• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Blu-ray, 4K Blu-ray, DVD/home video |ST| : Bringing Movies and TV Directly To You

Chie

Satonaka Style
0-k-PRlgeaawm-Fe-A4kp.png

Welcome to the physical home video thread. A place for discusing physical home video in its many forms. Talk about things you recently or are about to pick up, your collection, impressions and memories of watching movie and tv on home video. Also feel free to discuss players and other av equipment too.

This thread is really meant to just focus on current format like 4k Blu-ray, Blu-ray, and DVD, but you can talk older formats like VHS, Laserdisc, HD-DVD, etc as well. All are welcome.

I'm a big physical media fan and want to spread my apprection for this kind of thing with other likeminded people on Famiboards.

Boutique spotlight:
There's a number of boutique labels that release movies and tv to disc that the big studio labels are uninterested and/or unwilling in doing themselves, Also titles from smaller companies or individual rights-holder who don't have the infrastructure to do this themselves. I'd like to mention several below that I feel are essential for the home video super fan.

Diskotek_logo.png

Discotek Media:

Specializes in anime, mostly older shows, but they do newer stuff do. They also release some tokusatsu and live action stuff and even the occasional American cartoon. They only do blu-ray and 4k blu-ray, they stopped doing DVD recently. They have a stellar track record of providing top class discs, with top of the line video and audio quality. They will go the extra mile to include everything they can for a show or movie, even sometimes dubbing older shows that never got one, For things in standard definition they release them as sd-bd, which allows them to fit tons of tv episodes on fewer disc and with less compression than a DVD.

Discotek titles are available on Amazon and the Crunchyroll website.

https://www.discotekmedia.com/

Warner_Archive_Collection_%282020%29.png

Warner Archive Collection:

Technically they are owned by Warner Bros Discovery, but they are run separate from the main Warner Home Video operation. Warner Archive releases films and tv as MOD (made on demand) discs. All of their blu-rays are pressed, just in smaller batches but are indistinguishable from a regular mass market blu-ray. Their DVDs are mostly burned. The archive doesn't do 4k discs although Warner Home Video sometimes does 4k MOD which get mistaken as Archive titles. The Archive releases a bit of everything, ranging from the 1920s into the 2000s. They do Horror, animation, action, drama, musicals, westerns, a bit of every genres and era really.

They tend to make announcements on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive/

Warner Archive titles are available from Amazon and Moviezyng (Moviezyng is the storefront of the company that makes their discs).

1920px-Shout%21_Studios.svg.png

Shout! Studios:

Known as Shout! Factory until last year, they release titles licensed from many of the big studios. They have a sub label called Scream Factory that specializes in mainly horror (with a bit of sci-fi action and the odd thriller). Lots of big horror titles too, from series like Friday the 13th, Childs Play, Halloween, etc. Lots of John Carpenter stuff too. They also have a line of numbered titles called Shout Select, which is a mix of cult classics are more mainstream films. Beyond that they release tv shows like MST3K, films by Roger Corman, and other oddities and offbeat things. They tend to produce new special features for many (but not all) of their titles. They also tend to release relatively newer stuff (mostly 60s or 70s through today, including many new titles, not much really old stuff).

https://shoutfactory.com/

1920px-Kino_Lorber.svg.png

Kino Lorber:

Kino releases titles from the big studios like Shout does, They tend to release things from all genres and even from the earliest days of filming. They are known for having a long line of noir boxsets. They also do some french films as well. Also some big TV shows like Night Gallery, Monk, and Colombo. They also do regular sales with deep discounts.

https://kinolorber.com/shop

800px-Arrow_Video_3.svg.png

Arrow Video:

A UK based label that expanded to the US a long while ago. Arrow are well known for the quality of their restorations and for the physical extras that accompany the first tuns of their titles. They really like including things like booklets with writings and pictures about the film. Also posters and sometimes even lobby cards. As for what Arrow releases? All sorts of thing, horror, big studio films, cult classics, martial arts, science fiction, you name it. No matter what kind of movies you like they are sure to have something up your alley.

https://www.arrowvideo.com/

1024px-The_Criterion_Collection_Logo.svg.png

Criterion:

