• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Are you sold on Super Mario Bros. Wonder?

Are you sold on Super Mario Bros. Wonder?

• Yes! Day one for me.

Votes: 232 78.9%
  • Yes, but I'll be wary of new details just to make sure.

Votes: 34 11.6%
  • No, but I could be swayed if new footage looks promising.

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • No. I don't have any interest in the game.

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters
Hey Fami!

Recently, the reveal trailer for Super Mario Bros. Wonder popped up on my YouTube feed and I viewed it once again after not watching it since its reveal in June. Unfortunately, I'm not sold on the game yet (although I desperately wish to be).

These are the remaining concerns that prevent me from being hyped:
  • Music: So far, the soundtrack seems like a natural iteration from the New! Super Mario Bros. series, which I'm not a fan of. Bah-bahs have been replaced with dah-dahs
  • Biomes: Although the new art style looks fantastic, I'm truly hoping that we no longer see the same biomes that we've grown accustomed to seeing in the 2D Mario series. Considering we're now in the 'Flower Kingdom' I'm hopeful that we might be seeing some unique locals this time around. This is not a big concern, but it's definitely something that I'm mindful of.
  • Bosses: The teaser gave us the first look at one of the bosses that we'll encounter in the game. It looks like a Koopaling with a mask, which is disappointing. I'm desperately hoping that they give us some unique characters and designs this time around for the bosses, and not just Koopalings + Bowser.
  • Gimmick: This is by far my biggest concern, which relates to the Wonder Flower gimmick and level design. I'm hoping that they go crazy with the level design this time around, but my concern stems from the fear that Nintendo might be focusing too much on the 'Wonder' gimmick. Instead of having a memorable design, I'm cautious that the game will focus on, "look at how weird this is!". Additionally, I'm concerned that the music that begins once Mario interacts with the Wonder Flower in the trailer is the same song that will play over and over each time we're in that state.
As I mentioned, there are things that look amazing here. The art style is fantastic and refreshing, the movement looks fluid and fast, and the reveal of Elephant Mario makes me hopeful that they're guarding a lot of neat reveals close to their chest. However, the aforementioned points have me cautious this time around.

What about you?
I am extremely hyped for this game. But I want you to see why I don't have the same concerns that you do.

Music:
The music actually doesn't take after NSMB at all. The style, and genre is actually way different, more like Ragae. It actually has Mario Sunshine's DNA when it comes to the music.

Biomes:
It is not really the fact that it being a grassland, or desert area that's the problem. NSMBU's problem, is that they literally did those biomes in the same way. Even imaginative platformers like Mario Galaxy, Super Mario World, has the same biomes. However, what does matter is it unique, which we see. Like a jungle biome with waterfall clouds. And for what it's worth, we see new biomes. We see a factory, a chocolate mountain-esque biome, an underground grassland, a toybox. And even your standard grasslands actually take place in either different seasons, or has different lighting, using different color palletes.
Bosses:
That wasn't koopaling. It's bowser Jr. Which is pretty standard. However, he seems to be using his paint mechanic again.
Gimmick:
You are probably right on the money there, but that really doesn't bother me. Take a look at Yoshi's Island, where the main gimmick of transformations is "look at what weird thing Yoshi turns into". It still made for a very memorable and good game. In addition, sometimes spectacle does work to spice up a level. And it seems a lot more gameplay heavy and less gimmicky than most 2D Platformers gimmicks.

Yep. At this point I won't be watching new trailers. The concept of seemingly every level being incredibly unique is something that sets Mario 3 apart from all other 2D Marios and I'm glad it's back.
And if one of the future trailers shows something worrying, I know I'll be reading manifestos about how Nintendo is doomed and Mario is dead in 5 seconds anyway, so I'll know.

I don't know why but the style doesn't do much for me. Looks abit off.
What they have shown didn't intrigue me too much but it seems to be going for 'weird' so maybe a lot of surprises are still waiting.
Won't buy it Day 1 but might a bit later.

I did not buy NSMBU or Luigi in the end.

It's not really weird to not be fully on board just yet, we've seen what - 2,5 minutes of it?

With that said, it was more than enough for me as I am very much sold on it.

