• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data CESA 2022 Nintendo million sellers, updated numbers for Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 1/2, and more

I mean SPM has still sold more at 4.23 million. Being a Mario game and selling well isn't hard on wildly popular Nintendo consoles. PM64 and TTYD also performed better relative to their hardware too, TTYD's attach rate is particularly strong and is the highest in the series by far.

Critical and fan reception is way more important anyway. And it's undeniable the classic series was not only better received critically, but is held in much higher regard by most of the fanbase.
You do know critical reception wise, these games get good scores right? Look, I get it. I would also like a rpg return to form (well if they went back to 64 because TTYD is far overrated) but critical wise, sales wise, and for Origami King even fan wise, the newer games aren’t unpopular anymore. Origami King for newer fans I’ve even seen people like it more than the rpgs. The series is something else. It sure isn’t great for those who want a Mario rpg but like, trying to dismiss a great game because it isn’t what you want probably isn’t the way.

Mahvel breaks 1.5 million. Looking forward to the sequel where Link, Samus et al join the Avengers.
That could have actually happened in the first Ultimate Alliance game. Activision wanted to put Link and Samus as exclusive characters on the Wii version and even prepared a demo showcasing those characters in action for some Nintendo representatives to see.

However, they made the mistake of showing the demo running on the PS2 version of the game, the Nintendo people were livid at seeing Nintendo characters on a rival system and the deal was rejected.

That could have actually happened in the first Ultimate Alliance game. Activision wanted to put Link and Samus as exclusive characters on the Wii version and even prepared a demo showcasing those characters in action for some Nintendo representatives to see.

However, they made the mistake of showing the demo running on the PS2 version of the game, the Nintendo people were livid at seeing Nintendo characters on a rival system and the deal was rejected.
I knew Link and Samus were originally planned for that game but didn't know that was why it was rejected. Thanks for that tidbit

Wish that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: Definitive Edition happened. There are issues with the original that really need the polish (and they should also add the DLC that I even forgot about).

I love Three Houses, but I'm pretty sure the game being objectively one of the ugliest Switch games limited its sales potential.
Imo it could be at 5 million by now if it had a better presentation.

Origami King being a success is not surprising, but it is still a shame the traditional Mario RPG has been effectively put on ice. Guess Nintendo doesn’t see the point when it already has FE and Xenoblade.

Also I really doubt Nintendo players care that much about graphics lol

I love Three Houses, but I'm pretty sure the game being objectively one of the ugliest Switch games limited its sales potential.
Imo it could be at 5 million by now if it had a better presentation.
I do think the new game has the potential to be a 5m+ seller. We already know that the graphics are supposed to be better thanks to Gust, and I wouldn't be surprised if the presentation and production values in general are a noticeable step up from 3H (one example: hopefully we get much better looking CG cutscenes this time lol).

In addition, I think expanding the scope of the free-roam exploration can help increase sales. According to the Reddit leaker, this new game apparently has towns and dungeons and an overworld map to explore, so hopefully all that stuff he said is actually true.

The game will also probably have better marketing than 3H as well, so that should help.

I mean SPM has still sold more at 4.23 million. Being a Mario game and selling well isn't hard on wildly popular Nintendo consoles. PM64 and TTYD also performed better relative to their hardware too, TTYD's attach rate is particularly strong and is the highest in the series by far.

Critical and fan reception is way more important anyway. And it's undeniable the classic series was not only better received critically, but is held in much higher regard by most of the fanbase.
Unless you're a flagship evergreen series like Mario Kart or Smash, install base doesn't really determine the upper boundry of a title past a certain point, at least not in terms of "x game should sell twice as well as y game if x game is released on a system with twice the install base". Momentum and enthusiasm towards the console or software is far more important.

Is this for real? Why would they be so angry? Were they afraid the dev build would be leaked? It's not like modders haven't added Nintendo characters to PlayStation games before.

sounds like you're basing this more on internet chatter more than actual sales results. it's hard to say if the wider audience actually gives a shit about traditional rpg elements or not. the fact that PM1 and 2 aren't even in the top 3 of the series shows that IS is in no need of drastic shakeup to their formula
The first two entries were also released on some of the worst selling Nintendo hardware, despite that they have the strongest attach rates out of the entire series. The wider casual audience doesn't really give a shit about if the series is RPG or not, I agree. Frankly the ultra casual and kid audience will buy anything appealing with Mario in the title. But hype and critical reception still play a large part in the sales picture, and fanbases and critics drive that. And the reception to the modern Paper Marios has ranged from 'internet-wide-outrage' (Color Splash) to 'decent-at-best' (Origami King).

