• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data CESA 2022 Nintendo million sellers, updated numbers for Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 1/2, and more

Bayo 2 may have reached q million but Ac's 1 million is much more handsome! Smh my head

Shit like this is why nintendo needed to release their smaller games numbers, we would never know xeno 2 has an actual shot of reaching 3 million if it wasnt for CESA.

Or FE3H's 4 and perhaps future 5 million? Bayo 2's 1 million. DK TF's 4 million.

Thx CESA.

Seeing those numbers for relatively lower profile releases like Astral Chain, MUA 3 and the Switch SKU of Bayo 2 makes me very, very happy. More of all of this, please!

If Link’s awakening can manage another half million, it will be the best selling 2D Zelda.

Glad to see FE3H so close to 4 million! I wonder if it's past 4m by this point? At the very least, it should hopefully be past it by the end of this year especially with potential sales boosts from Three Hopes and (hopefully) the reveal of the new mainline game.

Oh wow I didn't realize Origami King sold so much. Awesome game. That's great to see.

Really in general it seems like most Nintendo games have just done well on Switch. Not many underperformers on this list.

If Nintendo doesn’t cut off backwards compatible Fire Emblem and Xenoblade could become 5 mil and 3 mil sellers.

MPS_Donkey_Kong_Artwork.png

My boy dk still hanging in there!

Im super excited to see dread's numbers for 2022. Maybe 3,5? 600k? Thats a bit more than what 3h sold in 2020, but dread debuted considerably higher.

Spla2oon and NSMBUD neck and neck. Splatoon is a heavy hitter. Splatoon3 is gonna be huge huh?

Kirby and the Forgotten Land sitting pretty at 4.5 million and counting. Whew. Not long before it becomes the best selling Kirby game ever.

Metroid Dread outsold New Pokemon Snap? That is incredible.
New Pokémon Snap numbers are without Japan where the publisher is TPC, (mainline games have TPC+Nintendo as publishers so JP numbers are included there for mainline entries)

Real crime that Tokyo Mirage Sessions didn't cross 1 million at least between the WiiU and Switch versions. It has one of the best Turn-Based battle systems and the colorful style makes it stand out among other Atlus games.

"The Origami King is a failure because it didn't sell as much as Super Paper Mario! (Although we always say that we also hate the latter)".

ATTN: Every TTYD fan.
People tend to forget that Super Paper Mario wasn't just a psuedo platformer and an early Wii launch window game, but that it was in fact the FIRST GAME STARRING MARIO to appear on the system. Those are really favorable conditions that the series is unlikely to get again.

People tend to forget that Super Paper Mario wasn't just a psuedo platformer and an early Wii launch window game, but that it was in fact the FIRST GAME STARRING MARIO to appear on the system. Those are really favorable conditions that the series is unlikely to get again.
And all that potential was wasted on a half-assed game that even makes jokes at the expense of the player about its own half-assness...

"The Origami King is a failure because it didn't sell as much as Super Paper Mario! (Although we always say that we also hate the latter)".

There is still a chance that thanks to modern age and digital sales TOK ends up being the best selling Paper Mario.

Real crime that Tokyo Mirage Sessions didn't cross 1 million at least between the WiiU and Switch versions. It has one of the best Turn-Based battle systems and the colorful style makes it stand out among other Atlus games.
We don’t know if the WiiU+Switch SKU together haven’t sold more than 1M, I doubt it even comes close but it isn’t confirmed

And all that potential was wasted on a half-assed game that even makes jokes at the expense of the player about its own half-assness...
SPM has its issues, but I'll always admire how absolutely bonkers it gets in terms of story and scope.

Astral Chain sold 70,000 units last year?! Which means after this year it could be at 1.3+ million!

That just makes me happy 😄

Nintendo made roughly 24 billion in gross across all of these million sellers. That's absolutely bonkers.

Also, so glad to see Xenoblade 2 tear up ARMS too. It's strange to see that game have such great legs, but it is certainly welcome.

Three Houses went pretty hard. I think the last time I checked its figures it was at ~2.5. Fantastic performance.