My biggest problem is rather... This is something I would like to give to my daughter for christmas, but theres just no way I can wait 2 months to play it :p

Here's something weird I realized.

The last non-Maker 2D games, NSMBU and Wonder, came out 11 years between each other.

In 1985, the Mario series went from the original SMB to Mario 64.

I mean I am but I can understand if people are of the belief that "we have only seen one trailer. I need more to be convinced." Like that's reasonable.

I'm day one cause I'm always day one for Mario.

Day1 for sure! TBH I love playing 2d Mario games with my nephew so I know we will have a blast!

Sold? Yes.

Excited? Yes.

Getting it on launch? No,
but only because Spider-Man comes out the same day and I ain’t about to risk getting spoiled on that.

I’ll get the same time as Mario RPG and do a double feature.
Forget Barbenheimer, it’s time for Wonderpg!

Nintendo's has a bit of a track record with underwhelming reveal trailers, even with Mario 3D World, when it looked like an HD version of 3D Land, then future trailers turned out to reveal so many more features that the game has.

I'm feeling like that might be the case with this. We saw the wacky wonder gimmick, but I'm thinking there's still more stuff to peel away that future trailers will reveal.

Sold? Yes.

Excited? Yes.

Getting it on launch? No,
but only because Spider-Man comes out the same day and I ain’t about to risk getting spoiled on that.

I’ll get the same time as Mario RPG and do a double feature.
Forget Barbenheimer, it’s time for Wonderpg!

What if the story and ending for Wonder gets spoiled?

I don't think the art style is as good as a lot of people seem to and the music is nice but not amazing so far (though I'm not judging it on that yet, probably just the theme they thought would go well with the trailer).

That being said, I'm pretty hyped for it. I will say it's funny though how much of the discussion around this game is "NO, IT'S NOT LIKE NEW SUPER MARIO BROS AT ALL! YOU'RE WRONG!"

Is there even anything to get spoiled in this Spider-Man game? It's the symbiote plot-line.

I'm just thinking back on Spider-Man 1 (the game) and can't even really remember the story.

What if the story and ending for Wonder gets spoiled?

I’m actually more concerned about getting the fun little quirky things and areas in Wonder spoiled more than anything in the story.

For Spider-Man, after they spoiled that huge Prison sequence in an E3 showscase in the first once, I want to go in as blind to the story as possible

Is there even anything to get spoiled in this Spider-Man game? It's the symbiote plot-line.

I'm just thinking back on Spider-Man 1 (the game) and can't even really remember the story.
There were some really good surprises in the first game.
Jefferson Davis was a pretty major character in the first half, so his death was a big shock.

Then the fact that Doc Ock was in the game, much less that he was the main villain wasn’t revealed in the marketing at all. That was a big suprise.

Then the biggest one was Aunt Mays death. That was something no one saw coming.

I expect the second to have some major twists and turns that aren’t apparent from the marketing yet

The only Mario platformers I didn’t get ASAP since Mario 64 are NSMB2 and NSMBU (and I ended up getting both later). Getting this and SMRPG with vouchers is a no brainer to me. Definite day 1.

I'm sold on it mainly on virtue of it being the latest mainline SMB entry, and also because of the principle of things going mayhem when you pick up a flower. That's just too funny lol

It looks a bit NSMB-y, so I'll wait to see more.

Wish they went back to the pixel sprite days.
Let's be real, they're never going back to using sprites. This style however with the dream like comic book aesthetic is the next best thing.
Yes, easily. I’ve been picking Princess Daisy at every turn since 2000 because I knew no one else would so I’d always get the character I wanted. Her surprise appearance in Super Mario Run was coolio and all; Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the big leagues, baybeeeee!
It has Daisy. I preordered it the moment it was available.
Not to mention Peach and Yoshi. With the former it means you won't have the same cliche plot of Bowser kidnaps the princess, go save her and this also means it won't end basically the same exact way. With Yoshi it means he's no longer just a riding mechanic(at least with 2D Mario).

Last edited:
Yeah. First 2d Mario in 11 years. Even if it's still got some of that "New" DNA I'm still really excited for it.

