• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Asking for a potential future buyer (myself): do you think the PS5 is worth it?

The noise I agree is an issue, but the ugliness and size of the PS5 is also an issue
Yes but I have my PS5 in a cabinet (doors open during use) so most of the time I don't see it, having loud PS4 fan noise every time it's used use to drive me mad.

Considering your special situation (you have never owned one) then yes, absolutely.

But if I were you I would wait for the Pro that's coming later this year.
I missed the part about never having had a PS.
It's an utter no-brainer then, a huge number of fantastic games to discover.
I agree though, I'd consider holding off 6 months for the Pro.

I'd buy it over the PS4 any day for the fast nvme SSD, controller and quietness alone. And it still plays all the PS4 games, and better even with many of them having free PS5 upgrades.

I picked up a PS5 recently and love it! I'd definitely recommend it. While it's true quite a few games wound up cross-gen, they look and play a lot better on the PS5. YMMV but I am sort of obsessed with the DualSense lol. Really wasn't expecting to feel any particular way about it, but I find it legitimately makes games a little more immersive and enjoyable.

Are there five exclusive games that you want to play on it? Also, do you have time to play tethered to a TV?

If yes to both, you have a good chance of getting your moneys worth. Otherwise, keep your $500.

My rule of thumb which has served an old timer like me well these past years is whether the console being considered for purchase has 5 or more games available on it which you consider must plays which aren't available anywhere else. Once that threshold has been passed, the purchase becomes worth it in the long term.

I bought my PS5 as something of an impulse buy back in 2021 when I was provided a golden opportunity to buy one when they were still heavily supply constrained, but in all honesty, I would say that it's only really in the past 12 months or so that I would consider the purchase to be 'worth it,' There just haven't been a huge number of games released for it I consider to be personal must plays. I've has the PS5 for just shy of 3 years now and I've definitely bought fewer games for it compared to its predecessor. Heck I'm looking at my game library right now, and my PS4 games still outnumber my number of PS5 games by a ratio of 3:1. I would say for me it's been a worthwhile purchase now, but it has taken a while to get there.

Time is currently my personal prime factor in this equation. I barely have time with the consoles/games I currently have and play. And despite me not really looking for an excuse to get a PS5, nothing I have seen makes me really want one either... for now at least... but nothing on the horizon either, so...

The noise I agree is an issue, but the ugliness and size of the PS5 is also an issue
This is what still holds mr back. I was hoping for a huge cosmetic overhaul by now but it will never come I'm afraid.

I wouldn't buy a PS4 or PS4 Pro given how difficult it is to buy a controller for it and get hardware support if any console issues. Also most cross gen games are quite miserable on PS4. The price difference between them at maybe 200 Euros is worth it given every single game runs and/or looks better. Either get a PS5 or don't bother IMHO!

Also I would recommend getting opinions from other places as well since you won't get the best opinion on anything relating to Sony here.
Really? I think the replies have generally been pretty fair and balanced takes. Most people ITT even told OP to go for it.

Not even remotely worth it to me personally. I have a PC and Switch, and most 3rd party console games also come to PC. I also don't care for most PS5 exclusives.

If none of the reasons above apply to you, though, then it might a good buy for you, OP. If you wait for the Pro to release, then you might be able to get a slim or og model pretty cheap.

I was thinking about saying "If you have a good PC than no" but then again if you're asking this you've probably already thought about that and aren't interested. So I say get a PS5!

I picked up a PS5 recently and love it! I'd definitely recommend it. While it's true quite a few games wound up cross-gen, they look and play a lot better on the PS5. YMMV but I am sort of obsessed with the DualSense lol. Really wasn't expecting to feel any particular way about it, but I find it legitimately makes games a little more immersive and enjoyable.
The DualSense absolutely adds immersion. The haptics are second-to-none. The controller alone is reason enough to get the PS5 version of a game over another version.

