• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Bayonetta 3 | A Love-In With The Coven

I completed it today;

I feel conflicted. Its definitely one of Platinums best games and as a Bayonetta title, it’s lives up to the name.

However, as it is a Bayonetta game, it will be compared to the other two. The Bayo levels are great, gameplay is still smooth as it ever was and there are some insane setpieces which are brilliant.

Now the Viola parts… not bad, but less engaging. Feels like a skinny Dante without the bite. Going back from Cereza to Viola is a big downgrade.

Hey y'all! I'm gonna rent Bayonetta 3.

Is one week enough to complete the main story + extra chapters? I'm not a completionist btw, just want to play all the game offers, don't care for trophies or collectables.

Just reached the mountain peak and having a blast so far, replaying some of the older chapters as well to improve my score, and I've noticed one thing compared to the first two that I find genuinely lacking... I honestly can't remember a single song of this one compared to the previous two. Absolutely nothing has stuck with me whatsoever, it just doesn't feel nearly as energetic :(

Hey y'all! I'm gonna rent Bayonetta 3.

Is one week enough to complete the main story + extra chapters? I'm not a completionist btw, just want to play all the game offers, don't care for trophies or collectables.
I think if you go through it full speed, about half an hour per chapter is realistic?

So I finished this game a couple weeks ago and was going to post about it but I forgot that I had put this thread on ignore a while back and couldn't find it haha. This was one of my most anticipated games for a very long time, and coming off another of my most anticipated games that unfortunately slightly disappointed me (God of War Ragnarok), I was hoping this game would blow me away and at least meet, if not exceed my expectations.

When this game is on, it's ON. Holy crap, there is absolutely nothing like Bayonetta. This game has some of the best pure action sequences i've ever played in a video game before. Her moveset is more varied than ever, and I absolutely had a blast trying out all the new weapons and demons. The summoning never got old, and I enjoyed just absolutely crushing my enemies with a combination of kicks, punches, weapons, and demon attacks. I challenged myself to utilize as many of the combo's and mechanics as I could, and the results were thrilling. Witch time feels as good as ever, even better I'd say as I would tear through the helpless enemies with giant demons.

I may be in the minority but I absolutely love the mini games (that happen when you are playing as Bayonetta). These were an absolute spectacle. They do take a bit to get the hang of, but once I did I felt absolutely unstoppable just tearing through everything. Most of them I wish went on for longer for that very reason... Just as I was starting to master them they ended. At least I'll be ready for my next playthrough.

I also love the different weapon/demon movement options. It was super cool to transform and run jump and glide all over the place. It made both combat and platforming even more varied and interesting.

Boss fights are also excellent, though I'm not sure I'd put them above B2. They all felt different and unique, and appropriately challenging. The Kaiju battles were a bit slow mechanically, but amusing to see play out. The final boss in particular was spectacular, maybe the best in the series.

Unfortunately though, there is a lot bogging this game down. Firstly, it's absolutely shocking to me that this game, which was in development for at least 5 years, can somehow look and run worse than it's predecessor, which was released 8 years ago on previous generation hardware. Obviously there is wayyy more going on here than the previous games, so it's understandable, but still disappointing. I know I certainly have been sick of hearing about the Switch being old and underpowered, but this was the first time that I really felt it (though I'll admit Astral Chain is pretty rough on this end too). Bayonetta 3 is just far too ambitious a game for what the Switch is capable of. I really, really hope we get a next gen port when the time comes, because there is a lot to love about this game, and it deserves to properly optimized.

Another thing that really didn't work at all for me unfortunately, is Bayonetta's voice. Obviously Helena Taylor is to blame here, and Jennifer did the best she could, but everything just falls flat here for me. It's just such a shame, as she was, along with Samus, my favorite female character in gaming.

I'm also not a fan of the structure of the game. It's quite obvious this game went through many iterations before they settled on how it would be designed. I also wonder if it wasn't essentially rebooted after Hashimoto left the company. But the larger, wider levels don't really work for me. There's just not really anything interesting to collect or explore. I do like the idea of platforming challenges, but they all just kind of suck here with the disappearing platforms and timed challenges. I do like the secret hidden verses that trigger normal fights, as I did in previous games, but there don't seem to be nearly as many as the secret challenge rooms, which don't really do it for me. I don't like being transported to the same drab room over and over, and the clear conditions for these were even more obnoxious than past games. I just wanted to be able to have more normal fights against enemies. There is way too much space in the levels between battles, and it made for some awkward pacing.