The Criterion Collection is the granddaddy of boutique labels (founded in 1984, when Laserdisc reigned supreme), Criterion tends to release critically acclaimed films. Lots of art house cinema and films from around the world too. They are also known for their practice of spine numbering (Gotta Catch "Em All). They put their whole cataloge for sale every July and November (in addtion to a couple 24 hour flash sales throughout the year), so its always good to stock up around then.

https://www.criterion.com/

88_Logo_Black_319c9c71-adc5-486c-9b7b-f22804e870d0.png

88 Films:

A Uk based label that recently expanded to the United States. The release a mixture of giallo, martial arts films, horror, and many other things along those lines, though only their martial arts films hit the states for the most part. They tend to include booklets and posters with the first pressings.

https://88-films.myshopify.com/

main-page-logo.png

Deaf Crocodile:

Per their website: "Deaf Crocodile's mission is restoring and releasing Independent, Lost/Unseen and World Cinema with a focus on World Animation, LGBT+ films, Genre Cinema, and the work of neglected and underrepresented Filmmakers from across the spectrum."

https://www.deafcrocodile.com/

agfa_logo-1.jpeg

American Genre Film Archive:

Per their website: "Formed in 2009, the American Genre Film Archive (AGFA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit located in Austin, Texas. AGFA exists to preserve the legacy of genre movies through collection, conservation, and distribution. Housing theatrical and home video distribution arms, a 4K film scanner, and over six thousand film prints, AGFA will never rest until genre movies rule the world."

https://www.americangenrefilm.com/

GoldNinjaVideo_LOGO.png

Gold Ninja Video:

Per their own description: “The Criterion of Public Domain Bargain Bins: A boutique film distribution label that focuses on releasing neglected films with lots of new special features.”

https://goldninjavideo.com/

Resources:

https://www.blu-ray.com/ is a great reource for finding everyhting there is to know about discs. Sales, reviews, impressions, news. Even cataloging your collection.

https://www.gruv.com/ is an e-commerce site run by Universal Home Entertainment. They and Warner merged their distribution for their home studio titles a few years ago. Gruv has sales all the time. If you buy off their eBay store you can even get 15 or 20 percent off all orders. They mostly carry Warner and Universal stuff, but also some thing from Lionsgate, Paramount, Viz Media, etc. Great way to bulk up the collection.

Last edited:
I recently picked up this:
51eNcpdQoAL._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

This was released by Warner Archive recently and is my favorite home video thing all year.
It's a collection of 10 animated tv films made for syndication by Hanna-Barberra in the late 80's. It has:

Yogi's Great Escape
Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers
The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones
Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose
Top Cat and the Beverly Hills Cats
The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound
Rockin' with Judy Jetson
Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School
Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf
Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears

I was born after these movies were released but they aired on Cartoon Network when i was a kid and I really loved them. The three Scooby Movies are classics in their own right. I also really liked the Jetsons/Flintstones crossover. Ghoul School is tied with Zombie Island as my favorite Scooby movie.

I've not had time to watch them all yet, I've watched Ghoul School (still love it as much as i did then), Rockin with Judy Jetson (so 80s in its music but a fun adventure film), and Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears (a wild sci-fi experiment and very entertaining). The picture quality on all but the last two is very high (Reluctant Werewolf and Space bears were digitally animated onto tape instead of ink and paint on film). They did the best they could with them and even through in a pair of Scooby and Yogi tv specials which are in HD as a bonus to make up for it.

There's something special about older ink and paint animation restored in HD which puts a big smile on my face. I just needed to gush about getting these late 80s Hanna-Barberra movies on blu-ray. I grew up on a lot of older shows that predated me and i loved them then and still do now.

I recently picked up this:
51eNcpdQoAL._SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

This was released by Warner Archive recently and is my favorite home video thing all year.
It's a collection of 10 animated tv films made for syndication by Hanna-Barberra in the late 80's. It has:

Yogi's Great Escape
Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers
The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones
Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose
Top Cat and the Beverly Hills Cats
The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound
Rockin' with Judy Jetson
Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School
Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf
Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears

I was born after these movies were released but they aired on Cartoon Network when i was a kid and I really loved them. The three Scooby Movies are classics in their own right. I also really liked the Jetsons/Flintstones crossover. Ghoul School is tied with Zombie Island as my favorite Scooby movie.

