• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Are you sold on Super Mario Bros. Wonder?

Are you sold on Super Mario Bros. Wonder?

• Yes! Day one for me.

Votes: 232 78.9%
  • Yes, but I'll be wary of new details just to make sure.

Votes: 34 11.6%
  • No, but I could be swayed if new footage looks promising.

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • No. I don't have any interest in the game.

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters

Truno

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey Fami!

Recently, the reveal trailer for Super Mario Bros. Wonder popped up on my YouTube feed and I viewed it once again after not watching it since its reveal in June. Unfortunately, I'm not sold on the game yet (although I desperately wish to be).

These are the remaining concerns that prevent me from being hyped:
  • Music: So far, the soundtrack seems like a natural iteration from the New! Super Mario Bros. series, which I'm not a fan of. Bah-bahs have been replaced with dah-dahs
  • Biomes: Although the new art style looks fantastic, I'm truly hoping that we no longer see the same biomes that we've grown accustomed to seeing in the 2D Mario series. Considering we're now in the 'Flower Kingdom' I'm hopeful that we might be seeing some unique locals this time around. This is not a big concern, but it's definitely something that I'm mindful of.
  • Bosses: The teaser gave us the first look at one of the bosses that we'll encounter in the game. It looks like a Koopaling with a mask, which is disappointing. I'm desperately hoping that they give us some unique characters and designs this time around for the bosses, and not just Koopalings + Bowser.
  • Gimmick: This is by far my biggest concern, which relates to the Wonder Flower gimmick and level design. I'm hoping that they go crazy with the level design this time around, but my concern stems from the fear that Nintendo might be focusing too much on the 'Wonder' gimmick. Instead of having a memorable design, I'm cautious that the game will focus on, "look at how weird this is!". Additionally, I'm concerned that the music that begins once Mario interacts with the Wonder Flower in the trailer is the same song that will play over and over each time we're in that state.
As I mentioned, there are things that look amazing here. The art style is fantastic and refreshing, the movement looks fluid and fast, and the reveal of Elephant Mario makes me hopeful that they're guarding a lot of neat reveals close to their chest. However, the aforementioned points have me cautious this time around.

What about you?

It's a new Switch game when almost everyone this year has been great, and they're at least trying to get away from NSMB. Day 1

Well, it's a mainline Mario game; the first original 2D console game since 2012.. even without any of the changes they presented, I'd be there on day one.

Though I still hope they don't exceed on the "weirdness" for taking a radical approach on everything people complained about the NSMB games; Sinning by the excess, you know?

But it looks like a fun time!

They could've just said "we're releasing a new 2D Mario that isn't NSMB or Maker" and then shown literally nothing, and I'd probably be in on day 1.

The music is way better, but I guess it’s similar if the only thing you notice is synth vocals

It honestly doesn’t look all that interesting to me but I’m still gonna buy it immediately. My wife and kids can’t wait to play it, so I suppose I’ll be forced to as well. I am infinitely more excited for the next 3D Mario.

edit: I agree with OP that the gimmick is my main concern. I feel like adding a bunch of weirdness is gonna take away from what makes Mario, well, Mario. Let’s hope it doesn’t get much crazier than what is shown in the trailer (it will).

Last edited:
I don't need to see anything else. In fact, I'll probably not watch any other trailers for it. I'm fully aboard the hype train.

I think the only time I wasn't day-one sold on a 2D Mario was when they tried to sell two new New Super Mario Bros. games about 100 days apart.

I’m already way in the bag for anything first party Nintendo. However, the game looks like it has legitimate new ideas, which is something 2D Mario games have needed arguably since Mario 3. They had me at Elephant Mario.

Yes and day one !

I really like 2D Mario. When I saw Super Mario Bros Wonder, I was immediately convinced by the visual style and the new features they introduced !

Like @Earthbounder, I'll probably not watch any other trailers for it.

It's 2D Mario unleashed, which has happened in 3D Mario since Galaxy, but somehow took a long long time to happen in the 2D realm. I'm sold

Not entirely sold, no. It doesn't look like enough of a progression from the NSMB series to me. Looks like more of the same but with a cool wonder flower gimmick that should be fun.

Yeah 2D Mario is one of my series that I will always pick up the new game no matter what.
It does look like it will be a good game but even if it didn’t I’d still be there day one

Yes, but only cus I have a voucher spare from when I got Zelda. Not sure if I'd pay full price

Hey Fami!

Recently, the reveal trailer for Super Mario Bros. Wonder popped up on my YouTube feed and I viewed it once again after not watching it since its reveal in June. Unfortunately, I'm not sold on the game yet (although I desperately wish to be).

These are the remaining concerns that prevent me from being hyped:
  • Music: So far, the soundtrack seems like a natural iteration from the New! Super Mario Bros. series, which I'm not a fan of. Bah-bahs have been replaced with dah-dahs
  • Biomes: Although the new art style looks fantastic, I'm truly hoping that we no longer see the same biomes that we've grown accustomed to seeing in the 2D Mario series. Considering we're now in the 'Flower Kingdom' I'm hopeful that we might be seeing some unique locals this time around. This is not a big concern, but it's definitely something that I'm mindful of.
  • Bosses: The teaser gave us the first look at one of the bosses that we'll encounter in the game. It looks like a Koopaling with a mask, which is disappointing. I'm desperately hoping that they give us some unique characters and designs this time around for the bosses, and not just Koopalings + Bowser.
  • Gimmick: This is by far my biggest concern, which relates to the Wonder Flower gimmick and level design. I'm hoping that they go crazy with the level design this time around, but my concern stems from the fear that Nintendo might be focusing too much on the 'Wonder' gimmick. Instead of having a memorable design, I'm cautious that the game will focus on, "look at how weird this is!". Additionally, I'm concerned that the music that begins once Mario interacts with the Wonder Flower in the trailer is the same song that will play over and over each time we're in that state.
As I mentioned, there are things that look amazing here. The art style is fantastic and refreshing, the movement looks fluid and fast, and the reveal of Elephant Mario makes me hopeful that they're guarding a lot of neat reveals close to their chest. However, the aforementioned points have me cautious this time around.