If TOK had instead been the great return-to-form Paper Mario fans have been clamoring for, it would have been received much better and likely would've put it in that 5-10 million seller range. You're right that the current games sell so there's no need to shakeup the formula. But that's never a good excuse and doesn't mean fans shouldn't be upset at a series rebooting itself and declining in quality.

You do know critical reception wise, these games get good scores right? Look, I get it. I would also like a rpg return to form (well if they went back to 64 because TTYD is far overrated) but critical wise, sales wise, and for Origami King even fan wise, the newer games aren’t unpopular anymore. Origami King for newer fans I’ve even seen people like it more than the rpgs. The series is something else. It sure isn’t great for those who want a Mario rpg but like, trying to dismiss a great game because it isn’t what you want probably isn’t the way.
The modern games get average scores (75/76/80 for SS/CS/TOK), I wouldn't call them great. Especially compared to the originals (93/87/85 for 64/TTYD/SPM).

Paper Mario has never been unpopular, besides Color Splash on Wii U the games have always sold well. Mario games sell. The difference is in critical and fan reception. By the critics, SS/CS/TOK are the lowest rated entries in the franchise, with TOK being seen as an improvement. By most of the fans, the reception has ranged from incredibly negative-to-mixed. I'm sure newer and younger fans enjoy TOK, especially if it's their first exposure to the series, That's fine. But the sect the prefers the newer games compared to the originals is absolutely a tiny minority

Nice to see FE3H and Metroid Dread doing well. Also very happy Bayo 2 is a million seller now!

Unless you're a flagship evergreen series like Mario Kart or Smash, install base doesn't really determine the upper boundry of a title past a certain point, at least not in terms of "x game should sell twice as well as y game if x game is released on a system with twice the install base". Momentum and enthusiasm towards the console or software is far more important.

Wait, why does this feel familiar 🤔

Tok is a good game. Certainly not the masterpiece the internet has asked for, but they will het there judging by the evolution.

Origami King being a success is not surprising, but it is still a shame the traditional Mario RPG has been effectively put on ice. Guess Nintendo doesn’t see the point when it already has FE and Xenoblade.

Also I really doubt Nintendo players care that much about graphics lol
I think Nintendo probably thinks Mario + Rabbids fills that niche. It’s not…entirely wrong honesty given how Sparks of Hope seems to ape both rpg series in style while doing it’s own thing.

Wait, why does this feel familiar 🤔

Yeah, I probably said it better back then honestly.

Attach rate is arbitrary after a certain point because you are assuming the market demand for a product follows the trajectory of units available on that platform, when the audience of said game likely are the early adopters and disproportionately represented by early sales. Mario Kart 8 on Wii U has a higher attach rate than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but no one would consider Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a relative disappointment by any stretch, would they?

It doesn't solely determine it, obviously. But games sell better on systems with higher install bases. Games on Wii generally sold better than their predecessors on Gamecube, same with the Switch. PM64 and TTYD likely would have sold more if they were released on better performing platforms. So comparing their sales to their sequels' on significantly more popular systems isn't that useful of a comparison, especially when talking about critical reception. That's my point.

The first two entries were also released on some of the worst selling Nintendo hardware, despite that they have the strongest attach rates out of the entire series. The wider casual audience doesn't really give a shit about if the series is RPG or not, I agree. Frankly the ultra casual and kid audience will buy anything appealing with Mario in the title. But hype and critical reception still play a large part in the sales picture, and fanbases and critics drive that. And the reception to the modern Paper Marios has ranged from 'internet-wide-outrage' (Color Splash) to 'decent-at-best' (Origami King).

If TOK had instead been the great return-to-form Paper Mario fans have been clamoring for, it would have been received much better and likely would've put it in that 5-10 million seller range. You're right that the current games sell so there's no need to shakeup the formula. But that's never a good excuse and doesn't mean fans shouldn't be upset at a series rebooting itself and declining in quality.