I've not had time to watch them all yet, I've watched Ghoul School (still love it as much as i did then), Rockin with Judy Jetson (so 80s in its music but a fun adventure film), and Yogi and the Invasion of the Space Bears (a wild sci-fi experiment and very entertaining). The picture quality on all but the last two is very high (Reluctant Werewolf and Space bears were digitally animated onto tape instead of ink and paint on film). They did the best they could with them and even through in a pair of Scooby and Yogi tv specials which are in HD as a bonus to make up for it.

There's something special about older ink and paint animation restored in HD which puts a big smile on my face. I just needed to gush about getting these late 80s Hanna-Barberra movies on blu-ray. I grew up on a lot of older shows that predated me and i loved them then and still do now.
We gotta get this @Clov

Joking aside, this is a great thread. I'm pretty much a bluray/4k addict, love those botique labels. Some of my faves are Criterion, Deaf Crocodile, Arrow, 88 Films, AGFA, and, the best to ever do it, Gold Ninja Video. I'll do a big post about all of these and my favorite releases soon, probably after work today.

Thank you for making this thread! I started collecting 4K blu-rays last summer after putting a little home cinema setup together in our living room.

I just ordered some US-only discs for my in-laws to bring back from there. I got the Man with No Name Trilogy and Some Like It Hot from Kino Lorber. I also got Oliver! (gift for my wife) and As Good As It Gets from eBay, as they're only available new in boxsets. And I got the Back to the Future trilogy since it was $30 (it's usually at least £40 here).

I'm looking forward to Aliens even though a lot of people are complaining about the AI noise reduction. Hoping the announced Kill Bill and Lost in Translation releases make it out this year.

My favourite 4K disc so far is probably Spartacus. Amazing restoration of a great movie that I hadn't seen before.

Most disappointing buy was probably The Fog, just because the movie isn't a patch on The Thing.

I was just lamenting yesterday that we didn't have a thread on this like GAF/ERA have, I missed chatting about this stuff.

Joking aside, this is a great thread. I'm pretty much a bluray/4k addict, love those botique labels. Some of my faves are Criterion, Deaf Crocodile, Arrow, 88 Films, AGFA, and, the best to ever do it, Gold Ninja Video. I'll do a big post about all of these and my favorite releases soon, probably after work today.
Yeah I wanted to do posts for Arrow, criterion, and 88, but it was late at night and got tired, I'll try to add stuff for them in a day or 2.

Gold ninja, Agfa, and deaf crocodile I'm unfamiliar with, but I can add something for them too. Just need to read up on them first.

Last edited:
Thank you for making this thread! I started collecting 4K blu-rays last summer after putting a little home cinema setup together in our living room.

I just ordered some US-only discs for my in-laws to bring back from there. I got the Man with No Name Trilogy and Some Like It Hot from Kino Lorber. I also got Oliver! (gift for my wife) and As Good As It Gets from eBay, as they're only available new in boxsets. And I got the Back to the Future trilogy since it was $30 (it's usually at least £40 here).

I'm looking forward to Aliens even though a lot of people are complaining about the AI noise reduction. Hoping the announced Kill Bill and Lost in Translation releases make it out this year.

My favourite 4K disc so far is probably Spartacus. Amazing restoration of a great movie that I hadn't seen before.

Most disappointing buy was probably The Fog, just because the movie isn't a patch on The Thing.
I got my copies of the three Cameron 4ks the other day, haven't had a chance to pop them in yet. The is gonna be the final release for these films knowing how disney is, so I'm taking what I can get. Also atmos audio which I recently got setup.

Super happy that this thread has been made, was recently browsing the topic on era, but you know... Era, and I'll leave it at that.
I know you can't list everything in the OP, but no mention of Arrow (either UK or US branch?)? They've been doing some seriously ridiculous great work in the 4k field with some stunning transfers and all of their releases so far have been encoded by Field-in-Motion, and they look absolutely ridiculously good! Ju-on The Grudge, Hellraiser Quadrilogy, bunch of Dario Argento, releases and so many more. I genuinely would never have thought that quite a number of these films would never be released in 4k, let alone get this good of a release.

Anywho, I should receive my Doctor Who Season 15 blu-ray boxset anywhere between now and two weeks, very exciting times, can't wait for it!

