• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Between Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door, Peach, Endless Ocean, and Luigi’s Mansion, will Paper Mario be the only 80+ scored Nintendo exclusive?

Will The Thousand Year Door be the only 80+ rated Nintendo exclusive in 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • No, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD will score higher than 80

Votes: 73 43.5%
  • No, Endless Ocean Luminous will score higher than 80

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • No, Princess Peach Showtime will score higher than 80

Votes: 59 35.1%
  • Based on this list, Nintendo won't release a game that scores higher than 80 in 2024

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters

Truno

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
NOTE: This poll is based on Nintendo's current line-up for the remainder of 2024. This list is subject to change (and it most surely will). But, for the purpose of this thread, we're only considering Nintendo's line-up after their first major presentation in 2024.

Splatoon 3: Side Order (and any additional DLC) also aren't counted for the purpose of this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As of today, this is Nintendo's exclusive line-up for the Nintendo Switch in 2024:

Already released:
Another Code: Recollection - 73 MC/75 OC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - 77 MC/78 OC

Upcoming:
Princess Peach: Showtime! - ?? MC/?? OC

Preview excerpts:
Eurogamer
while the set dressing may seem somewhat familiar, the game's opening suite of levels feel something of a more amateur production aimed at a younger audience, especially considering how low the difficulty of said levels are pitched.
IGN
Based on what I’ve played, Princess Peach: Showtime is wholly its own thing, decoupled from the traditional Mario game entirely, and throughout my time with it I found myself really impressed with how different and special each stage looked and felt.
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - ?? MC/?? OC
  • Note that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon has a 86 in Metacritic.
  • The only improvements highlighted so far are graphical. Anything else remains unknown.
  • Price point is not known.
Endless Ocean Luminous - ?? MC/?? OC
  • Endless Ocean currently has a 72 score in Metacritic.
  • Endless Ocean: Blue World has a 76 score in Metacritic.
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - ?? MC/?? OC
  • TTYD has an 87 in Metacritic, the highest in this list.
  • Improvements showcased so far are: completely remade models, new NPCs, new sprite art for the back of all characters, and Paper Mario 64 music as highlighted in the reveal trailer. Any additional improvements or new content remains to be seen.
  • Trailer caused concern that the game is now 30fps. The original GameCube release was 60fps.
  • Price point is unknown.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned, this list is subject to change. Rumored titles like Metroid Prime 4 or Fire Emblem 4 are the top candidates to score well with reviewers. But, based on Nintendo's current line-up, do you think that TTYD will be the only Nintendo release to score above an 80 in 2024?

Peach and LM2HD will probably eke out an 80+ on Metacritic. The only way I see Peach scoring lower than an 80 on Metacritic is if the game has a lot of bugs or if reviewers aren't willing to meet the game on its own terms, which doesn't seem to be happening.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon HD will get an 80+ because the original Dark Moon was already a super solid title and that makes it hard to fail. It's also distinctly shorter and easier to get through than Luigi's Mansion 3 (which has definitely a bad case of being a bit too long for it's own good), which usually helps games like that in the scoring.

It depends how they go about releasing the game. If it remains 30fps on release it could affect the timing of the action commands.

The original was 60fps by cutting that in half you will create a stretching in the frames for the perfect guard and standard guard.

The game could feel too easy if they add more frames for the action commands.

Wether that impacts it negatively or positively idk.

It depends how they go about releasing the game. If it remains 30fps on release it could affect the timing of the action commands.

The original was 60fps by cutting that in half you will create a stretching in the frames for the perfect guard and standard guard.

They game could feel too easy if they add more frames.
PM:TTYD is already an easy game where you can completely ignore perfect guards and breeze through it. I really doubt anyone but the die hards will even notice any issue with input framerate stuff.

PM:TTYD is already an easy game where you can completely ignore perfect guards and breeze through it. I really doubt anyone but the die hards will even notice any issue with input framerate stuff.
For sure but you definitely will notice that in the pit of 100 trials

Edit: wouldn't affect reviews scores but just throwing that out there for the few that might be bothered by it (talking about the pit)

I’m expecting high 60s for Peach and probably low 80s for Luigi’s Mansion.