What about you?
That's Bowser Jr., not a Koopaling. Plus, being weird and wacky is what we need from Mario, so the Wonder Flowers and Wonder Effects are fantastic additions. These things haven't stop Mario from having great level design. What is your take on the NSMB Series when it comes to their overall quality and level design?

Last edited:
It's a new Mario platformer. I'd be sold without a name, trailer, screenshot. I'd buy it blindly without knowing anything about it.

I'm sold. Probably not day one, but definitely during the holiday season. It looks great, weird and deep, and I love that it has multiplayer co-op.

It'll be the perfect way to help ring in the 40th season of my life. After all, Mario's been a part of my life for going on 35 of those years!

It honestly doesn’t look all that interesting to me but I’m still gonna buy it immediately. My wife and kids can’t wait to play it, so I suppose I’ll be forced to as well. I am infinitely more excited for the next 3D Mario.

edit: I agree with OP that the gimmick is my main concern. I feel like adding a bunch of weirdness is gonna take away from what makes Mario, well, Mario. Let’s hope it doesn’t get much crazier than what is shown in the trailer (it will).
I disagree with this. Mario is a IP that's supposed to exude a wacky and creative feel. The concept of the Wonder Flowers is perfect for that. That was one of the biggest issues with the NSMB games. None of them had any wacky/weird(in a good way)/creative ideas. Their idea of a main gimmick during those years were either pointless, dull, or both.

Last edited:
  1. It's officially wa-waaa. And those voices clips are groovy as hell and I'll never understand the hate.
  2. Biomes? You mean level themes right? Well, the problem with previous NSMB games is that the themes often looked the same across the games. NSMBU changed up the backgrounds a bit, but it still wasn't a radical departure. Here at least the backgrounds and colour schemes are a lot different than before. Plus the Wonder gimmick changes things up even more. If anything, sticking to more vanilla themes probably helps the Wonder transformations be more impactful.
  3. As long as the bosses are fun.
    VAjHvMW.png
  4. Not too concerned here. Mario level design is basically introduce a gimmick, build on said gimmick, challenge the player with the gimmick. Looking at the trailer I'm guessing they'll introduce an idea and the Wonder part is how they build upon it.

it looks like a successor to NSMB with a small infusion of style and identity

that's all it needs to be, and that's all i really want

It's a 2D Mario.

It looks charming.

It looks quirky.

Yep, that's a day 1 buy for me.

Day 1, the first trailer sold me. A long overdue shot in the arm for 2D Mario. This game has a visual and gameplay identity that SMB sequels were starting to lose in the early 2010s.

I'd have been conflicted about buying a 2D Mario if they announced another NSMB style sequel instead of Wonder.

Last edited:
Definitely! But i always want to see more details before I commit to anything. At the moment I’m not as excited for it as i am for say, Starfield. But im more excited for it than I am for Spiderman 2

I think Wonder will be for 2D Mario what Odyssey is for 3D Mario.

As such, I’m 1000% sold.

I'm totally sold but voted for the second option because I definitely won't have money to buy it at launch. I have yet to buy TotK btw.

But the reveal trailer alone showed me it's gonna be a lot of fun and packed with content. I can't wait for the next trailer. Nintendo really gonna make us wait til September for a second look, aren't they? 😭

If I look at trailer for too long it kind of starts to look like NSMB but I think that's just the general Mario-style which favours readability more than series like DKC and Rayman.

Though The Koopas and Wigglers on roller skates remind me of something you'd see in the more maximalist Yoshi's Island/Story where every mainstay enemy had a twist I hope too see more like that.

I need to see more but will give it a shot. It will sell well regardless of quality, as you see with NSMBU. Though this one looks good at least.

Yes I'm all in

It will sell well regardless of quality, as you see with NSMBU
Tbh NSMBU is real good imo, once you get past the bland and sterile art style; I think it suffers from those aspects a lot, but the core mechanics and design are really great.

It's the first non-NSMB/Maker 2D Mario released since before I was born, of course I'm in

Yes, easily. I’ve been picking Princess Daisy at every turn since 2000 because I knew no one else would so I’d always get the character I wanted. Her surprise appearance in Super Mario Run was coolio and all; Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the big leagues, baybeeeee!

Last edited:
I am for the following reasons.

• The art style looks different compared to the "new" series that we have been getting for 17 years.
  • The music slaps.
  • The overworld map looks incredible. I am hopeful that there will be secrets all over the place.
  • Elephant Mario
  • Several playable characters, including Daisy.
October 20th can't get here quick enough.

If I look at trailer for too long it kind of starts to look like NSMB but I think that's just the general Mario-style which favours readability more than series like DKC and Rayman.

Though The Koopas and Wigglers on roller skates remind me of something you'd see in the more maximalist Yoshi's Island/Story where every mainstay enemy had a twist I hope too see more like that.
Not to mention the enemies, which they're plenty of new original ones and unique takes on existing ones, which the NSMB Series also lacked. Now grant you there was new enemies in those, but for each entry, there was way too little of them and hardly any of them stood out outside of like Goombrats. And they debuted in U.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom