• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Asking for a potential future buyer (myself): do you think the PS5 is worth it?

carlosfilho

Chain Chomp
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
I've been considering a PS5 purchase for a while. Now that i've gotten an alright 4k tv and haven't been spending much time with my Switch (looking forward to TTYD and might get SMRPG and Endless Ocean sometime in the future, but that's about it for now), the idea of having a PS5 is starting to sound good. But it's still a costly device and though Sony's exclusives are definitely interesting, i still got the idea (which might be an unfair prejudice, idk) that it's still a mostly single-player action games machine. And i want a bit more from a console, especially from one so expensive. And there's all the talk about current gen consoles having not reached their full potential yet. But on the other hand, i've never had a PS, so that's still a big reason to go forward. So i'd like to hear some opinions especially from people who already own it.

Depends a little bit on what you want to play and what you already own aside from the Switch. If you've never had a PS you will also have access to the entire* PS4 library and even some older classics. I think it's worth it for that alone.

Depends a little bit on what you want to play and what you already own aside from the Switch. If you've never had a PS you will also have access to the entire* PS4 library and even some older classics. I think it's worth it for that alone.
Uhm, I'm the kinda guy who buys everything. So maybe I'm not the best to answer.

But I'd say, yeah do it. You'll play all ps4 games too. Tons of cheap and incredible games to get.

You mention you’ve never owned a PS console before. Do you have any other platforms or are you strictly a Nintendo fan? If the latter, then yes absolutely it is worth it. There are some good exclusives, cross gen titles are great on PS5, and you’ll have access to the PS4 library through back compat and used PS4 games are dirt cheap.

It’s definitely worth it for sure. Access to the PS4 library alone makes it worth it.

If you don’t own a ps4, then I would highly recommend the ps5, mostly of the strong third and first party line up of the ps4 era.

plus the SSD and the way the ps5 is quiet when turned on is a plus.

also do you have any games in mind that you would like to play on the ps5?

For someone who has never owned a Playstation console before, you would benefit extremely well by getting a PS5 and a year of PS+ premium. You will have a ton of stuff to play.

For someone who has never owned a Playstation console before, you would benefit extremely well by getting a PS5 and a year of PS+ premium. You will have a ton of stuff to play.
I would personally say deluxe bring a higher value, depending on region, since where I life half of the game line up of premium aren’t included.

Isn't premium the highest tier? I am in the U.S.
It’s premium->Deluxe->Essential

Premium where I live only includes small amount of PS1 and PS2 game and basically no PS3 games, plus premium includes remaster of games you can get dirt cheap just by buying it physically.

For example the Last of us remastered.

Meanwhile Deluxe in my opinion has higher value because you’ll get a good selection of ps4 and ps5 games and a couple of solid indie games.

But that’s my opinion, since there’s a huge likelihood of premium being better value in the USA

It’s premium->Deluxe->Essential

Premium where I live only includes small amount of PS1 and PS2 game and basically no PS3 games, plus premium includes remaster of games you can get dirt cheap just by buying it physically.

For example the Last of us remastered.

Meanwhile Deluxe in my opinion has higher value because you’ll get a good selection of ps4 and ps5 games and a couple of solid indie games.

But that’s my opinion, since there’s a huge likelihood of premium being better value in the USA
Oh okay. I think it goes essential (base tier), extra (your deluxe equivalent) and premium (most expensive tier) in the US.

I was thinking about this a while back and I came to the conclusion that I'd probably go for a PS4, saves money and still has access to most of the games

Personally, no with the caveat that I have a PS4 Pro so that’s making the decision easier for me. I’m also trying to skirt by without getting PS5 and simply getting Switch 2 barring some wild Godfather-offer sale.

As others have said, if you’ve never had any PlayStation before, yes, PS5 is worth it which I’d absolutely co-sign. It isn’t as if I don’t like my PS4 Pro. I just don’t think there’s enough to consider upgrading at the moment. However, you’d be getting everything it can play plus all of PS5’s library.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking that it's not worth buying a PS5 anymore.

Almost all the big PS5 games have also been released on PS4.
We've almost certainly reached the mid-point of the console's life, and the real big PS5 exclusives are bound to arrive towards the end of 2025 and the beginning of 2026.
The release schedule for games on this console is as awful as that of the Wii U (fortunately Sony can count on third parties to sell).

I'm thinking that I won't buy this console and I'll certainly buy the PS6, which I imagine will be backwards-compatible, so I'll be able to get the PS5-exclusive games for less, with possibly a "free" graphics upgrade.

Use the rule of thumb: does it have enough exclusive games to cover the full price of the console? Actual exclusives, cross-gen doesn't count.

