• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data CESA 2022 Nintendo million sellers, updated numbers for Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 1/2, and more

It sold 420k last year, it would have to sell that much again for the next 3 years to reach 5 million
Why it would stop selling in 3 years, especially when this year FE3HW has released which will boost the sales of the game. 5M is probably the ceiling of it’s legs but not impossible neither it has to be done in 3 years, FE3H has shown to be an evergreen for JRPG standards and will keep selling slowly

NSMBU DX, 3D World/Bowser's Fury, and 3D All-Stars combine for over 30 million. Kinda crazy for three remasters (with a little help from Bowser's Fury). Add in Odyssey and Mario platformers are over 50 million sold on the Switch alone.

I know it's Mario, but sometimes I need that perspective lol. What a juggernaut.

Turns out the 'Awakening' in Fire Emblem Awakening referred to Nintendo fans finally waking up to a good franchise. Three Houses probably making 4 million is so good.

So between Wii U and Switch Tropical Freeze is at around 7 million, not too bad. Also, those are good enough sales to ensure a Captain Toad 2 right? RIGHT?!?!?

This is staggering really. We are having niche spin-offs almost guaranteed to be selling 1 million in the first 3 months of release. The switch is a juggernaut. Not sure they will ever maintain this sort of software sell in again, but digital changes the game in a lot of ways for the big N. Just mind blowing.

if im not mistaken it sold almost the same amount in 2020 if not less. Assuming it is on a relatively equal level it should have surpassed 4 million by a few months ago.

Its not easy ofc but its not hard either. Even then, if it ''only'' reaches 4,5 million that would still be a marvelous milestone for nintendo's b ips who went from 1 million if lucky to reaching 4,5 million.

FE sold 820K in 2020. It's definitely going to be hard for FE to hit 5M, nothing is impossible, but to maintain a relative high 400k for a JRPG/SRPG for 4 straight years in total would be a massive task. Or even having a longer tale but lower sales would be just as hard.

But as you say - going from a very niche game to a JRPG juggernaught is helluva journey after have being a franchise for so long is very very cool

Mario Maker 2 suffers from same logic as Mario Strikers and Switch Sports. Of course they bombed because "no one" ever talks about it so of course it sold horribly. Doesn't matter they sold millions in a short amount of time, the fact "no one" talks about them online means they did horribly. It's the only logical conclusion to come to in their minds.

Did any nintendo boxed release not reach 1M at all ?

I can only remember two retail releases offhand.

81KECtiGbtL._SL1500_.jpg

81kPALL3XrL._SL1500_.jpg

Not saying that it's happening but I can definitely see why Nintendo would bring Donkey Kong back in-house. The series seems to have a lot of untapped potential.

Nintendo clearly have plans for DK given his role in the Mario Movie + the additions to Universal Studios, so bringing the DK games back in-house would make a degree of sense. Usually the DK series has the same issues as other Ninteno franchises in that it doesn't have a significant driving force behind them pushing for new games, so they rely on their external(ish) teams to do that for them. Maybe that's changed recently however. Either way, with sales like that Nintendo would be silly to sit on the franchise for much longer.

All Labo Kits except for Variety, right? Unless those don't count?
Also since Octopath is in this, aren't Daemon X Machina, Triangle Strategy, Dragon Quest XI S and Builders etc the same deal? With Nintendo handling Worldwide publishing on the Switch? Did none of those hit 1 million?

Last edited:
Published in all regions? Only a very small handful:
  • Snipperclips Plus (we don’t know if they count this separately from the original eShop version)
  • Bayonetta (we don’t know how they’re tracking the digital codes included in the Bayo 2 physical)
  • Sushi Striker
  • Nintendo Labo Robot Kit
  • Nintendo Labo Vehicle Kit
  • Nintendo Labo VR Kit
  • Tetris 99 (physical version)
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power
  • Buddy Mission BOND (remains Asia only so no shot at 1m)
There are plenty more from the selection of third-party games Nintendo have published in different regions though (also Famicom Detective Club had a physical exclusive to Japan). Most notable out of them, i’d say, is Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. All the other Nintendo Warriors games on Switch passed 1m worldwide (Age of Calamity is the only one to do it in Nintendo published regions alone) except that one.

Published in all regions? Only a very small handful:
  • Snipperclips Plus (we don’t know if they count this separately from the original eShop version)
  • Bayonetta (we don’t know how they’re tracking the digital codes included in the Bayo 2 physical)
  • Sushi Striker
  • Nintendo Labo Robot Kit
  • Nintendo Labo Vehicle Kit
  • Nintendo Labo VR Kit
  • Tetris 99 (physical version)
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power
  • Buddy Mission BOND (remains Asia only so no shot at 1m)
There are plenty more from the selection of third-party games Nintendo have published in different regions though (also Famicom Detective Club had a physical exclusive to Japan). Most notable out of them, i’d say, is Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. All the other Nintendo Warriors games on Switch passed 1m worldwide (Age of Calamity is the only one to do it in Nintendo published regions alone) except that one.
Yeah, Wariors Games are kinda Fast Food, and most of the hardcore fans had their portion with the Wii / 3DS release. Going back into the grind when the second one was release was kinda...eh.

