. Tea is wonderful and I recommend getting into it. There are so so many different blends.

I can't drink tea without some kind of sweetness. Whether that be honey or sugar. Tea is wonderful and I recommend getting into it. There are so so many different blends.
I actually forgot I had a tea website bookmarked. I prefer teabags myself personally. I just need a sweetness in my tea be it sugar too.

Black only here. Dark roast. No reason to dilute or take away from what it should be.

Any good black but slightly sweet pre-made coffee to help me get passed the nightmare of waking up another day for work?

I actually forgot I had a tea website bookmarked. I prefer teabags myself personally. I just need a sweetness in my tea be it sugar too.
Teabags are definetly easier to start out with. Looseleaf takes a bit more work because you have to have the right tools for straining.

Regular coffee drinker here! Highlight of the morning :)

I don't have a coffee machine though, so I use instant coffee (coffee powder) which isn't as good but it's what I got. Normally, I go all black, but with instant coffee, I'm kinda forced to have some sugar in it.

Last edited:
I only started drinking coffee about a month before the pandemic hit. Been working from home since last March. We picked up a Lelit espresso machine a while back and it's a god send. I drink, on average, a flat white a day maybe two. But yeah I love it now. I also really enjoy making flat whites/cortados/lattes. Really nice 5/10 minute break from work.

Tea, I love too but mostly in the colder months. Just Irish breakfast tea, usually the Kenya blend, with a drop of milk and no sugar or sweeteners.

Coffee here, 5-6 cups every morning until noon. Have a coffee machine but been playing with a french press and grinding up my own beans every now and again. Much prefer light roasts, maybe medium. Usually have a splash of flavored creamer, which right now is pumpkin spice.

Teabags are definetly easier to start out with. Looseleaf takes a bit more work because you have to have the right tools for straining.
I am just so used to using teabags personally. I even have made tea in my mom's coffee pot using teabags just fine!
Regular coffee drinker here! Highlight of the day :)
I can't drink coffee unless it is black and has sugar in it.

I've gone off the deep end, both with coffee and tea.

I love brewing coffee from light roasted coffee beans; in particular beans from Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda. Most often I use a V60 dripper because for my tastes that produces better coffee than Aeropress. Never tried Kalita through. For grinding beans I use a Baratza Vario which I purchased for its ability to grind for pour over as well as for espresso shots.

Making espresso is something I can't muster patience for anymore, but I still have an Elektra Micro Casa a Leva which is an awesome spring-lever Italian espresso-machine. Nowadays I just get my fix from a local coffee bar.

Tea is something I really discovered last year, I purchased some samples from a store that supplies restaurants as well as a tea maker and was instantly addicted. I got really into green tea and oolong and searched far and wide for the highest quality leaves I could find. Turns out my favorite tea is longjing, but it's so expensive that it can make specialty coffee look affordable.

I simplified and got rid of a lot of my coffee tools. I stick to a couple V60s pour overs, and sometimes a french press. That's pretty much it, outside of the grinder. Beans-wise I get a bag delivered from a local shop once a month, and sometimes use YesPlz if I want to try different things (I can get you a bag for free via referral if anyone's interested!).

I'm not much of a connoisseur in terms of having specific things I like, but I drink a sick amount of coffee (a lot of it instant for space and convenience). I do have an aeropress and a cold-brew jug/strainer thing though and when I can be bothered with the clean-up I'll make it properly.

In terms of tea I go through anything and everything. Sometimes I go through maltier phases (stuff like Assam), sometimes smokier (I really like lapsang souchong). Black teas make me feel sick on an empty stomach though, so I've been drinking less and less as time's gone by. I got addicted to both oolong and hojicha for a while too (both hot and cold) and have been meaning to pick some more up.

Oh, and matcha! We actually have bowls and a whisk for it and everything. I am dreadful at getting a good froth/foam, however.

I believe the life cycle of a coffee and tea drinker end up the same. They start with the lighter stuff early on. As they grow older, more tired, they need stronger drinks to pick them up in the morning. The drinks get darker and darker. Eventually, neither tea nor coffee will cut it and both types of drinkers end up chugging down motor oil in the morning stuff to feel alive.

I believe the life cycle of a coffee and tea drinker end up the same. They start with the lighter stuff early on. As they grow older, more tired, they need stronger drinks to pick them up in the morning. The drinks get darker and darker. Eventually, neither tea nor coffee will cut it and both types of drinkers end up chugging down motor oil in the morning stuff to feel alive.
In terms of coffee, quite the opposite. Lighter roasts actually have more caffeine than darker roasts. The coffee seed when green contains a significant dose of caffeine. As the bean is roasted, caffeine actually breaks down and is cooked out. The more roasted, harsher flavors of dark roast are only an illusion of having more caffeine.

Just now ordered some holiday teas to try. i don't have a cool fancy teamaker though so got em in teabags. I usually put a few in a 20oz or so glass and add sugar.

Didn’t used to be able to make french press coffee due to more time pressure in the morning, but we retired the basic drip machine and got an electric kettle.

Now, on the off days when we try to drink drip coffee, it tastes like nothingness.

I’ve just got myself an aeropress and I’m loving it so far. It’s great for when I just want one cup of coffee (I no longer have to try to make just one p worth my filter machine), and the coffee tastes much better too!

I honestly just make a single cup of tea most of the time anymore. I want to buy one of those tea things, but generally make sweet tea in a normal pitcher. If it was different teas like I bought recently I'd use an actual tea maker.

We got a tea kettle and a coffee machine (both grounds and K-cups), so as the weather gets colder we'll probably start using them. I'm usually not a coffee guy but I got some K-cups of french vanilla, so maybe next month I'll make some of those. We've got a whole drawer full of teas that we've been going through, since my wife signed up for a subscription box thing last year.

We got a tea kettle and a coffee machine (both grounds and K-cups), so as the weather gets colder we'll probably start using them. I'm usually not a coffee guy but I got some K-cups of french vanilla, so maybe next month I'll make some of those. We've got a whole drawer full of teas that we've been going through, since my wife signed up for a subscription box thing last year.
Yes, that is it. We had a tea kettle but it got thrown out for some reason.

I got myself a Coffee Advent Calendar from Drop Coffee this year, it was quite expensive to import from Stockholm but having 24 light roast coffees (sealed bags of 35gr each) from a renowned roaster seemed like the best gift I could give to myself. I'm on the 4th coffee now, and I always grind quite coarse, use a V60 and pour a half liter of 90 degrees Celcius water,

I was hoping to see a coffee/tea ST. :)

Watching this now from the best Coffee expert on YT:

Tea - Earl Grey with milk

Coffee - Espresso (usually home-ground Lavazza red, occasionally something fancier) with hot milk and hot water

I think I'm healthier with no coffee at all, but usually drink 1-2 cups per day

After all these years, I've changed a lot as a person. I've grown, I've learned, I've matured. Despite all that, I still love coffee.

Back
Top Bottom