• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Are you sold on Super Mario Bros. Wonder?

Are you sold on Super Mario Bros. Wonder?

• Yes! Day one for me.

Votes: 232 78.9%
  • Yes, but I'll be wary of new details just to make sure.

Votes: 34 11.6%
  • No, but I could be swayed if new footage looks promising.

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • No. I don't have any interest in the game.

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters
I'm sold day one but as someone currently playing NSMBU Deluxe I'm hoping to see some QOL changes which while it wouldn't be a deal breaker, it'd certainly make the game more enjoyable.

Without going into too much details I'm mainly hoping that compared to before, the game doesn't throw you back to the world map when you die in a level and instead puts you right back into the action (so not too dissimilar to how Mario Maker 2 does it). Removing as much down time as possible so you never feel like putting down the controller would make the game feel more pleasant to play imo.

Not too dissimilar to how Mario Odyssey doesn't throw you out of the level once you get a moon for example.

I'm completely sold on it. The New Super Mario Bros. games weren't bad by any means, and I would argue that New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is packed full of outstanding courses, some of the entire franchise's best. However, it was time for something exciting and fresh. Could easily become my favorite 2D Super Mario game yet.

I enjoyed a few of the nsmb games for what they were, they're nothing special. But Wonder feels special, I'm actually excited about a new 2D Mario.

I still want to see more, and I don't expect it will be perfect, but I think it's going to be a vast improvement over the previous titles.

Figured I'd bump this thread as we've received a lot more info about the game!

Just to update on where I'm standing, me previous concerns were:
  • Music: So far, the soundtrack seems like a natural iteration from the New! Super Mario Bros. series, which I'm not a fan of. Bah-bahs have been replaced with dah-dahs
The new arrangements sound wonderful! I also love how the music changes whether you're riding Yoshi or if you're in Elephant mode.

• Biomes: Although the new art style looks fantastic, I'm truly hoping that we no longer see the same biomes that we've grown accustomed to seeing in the 2D Mario series. Considering we're now in the 'Flower Kingdom' I'm hopeful that we might be seeing some unique locals this time around. This is not a big concern, but it's definitely something that I'm mindful of.
I do think it's a bit disappointing that the biomes follow the same structure of the NSMB games, but the variety in display looks better here at least. The artstyle and unique backgrounds carry a lot.

• Bosses: The teaser gave us the first look at one of the bosses that we'll encounter in the game. It looks like a Koopaling with a mask, which is disappointing. I'm desperately hoping that they give us some unique characters and designs this time around for the bosses, and not just Koopalings + Bowser.
The new enemy designs are absolutely phenomenal, I love them all. Shame that they've only shown off a boss with Bowser Jr. The only major baddies that we've seen so far are Kamek, Bowser, and Bowser Jr, so I can't conclude whether the Koopalings will be back or not (although I'm assuming they are).

• Gimmick: This is by far my biggest concern, which relates to the Wonder Flower gimmick and level design. I'm hoping that they go crazy with the level design this time around, but my concern stems from the fear that Nintendo might be focusing too much on the 'Wonder' gimmick. Instead of having a memorable design, I'm cautious that the game will focus on, "look at how weird this is!". Additionally, I'm concerned that the music that begins once Mario interacts with the Wonder Flower in the trailer is the same song that will play over and over each time we're in that state.
The music does change, it's not the same song for every Wonder effect! The level design looks interesting enough, and I'm also excited about the badge challenges.

Overall, I feel much better about the game. Although I'm now a bit mixed on how badges will aid or hinder the gameplay, I'm definitely on board now.

The new arrangements sound wonderful! I also love how the music changes whether you're riding Yoshi or if you're in Elephant mode.

I do think it's a bit disappointing that the biomes follow the same structure of the NSMB games, but the variety in display looks better here at least. The artstyle and unique backgrounds carry a lot.

The new enemy designs are absolutely phenomenal, I love them all. Shame that they've only shown off a boss with Bowser Jr. The only major baddies that we've seen so far are Kamek, Bowser, and Bowser Jr, so I can't conclude whether the Koopalings will be back or not (although I'm assuming they are).

The music does change, it's not the same song for every Wonder effect! The level design looks interesting enough, and I'm also excited about the badge challenges.

Overall, I feel much better about the game. Although I'm now a bit mixed on how badges will aid or hinder the gameplay, I'm definitely on board now.
I don't think so. They would have shown them through the opening if that were the case. None of the websites shown or even give a hint of them either.

Not sold just yet. I can’t judge the product just from the footage and info shown but the way I play games seems pretty at odds with this title. The badge abilities got my imagination going at first but it doesn’t seem like any are “required” to finish levels? An interview suggests the levels have a much more open approach to how you finish them which is cool but I usually abstain from abilities unless required so I get some challenge. Hopefully some postgame levels make strong use of badges like the jet run, wall climb, or grapple which look awesome.

The new enemies look really fun and I’m very excited to see how levels make creative use of them. Didn’t really think about how overdue we were for new enemy design until seeing these new fun ones. Eager to see what surprises are behind the Wonder Flowers, crawling pipes and an autorun ball segment weren’t doing it for me but I bet they’re saving the really fun stuff

Not sold just yet. I can’t judge the product just from the footage and info shown but the way I play games seems pretty at odds with this title. The badge abilities got my imagination going at first but it doesn’t seem like any are “required” to finish levels? An interview suggests the levels have a much more open approach to how you finish them which is cool but I usually abstain from abilities unless required so I get some challenge. Hopefully some postgame levels make strong use of badges like the jet run, wall climb, or grapple which look awesome.