It's big and ugly but it's a great machine, controller is amazing and taste dependent, there are tons of great games, despite the mis-steps of late.

If you've never had a Playstation then definitely. There is plenty of great stuff in the PS4 back catalog that isn't on Switch (or PC).

Since you're new to the PS ecosystem, I think it'd be a mistake. I don't know how regional pricing might affect your choice, but with multiplatform games being the norm these days, putting your money into another walled garden doesn't sound like the best choice to me.

If anything, I'd get a cheap PS4 and catch up with whatever it is you're interested in there. The PS5 is still wildly overpriced for what it offers in terms of exclusive games.

I bought one a few months ago, my first PS console since the PS1. I mostly bought it for those first-party single-player action games and have not been disappointed one bit. So far I've played through Spider-Man, Miles Morales, TLoU, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, and Astro's Play Room. I've still got Spider-Man 2 to start, just picked up Gran Turismo 7, and have a few other must-plays on my list, plus a whole bunch of PS4 games to dig into. Haven't had to pay full price for anything either. Yes the Pro is coming later this year but I still think this was a great time to get in.

Of course if you're NOT interested in the single player stuff, different question. But at this point, there's so much good stuff, hard to advise against it if you've got time to play.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking that it's not worth buying a PS5 anymore.

Almost all the big PS5 games have also been released on PS4.
We've almost certainly reached the mid-point of the console's life, and the real big PS5 exclusives are bound to arrive towards the end of 2025 and the beginning of 2026.
The release schedule for games on this console is as awful as that of the Wii U (fortunately Sony can count on third parties to sell).

I'm thinking that I won't buy this console and I'll certainly buy the PS6, which I imagine will be backwards-compatible, so I'll be able to get the PS5-exclusive games for less, with possibly a "free" graphics upgrade.
Couldn't disagree more, In the last month or so, we've had Final Fantasy 7 rebirth, Rise of the Ronin and Helldivers 2 released only on PS5 with god knows how much more to come, we won't get a PS5 Pro till the end of the year, a PS6 is years off.

You mention you’ve never owned a PS console before. Do you have any other platforms or are you strictly a Nintendo fan? If the latter, then yes absolutely it is worth it. There are some good exclusives, cross gen titles are great on PS5, and you’ll have access to the PS4 library through back compat and used PS4 games are dirt cheap.
These are two good questions. What games are you actually interested in playing? Do you have a gaming-capable PC? If so, I think a PS5 becomes a lot less appealing as there is too much overlap in their libraries.

Another question would be why you haven't bought any PS until now. If it's due to fanboyism, a lack of money, or that you're younger, then I say go for it. But if you're in say, your early-mid 20s and haven't felt the need to pick up any PS until now, it might just not be your cup of tea. You could also discover that it's what you really want out of a game console and ditch Nintendo altogether. Hard to say.

You mentioned your perception of it being a single-player machine - this isn't true at all since most of the big online multiplayer games are on PS, albeit not exclusive.

If money isn't too tight and you can easily sell it, I think it's a good buy.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this a while back and I came to the conclusion that I'd probably go for a PS4, saves money and still has access to most of the games
Poorer versions of most of the games in the first couple of years, very little from now on.
Far poorer controller as well as being a noisier console.
Unless you're on a very, very tight budget, makes zero sense to me.

Poorer versions of most of the games in the first couple of years, very little from now on.
Far poorer controller as well as being a noisier console.
Unless you're on a very, very tight budget, makes zero sense to me.
The noise I agree is an issue, but the ugliness and size of the PS5 is also an issue

If you have money for a good PC that can run these games at 1440p-4k around 60fps I would go with that option. Most of the best PlayStation exclusives are already on PC platform only PS5 games that have not arrived are Demon's Souls, Spider-Man 2, and GoW R which are most likely coming within the next 12 months.

But I understand you might want a console rather than a PC I would honestly wait for the PS5 Pro in the holiday we see many games struggling to hit target framerates and resolutions that are acceptable for a 4k TV this year.

If it's your first Sony console and you don't (or plan to) own a gaming PC then yes, i think it's definitely worth it.

You basically have access to the whole PS4 and PS5 catalogue, whatever is already available and will be uploaded on their shitty backward compatibility service (vast majority of those titles are available as individual purchase) and if you are willing to give cloud gaming a shot there's a bunch of PS3 stuff available as well.

If we are talking only about Sony's own output, i think there's quite a bit of variety in genres between PS4 and PS5 as well.

You really need to think about yourself, how are you going to use it, what games draw you to it?

I got a PS5 at launch, but the launch lineup didn't really appeal to me (got it just for Miles Morales). Yakuza, Persona, Final Fantasy, etc. are the reason I got a PS4, and those are largely multiplatform now. I found FF16 a huge disappointment. If you had asked me a month ago, I would've said my PS5 was a huge waste of money.