I know you can't list everything in the OP, but no mention of Arrow (either UK or US branch?)? They've been doing some seriously ridiculous great work in the 4k field with some stunning transfers and all of their releases so far have been encoded by Field-in-Motion, and they look absolutely ridiculously good!
It wasn't a 4K release, but I have a copy of their release of FM which just has hit after hit on the soundtrack.

My first two blurays were the complete series of Turn A Gundam. I recently bought five more from the Criterion sale. I'm scared this will become a vice.

Super happy that this thread has been made, was recently browsing the topic on era, but you know... Era, and I'll leave it at that.
I know you can't list everything in the OP, but no mention of Arrow (either UK or US branch?)? They've been doing some seriously ridiculous great work in the 4k field with some stunning transfers and all of their releases so far have been encoded by Field-in-Motion, and they look absolutely ridiculously good! Ju-on The Grudge, Hellraiser Quadrilogy, bunch of Dario Argento, releases and so many more. I genuinely would never have thought that quite a number of these films would never be released in 4k, let alone get this good of a release.

Anywho, I should receive my Doctor Who Season 15 blu-ray boxset anywhere between now and two weeks, very exciting times, can't wait for it!
I'll be adding them to the op soon, I was up making this late one night and was exhausting after doing 4 of those blurbs. I really like Arrow too, I got their Conan 4k boxset in the other day and really love it. I'm on mobile right now and really don't like doing that kind of thing until I'm at a desktop.

My first two blurays were the complete series of Turn A Gundam. I recently bought five more from the Criterion sale. I'm scared this will become a vice.
I think my first blu ray was Batman the movie (1966). The Adam West film. My first 4k disc was The Mummy (1999).

Welcome to the club by the way.

I still buy DVDs, but have been trying to get more Blu-Rays when I can afford to. I think my first Blu-Ray purchase was Godzilla 2014, and I've been trying to get each Godzilla movie on Blu-Ray for consistency. The only Criterion releases I have are also Godzilla movies, being their initial release of the first movie and then the Showa series set. Took me awhile to save up for the latter, but I don't regret it. Would be cool to see the Heisei and Millennium eras get something similar, but I'm not holding my breath.

My most recent movie purchase was a normal Blu-Ray of Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, and that was... last month. Been thinking of saving up to buy box sets of some favorite shows and also shows that I haven't seen and aren't streaming anywhere, but... we'll see. Not picky on if they're DVDs or Blu-Rays. It'll come down to what I can afford.

BTW what home theater Y'all rocking? This what im rocking

TCL – 55” Class 5 Series QLED 4K UHD Smart Roku TV, Sony - 725W 5.2-Ch. Hi-Res 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver, Yamha Speakers, Sony UBP-X700 4K Blu-ray player

TCL – 55” Class 5 Series QLED 4K UHD Smart Roku TV, Sony - 725W 5.2-Ch. Hi-Res 4K Ultra HD A/V Home Theater Receiver, Yamha Speakers, Sony UBP-X700 4K Blu-ray player
Tcl 6 series 55 inch 2017 model

Denon s750 receiver.

Have the Sony Core series speakers. Currently have a 3.0.2 system. Sony core bookshelves for my left and right, core center as my center channel, and a pair of the Sony core atmos speakers mounted high on the wall.

I use a sony X800m2 as my 4k blu ray player.

I still buy DVDs, but have been trying to get more Blu-Rays when I can afford to. I think my first Blu-Ray purchase was Godzilla 2014, and I've been trying to get each Godzilla movie on Blu-Ray for consistency. The only Criterion releases I have are also Godzilla movies, being their initial release of the first movie and then the Showa series set. Took me awhile to save up for the latter, but I don't regret it. Would be cool to see the Heisei and Millennium eras get something similar, but I'm not holding my breath.

My most recent movie purchase was a normal Blu-Ray of Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, and that was... last month. Been thinking of saving up to buy box sets of some favorite shows and also shows that I haven't seen and aren't streaming anywhere, but... we'll see. Not picky on if they're DVDs or Blu-Rays. It'll come down to what I can afford.
I have the 4k for Golldzilla 2014 and watched it recently. The atmos on that film is wonderful, especially when Godzilla makes his entrance and roars.

Any particular shows you have in mind? I just read that Dexters Lab is getting a complete DVD release sometime soon.