If it had better battery life, it would be the perfect controller. And the battery life is never an issue for me, because I either don’t play long enough to drain it, or I’m using it plugged in to my computer for remote play. The DualSense is the best controller I’ve ever used.

The DualSense absolutely adds immersion. The haptics are second-to-none. The controller alone is reason enough to get the PS5 version of a game over another version.

If it had better battery life, it would be the perfect controller. And the battery life is never an issue for me, because I either don’t play long enough to drain it, or I’m using it plugged in to my computer for remote play. The DualSense is the best controller I’ve ever used.
👆
Could not agree more!

100% on board with this.

The DualSense is the ideal video game controller from every vantage point. I accept no substitutes.

I think the Dualsense is a step back from the DS4 in almost every conceivable way and the haptics are more often a detriment. Not saying people who love it are wrong, just wanting to throw it out there that it does a lot that might not vibe depending on what you want out of a controller.

Tbh if you wanna save budget you might wanna just grab a PS4 and play those games. It's a lot cheaper and there's a lot more to play. PS5 will get you the same thing and some extras for the money, but the extras aren't lot tbh. If you really want a lot to play could also consider going the PC route depending on budget. Cheap PCs or dockable PC handhelds will get a lot of stuff done, but you'd miss out on the latest and greatest without going for a desktop.

I would just consider your budget and your needs more and pick from there. If dropping bucks on a PS5 isn't gonna hurt you and it has what you need then you already know the answer. If you want more than it has or wanna spend less you know what the other options it's just about what you want and budget.

If you have a pc that can play high end games no

If you don’t have a couple hundred spare bucks no.

If neither apply, yes.

There’s a lot on the console.

But there’s no proper exclusives, eventually all games come to pc, if you wanna make use of that tv though it’s pretty worth it.
It’s just very luxurious as far as gaming goes.

If you can buy a good PC gaming, no, it’s not good.

I have a PS5 and I like it a lot, but i have cash to spend. If you are on a tight budget, buy a gaming PC.

Ps.: dual sense is the best controller ever.

Last edited:
I'd buy it if you've never owned a PS console before
^ dont listen to this person
If you never had a playstation console before, buy a used PS2 and a PSP
both are cheaper than a PS5 and their library mogs almost the entire PS4 and PS5 library

Haptics when implemented right can be game changing honestly. They really enhance the experience in Helldivers 2 for example, where big explosions are felt through the haptics with proper directionality and a certified gimmick-lover that just makes me appreciate the game even more. Also in GT7, even though I have a wheel and realistically anything competitive I'll do with that, the DualSense with the haptics and triggers lets you feel the actual limit of the car and road surface in a way no other controller can replicate so if I'm not in the mood for setting the whole wheel up I'll just use the controller.

It's a bit of a double edged sword though, because for example no other racing game I've tried implements it as well as GT7 and it can make it feel a bit lacking in comparison. But when they're done well it really stands out.

You are me.

I personally think the older Playstation consoles would be a better place to start if you're looking to get caught up on Sony's massive library. I got a PS2 after I owned a Wii and I still feel like I'm playing catch-up with older titles. But if you're lacking a high-end PC/console I think the PS5's a good investment.

Oh since you've never had a Playstation, I would definitely say yes.

Even simply for third party games, PS4 and now even PS5 are filled with absolute bangers. One or two years ago, I would have told a PS4 user to wait a bit if they can hold on, but right now I think it's definitely worthwile. I think the "PS5 have no games" memes aren't accurate anymore.

Check out the library, there's plenty more than just action games ! Especially when you consider the PS4 library.One of PS5 best game from last year is a first party exclusive, Humanity, the new game by Mizuguchi (Rez, Lumines, Tetris Effect...), which is an ambitious 3D puzzle game.

If you never had a PS4 then it's definitely worth it simply because even if there aren't many PS5 exclusives, you'll easily be able to keep busy being able to play the best versions of most PS4 games, whether that means PS5 versions of crossgen games or PS4 Pro enhanced PS4 games.