The modern games get average scores (75/76/80 for SS/CS/TOK), I wouldn't call them great. Especially compared to the originals (93/87/85 for 64/TTYD/SPM).

Paper Mario has never been unpopular, besides Color Splash on Wii U the games have always sold well. Mario games sell. The difference is in critical and fan reception. By the critics, SS/CS/TOK are the lowest rated entries in the franchise, with TOK being seen as an improvement. By most of the fans, the reception has ranged from incredibly negative-to-mixed. I'm sure newer and younger fans enjoy TOK, especially if it's their first exposure to the series, That's fine. But the sect the prefers the newer games compared to the originals is absolutely a tiny minority
You know that is a garbage thing to say right? Oh only those who never played the originals would like the newer games. Let me guess, they have no taste otherwise? And quite frankly, I am one of those who prefer TOK over the rpgs. And quite frankly I hate how I need to be belittled and mocked for a video game opinion. People like the new games. This is not a crime. And quite frankly there seems to be fans who hate the new games simply because they are new.

None of this matters anyway because the real reason why the new paper Mario games aren’t rpgs is because whoever directs the paper Mario games want them to not be rpgs (and no, at this point we really can’t still point the finger incorrectly at Miyamoto because he hasn’t been a part of this conversation and the Rabbids series puts the idea that Miyamoto hates rpgs to rest). If the next Paper Mario game is an rpg, it will because the next director want to make an rpg. Like, that’s the end deal about Paper Mario, they have clear reign to make what they want. Will they ever make an rpg again? I dunno, but it will be because they want to. Not because of sales or feedback. It is what it is. But the “well everyone loves the games the way I love them” really has got to stop. Sorry I like the origami king. I find it to be the best Mario game. If they never make another one? Well that’s fine. Paper Mario stopped being a single thing over a decade ago

Staff Communication
Hey folks, this thread is about sales figures across the entire library of games, and so of wide interest to the community, not rehashing old arguments about particular series. Please stay on topic. -Donnie, hologram, paranoodle

Origami King's sales are thanks to a really great debut in 2020. I was hoping it could leg over 4m to outsell SPM to become the best selling entry in the series but it's legs haven't been good for 2021 so its hard to say. Though right now we only have 2 years to look at (2020 --> 2021) so there is a chance it's 2022 numbers present a better drop or growth over its 2021 numbers.

You know that is a garbage thing to say right? Oh only those who never played the originals would like the newer games. Let me guess, they have no taste otherwise? And quite frankly, I am one of those who prefer TOK over the rpgs. And quite frankly I hate how I need to be belittled and mocked for a video game opinion. People like the new games. This is not a crime. And quite frankly there seems to be fans who hate the new games simply because they are new.
I didn't say that at all. Your opinion is perfectly valid, you don't need me to tell you that. I'm just speculating that most people who like the newer games are likely a mix of newer fans themselves, more casual fans, and/or are younger. Keyword being most, that doesn't mean everyone.
If the next Paper Mario game is an rpg, it will because the next director want to make an rpg. Like, that’s the end deal about Paper Mario, they have clear reign to make what they want. Will they ever make an rpg again? I dunno, but it will be because they want to. Not because of sales or feedback. It is what it is. But the “well everyone loves the games the way I love them” really has got to stop. Sorry I like the origami king. I find it to be the best Mario game. If they never make another one? Well that’s fine. Paper Mario stopped being a single thing over a decade ago
That's true, but reception influences their decisions. Among other positive changes, they likely wouldn't have included partner characters in TOK if that wasn't a vocal criticism stemming from CS and SS. Unfortunately Paper Mario is in a similar situation to Pokemon where, despite the criticism from hardcore fans, they don't need to change because the games sell as-is.

I'll make that my last post, sorry to get off-topic. I'm just a fan of the series.

What a beautiful thing to see bayonetta 2 finally cross 1mil and of course fire emblem becoming such a big franchise selling pretty much over 4mil
This is truly a Cinderella story like no others.