No rear speakers? Nor subwoofer?
I only got the receiver a little while ago and that was expensive enough. Started with the front center and left.

Decided to get the atmos next because I first experienced atmos seeing Dune part one at a theater with atmos experience and I really missed that effect. It also annoyed me that I own so many blus with atmos audio but couldn't take advantage of it.

I'll be getting a sub next, then rears, just need to let my finances recover a bit first.

I only got the receiver a little while ago and that was expensive enough. Started with the front center and left.

Decided to get the atmos next because I first experienced atmos seeing Dune part one at a theater with atmos experience and I really missed that effect. It also annoyed me that I own so many blus with atmos audio but couldn't take advantage of it.

I'll be getting a sub next, then rears, just need to let my finances recover a bit first.
Sweet btw there is some anime films that'll give your system a work out

I'll definitely need some names. Hit me.
Neon genesis evagelion series plus death and rebirth film and end of evagelion film
Akira
Memories
Lupin the 3rd the 1st chi film from Gkids
Ghost in the shell 1995 anime film 4k has Atmos
The sky crawlers
Promare
These and more

I have the 4k for Golldzilla 2014 and watched it recently. The atmos on that film is wonderful, especially when Godzilla makes his entrance and roars.

Any particular shows you have in mind? I just read that Dexters Lab is getting a complete DVD release sometime soon.
I'm definitely curious about the 4k release of Godzilla 2014 (I'm hoping they've fixed the transfer issue that made the movie too dark to see anything; can't recall if the original Blu-Ray had that issue but the digital release did), but it'll be awhile before I can do anything 4k.

Star Trek is the big one I'd like to start getting box sets of, in general (I do have a DVD collection of all the TOS movies that I got as a gift for my mom years ago). Avatar: The Last Airbender, too. Got a nice steelbook Blu-Ray box set of The Legend of Korra years ago but never got around to getting a box set of the original series, which I'm planning to fix eventually.

I've been wanting to watch Gundam: Witch From Mercury and was just going to buy it when it's on disc, but I haven't checked recently to see if the US will be getting anything there... but I can hope, right?

Okay, here's a big post with some of my favorite labels and releases.

Criterion
PXL_20231206_122827707.jpg

Gotta start with the big one, the og botique home video company, and the company I own by far the most releases from. Criterion barely needs an introduction, the pretty much define what is classically thought of as the Art House Film Canon. Plenty of French New Wave, Italian neo realism, old Japanese masters ect. There's plenty to critique with them. They tend to play it safe, focusing on America, Japan, and Western Europe, focusing on known big names, and more recently really skimping on special features. But the classics tend to be classics for a reason, lately they have been focusing more on diversity, they still put out plenty of great releases, and their back catalog is full of must owns. Here are some of my faves.

The Signifyin' Works of Marlon Riggs
images

Probably my nomination for the best ever Criterion release. An entire career in a box. Riggs was a trail blazer of black and queer cinema. Ethnic Notions and especially Tongues Untied are two of the most powerful films I've ever seen on race and queerness in America, but everything Riggs made is essential. A beautiful human gone too soon. Can not recommend this set highly enough.

The Complete Jacques Tati
images

Tati made gentle, beautiful, and hilarious comedies. On paper they all sound dull, but they bring me to tears both from laughing and through the sheer glory of humanity on display. He is Mr. Bean if Mr. Bean was good. Playtime in particular is a movie everyone who seriously cares about cinema must see.

Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project Vol. 1-4
images

Probably no one living has done more to rescue and shine a spotlight on international film than Scorsese, and these sets are filled with so much once lost treasure. Touki Bouki, Revenge, The Housemaid, Redes, Mysterious Object at Noon, Taipei Story. Essential for anyone looking to seriously expand their cinematic horizons.

House
images

Nobuhiko Obayashi is my favorite director and this, his feature debut, one of my favorite films. Despite what the essay included and all the Criterion marketing tells you, this is so much more than a "random, wtf classic" and Obayashi was so much more than a commercial film maker. This movie is a ton of fun, visually experimental, and a meditation on generational trauma and the scares of WWII. I pray more of Obayshi's films get NA releases someday.

