• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Awesome Games Done Quick 2022 |ST| Your Annual Boost Power!

Nanashrew

The Sandshrew
Pronouns
He/Him
banner_big2022omkf3.png
Welcome to the Awesome Games Done Quick 2022 thread! Congratulations, you made it through 2021. Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ) is a long-running charity event where the speedrunning community comes together to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. AGDQ 2022 will be running 24/7 from January 9th to 16th, livestreamed on Twitch.TV, featuring many speedrunners from all over the world running many of your favourite games. Viewers are invited to donate in order to unlock bonus games and events, or to enter in to raffles to win cool prizes. Games Done Quick has raised over 28 Million US Dollars for charity since its inception, making it the largest fundraising event for Prevent Cancer Foundation (and Doctors Without Borders)! This year AGDQ will be held online due to the on-going apocalypse.
Want up to date info on Games Done Quick events!? Check out Games Done Quick on Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, and the Games Done Quick official website!

The Prevent Cancer Foundation is a United States-based non-profit organization which is dedicated to cancer prevention and early detection. Founded in 1985, the Prevent Cancer Foundation has won awards for transparency, and can average of 79 cents of every dollar donated goes directly in to the charity’s programs, including cancer-related research, cancer awareness, and reducing the legal and economic barriers to cancer treatment. Find out more at www.PreventCancer.org
Games Done Quick events are partnered with Twitch.TV! You can find all their events (including AGDQ, SGDQ, GDQX, Frame Fatales, GDQ Hotfix, and more!) on their official Twitch page:
Fear not! With Awesome Games Done Quick running 24 hours a day, all week long, you’re bound to miss some great runs. Fortunately, it’s easy to find VODs on both Twitch and YouTube. /r/Speedrun has an updated VOD thread with timestamps for Twitch VODs, and GDQ gradually uploads runs to their YouTube channel. Even if you just missed the beginning of a run and want to rewind a short amount of time, Twitch automatically uploads a VOD of streams even if they’re still live! You can find the current stream in the “Recent Broadcasts” header under Videos on the Games Done Quick Twitch page.
Games Done Quick Twitch VODs: twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/videos
Games Done Quick YouTube VODs: https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

All events, complete with Game, Runner, Runtime, and Donation reader in a handy format which automatically converts to your local time zone! Plan which days to skip out on work or class, or the optimal time to take a “bathroom break.” Keep in mind that the schedule will shift over time as runs finish under- or over-estimate, and additional bonus events are added.

banner_donationjrjmq.png
Want to donate!? There are multiple ways to contribute! Donations can be made directly to PCF via Games Done Quick’s portal. Alternatively, you can buy cool limited time T-Shirt, Buttons, and Banners from The Yetee, an official partner of Games Done Quick. All profits from this merch is donated to PCF via GDQ!
Want to see how high the donation total has gotten? Maybe you want to see the upcoming incentives or prizes? Games Done Quick provides a simple donation tracker!

banner_question_finalqlkr4.png
Q: I really love Awesome Games Done Quick, but Twitch chat is awful! Where can I go to discuss the marathon free of spam, bigotry, and bad memes!?
A: We have a long running community which originally started as a private Twitch chat, and has since moved to Discord! Feel free to join us, just please read #info and familiarize yourself with the rules!​

Q: WHAT THE HECK!? THEY’RE USING GLITCHES!
A: Speedrunning is the process of beating a game as fast as humanly possible! This includes the use of glitches. The number of glitches used varies by game, of course, and there are a variety of categories which each utilize different strategies. The schedule entry between the time slot and the system the game is being run on shows which category will be featured at AGDQ, including “any%”, which is beating the game as fast as possible without restrictions, and “glitchless” or “no major glitches” categories which disallow some or all glitches.​

Q: Dang this is so cool! How can I watch more speedruns!?
A: The Games Done Quick Twitch channel hosts an increasingly varied number of events all year around. Other marathons (including European Speedrun Assembly, and a number of tournaments and community marathons) are regularly hosted all over Twitch. Simply searching for speedruns on Youtube, or glancing at the SpeedRuns.com leader boards will give you a host of awesome runs to watch.​

Last edited:
I love AGDQ. It's the moment I turn my head off and just watch people speedrunning. A few years ago I never thought it would be so fun to just simply watch people gaming, now I actually enjoy it as background activity while I'm doing something else.