Still hungry for those current Dread numbers

f12d54312549489c6be72716da9a1590_w200.gif

It's so unsatisfying seeing it stuck so close to 3 mil.

I can't believe Bayonetta 2 passed the 1m mark on Switch! That's great news for Bayonetta 3!

I think Xenoblade 3 should definitely help Xenoblade 2 reach the 3 million mark LTD before it stops selling, and I'm really curious to see what the first quarter for it looks like.

Also congrats to FE3H, it will obviously reach 4 million and that is phenomenal for any RPG and especially a SRPG.

Last edited:
Glad to get confirmation Bayonetta 2 made it to 1M. And wow at DK being more than 4. It's about ~6 with the Wii U version then.

420,000 copies in its 4th year of release is pretty nutso for a strategy, anime-aesthetic RPG, great result for Fire Emblem. It’s definitely hitting over 4 million some time this year. Feel like that leaves it as one of those JRPG heavy hitters in the next tier down from your FF/DQ/KH/Pokémon.

The legs of Nintendo’s mid tier in general seems pretty damn good with how they continue to sell. Happy to see how well Yoshi, Pikmin, DK, and Xeno 2 have all done. Mario Maker 2 as well, especially with how Nintendo cut off support.

Real crime that Tokyo Mirage Sessions didn't cross 1 million at least between the WiiU and Switch versions. It has one of the best Turn-Based battle systems and the colorful style makes it stand out among other Atlus games.
Shin Megami Tensei's best result until V was 600.000 on the 3DS with IV. V got to 1m really fastly.
I think TMS #FE didn't flop as hard as, say, Wonderful 101, so I think it can get another installment some day that's better marketed and reaches 1m.

The focus on Origami King in this thread earlier is weird considering the legs on it were pretty abysmal compared to what you’d expect from Mario. Very front-loaded sales wise and hasn’t picked up much since; games like Three Houses and Xenoblade 2 pushing more units last year, even (and I don't think the latter is super impressive either considering the expected Smash sales boost was marginal).

Link's Awakening, Three Hopes, Tropical Freeze, Tennis Aces; those are all surprising (in a good way) growths to me; and Bayonetta 2 crawling to 1m is a shock of course. Style Savvy: Fashion Forward also crawled to 1m over on the 3DS side which is a pretty surprising turn too; wonder if anything else can make it during the last minute shopping this and next year. For Switch I hope TMS and FDC can manage to make it eventually; would be incredible performances for both. Also pretty surprising that Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition has not yet made it, so we'll see next year.

And did so in less time too.

Like already corrected before New Snap's number doesn't include Japanese sales, so we don't exactly know where it is without that accounted for. Should be pretty close to 3m though, based on Famitu's last reported number for it (which doesn't include digital).

Last edited:
Some sale trajectories for mid-range (~2,5-6,5M) first party titles released in the first 3 years of Switch
Kinda crazy to talk about mid range with those numbers, but yeah Switch sales are that good.

Sales by calendar year in thousands.

Titles20172018201920202021Total
1-2 Switch1880980320270180
Arms16104902801801002660
XC2
Kirby Star Allies24205104905603980
DKC: TF20806906507004120
Mario Tennis Aces25305306006004260
Yoshis Crafted World18407204503010
FE: Three Houses25808204203820
Links Awakening419011407506080

Some notes:
Arms - Dropped off quite a bit after a good first year - not much legs(sry), probably wont reach 3M.
XC2 - very consistant seller the last 3 years, with good legs for a JRPG.
Kirby, DKC and Mario Tennis - Some absolut great legs, 2021 their best years post launch year. Possible 5M sellers all of them.
FE - Fantastic numbers, extremely strong start, quite big drops in the years after but still very good.
Link - Well on it's way to become the best selling 2D Zelda, and listen to this - has an outside chance to become the second best selling Zelda SKU of all time.

I like Xenoblade but I can't help but laugh a little at Xeno2 being title #34 in the list considering how much it dominates discussion in forums like this one.