Endless Ocean could go either way IMO

Ehh, I think we might get some other remakes like F-Zero and Zelda WW/TP, maybe those could get above 80

Why are there no options like "you only mentioned four games on this list" or "it's Feburary, Nintendo hasn't come close to announcing their entire lineup yet"

I read the OP and I understand the framing of the thread, but it just doesn't make sense to say "it will be the only 80+ exclusive this year" when we don't know a decent number of games

My 2024 Nintendo MC predictions.

Princess Peach: Showtime- 75
Endless Ocean: Luminous- 73
Luigis Mansion 2 HD- 78
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War- 82
Star Fox: Apocalypse 97
Paper Mario: TTYD HD- 81
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- 88
Pokemon Let's Go Celebi- 80
Metroid Prime 4- 89
one of these things is not like the others

🎶🎵🎶

Why are there no options like "you only mentioned four games on this list" or "it's Feburary, Nintendo hasn't come close to announcing their entire lineup yet"

I read the OP and I understand the framing of the thread, but it just doesn't make sense to say "it will be the only 80+ exclusive this year" when we don't know a decent number of games
Going back in time a year to make my "will any 1st party Switch game besides TotK sell over 10 million in 2023" thread.

Luigis Mansion 2 HD- 78
Metroid Prime 4- 89
Chooses Twilight Princess over Wind Waker

I approve

OG Luigi's Manssion already scored higher than 80 so no reason to expect the port to be scored any lower, unless they really mess it up.

But I also fully expect Prime4 this year and for that to score pretty high.

I think Peach will be a really fun game but being aimed at a younger audience it will likely score in the high 70s. Endless Ocean I have no idea. I only played the OG game once but I am excited for a chill underwater exploration game. If it manages to run well and be engaging enough and the online works then probably could be a low 80s game? No idea what the first two games scored so I'm less confident in my guaging for that one.

I feel like there should be a "No, an unannounced game will score higher than 80" option.

Opted not to include this option as the thread would quickly derail into speculation on Nintendo's upcoming unannounced releases, and there are threads for that already. This is purely based on the known line-up after their first major event for the year

Peach, LM2, and Endless Ocean all seem like low-to-mid 70s to me. So based on the premise of the thread, which doesn’t make the most sense in the world, I guess not?

I don’t expect TTYD to score higher than like, an 84 either for what it’s worth.

Yup. For one there's probably going to be a Pokémon game revealed this Tuesday.
Opted not to include this option as the thread would quickly derail into speculation on Nintendo's upcoming unannounced releases, and there are threads for that already. This is purely based on the known line-up after their first major event for the year
Then you should've changed the question to "Out of the Nintendo-exclusive games currently announced for release in 2024 will TTYD be the only one with an 80+ metacritic?" Rather than the current question which you purposefuly omitted possible answers to, lol.

Then you should've changed the question to "Out of the Nintendo-exclusive games currently announced for release in 2024 will TTYD be the only one with an 80+ metacritic?" Rather than the current question which you purposefuly omitted possible answers to, lol.

I explained that in the first line of the OP, but I'll report the thread to reflect in the title/poll

PPS: Low 80s - I think this will have a SMB Wonder effect where it will be praised for its variety and it's relative shortness/easiness will be glossed over.

EO Luminous: Low 70s: I just don't think these types of games usually score very high unless they're graphical showpieces.

LM2 HD: High 70s. Rereleases/ports almost always score lower. This will inevitably not look as good as LM3 and the mission structure has been criticized since release.

TTYD: Anywhere from low 90s to mid 80s depending on if it's 60fps or if there is any new content or if any old content was cut/changed.

Both Endless Ocean games scored in the 70s on MC.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon did 86. There's potential to improve on this number and it has enough of a buffer that it likely won't drop below 80.

Peach is an unknown. I suspect it's going to be mid to high 70's at minimum.

So going with LM2 as a given.

I’m expecting high 60s for Peach and probably low 80s for Luigi’s Mansion.

Endless Ocean could go either way IMO
High 60s would be one of the worst reviewed Nintendo 1st party games of the generation. Worse than stuff like Mario Golf and Switch Sports.

