• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data CESA 2022 Nintendo million sellers, updated numbers for Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 1/2, and more

Can I give my biggest hot take yet?
I actually like the joy-con D-pad
stoning-stone.gif

This is a thread discussing sales not a thread discussing the quality of the game. I didn't mention anything about its quality or lack of features. My argument is strictly about people's conceived notions of what is a sales bomb. Games that sold in the millions are in no way sales failures and yet people say they failed. Why is that? Probably because they don't like the game and want it to fail "to send a message to Nintendo" and again this has nothing to do with the fact the games in question sold millions. One game sold millions in a matter of days and yet it's a "failure". So many companies wish they had those sales numbers in that short amount of time.
The idea is that it could have sold much more if it were handled correctly, which is true. Much like the PS3 was a disappointment in sales relative to either PS2 or PS4, that doesn't mean it didn't sell well, but it sold much less than it would have had it been handled correctly. Just because it outsold a Wii U game doesn't mean they hit the mark with sales which is pretty apparent, it hasn't sold anywhere near as well as other would be lesser games. It sold a lot, but that's not the point, if handled right it would have likely cleared the 10 million mark a long time ago.

It also didn't help sales perception that the game simply was not showing up, I myself was surprised to see it managed to finally get somewhere relatively good, even if not near what something like this should be doing. I consider MM2 to be the most mishandled Switch release in terms of what it could have been, and that includes its sales.

As someone who doesn’t build levels (well, I had a half finished Shadow Moses Island level on Mario Maker 1), I loved Mario Maker 2, it’s easily one of my favorite Switch games and one of my most played. There hasn’t been a new first party Switch game released since that I’ve played as much.

Back
Top Bottom