Jeanne and Viola levels were also a miss for me. Both just felt clunky compared to controlling Bayonetta, and not as interesting.

The ending I'm kind of whatever on. I definitely didn't love it, but it doesn't bother me that much. It is kinda dumb though, but I accept it for what it is. This is a great game with a lot of love and passion put into it with some unfortunate technical and design issues. I am definitely curious to see what they'll do with Bayonetta 4. For now, I'm VERY excited for Origins. Absolutely love the look and concept of it, and it may be as close as I ever get to an Okami like game from them. I'm just glad to see the series expanding, hopefully it has a bright future for years to come.

So credita just rolled.
I cried like a little child with the ending.
I loved the game and the pacing.
I loved the story and the references.
I loved the gameplay, the bosses, the demons, the weapons, the characters.
I loved the amount of stuff mixed into one package. Reminded me of Mario Odyssey.
The game definitely deserves more praise than it's getting and it's a little upsetting to me that while there are certainly games that run and look better on the Switch, Bayonetta 3 is its own unique thing and the experience is really unique.

also lol, right after the credits ran and the ending and plot twists made me cry like a baby, a fucking boss fight of Viola against dark world Bayo lmao. Loved this, really. Will finish tomorrow cause this boss fight is hard as hell, remembering me or Raven Beak of Metroid Dread. Bayonettas from 1 and 2 appearing made my eyes cry of joy too. Didn't think the revelation that Viola being her daughter with Luka and she ending with him is in anyway a down for us queer fans as it's clear enough she had been in love with Jeanne too, also reminded me a bit of Evangelion the Eve and Adam stuff, not to mention Astral Chain. Luke being Rei and Jeanne being Kaworu.

I'm also not a fan of the structure of the game. It's quite obvious this game went through many iterations before they settled on how it would be designed. I also wonder if it wasn't essentially rebooted after Hashimoto left the company. But the larger, wider levels don't really work for me. There's just not really anything interesting to collect or explore. I do like the idea of platforming challenges, but they all just kind of suck here with the disappearing platforms and timed challenges. I do like the secret hidden verses that trigger normal fights, as I did in previous games, but there don't seem to be nearly as many as the secret challenge rooms, which don't really do it for me. I don't like being transported to the same drab room over and over, and the clear conditions for these were even more obnoxious than past games. I just wanted to be able to have more normal fights against enemies. There is way too much space in the levels between battles, and it made for some awkward pacing.J
The game was originally being designed with an open world structure, however it was later rebooted into a more linear structure. I think that probably this caused some problems with optimization.

The game was originally being designed with an open world structure, however it was later rebooted into a more linear structure. I think that probably this caused some problems with optimization.
Really curious how they'll handle 4 on a new generation of hardware. Will they or won't they try to still pull this off or not by that time. It certainly sounds like an interesting idea, but the retooling really took its toll on multiple locations and it just feels off at times. Egypt and France felt much more dense compared to Japan and China, which feel much bigger, but also had tons of negative space contributing little to nothing.

Would love to see it happen, a semi open world action game of this style... Absolutely sign me up!

Really curious how they'll handle 4 on a new generation of hardware. Will they or won't they try to still pull this off or not by that time. It certainly sounds like an interesting idea, but the retooling really took its toll on multiple locations and it just feels off at times. Egypt and France felt much more dense compared to Japan and China, which feel much bigger, but also had tons of negative space contributing little to nothing.