I got FF7 Rebirth recently, and it's phenomenal. My spouse watched me play it and was so interested that I bought a second PS5 just so we could play together. One game took me from regretting my first purchase to happily owning two consoles.

Nobody can give you the right advice here. You need to understand what kind of games you like and your own use case for a PS5. For me, one fantastic game is enough to warrant buying the console. BotW was that game for Switch. Bioshock was that game on PS3. Yakuza 0 was that game on PS4.

What are your all time favorite games? Are any of them recent games? I'd also be interested in hearing why you need a machine that does more than just "single player action games" if you're interested in the exclusives. If the PS5 only played Sony's single player games, that's still like 20 great games between PS4 and PS5.

If we were during the PS4 era i would have said yes but today my answer is no.

I'll echo someone else's sentiment, If you've never been in the PS ecosystem then it's better to not get in there at all and just get a gaming PC, unless you really want a traditional gaming console experience.
I own a PS5 and i regret buying it, i barely use it. But i also have a gaming PC which is why my perspective is different.

The vast majority of PS5 exclusives come to PC at a later date, the online gaming experience is free, customization with mods is amazing.
All great reasons to invest in a PC and never look back.

If you didn't own a ps4 then a ps5 is a good option if you can afford it.

If you own a ps4 despite how good 7 Rebirth is it alone wouldn't get me to buy a console

I kinda regret getting my PS5 last year. The few truly exclusive games on the system don't speak to me and, although none are deal breakers by themselves, the aesthetics, noise, UI, and Dual Sense are make playing on the system less enjoyable than others.

That said, if you don't have a PS4, gaming capable PC, or an Xbox Series X|S, I think the value proposition is much better. The Slim+Spiderman 2 is consistently on sale for $350-$375 (before taxes/cashback) and offers access to a ton of great games (both single and multiplayer) unavailable on the Switch.

I'd recommend writing down a list of games you want to play on PS5, consider if you can play each one via a different means, and determine if you are REALLY going to play it if you get a PS5. If there is a decent list of games you actually want to play and you need a PS5 for it, then I'd say go for it.

If you've never owned any other PlayStation console and the price of the PS5 is putting you off, you could totally nab a PS4 on the cheap. PS5 for its exclusives alone is not worth it to me yet personally, but PS4 library? Absolutely

I just bought a PS5 last year and Spider-Man 2 + Rebirth on their own have justified the purchase. I had a PS4 in the early years but have a lot to catch up on from the last half. You have even more! I highly recommend it.

Personally for me hard no. To little games I care for. I got one at launch, sold it a few months after. Also I can’t really play in front of a TV for too long anymore, Switch/Steam Deck just spoiled me.

I never had a PS4 so I bought the PS5 at launch. It seems a like a lot of big titles are releasing on both systems still. I'd say it's only worth getting a PS5 if you don't already have a PS4 or are a big Final Fantasy fan. FF16 and FF7:Rebirth are PS5 only.

I wouldn't buy a PS4 or PS4 Pro given how difficult it is to buy a controller for it and get hardware support if any console issues. Also most cross gen games are quite miserable on PS4. The price difference between them at maybe 200 Euros is worth it given every single game runs and/or looks better. Either get a PS5 or don't bother IMHO!

Also I would recommend getting opinions from other places as well since you won't get the best opinion on anything relating to Sony here.

Were late enough in the PS5's life that sales can be pretty decent. (let alone pre-owned). For that reason I'd suggest the PS5 over the PS4... but even the PS4 is pretty good, especially for the $100 or less you may be able to pick one up for.

I feel like PS4/5's lineup has more variety than switch due to 3rd party honestly. But you don't get as many good platformers, party games and some others. But we aren't really in the PS2 era, most 3rd parties go everywhere if its a viable port. And Sony's own higher budget output has slowed.

The kicker is it seems most exclusives will go to PC within 2-3 years. That said a PS5 will outperform PC near the same price due to optimization differences. But then PC and steam sales are generally better. But Sony has decent sales digitally sometimes. Physical and pre-owned discs are a huge money saver though.

Notably some TVs VRR is AMD/PS5 only so I'd look that up if that's a feature you like.

PC gets gamepass which can be pretty good. But then playstation plus deluxe has a great lineup itself, but the price is rough after the increase. Good enough to pick up for a month or two to beat some games I guess.

I guess it depends what you play, whether those games are optimized enough on PC (sadly they often are not), whether you want future games to go above 30/40/60 fps and how comfortable you are troubleshooting a PC. (and man can a PC just not work for seemingly no reason).