Is this for real? Why would they be so angry? Were they afraid the dev build would be leaked? It's not like modders haven't added Nintendo characters to PlayStation games before.
I don't know, maybe they thought it was disrespectful or something? It's also possible that Nintendo rejected the deal for any other motive but because the rejection apparently happened shortly after the demo presentation people connected the dots and assumed that it was the only reason.

Damn, Bandai Namco is definitely making bank on the Switch. Now, if only they could put more of their titles on the system day 1...

Not saying that it's happening but I can definitely see why Nintendo would bring Donkey Kong back in-house. The series seems to have a lot of untapped potential.
Look what Nintendo and HAL have done with Kirby when they actually showed some ambition. If Kirby can hit 4.5m in 3 months then DK can do even better because DK has historically been a bigger IP and more popular character than Kirby.

Last edited:
You ever just think about how everyone considers Mario Maker 2 a failure even though it's sold close to 8 million units?
It's fascinating tbh. Lots of people projecting their own disappointment in what the sequel is and isn't.

While still forgetting despite that, this is on the Switch vs Wii U lol.

You ever just think about how everyone considers Mario Maker 2 a failure even though it's sold close to 8 million units?
I'm certainly eating a lot of crow about it. It's gonna clear 10 million pretty easily.

The increase for Mario Tennis Aces is also pretty wild, tbh.

NSMBU DX, 3D World/Bowser's Fury, and 3D All-Stars combine for over 30 million. Kinda crazy for three remasters (with a little help from Bowser's Fury). Add in Odyssey and Mario platformers are over 50 million sold on the Switch alone.

I know it's Mario, but sometimes I need that perspective lol. What a juggernaut.
Mr. VideoGame himself does it again!

DK. A Million Unit Seller? I've never been less surprised. Mainline DK always sells well. The problem is that Nintendo is bad at capitalizing on the series and keeping the momentum going.

I'm glad Super Mario Maker 2 is actually doing great!

I was wrong about this game possibly struggling and underwhelming in the long run, but it was mostly thanks to Nintendo ending support so quickly... I wonder if they regret that decision now?

"Ending support, not in the visible rankings... so did something happen?"

I think that was a fair thought process, even though it was totally off base.

I'm glad that it was too, I really want the Maker series(not limited to just Mario) to be a thing for a long time, it still feels like a largely untapped premise imo.

This is why we could really use a wider account of how Nintendo's Switch games are selling overall. There's just too many of the same evergreens in the top twenty, that you end up with this warped fan expectation that everything that doesn't immediately push through doing 20 mil+ is some level of failure.

And then all the speculating and hypothesizing about what personal pet peeves about the games that aren't charting led to them "failing" when they haven't even failed at all. It's just a huge constantly repeating... mess, ngl.

This info tho? This is like doomerism disinfectant. I love it.

The Switch continues to prove itself a vigorously healthy software ecosystem where even whacky niche stuff like LABO, Mario Kart Live, and Game Builder Garage can crack the milllion sellers club.

It's especially gratifying to see Astral Chain over a million; as a new IP and a Platinum title it faced an uphill battle, but it managed to overcome, and deservedly so. Fantastic game.

I think generally Nintendo first-party has knocked it out of the park in the Switch/Shinya Takahashi era. Lots of series are covered and treated well on Switch. But Donkey Kong is absolutely a massive oversight, and the Tropical Freeze numbers we see here solidify that.

Mario Maker 2 suffers from same logic as Mario Strikers and Switch Sports. Of course they bombed because "no one" ever talks about it so of course it sold horribly. Doesn't matter they sold millions in a short amount of time, the fact "no one" talks about them online means they did horribly. It's the only logical conclusion to come to in their minds.

MM2 suffers because it launched pretty barebones and felt vastly inferior to the Wii U original in pretty key ways, with the additions being a mixed bag of good to horrible (the online). It didn't fix almost any of the issues the U game had while also putting the game behind an online paywall to boot. Some of the stuff they added much later was cool, but I consider the overall project a failure in contrast to what it could have been, even if it has managed to sneak out a good haul overall. It's still a 'infinite Mario' concept that got beat down by Luigi's Mansion for example, as well as being obliterated by a port of a Wii U 2d Mario game that had no fanfare when it hit. MM was one of the biggest Wii U success stories, so the curve is definitely against it, I really hope they do a third game and really knock the concept out of the park because it deserved so much better than it got.