The new enemies look really fun and I’m very excited to see how levels make creative use of them. Didn’t really think about how overdue we were for new enemy design until seeing these new fun ones. Eager to see what surprises are behind the Wonder Flowers, crawling pipes and an autorun ball segment weren’t doing it for me but I bet they’re saving the really fun stuff
I feel like some purple coins will require certain badges

Quoted by: GAP
I feel like some purple coins will require certain badges
Makes me wonder if they’ll have a “recommended badge” header for relevant levels or if we’re expected to come back in again with the right equipment the second time. Looks like they really want the levels to come off as highly replayable. Time trials would be fun!

I’m under the impression that some of the badges will help with obtaining collectible items and potentially alternative exits as well as just some that give preferred movement options or assistance through challenging levels.

Unless I’m mistaken we’ve also seen the wonder flower trigger stampeding dinosaurs and transformations into different creatures such as goon as for stealth sequences.

It looks delightful, I'm kind of worried about the difficulty though. There's a lot of new mechanics to let the player tailor their experience, which is nice, but uh, 2D mario already hasn't been difficult in a while.

During the online mode explanation the music is orchestrated and sounds very much like something that would be on Galaxy or 3D World, actually kinda resembles the theme of the Cascade Kingdom of Odyssey. Kind of an orchestrated version of that "main theme/first level theme".

I immediately put it in my wishlist, upon reveal, but have since removed it. I'm looking forward to Mario RPG, and I'd like to play Red Dead, but the only two games I think I'll purchase this calendar year (aside from Metroid Prime Remastered) are Metal Gear Solid Collection and Beyond Good & Evil.

(Full-disclosure: Shortly after I treated my depression, almost ALL gaming got boring. I still enjoy Mario Kart, when they update with new waves, and I'm still slowly working through Metroid Prime - currently chasing down artifacts, to progress, which has become a drag)

Yep, priority number 1. Bing Bang Wahoo is the peak form of video games, and this is the wahooiest I've seen for a while.

I was probably always going to obtain and play the game regardless, but after this presentation I'm more looking forward to the prospect of doing so. Even when the previous games didn't look all that interesting I would still play through them because it's still just fun at the baseline, but now I see the stuff like the badges and I'm super curious to try them all out, to narrow down which I like and adapt it into a preferred play style.

So, the visuals bug me. Something is just off about them. Especially the character faces. They look strangely flat and have some weird shading going on.

So, the visuals bug me. Something is just off about them. Especially the character faces. They look strangely flat and have some weird shading going on.
It might just take getting used to, maybe?

Makes me wonder if they’ll have a “recommended badge” header for relevant levels
You can see in the badges section there's a prompt to press the left trigger (I think) for the 'Prince's Choice'. I assume that's the recommended option for the level.

This is what I'm excited about: the way people will use badges and find secrets in the courses by experimenting. It is what really gets me excited. Combine it with swappable power ups and you have so many options to tackle courses, it really makes replaying courses worth your time.

As someone who just played and completed the challenges in nearly all 2D Mario games in the Famiboards Mario Challenge... I am hyped and sold completely on this game. This will be the penultimate 2D Mario experience and I have no doubts.

cat-yes.gif

??? What's wrong with the visuals and shading? They look gorgeous.
Honestly, a good chunk of it reminds me of a concept art mockup done in photoshop. I agree it's overall better then NSMB, which looked lifeless, but also everything looks a bit off model and flat. Especially the characters.

I agree that the characters look very off-model. I think it's partially to do with the animations, but the models themselves just look a bit weird. At first I thought this was just how the characters would look from now on (Mario's design hasn't really changed since Sunshine) but the promotional renders don't look like this.

Honestly, a good chunk of it reminds me of a concept art mockup done in photoshop. I agree it's overall better then NSMB, which looked lifeless, but also everything looks a bit off model and flat. Especially the characters.
I agree that the characters look very off-model. I think it's partially to do with the animations, but the models themselves just look a bit weird. At first I thought this was just how the characters would look from now on (Mario's design hasn't really changed since Sunshine) but the promotional renders don't look like this.
It's off-model foe sure, but I wouldn't call it flat. I think the way they look adds to the cuteness and playfulness of the game. Plus I think the renders looking the same as always artistically is for brand familiarity and consistency reasons, especially in the case of a mainline 2D Mario game. Spinoffs most likely don't apply here. Although you can say it's misleading.

It's off-model foe sure, but I wouldn't call it flat. I think the way they look adds to the cuteness and playfulness of the game. Plus I think the renders looking the same as always artistically is for brand familiarity and consistency reasons, especially in the case of a mainline 2D Mario game. Spinoffs most likely don't apply here. Although you can say it's misleading.
I agree to an extent. But it does also rub me the wrong way. I think the basic concept could be done better.

Of course, this is nitpicking to an extent. But then again, this is a game forum.

Yes Yes Yes

It does not feel like New Super Mario series ( which isnt an issue, i just would have played it months later)

but this is fresh and im excited

Yes!

I am slightly hyped even. I even dare to say that Wonder could hit similar numbers as TotK did in three days.

I was sold on reveal but I'm now more excited. I'm also curious about the Live Shadows feature.

Back
Top Bottom