Another benefit of PC is upgrading/repairing single parts, its nice to wack a new GPU and be sorted for 3-5 years. You caaaan buy and replace console parts but its not as simple, nor can you really get much benefit out of internal upgrades.

Check out review sites and see if any games that currently aren't available to you look like must plays.
I personally very much enjoy the ratchet and clank games. (Sadly most the games aren't available at all or have poor emulation quality).

If you aren't sure, wait. When the PS5 pro is out, sales or the old console will surely be better. And it may be better to wait for a Sony showcase in like May or something to see if there is much of the horizon.

Yes, it’s big and funny looking. Makes for a great conversation piece at cocktail parties.

Also plays a lot of good video games if you like those.

absolute heathen take:

I didn’t have consoles for years and years

my second-hand 2017 Wii U was exciting

getting a Switch was exciting

and I got a PS4 Slim second-hand in like 2021…

and I like it, more or less — access to a massive library of things that aren’t on Switch…

but… for me, most of what I like did end up on Switch after that. I didn’t really mind the “performance hits.”

I kinda found out that all the shit I wanted access to… it uh. didn’t really speak to me the same way.

like I’m glad I have it. Nintendo Switch Dark Souls absolutely sold me on trying way more From Software games. and I’ve enjoyed those.

but the PS4 advantage for me was a) it’s cheap and b) the games are sometimes cheap. that meant finding out I didn’t ultimately care that much didn’t set me back too far.

nothing I’ve seen about the PS5 makes me think it’s worth the price difference over a second-hand PS4 Slim right now. the vast majority of the library is there, and the few PS5 exclusives are simply not compelling to me (other than the Demon’s Souls remake).

Maybe ask me again if I ever successfully get into Final Fantasy — I’ve bounced off the series almost every time. and, frankly, I am curious about FF7 Rebirth.

but yeah. variety keeps me at the Switch. interesting ports I didn’t experience the first time keep me intrigued. knowing that lots of games will show up from Nintendo with wildly different purposes and styles really makes it fun for me.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone... all things considered, i'll probably get a PS5 in a few months time, looks like the best of both worlds in terms of new games and old ones. I forgot to say i also own a Series S, which is good as a Game Pass device, but the PS5 option still sounds very attractive.

Don’t own a PS5 just yet, but as someone who played (and owns) on three PlayStation systems, for someone in your situation a PS5 would be a purchase that’s worth it.

The PS5 itself might not have reached its potential yet, the amount of PS4 games you can play is enormous. Not just first party releases, but third party games as well. You’ll have access to a fine library of games.

In my opinion, I'd say absolutely not. Get a PC and you'll have access to a bigger library, plus first party Sony games eventually come out on PC.

But that's me, someone who doesn't buy games day 1, and doesn't like most AAA western games like the ones Sony makes. Also, I refuse to pay for online play.

The money you'll waste on a PS+ sub can be added to build/buy a better PC.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone... all things considered, i'll probably get a PS5 in a few months time, looks like the best of both worlds in terms of new games and old ones. I forgot to say i also own a Series S, which is good as a Game Pass device, but the PS5 option still sounds very attractive.
Nice. A suggestion, get the highest tier of PS Plus as that's where the exclusives Nintendo fans would like. Jak trilogy, Dark Cloud/Chronicle, Rogue Galaxy... And if you're ok with cloud gaming it also has Ratchet/God of War/Sly Cooper complete series. Kinda disappointing that cloud is the only way to play those games but I'm hopeful one day Sony will make all of them available natively on PS5. They're working on a new PS2 emulator...

If you've never had a Playstation, I'd wait a bit to see what the price is on the PS5 Pro and how it'll improve current games and if it's not too much higher, I'd get that. You'd have an enormous library of PS4 games all playing better than ever before on it along with all the new stuff.

Current PC prices are so absurdly high, you'll get far better cost/performance out of a PS5 and it's far easier to deal with if you're used to consoles in general. On top of that, PS4 games are dirt cheap very very often and for less than they are on PC like 90% of the time now that Steam's prices have become terrible.

Honestly the performance difference and the quietness of the PS5 invalidate the PS4's entire existence. That console has no reason to even be around and I would never recommend having one of those instead. The extra money on the PS5 will make every single game that's playable on PS4 more enjoyable in every possible way.

Eh kinda, I rebought one last Black Friday and had fun with a couple of the exclusives but I still don’t think there is much imo to justify a purchase just yet.

It really comes down to what you want to play.

Me? I wanna trade my Series S for one just for FFVII and FFXVI, but it will be hard to find someone up to it lol

Considering your special situation (you have never owned one) then yes, absolutely.

But if I were you I would wait for the Pro that's coming later this year.

Back
Top Bottom