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975
images

This is a tough one. I love Godzilla, I love all these movies, I love the big, ridiculous packaging but...this releases is kinda bad. Toho didn't allow Criterion to use new scans, providing them with watchable but suboptimal scans. They also didn't allow Criterion to produce any new special features, so this is a fairly bare bones release. But just on thr strength of the 15 movies collected here, its a must own.

Next time, I'll take a look at Arrow Video.

Neon genesis evagelion series plus death and rebirth film and end of evagelion film
Akira
Memories
Lupin the 3rd the 1st chi film from Gkids
Ghost in the shell 1995 anime film 4k has Atmos
The sky crawlers
Promare
These and more
Thanks, i own Lupin The First, Akira, Promare, and Ghost in the Shell '95, but haven't watched them since i upgraded from my aging vizeo soundbar. I still need to buy the blu for EVA, i watched that a while ago (in the soundbar era) on Netflix and I'm sure that bit starved audio could sound much better on disc running through a proper system. I'll look into the others.
I'm definitely curious about the 4k release of Godzilla 2014 (I'm hoping they've fixed the transfer issue that made the movie too dark to see anything; can't recall if the original Blu-Ray had that issue but the digital release did), but it'll be awhile before I can do anything 4k.

Star Trek is the big one I'd like to start getting box sets of, in general (I do have a DVD collection of all the TOS movies that I got as a gift for my mom years ago). Avatar: The Last Airbender, too. Got a nice steelbook Blu-Ray box set of The Legend of Korra years ago but never got around to getting a box set of the original series, which I'm planning to fix eventually.

I've been wanting to watch Gundam: Witch From Mercury and was just going to buy it when it's on disc, but I haven't checked recently to see if the US will be getting anything there... but I can hope, right?
The original 10 trek movies all got really nice 4k restorations a little bit ago. I have the pack with the first 4 in it and they all look outstanding. Star Trek 2 is my favorite films (i own 4 different discs for it). I own TOS and TNG on blu.They both look nice and TOS on disc gives you the option of the new updated effects or the original effects, the streaming version is new effects only (or it was on Netlfix and that's how i always see it shown on tv at least).

I own Avatar the last Airbender. They did a commendable job on the upscaling for it (the show was animated digitally in standard definition). It looks nice and it is worth owning.

Not too sure who has video rights for gundam, but seems to popular to not be released. A general rules is that anime comes west on disc usually a few months at least after the japanese blu rays are finished. In japan they releases shows with 3 or 4 episodes per discs so most shows have a bunch of volumes. They delay the western release to discourage reverse importation since the west gets 12-24 episode sets instead.

By the way @Phosphorescent Skeleton I added the labels you mentioned to the op. I used the self descriptions for the labels i wasn't familar with i found on their websites/interviews.

@Shadow I've given Arrow some love in the op.

Last edited:

Criterion

Gotta start with the big one, the og botique home video company, and the company I own by far the most releases from. Criterion barely needs an introduction, the pretty much define what is classically thought of as the Art House Film Canon. Plenty of French New Wave, Italian neo realism, old Japanese masters ect. There's plenty to critique with them. They tend to play it safe, focusing on America, Japan, and Western Europe, focusing on known big names, and more recently really skimping on special features. But the classics tend to be classics for a reason, lately they have been focusing more on diversity, they still put out plenty of great releases, and their back catalog is full of must owns. Here are some of my faves.

images

Probably my nomination for the best ever Criterion release. An entire career in a box. Riggs was a trail blazer of black and queer cinema. Ethnic Notions and especially Tongues Untied are two of the most powerful films I've ever seen on race and queerness in America, but everything Riggs made is essential. A beautiful human gone too soon. Can not recommend this set highly enough.

images

Tati made gentle, beautiful, and hilarious comedies. On paper they all sound dull, but they bring me to tears both from laughing and through the sheer glory of humanity on display. He is Mr. Bean if Mr. Bean was good. Playtime in particular is a movie everyone who seriously cares about cinema must see.

images

Probably no one living has done more to rescue and shine a spotlight on international film than Scorsese, and these sets are filled with so much once lost treasure. Touki Bouki, Revenge, The Housemaid, Redes, Mysterious Object at Noon, Taipei Story. Essential for anyone looking to seriously expand their cinematic horizons.