I like Xenoblade but I can't help but laugh a little at Xeno2 being title #34 in the list considering how much it dominates discussion in forums like this one.
That's not really surprising, genres like RPGs and Metroidvanias are popular among enthusiasts but not so much with general audiences

Regarding Xenoblade's sales potential I think 3's positive reception and word of mouth could help push it past the 3M barrier, especially if it gets GOTY nods (which it really should). Three Houses seems to be pushing the ceiling for RPGs higher than before thanks to its reputation (plus its one of the games Nintendo regularly put on sale), so potentially the same could happen for Xenoblade 3.

People tend to forget that Super Paper Mario wasn't just a psuedo platformer and an early Wii launch window game, but that it was in fact the FIRST GAME STARRING MARIO to appear on the system. Those are really favorable conditions that the series is unlikely to get again.
Wow, didn't know that!!
Super Paper Mario was incredibly fun they should make it new one. A SPM 2 could potentially sell 6M+, I feel like.

It's a weeb Metroid

Targets the core interests so it gets inflated in importance online compared to the market.

Oh and where do these numbers come from?
Seems weird that Nintendo themselves (or any publisher) would release all of these data to the public like that.

Oh and where do these numbers come from?
Seems weird that Nintendo themselves (or any publisher) would release all of these data to the public like that.
Nintendo shares the data to a Japanese market company named CESA, this company publishes a book with data of the JP market which includes sales data that publishers share (not all JP publishers share or at least not to the same degree, Nintendo/Bamco are the only ones giving still a lot of data). Some generous users of Installbase get access to the books and share the sales data

pd: forgot to mention that this time Grady has been the user that has shared such information

Last edited:
I absolutely believe FE3H can reach 5 million, it has dem strong legs.

If i believe mp4 can reach 10 million why wouldn't i believe fe can reach 5 million smh my head

Bayonetta 2 and Mario Tennis Aces are the standout stories for me personally here. Pretty remarkable legs on both games relative to what was expected of them. Between Bayonetta 2 and Astral Chain now being million sellers, the stage is set for Bayonetta 3 to kick it up another level, and Mario Tennis may be poised to cement itself over Strikers as the premiere Mario sports title (not to take away from Battle League's great start but it's hard to imagine it measuring up to what Tennis is doing right now).

Bayonetta 2 and Mario Tennis Aces are the standout stories for me personally here. Pretty remarkable legs on both games relative to what was expected of them. Between Bayonetta 2 and Astral Chain now being million sellers, the stage is set for Bayonetta 3 to kick it up another level, and Mario Tennis may be poised to cement itself over Strikers as the premiere Mario sports title (not to take away from Battle League's great start but it's hard to imagine it measuring up to what Tennis is doing right now).
Platinum been announced that Astral Chain reached 1 million back in January of 2020. But yeah with that and now surprisingly Bayonetta 2, it's now time for Bayonetta 3 to truly shine.

Some sale trajectories for mid-range (~2,5-6,5M) first party titles released in the first 3 years of Switch
Kinda crazy to talk about mid range with those numbers, but yeah Switch sales are that good.

Sales by calendar year in thousands.

Titles20172018201920202021Total
1-2 Switch1880980320270180
Arms16104902801801002660
XC2
Kirby Star Allies24205104905603980
DKC: TF20806906507004120
Mario Tennis Aces25305306006004260
Yoshis Crafted World18407204503010
FE: Three Houses25808204203820
Links Awakening419011407506080

Some notes:
Arms - Dropped off quite a bit after a good first year - not much legs(sry), probably wont reach 3M.
XC2 - very consistant seller the last 3 years, with good legs for a JRPG.
Kirby, DKC and Mario Tennis - Some absolut great legs, 2021 their best years post launch year. Possible 5M sellers all of them.
FE - Fantastic numbers, extremely strong start, quite big drops in the years after but still very good.
Link - Well on it's way to become the best selling 2D Zelda, and listen to this - has an outside chance to become the second best selling Zelda SKU of all time.

The legs on Tropical Freeze, good god.

It sold 420k last year, it would have to sell that much again for the next 3 years to reach 5 million
if im not mistaken it sold almost the same amount in 2020 if not less. Assuming it is on a relatively equal level it should have surpassed 4 million by a few months ago.

Its not easy ofc but its not hard either. Even then, if it ''only'' reaches 4,5 million that would still be a marvelous milestone for nintendo's b ips who went from 1 million if lucky to reaching 4,5 million.

Back
Top Bottom