You’re probably right though I’d love to see some cel-shading if only to shake up the look of polygonal Mario games.
I get that. Surprisingly, they did more or less what I was imagining, which was making the characters look and move sort of like stop motion figures. It looks really nice and it breaks a lot from the NSMB days.

I get that. Surprisingly, they did more or less what I was imagining, which was making the characters look and move sort of like stop motion figures. It looks really nice and it breaks a lot from the NSMB days.
No complaints from my side based on what we’ve seen so far. The new animations are [chef’s kiss].

• Gimmick: This is by far my biggest concern, which relates to the Wonder Flower gimmick and level design. I'm hoping that they go crazy with the level design this time around, but my concern stems from the fear that Nintendo might be focusing too much on the 'Wonder' gimmick. Instead of having a memorable design, I'm cautious that the game will focus on, "look at how weird this is!". Additionally, I'm concerned that the music that begins once Mario interacts with the Wonder Flower in the trailer is the same song that will play over and over each time we're in that state.

Honestly the Wonder Flower seems less like a gimmick, and more of a way to introduce even more handcrafted/setpiece-like level design.

All the wonder flower effects looked pretty unique and themed to the stage, no?

I'm sold on it being good enough to buy day 1. I'm not sold on it being in that SMW/DKJB/Rayman Legends tier of 2D platformers yet.

no but personally speaking I have essentially zero interest in 2D platformers in general so it would be pretty difficult to make me interested in it

Am I sold? They would have to report that the game is causing a mass brickage of all Switches that run it to stop me from buying it, and even then I am not sure if that would be enough to stop me.

I seriously believe there is so much more to show. I am so excited to play with my nieces and nephews haha

Hmmm not yet, I need to see more. The NSMB series had disappointed me greatly, none of them even challenged Rayman Legends to be the greatest 2D platformer ever. This looks like it has a chance. Doesn't seem to be reheating ancient mechanics one more time for the nostalgia effect but that short trailer didn't show enough to be sure. Cannot wait for Gamescom to see more.

I'm a little bummed that the multiplayers don't seem to incidentally interact with each other. Along with that, the camera looks less dynamic in zooming out a bit to accomodate the players spreading out on the screen.

I also worry that the powerups or Wonderflowers are perfunctory and just a scripted excuse to mix up the gameplay but otherwise inflexible and decrease the possibility of true spontaneity or improvisation. Like I wonder (sorry) how skipping the Wonderflowers would affect (by not affecting) the level. I'd be more interested in it if it was full blown RNG and there's no telling what it will do before you touch it. Or is it the same reaction at that spot and just a conceit to change things in varying drastic ways.

Artstyle discourse baffles me. The character's heads are turned a quarter from full profile when they walk or run a la Super Mario 3 and World. New series was a reference to the original. Wonder and NSMBU are not significantly different looking. Either find your words to describe what you like about the artstyle instead of just baselessly coming in to diss the best 2D Mario game using the shiny new Mario along with a heaping dollop of confirmation bias to say literally nothing else.

Mario was always weird. That was what I liked about the series. It’s just a return to form for me and I’ll be there day 1.

I have the voucher ready, i just want to see a new trailer, not because i'm not sold but because i really want to see more of the game.

Absolutely, for many reasons. I used my remaining voucher to pre-order it, it looks amazing and it's so refreshing to finally be out of the "New SMB" style.

Wonder and NSMBU are not significantly different looking. Either find your words to describe what you like about the artstyle instead of just baselessly coming in to diss the best 2D Mario game using the shiny new Mario along with a heaping dollop of confirmation bias to say literally nothing else.
The NSMB bashing is too much but it's not baseless. After four games in a row (Wii, 2, U, Super Mario Run) of reusing the same sound effects, voice clips, models, animations- some of which were left unchanged from the first NSMB on DS (and Super Mario 64 DS by proxy), cast of characters (with scant new additions), bosses, and especially music, those games were bound to get people antsy for something different.

To outsiders looking in, it might seem silly to gas up small things like smear frames and Mario having a painted mouth- but sometimes a little goes a long way. Even the three-quarters view on the characters is a significant visual change from NSMB.

Day 1, seems like the most creative 2D Mario since Yoshi's Island.

So let's forget that the NSMB series ever happened.

Back
Top Bottom