I'm so ready for whatever the TASbot team has cooked up for us this year.
Only thing I don't like in the entire event. )=
I guess I understand why some people like it, but I never really saw the appeal... it just isn't for me, I guess. Good thing there's space for everyone, so it's all right!

So excited to see this next week! Been watching for years now. Thanks for making a thread!

I'll never forget AGDQ 2014. I was home all week by myself, didn't have to work and had nothing to do. I discovered AGDQ at the beginning of the marathon and obsessively binged all week, live. Everything was so new and exciting to me, and the Super Metroid race at the end solidified my lifelong appreciation for speedrunning. It's such a cool, niche hobby and I love following the various sub-communities even though I've never run anything myself.

I've tuned into every single GDQ since then, but I tend to watch much less of each new marathon. I'm still looking forward to AGDQ 2022!

I am so ready for AGDQ this year. Can't wait to see what they've got for us, and yes, the TASbot block is always a highlight.

I haven’t been watching any runs, or streaming in general, nearly as much as I use to. I’ll occasionally have oatsngoats on in the background, and earlier this year I binged some of Narcissa’s older Castlevania 64 WR runs, but that’s about it.

That being said, GDQ will always be a big event in my house! Seriously some of the most exciting and funny stuff I watch all year, and the vibes are always right.

I'll never forget AGDQ 2014. I was home all week by myself, didn't have to work and had nothing to do. I discovered AGDQ at the beginning of the marathon and obsessively binged all week, live.

That was my first GDQ too! I was off school for the holidays, and feeling a little sick so I spent what happened to be the first day of AGDQ in bed. Saw it on the Twitch front page, and quickly became “sick” for the rest of the week after watching a couple hours lol.

I use to only really watch sodapoppin up to this point & didn’t know speedrunning was even a thing, so it was quite the enlightenment for me. Now my Twitch following is 98% runners, most who I either found on GDQ or are friends with someone I followed from there.

I’ve been watching these for many, many years and I’ve always loved them. I miss having the crowd in the background, though. Hopefully by SGDQ things will be back to normal again.

On a separate note, ESA Winter, which starts in February (I think?) is going back to an in-person event, and I couldn’t be more excited. Gives me hope for GDQs in the future.

Zelda's Adventure is being run this year by Zelda CD-i community pillar Douggernaught, a friend of mine. It's going to be great, I can't wait.

Another friend, Grumpmeister, is running Taz Mania during the awful block as well. It delights me to see them succeed.

The fact that the both the Pokemon Crystal run and Nier Automata run will be taking place during my work day absolutely kills me.

Good luck to all the runners and AGDQ staff!

Next few weeks are going to be absolute hell at work thanks to the boss just having complete brain rot and last minute decided to pull a project that was due in September to February on top of the other stuff.
So having GDQ as a means to wind down will be soo nice to have

Oh thank goodness, I thought this went up because it had already started and I'd missed the beginning. Love AGDQ.

I'm really surprised to see Metroid Dread missing from the schedule. I assume it was too new when submissions were due, but it feels like a missed opportunity.

It's gotta be a shoo-in for SGDQ, right? Hopefully the extra time allows for cool new strats. Will we see a sub 1 hour by then?

I'm really surprised to see Metroid Dread missing from the schedule. I assume it was too new when submissions were due, but it feels like a missed opportunity.

It's gotta be a shoo-in for SGDQ, right? Hopefully the extra time allows for cool new strats. Will we see a sub 1 hour by then?
Metroid Dread came out a few days after submissions ended.

Let's GOOOOO!! It'll be a good time this year! Make sure you watch my boy Shasta destroy Metroid Prime Hunters on Sunday! :)

I haven't played Mail Mole or Part Time UFO but those both seem like intriguing additions. I'm also curious to see what the Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes run is like!