Would love to see it happen, a semi open world action game of this style... Absolutely sign me up!
I think that more than the open world being a problem with Switch's power, it was that it wasn't really turning out as Platinum and Nintendo expected. With the director original leaving half-development Kamiya took a more hands-on approach and Nintendo requested to limit the game's scope to something more similar to the previous entries. If you remember there were quotes from some years ago where Platinum said that they were doing something that had never done before and that would become a new direction for the genre.
So I guess that Bayo3 has been a small step in that direction, however I don't know if they'll be able to continue experimenting with the concept. Bayo 3 had Nintendo behind them to fund it, but their other projects tend to be on a much more limited budget, scope and dates. I guess we might get more smaller steps in this direction in their different games, like how TW101 summons evolved for Scalebound, then were reimagined for Astral Chain and finally achieved their final form (for now) in the Demon Slaves of Bayo3.

But yeah, I would also love to see that. As much as I liked DMCV it made clear to me that the arena->corridor->arena structure has to be let in the past. I enjoyed a thousand times more the more open an varied approach of Astral Chain and Bayo3.

Really liked Bayo 1, Bayo 2 was to bright/colorful to me. It was hard to play through for me. Bayo 3 appears to be more like 2 and I don’t get to start playing it. I’m afraid it’s not for me.

I finished the game yesterday and can't really put to words how much I liked it.
Just incredible. PlatinumGames did an amazing job, and that game was just a celebration of itself. They just delivered.
Will definitely play Bayonetta Origins when it comes and have to finish 1 and play 2 now.

I just learned earlier this week that the Ribbit Libido special attack has unique singing for both Bayonetta and Jeanne. Fantastic.

Jeanne's vocalist sounds the best

Just finished it. Quite disappointed overall, it won't stay in my collection like 1 and 2.
It's a big mess. Platinum should just stop with the Kaiju stuff and mini-games. The "playable" setpieces are a waste of ressources, they are not interesting nor exciting. The levels are too big and mostly ugly save for China and Egypt. All the destroyed urban settings are awful looking and dull. 1 and 2 were so much more interesting and visually appealing. I hated most of the ennemy designs (what even are they?) save for angels and demons. The story doesn't make any sense. Viola is barely used and not that fun to play anyway. The fights are often messy and barely readable sometimes.
For the playabililty, character movement and weapons creativity, I still give it a 7.

My library has really been coming through for me lately; soon my copy of Bayonetta 3 is gonna be ready, and I can finally play it! I'm glad I wasn't able to play right away, because following along with this ST has been wild and now I am extraordinarily curious as to where I'll land on the love it / hate it reaction the game seems to inspire!

Given that combat is the core of Bayonetta's gameplay, given the huge number of moves and given the weapon variety, a Bayonetta game with the same structure and boons as Hades could work really well. Reaching the depths of Hell and/or the top of Heaven as an objective. I would play and replay that.

Given that combat is the core of Bayonetta's gameplay, given the huge number of moves and given the weapon variety, a Bayonetta game with the same structure and boons as Hades could work really well. Reaching the depths of Hell and/or the top of Heaven as an objective. I would play and replay that.
A Bayonetta 3 that actually let you play as Bayonetta fighting normal enemies using Bayo 3's toolset would've been amazing. Alas...

I was digging this game until I played with Viola. It feels like going back in time. Bayonetta is so good to control that using Viola is a nightmare. All my hype and good will died on that fire/lava level.

Can someone say something to convince me to continue playing it again?

I was digging this game until I played with Viola. It feels like going back in time. Bayonetta is so good to control that using Viola is a nightmare. All my hype and good will died on that fire/lava level.

Can someone say something to convince me to continue playing it again?
Viola takes a decidedly different mindset to play that can still be fun in her own way. You just have to be willing to apply knowledge to her playstyle.

Try watching some of these to get an idea.

Bayonetta 3 got a update.
Oh huh this seems like a really solid update

Some stuff that arguably should've been in at launch, but still, this is some good stuff. Is this available yet outside of Japan?

Also, conveniently makes the Origins "demo" easier to access, which is smart now that the game is already announced

So, Viola indeed seems much better, now.

Unfortunately, if you were at all having fun with any of the various glitches, they all seem to be gone, now.

No more insta-killing Rodin with the Kraken + Alraune (weapon) glitch~!

Holy guacamole, just look the new Viola for a spin and the improvement is night and day!

Parrying just feels so much smoother and easier now, and as a result the flow of combat and feeling of empowerment is much better.
Awesome update!