I recently got a PS5 and that's what I've been doing.

Last edited:
No doubt is it a good machine - and if it has enough games for you to want one.. I'd say go? (if the situation allows it)

I'm still waiting for that one game though... that would push me over, not sure what it could be,

I'm speaking as a former Switch user since it used to be my main gaming console (still love it to this day), I impulsively made a PS5 purchase a year ago and I have never regretted it ever since. Not only everything looks and runs amazing there's also a big variety of games to play (especially if you go for a PS Plus subscription), the controller also feels very good and immersive, idk what games made you considering buying a ps5 for but the most likely scenario is you discovering even more and have a blast playing them... totally worth it in my opinion

Oh since you've never had a Playstation, I would definitely say yes.

Even simply for third party games, PS4 and now even PS5 are filled with absolute bangers. One or two years ago, I would have told a PS4 user to wait a bit if they can hold on, but right now I think it's definitely worthwile. I think the "PS5 have no games" memes aren't accurate anymore.

Check out the library, there's plenty more than just action games ! Especially when you consider the PS4 library.One of PS5 best game from last year is a first party exclusive, Humanity, the new game by Mizuguchi (Rez, Lumines, Tetris Effect...), which is an ambitious 3D puzzle game.
Humanity isn't first party (in fact it's on PC even) but yes more people need to play it asap. With how Enhance does their exclusivity deals I can imagine releasing on Xbox and Switch this summer.

If cost is a concern, then I would wait for a sale if you don't mind holding off for a few months. That said, it is absolutely worth a purchase.

Also, PS5 is both a single player AND multiplayer machine. It is very well known for GOTY candidates like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Death Stranding and others. However, the most played games on the system every year are MP games like Madden, EA FC, Fortnite, and now Helldivers 2. It is a great system with a vast library. You can't go wrong!

Depends on how you see it. The PS5 only offerings are still extremely meagre:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games
That doesn't take into account the PS5/Xbox Series/PC only games. If we do that, we could say the same about pretty much every modern consoles as most third party games release everywhere now.
Humanity isn't first party (in fact it's on PC even) but yes more people need to play it asap. With how Enhance does their exclusivity deals I can imagine releasing on Xbox and Switch this summer.
You are right, for some reason I thought Sony funded and published it ! But I thought the same back then for Tetris Effect lol, Sony likes to make it look like they publish some exclusivities with their whole second party nonsense that they entertain.

Quoted by: em
But on the other hand, i've never had a PS, so that's still a big reason to go forward.
Shadow of the Colossus made me the gaming person I am today, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I know you initially disparage character action games, but these damn PS consoles can play

Shadow of the Colossus
Bloodborne
Elden Ring
Demons Souls REmake
Returnal
Armored Core VI
Sekiro
Virtua Fighter 5
CONTROL
WipeOut Omega Collection
Horizon Zero Dawn series
Resident Evil REmake series
Helldivers 2
System Shock REmake (coming soon)
Rise of Ronin
Baldur's Gate III
Robocop Rogue City
Alan Wake II
Spiderman series
God of War series
Pacific Drive
Dead Space REmake
Stray

/list warz

Oh and those Final Fantasy REmake games, if that's your thing- I think they're largely "meh" but I was there the first time around. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♀️

Honestly the performance difference and the quietness of the PS5 invalidate the PS4's entire existence.
Fingers crossed the PS5 Pro is quiet too, because I actively avoid certain games on my Jet Engine 4 Pro unit. 😂

Last edited:
If you've never had a PS4 or played those games, that alone makes the PS5 worth the investment imo. There'll be things to look forward to as well, but the sheer back catalogue of amazing titles (a lot being cheaper, too) are worth checking out in the meantime.

Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Gran Turismo, The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus, Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush/2, Infamous, Uncharted, Everybody's Golf, Wipeout... Just off the top of my head. Lots of variety looking back.

Back
Top Bottom