Not feeling the Yetee shirts this year which is a bummer since I always pick a few up.

So excited though it starts in a few hours! Planning to see the Donkey Kong race and Oracle of Seasons for sure today.

Yeah, I just saw. But eh, I guess. The OPs were community made and very modular by design. Fish wrote it and made the large/long banners, I made the buttons. Tusr used to make the threads in the GAF days, then handed it to Fish, then to Enve with the move to Era, now I do. I was gonna give permission to SinCityAssassin to post the OP on era but I guess things worked out anyway???

Last edited:
I feel the art stuff on the screen is taking up a bit too much space because the game feed seems smaller to me. Maybe it depends on the game because I remember it being bigger.

Nioh is one of those franchises I really want to play someday, but just not enough that it's not languishing amongst the other zillion games occupying that space in my backlog. Maybe I ought to give it a go when I'm done with my current crop of games.

oops, I missed Prime Hunters. But thankfully just in time for DKC2, and will be watching for the rest of the night now!

Last edited:
Metroid Prime Hunters run was pretty cool. I always forget that game exists, but I remember enjoying it a lot at the time. And of course, Donkey Kong Country races are always a GDQ highlight. The games are so optimized and the runners are usually so close. Can't wait to check out the rest of this marathon!

2-D zelda games are always a good time. They always seem to have glitches, but not too wild of glitches.

Edit: Oops, double post!

Really enjoyed the Donkey Kong Country 2 race (a split second between 1st and 2nd!) and Mega Man 2 today. The blindfold Metal Gear Solid 2 level was fairly wild too. Didn’t get into the Axiom Verge 2 and Oracle of Seasons runs like I hoped, but yeah good first day of the marathon that I saw.

I’m looking forward to whenever Gunstar Heroes and Part Time UFO hit the archives tomorrow and plan to catch FF7R Intermission live on Tuesday!

Really enjoyed the Donkey Kong Country 2 race (a split second between 1st and 2nd!) and Mega Man 2 today. The blindfold Metal Gear Solid 2 level was fairly wild too. Didn’t get into the Axiom Verge 2 and Oracle of Seasons runs like I hoped, but yeah good first day of the marathon that I saw.

I’m looking forward to whenever Gunstar Heroes and Part Time UFO hit the archives tomorrow and plan to catch FF7R Intermission live on Tuesday!

The speedrun subreddit always maintains an up-to-date listing of VODs throughout the marathon. I recommend googling it if you don't want to wait for the YouTube vids to upload.

The r/Speedruns VODs link is in the OP

Also that Chicory run was really great. They even had the dev on call!

That Bust-A-Move 4 run was really good and surprisingly intense! Seeing the runner struggle with bad RNG was funny and nerve-racking. Good "couch" commentary too. I used to love playing puzzle mode on Bust-A-Move 2 N64

Monkey Ball, always impressive! Good set of commentators too, if anyone is making a list of enjoyable runts to watch later.

Monkey Ball race was absolutely fantastic. Galaxy race right now is fun, too! Make sure you catch Jaxler's Pumpkin Jack run after! :)

Monkey Ball race was absolutely fantastic. Galaxy race right now is fun, too! Make sure you catch Jaxler's Pumpkin Jack run after! :)
His loud-ass mechanical keyboard made me laugh

EDIT: I finished the pumpkin jack run and it was insane. What a finish! The game looks pretty fun to play casually. I had never even heard of it until this run, but it's available on all platforms including Switch! Decent reviews too.

Last edited:
Monkey Ball race might be my favourite run so far, just great camaraderie between the racers and impressive commentary too.

Excited the Final Fantasy VII Remake Yuffie DLC episode run is starting now! Didn’t realize it was a race too!

Just wanted to comment and appreciate how much logistical effort goes into this event being REMOTE. It's pretty spectacular that the team can pull off an event of this scale with so many variables. They deserve a ton of credit. I've only seen a few minor hiccups, which is remarkable.

That being said, once everything is truly "back to normal", the first in person GDQ with a full crowd of spectators will be a truly special moment.

Back
Top Bottom