House
images

Nobuhiko Obayashi is my favorite director and this, his feature debut, one of my favorite films. Despite what the essay included and all the Criterion marketing tells you, this is so much more than a "random, wtf classic" and Obayashi was so much more than a commercial film maker. This movie is a ton of fun, visually experimental, and a meditation on generational trauma and the scares of WWII. I pray more of Obayshi's films get NA releases someday.

images

This is a tough one. I love Godzilla, I love all these movies, I love the big, ridiculous packaging but...this releases is kinda bad. Toho didn't allow Criterion to use new scans, providing them with watchable but suboptimal scans. They also didn't allow Criterion to produce any new special features, so this is a fairly bare bones release. But just on thr strength of the 15 movies collected here, its a must own.

That Godzilla collection,,,,,

The art looks so damn cool, but its so big, i have all my giant monster stuff on one section of my shelf together (Heisei and Millenium Godzillas, The Classic Mothra steelbook and the newer trilogy, King Kong movies, Monsterverse, etc.), and that thing is too big to join the rest (How ironic to complain about the monsters being too big). And yeah its bizarre old restorations only. I keep hoping for them to revisit these before i bite. I do need to get those Gamera films from Arrow too.

Criterion

images

images

images

House
images

images

Hey, that looks like the shelf I'm sitting beside right now... with all the same movies... how mysterious... ❤️

You already mentioned a lot of my favorite releases from Criterion, but I really can't overstate how amazing the Marlon Riggs boxset is. Tongues Untied is simply put, one of the greatest films ever made. It provides a frank, honest look at what it means to be a gay Black man in America. Incredibly powerful. And that's just one of the great films on this set!

A few other Criterion releases I think are worth mentioning:

LSoJP2f4HIWyY4pBAuk8lnOO82jBCv_large.jpg

Paris is Burning has got to be one of my favorite documentaries. It's a look at the late 80s drag scene in New York, and follows several individuals, both cis and trans, who take part in it. There's sadness present here; there are people who are defeated, people who have bought into toxic rhetoric regarding their gender, people whose lives end tragically. But there's genuine joy here as well, people whose participation in drag balls allow them to express themselves, let themselves be who they truly are, people who achieve their transition goals, people who love and care for each other. Though its focus is the drag scene, it's wonderful to see trans women living their best lives, and great to see a film that doesn't purely define trans life through misery.

tXPyBtRHeXy8YATlltdiz3bRc6WMgX_large.jpg

Celine and Julie Go Boating is a rather lengthy film about two women who discover an old house that has a story and a history to it. But who says that history has to be set in stone? There's so much magic and whimsy here that I found it impossible to stop smiling throughout its over 3 hour runtime. Great editing between the two stories (the story of the house, and Celine and Julie reading and experiencing it). The picture quality looks beautiful as well! When these two finally go boating, you'll cheer.

There's some more I'd like to talk about but I feel tired, so I won't do that now. Some other time!

Hey, that looks like the shelf I'm sitting beside right now... with all the same movies... how mysterious... ❤️

You already mentioned a lot of my favorite releases from Criterion, but I really can't overstate how amazing the Marlon Riggs boxset is. Tongues Untied is simply put, one of the greatest films ever made. It provides a frank, honest look at what it means to be a gay Black man in America. Incredibly powerful. And that's just one of the great films on this set!

A few other Criterion releases I think are worth mentioning:

LSoJP2f4HIWyY4pBAuk8lnOO82jBCv_large.jpg

Paris is Burning has got to be one of my favorite documentaries. It's a look at the late 80s drag scene in New York, and follows several individuals, both cis and trans, who take part in it. There's sadness present here; there are people who are defeated, people who have bought into toxic rhetoric regarding their gender, people whose lives end tragically. But there's genuine joy here as well, people whose participation in drag balls allow them to express themselves, let themselves be who they truly are, people who achieve their transition goals, people who love and care for each other. Though its focus is the drag scene, it's wonderful to see trans women living their best lives, and great to see a film that doesn't purely define trans life through misery.

tXPyBtRHeXy8YATlltdiz3bRc6WMgX_large.jpg

Celine and Julie Go Boating is a rather lengthy film about two women who discover an old house that has a story and a history to it. But who says that history has to be set in stone? There's so much magic and whimsy here that I found it impossible to stop smiling throughout its over 3 hour runtime. Great editing between the two stories (the story of the house, and Celine and Julie reading and experiencing it). The picture quality looks beautiful as well! When these two finally go boating, you'll cheer.