New Pokémon Snap numbers are without Japan where the publisher is TPC, (mainline games have TPC+Nintendo as publishers so JP numbers are included there for mainline entries)
Oops, my mistake; I missed the "West only" indicator. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

My thoughts in handy bullet point form:
  • Wowsers are Mario 3D Allstars. Whether the limited sales window had an impact, or whether people were just that thirsty for Mario, who can say, but people really do love their 3D Mario games
  • Mario Maker 2 has done really amazing numbers. Increasingly surprised Nintendo dropped support for it like a stone.
  • Links Awakening is further proof the Zelda franchise has gone up another level in sales potential since BOTW. It's always on sale seemingly which helps, but that's still a superb figure for the franchise.
  • DK Tropical Freeze over 4M. Where's our new DK platformer Nintendo?
  • We live in a world in which a Fire Emblem will breach the 4M mark. Bonkers.
  • ARMS breaking the 2.5 million barrier is nice, good to see it chugging away, but interesting to see how slow it's selling compared to the others. If I were an optimist, maybe the reason it's been abandoned is a possible sequel is in the works...maybe...
  • Mahvel breaks 1.5 million. Looking forward to the sequel where Link, Samus et al join the Avengers (and Kirby swallows the Infinity Stones to giver Thanos a good pasting)
  • Bayonetta now has a million seller, praise be (and good for Astral Chain too)
Overall it's encouraging to see all this big hitters still pulling in the numbers behind the scenes. Nintendo must be very happy with how their software is performing on Switch.

Ultimately Paper Mario games will continue to get made because they have a team who wants to do them and have enough sales to justify continuing to make sequels. And no, Origami King not being the #1 seller is not proof of anything.

So this year, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Kirby Star Allies (for sure) are likely over 4 million. Yoshi's trajectory is very interesting, as is DK's. The market is primed for a new 2D Donkey Kong more than ever, it seems.

Looking at these charts, I see quite a few prime candidates for price drops.

ARMS
Xenoblade Chronicles DE
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Astral Chain

can all go to like $20 or $30. YoY, their sales are really nothing crazy and they're all awesome games that could use the bump. Especially ARMS for the reason that it's good and has great potential for a new Nintendo series. Xenoblade could use it to capitalize on the popularity of 3.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, I'm still really shocked it sold that low. I would've thought it'd be 5 million LTD years ago.

I mean SPM has still sold more at 4.23 million. Being a Mario game and selling well isn't hard on wildly popular Nintendo consoles. PM64 and TTYD also performed better relative to their hardware too, TTYD's attach rate is particularly strong and is the highest in the series by far.

Critical and fan reception is way more important anyway. And it's undeniable the classic series was not only better received critically, but is held in much higher regard by most of the fanbase.

not when your aim is to make money
Yeah obviously with that lens. Dickmeasuring sales doesn't matter when talking about the merits of the games themselves.

Sales wise I don't doubt a return-to-form Paper Mario on the Switch, with that hype and critical praise that would come with it, would've sold more than TOK with its lukewarm reception.

I mean SPM has still sold more at 4.23 million. Being a Mario game and selling well isn't hard on wildly popular Nintendo consoles. PM64 and TTYD also performed better relative to their hardware too, TTYD's attach rate is particularly strong and is the highest in the series by far.

Critical and fan reception is way more important anyway. And it's undeniable the classic series was not only better received critically, but is held in much higher regard by most of the fanbase.
TTYD fans don't represent the whole Paper Mario fanbase.

Highlights-

-- Bayonetta 2 on Switch finally passed 1 million!

-- Link's Awakening at 6m, once it gets past 6.5m and outsells Zelda 1 it will be the best selling 2D Zelda ever

-- DKC Tropical Freeze and Mario Tennis Aces pass 4m

-- Star Allies and Three Houses close to 4m as well, should hit the milestone in the next CESA White Paper

-- Yoshi hits 3m, legs are really good that it could reach 4m by end of the generation

-- Captain Toad hits 2m, like Yoshi it has really good legs that I can see it hitting 3m by end of the Switch's lifetime

TTYD fans don't represent the whole Paper Mario fanbase.
If you took a survey and asked the fanbase if they would want to see the entry return to it's RPG roots, the majority would say yes. I don't know why you're singling out "TTYD fans" as a particular entity, frothing TTYD-only lovers aren't a real contingent. Almost everyone who likes TTYD also likes PM64, with a good porition of them also liking SPM and other Mario RPGs, and maybe even the newer games; it's not black-and-white. The sect of people who exclusively prefer modern Paper Mario over the older games are definitely a small minority.

Yeah obviously with that lens. Dickmeasuring sales doesn't matter when talking about the merits of the games themselves.

Sales wise I don't doubt a return-to-form Paper Mario on the Switch, with that hype and critical praise that would come with it, would've sold more than TOK with its lukewarm reception.
sounds like you're basing this more on internet chatter more than actual sales results. it's hard to say if the wider audience actually gives a shit about traditional rpg elements or not. the fact that PM1 and 2 aren't even in the top 3 of the series shows that IS is in no need of drastic shakeup to their formula

Fire Emblem doing crazy well.

Ring Fit is the smash hit new IP on Switch that will mysteriously not count because reasons when people list off the big hitters on Switch :D Ongoing quarterly sales higher than Mario Odyssey, the only things selling higher years after release are BOTW, Animal Crossing, Smash and Mario Kart. That’s crazy for new IP.

Back
Top Bottom