• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Antonblast releases on Nintendo Switch and Steam - demo today. Game release on November 12

Played a bit of demo, and this demo is much better than previous demo from 2022 on PC. Looking forward for this.

Played the demo, a lot of stuff is great, but I kinda feel the moveset is a tad bit too complicated for its own good maybe? Don't mind stuff like that in a Metroid-like, but in a platformer I feel like it's always better to keep it as simple as possible.
This was my exact impression also. Controls are too complex for me.

I just played the first level of the demo and... probably a very unpopular opinion but... I hated it.

Sure, the visuals are great, the pixel art is gorgeous, but that's it.
To me it's an extremely obnoxous platformer and the equivalent of shaking keys in front of a baby. Also most of the time, I just cannot see what I'm doing and it gets much worse during the escape moment when a giant ship fly in the foreground and hides everything you see for a few seconds, on multiple screens.

Also, the character is so fast that I missed a lot of collectables or paths that I couldn't check back because most of the time it's from linear sections that only brings you forward in the level.

I guess this isn't a game for me. One day, Wario will come back and claim back his throne. I just hope it won't be a "go to the end of the level, activate a timer and go back to the entrance".

Surprised people here think the moveset is too complex when there's like... 4 moves.
A dash that you can chain for speed,
A Crash Bandicoot slide and ground pound,
And a bounce.

Also if you're having visibility problems just turn down or turn off screen shake.

Quoted by: em
Surprised people here think the moveset is too complex when there's like... 4 moves.
A dash that you can chain for speed,
A Crash Bandicoot slide and ground pound,
And a bounce.

Also if you're having visibility problems just turn down or turn off screen shake.
It's not necessary the number of moves, rather their implementation. Wario and Mario have a ground pound, but it's performed by pressing down in the air, not a separate button. Wario and Mario can crouch/slide, but it's also performed by pressing down on the ground, not a separate button. Wario and Mario can bounce (off of enemies), but by pressing/holding the jump button as they land, not by pressing the dash/run button earlier in the jump. And the platforming feels both loose and unforgiving at once (compare the timed climbing levels in Super Mario Wonder).

The visibility issues aren't limited to screen shake. There's the airship that obscures your view for a bit, there are screen transitions where it's unclear where you've emerged, and there's just a lot of visual noise everywhere.

It's not necessary the number of moves, rather their implementation. Wario and Mario have a ground pound, but it's performed by pressing down in the air, not a separate button.
87e8aa5f1fdc950b88eae7d7c62ed185c8a6373c845090bbdb2e2cf039b38da1

(It was actually down in the air in the first demo, they overhauled the whole thing in this demo, and I like it better this way)
Wario and Mario can crouch/slide, but it's also performed by pressing down on the ground, not a separate button.
You can press dash and down to slide, it's just also on a separate button like the Crash games.
Wario and Mario can bounce (off of enemies), but by pressing/holding the jump button as they land, not by pressing the dash/run button earlier in the jump.
You can bounce off of enemies like this in Antonblast too, this is just more a Scrooge McDuck/Cranky Kong cane bounce.
There's the airship that obscures your view for a bit, there are screen transitions where it's unclear where you've emerged, and there's just a lot of visual noise everywhere.
The Airship is only in front of your view for one screen where there's nothing in your way and then you run away from it a couple of screens later. I never once had a problem of "where am I" once I exited a screen transition.

The airship section is also explicitly a challenge route. If you fail it, you get sent to another route.

Back
Top Bottom