There's some more I'd like to talk about but I feel tired, so I won't do that now. Some other time!
We demand to hear more! Tell me more!

LG 65" C2 set into the wall, Denon AVR-S660H receiver, KEF slim centre speaker, Cambridge subwoofer and Denon bookshelf stereo speakers. Never fancied rear speakers.

I know you can't list everything in the OP, but no mention of Arrow (either UK or US branch?)?
I have the Arrow 4K release of Robocop, it's great. I mean it really shows up the jankiness of the effects in a way that VHS never did, but I guess that's how it looked in the cinema too.

Last edited:
That big Criterion Collection post reminds me that I need to pick up their Ranown Westerns boxset the next time there's a sale.

This thread is just in time for me, as I just picked up a PS5 and thus have a 4K Blu Ray player for the very first time! Got my eye on some recommendations from here already

This thread is just in time for me, as I just picked up a PS5 and thus have a 4K Blu Ray player for the very first time! Got my eye on some recommendations from here already
I know this sounds extreme since the PS5 is a pretty decent (4k) Blu-ray player, but if you really want the best out of the format, if a disc has Dolby Vision support and your TV does as well, absolutely pick up a player that supports the format. It looks absolutely amazing and a good Vision grade absolutely takes it a step beyond what normal HDR10 is able to do.

I have the Arrow 4K release of Robocop, it's great. I mean it really shows up the jankiness of the effects in a way that VHS never did, but I guess that's how it looked in the cinema too.
I still have the original MGM blu-ray, have been considering upgrading, no doubt that its better, but unsure if it's worth the upgrade at its current price. Might wait for a sale.

This thread is making me want to buy more movies on blu-ray as someone who doesn't watch too many. Where should I buy Criterion Collection blu-ray movies in Europe?

You know that movie called the Last Samurai, directed by Edward Zwick?
Warner, give it a 4K Blu-Ray release. The 1080p Bluray is some DVD upscale with some flickering and has a lossy Dolby track when the actual movie was shot on 35mm and a scan would probably pop the heck of it. Gorgeous movie stuck in bad conditions...

You know that movie called the Last Samurai, directed by Edward Zwick?
Warner, give it a 4K Blu-Ray release. The 1080p Bluray is some DVD upscale with some flickering and has a lossy Dolby track when the actual movie was shot on 35mm and a scan would probably pop the heck of it. Gorgeous movie stuck in bad conditions...
I haven’t seen the movie since it came out but I remember loving it. Believe it has Toranaga from Shōgun.

Cross posting, but it's kind of a double thing. But I received my Doctor Who Season 15 Blu-ray boxset. What an absolutely wonderful set and I can't wait to dive deep into all the episodes! 🥰

I haven’t seen the movie since it came out but I remember loving it. Believe it has Toranaga from Shōgun.
Ken Watanabe was one of the leads in it (and got nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in it) along with Tom Cruise.

Hiroyuki Sanada, who plays Toranaga in Shogun, was also in it in one of the supporting roles.

It was a turning point for Asian representation in Hollywood. Watanabe stated, “Before The Last Samurai, there was this stereotype of Asian people with glasses, bucked teeth and a camera,” [...] It was stupid, but after The Last Samurai came out, Hollywood tried to be more authentic when it came to Asian stories.”

It was a turning point for Asian representation in Hollywood. Watanabe stated, “Before The Last Samurai, there was this stereotype of Asian people with glasses, bucked teeth and a camera,” [...] It was stupid, but after The Last Samurai came out, Hollywood tried to be more authentic when it came to Asian stories.”
2003 was also the year Kill Bill Vol 1 and Lost in Translation came out. Lot of great movies set in Japan!

Ken Watanabe was one of the leads in it (and got nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in it) along with Tom Cruise.

Hiroyuki Sanada, who plays Toranaga in Shogun, was also in it in one of the supporting roles.

This is kinfa a weird thing to say, because I wouldn't call Last Samurai authentic or not filled with stereotypes?

I always enjoy Ken Watanabe whenever he pops up in stuff (Godzilla '14, KOTM, Detective Pikachu, Inception). Keep meaning to pick up that 4k of The Creator, heard good things about both the movie and the disc.

Back
Top Bottom