It won’t be that low.

I see no reason to believe that any of those games, except maybe Endless Ocean, would score lower than 80 tbh.

Unless they completely drop the ball with any of those games, for which I also see no reason to believe.

Peach you can lock in at least 83. Endless Ocean could surprise us but I doubt it. I think Luigi's Mansion is really bad.

But we just had a previously unannounced first party game revealed yesterday! There will be more.

I'm rooting for Princess Peach Showtime but I think it'll score similarly to the Yoshi games, so high 70s. It's just that Nintendo hasn't shown much and what's shown doesn't look exactly like what pleases critics...

I'm pretty sure Luigi's Mansion 2 HD will score higher than 80 since the original did and this is a good graphical overhaul presumably with added content.

Peach and TTYD are sure bets. LM2 will get the "just play 3" comments to it might land in 77-79 area. Endless Ocean is is probably in the AC area 75

Luigis Mansion 2 HD- 78
Metroid Prime 4- 89
Something is amiss on this list and I cant quite make what it is. Also FE at 82 is interesting, I cant wait to see what people think of that game.

Yes, most likely. I think some critics will ding the Peach game because it ends up being easy and short (which it's probably supposed to be), and LM2 had more mixed reviews anyway and it will get marked down for being a remaster.

Even TTYD will probably only be in the low 80's.

I'd expect Luigi's Mansion 2 HD to come in around 80/81 and TTYD a little higher (85/86). Out of the currently announced titles, I'd expect LM2 HD to be the best selling, unless Peach turns into a surprise breakout hit.

It depends, I think Showtimes main complaint is that its too easy, However an 80-85 is entirely possible. Same goes for Endless Ocean, people could really jive with its comfy overtones and lower price tag.

Luigis Mansion 2 HD- 78
Metroid Prime 4- 89
89 lmao

Not only will Luigi's mansion 2 get over 80, it'll deserve it more than TTYD.

No, I'm not taking questions on this.

TTYD will probably reach the high 80’s but just barely miss the 90’s
LM2 is probably gonna be a mid 70’s type release, maybe high 70’s if the reviewers are generous
Peach showtime will likely review poorly just because of its easiness
Endless Ocean doesn‘t seem like the kinda game that would review anywhere past the 70’s
Windwaker/ Twilight Princess would be instant 90’s if they came out
A new Star Fox would maybe breach the 80’s
If Prime 4 sticks the landing it getting in the 90’s is all but inevitable
Black and White remakes will review around 4-5 points higher then they should regardless of quality

LM2 I'm surprised got as high as it did on its original release, but if they can fix a lot of the pacing issues it'll probably be good to land around 83 at the lowest.

TTYD will score the highest of all of them; I figure most of the journalists in the big publications reviewing the game will have a lot of nostalgia for the original GC release but it'll still fall just short of 90 (even though it deserves it)

Luigis Mansion 2 HD- 78
Metroid Prime 4- 89
Princess Peach Showtime and TTYD Remake are way off base here.

What makes you think that? The original scored an 87
Twenty years ago in a different review environment, sure.

I was being a bit sarcastic, but all the same, if people are banking on nostalgia to carry the score like a few people in this thread seem to be, that's not exactly the best qualifier.

Metroid Prime Remastered got a lot of positive reviews, and its Metacritic is high, but at the same time, a number of those positive reviews could be summarized as "This the game I loved 20 years ago, 9/10" with little in the way of actual critique.

I'm much more interested in the reviews from people that will play it for the first time or generally have no strong nostalgia for it. I'm sure many will still enjoy it, and it'll probably still score somewhere in the 80s, but those reviews will generally be more interesting to read than an uncritical review that hinges entirely off of nostalgia.

I choose answer F) I absolutely don't care about Meta- Scores because they mean nothing

Besides thar, i think Nintendo will release good games this year, even if most of them are ports.

Of course the remake of Fire Emblem 4: The genealogy of the holy war will get an 85 metacritic score ;)

Yes, but conversely, it will also be the only title that was overhyped by old fans and will disappoint new players

Back
Top Bottom