Whoa, I didn't expect an update! And they improved how Viola plays...so is this just "game feel"?

Edit: I read the patch notes. That's awesome, gonna jump back into postgame.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I waited to play this. I started last night and ended my session at the start of chapter 2. Today I played til the start of chapter 9, I'm so tired, but it's so much fun. I'm already thinking about playing it some more, but that will probably have to be another day.

Update on my library copy of Bayo 3: it’s due but the person hasn’t brought it back and the library doesn’t do late fees anymore. :/

This is some 2004 Blockbuster shit

BUT, it seems like that recent patch is a pretty big deal! Maybe for the best.

OK Fami, I have played until the end of the game’s first side chapter, and I have some thoughts. I’ll begin with what I’ve enjoyed:

• The madness! Bayonetta has always been a real goof, and it’s been fun to see that largely continuing here — at least so far. Seeing Bayonetta mess with Enzo as they strolled around New York City made me nostalgic for the series in the best way.
  • Pizza Truck Rodin. I like Rodin, I like pizza, and I like silliness. Suffice it to say I enjoy seeing Rodin, Tony Hawk-ing his pizza truck around the city like a maniac. I also really like his cool new bar.
  • Viola. I haven’t played as Viola yet, but I enjoy her character. She has a cool look, and the teases of how she already knows Bayo & Jeanne is intriguing enough so far.

Unfortunately, some pretty fundamental things have been really bothering me about Bayonetta 3:
  • The look. The character models look great in all of their cutscene closeups, but the severe drabness of this game negates a lot of its visual merits for me. The nearly unceasing greyness gets the occasional pop, but it’s more a pop of light than colour. After putting this game down I redownloaded Bayonetta 2 and, wow. That game just looks so much more vibrant and interesting than this!
  • The performance. The game seems to target 60 FPS, but rarely gets there. The cutscenes and demon slave fights (more on those later) really send the framerate into unpredictability. This is another area where a direct comparison with Bayo 2 was not flattering; not only does 2 look better, it runs better too.
  • The homunculi. They’re just not very interesting enemies compared to the angels et al from Bayo 1 & 2. I don’t think their turning to goo and reforming schtick is all that exciting.
  • The walking. The first two games had areas to roam and little puzzles to solve; I think the problem here is that the areas are too big and too open. It feels like it takes forever to get from one combat encounter to the next, with barely anything in between.
  • The demon slave fights. This is probably the single biggest complaint I have so far. There are a lot of these, and they’re kind of terrible? Every move is super slow, and I feel like the animations of your demon and the enemy rarely mesh in a way that feels like attacks are connecting. It’s all super unsatisfying.
  • Jeanne’s section. This one is a special kind of heartbreaker, because Jeanne rules and deserves better than the crummy 2D stealth gameplay she’s been saddled with here.
I’m going to keep playing for now, but I’ll be honest: it already kind of feels like due diligence at this point. I really like Bayo 1, and I love Bayo 2; this isn’t hitting any of those notes for me so far.

Why does being an adult suck so bad?? 😭
Unless you're a nolifer neet like i am lmao.

OT

Got it on black friday last year and it was ok, not really the best bayonetta tbh one part overly reliant on summons another part lot meh characters and overall it was decent but not the best thats really bout it tbh.

The Bayonetta bits were over the top amazing fun. I loved the monster combos and counters you can do with them, like they are whole other characters.

I really wanted to like Viola, but never got good with her. You can parry offset with her, which Bayonetta can't (just dodge offset), but I found Viola too choppy, or unfluid. No matter how hard I worked, I never felt rewarded... it was easier and more rewarding results to just let Cheshire off leash and mash the recharge button.

As a result the game has some odd pacing with the kinda chore-ish Viola bits.

I heard they tuned her post release though... I haven't tried her for a while.

Me finally getting this game: WOW! This is AWESOME! I'm totally going to play this all day!

Train pussle: No you won't.

Me finally getting this game: WOW! This is AWESOME! I'm totally going to play this all day!

Train pussle: No you won't.
I felt truly idiotic trying to do it and figured they was something wrong with me, then I went online and saw others had the same problem lol.

Back
Top Bottom