MM2 suffers because it launched pretty barebones and felt vastly inferior to the Wii U original in pretty key ways, with the additions being a mixed bag of good to horrible (the online). It didn't fix almost any of the issues the U game had while also putting the game behind an online paywall to boot. Some of the stuff they added much later was cool, but I consider the overall project a failure in contrast to what it could have been, even if it has managed to sneak out a good haul overall. It's still a 'infinite Mario' concept that got beat down by Luigi's Mansion for example, as well as being obliterated by a port of a Wii U 2d Mario game that had no fanfare when it hit. MM was one of the biggest Wii U success stories, so the curve is definitely against it, I really hope they do a third game and really knock the concept out of the park because it deserved so much better than it got.

Mario Maker 2 sold almost two times the units than the WiiU version did. Granted, the potential attach rate is much bigger in the Switch, but it's not that far from other iterative sequels like Splatoon 2 which is an incredible sucess story (x2,7 times more). What I don't think is fair is to compare any mainline Mario game to a level editor like Mario Maker, they are targetting a different user base. And from that perspective, If Mario Maker has had the inmense sucess it did sales-wise it's because of the Mario brand. Otherwise, other games in the genre like Dreams, Little Big Planet or Game Builder Garage may offer a better reality check of how wide the demographic for these kind of games are.

Last edited:
Tfw TMS#FE doesn't do as well as other more niche Nintendo releases
3xa6c5.png

To this day I think they fundamentally missed the boat with this one. Could've been so much more if it had been closer to either source material, be it FE or SMT, especially in terms of atmosphere/staging. Well, in my very own opinion at least.
Definitely one of the weaker first party releases on Switch that I've played, I have to say. I'd be happy if they gave a similar collaboration another shot, but with a very different theme this time around.

3xa6c5.png

To this day I think they fundamentally missed the boat with this one. Could've been so much more if it had been closer to either source material, be it FE or SMT, especially in terms of atmosphere/staging. Well, in my very own opinion at least.
Definitely one of the weaker first party releases on Switch that I've played, I have to say. I'd be happy if they gave a similar collaboration another shot, but with a very different theme this time around.
TMS couldn't have been further away from what people wanted when they announced a crossover between the two IPs. I actually quite like it but it was definitely wrong game, wrong time. To think that the director of Radiant Historia and Strange Journey worked on it...

This is a thread discussing sales not a thread discussing the quality of the game. I didn't mention anything about its quality or lack of features. My argument is strictly about people's conceived notions of what is a sales bomb. Games that sold in the millions are in no way sales failures and yet people say they failed. Why is that? Probably because they don't like the game and want it to fail "to send a message to Nintendo" and again this has nothing to do with the fact the games in question sold millions. One game sold millions in a matter of days and yet it's a "failure". So many companies wish they had those sales numbers in that short amount of time.

Mario Maker 2 was great when it launched and unlike the sports titles....it actually got great reviews.

SMM2 seems to have had longer legs than previously anticipated. I remember this post from Imran back in 2020:

Which was later accompanied by speculation of cancelled updates for the game due to disappointing sales. It's still behind LM3 and NSMBUDX, but it's nearing 8 million now, so it's sold a significant amount in the years following its launch year.

I'm curious about whether TMS met internal expectations across the Wii U and Switch. I really enjoyed the game, but the whole time I played it I felt like it was super niche and unlikely to get a sequel. Really glad it exists though.

Two other thoughts, I hope Mercury Steam is already working on the sequel to Dread and I'm wondering about when the next 2D Mario game will be out. NSMBUD has done so well.

Two other thoughts, I hope Mercury Steam is already working on the sequel to Dread and I'm wondering about when the next 2D Mario game will be out. NSMBUD has done so well.
Slightly hot take here, I'd like Mercury Steam to give Metroid a quick break and work on a new Kid Icarus, returning it to its 2D Metroidvania roots but with the cast and personalities of Uprising.

As for 2D Mario, I am surprised we haven't seen one in a while. Heck I'm surprised we haven't seen many new Mario platformers full stop (outside of Bowser's Fury which is kind of a 0.5 Mario game). Maybe Nintendo are holding onto one to coincide with the Mario movie. An all age Mario 2D game to coincide with that seems logical.

3xa6c5.png

On InstallBase someone suggested making it an otome rpg and I have to say I like it. It's a niche Nintendo doesn't serve.

As far as mario maker 2 goes, people need to understand that level editor type games are not that huge. The infinite mario sounds good in theory just like the idea of creating you own mario level, but then in practice it's not that appealing to the casual player who's much more content getting a new mario with a complete adventure start to finish without the need to search new levels and the likes. That's the biggest reason as to why new super mario u DX outsold super mario maker 2, one product is just more appealing for a casual buyer who wants to just play a new Mario game and have fun.

I would have bought Mario Maker in the launch year if it didn't necessitate me also having to buy a Switch controller with a competent d-pad.

Back
Top Bottom