• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Animal Crossing |ST| Turning Over a New Leaf

What is your favourite Animal Crossing game?

• New Horizons

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • New Leaf

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • City Folk / Let's Go to the City

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wild World

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Population Growing

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cevan

☆彡
Pronouns
he/him
header.png

Animal Crossing |ST| Turning Over a New Leaf

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to Animal Crossing!

First released in 2001 on the Nintendo 64 as Dōbutsu no Mori, Animal Crossing is a social simulation video game series developed and published by Nintendo. The franchise is composed of five main series and two spin-off games - the latest of which, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, was released on March 20th 2020.

Animal Crossing main series

New Horizons (2020) New Leaf (2012) City Folk / Let's Go to the City (2008) Wild World (2005) Animal Crossing (2001)
games.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lego.png

Lego Animal Crossing

Set to be released in March 2024
LEGO® Animal Crossing™ Toys & Merchandise | Official LEGO® Shop

news2.png

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise

Released: November 5th 2021
Animal Crossing: New Horizons 2.0 + Happy Home Paradise |ST|

next.png

next2.png

There's currently no word on when we can expect the next game in the Animal Crossing series. However, with four years since the release of New Horizons (and three since Happy Home Paradise), we can reasonably expect that a new game is in the works.

As Nintendo gears up to release its next console, the next Animal Crossing game will likely arrive between 2025 and 2026.

Animal Crossing Series Official Website Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Last edited:
Set up a New Leaf town recently after not playing since New Horizons released, having a lot of fun with it. I've just unlocked the Shoe Store and gotten the Super T&T store.

I've really been wanting to pick up my abandoned New Leaf town lately, still my favourite Animal Crossing to date and it's the upcoming tenth anniversary of the game so seems super fitting to get back into it

I have a HUGE soft spot for Wild World and the culture around that game from Animal Crossing fansites. It was around the time I was starting to get old enough to be browsing online forums.

New Leaf seems like the natural evolution of that game in a lot of ways so I guess that one is my favorite.

God, I didn't realize there were 8 years between New Leaf and New Horizons.

I suppose it makes sense given the jump from 3DS to HD, but wow, didn't feel like it was that long. I'm sure Welcome Amiibo helped there.

I started a New Leaf town back in June and was surprised by just how rich an experience it is. It's as different from New Horizons as cheese from chalk

I have a HUGE soft spot for Wild World and the culture around that game from Animal Crossing fansites. It was around the time I was starting to get old enough to be browsing online forums.

New Leaf seems like the natural evolution of that game in a lot of ways so I guess that one is my favorite.

I experienced something similar with New Leaf though it was engaging with the community mainly through Tumblr lol. It's still pretty interesting to me how a lot of what became considered controversial within the New Horizons community actually originated from New Leaf, and how back then it was all considered pretty regular stuff - selling and trading villagers, exploiting turnips, hacked towns, etc. I'm sure some of that stuff goes back even further still

It's kind of a shame that New Horizons came out immediately when pandemic lockdowns began, because my wife and I played it to absolute hell and back in the months that followed and now I don't think I will ever, ever be able to play it again. 😂 I wish I would have had a more natural, "I'm going to play this 20 minutes a day for years" AC experience!

I like New Horizons, but my vote for favorite goes to the original on Gamecube, just so much charm/such a unique atmosphere in that game.

just stumbled upon this twitter account that posts renders from Dōbutsu no Mori / Population Growing and it's always a pleasant surprised to be reminded of how much character these games in particular had. maybe it's just a product of its time, but I love early 00s stuff, so I hope they somehow reincorporate a quirkier personalty back into the modern iteration of the franchise

This seems a good place to ask

Never played Animal Crossing but I have got a copy of New Horizons on Switch, I was thinking of playing it now as I guess Halloween/Xmas events would be coming up soon? Will any events/items I missed be obtainable still, do they still run stuff like that?

Also, is it worth me getting the Paid DLC add on?

This seems a good place to ask

Never played Animal Crossing but I have got a copy of New Horizons on Switch, I was thinking of playing it now as I guess Halloween/Xmas events would be coming up soon? Will any events/items I missed be obtainable still, do they still run stuff like that?

Also, is it worth me getting the Paid DLC add on?
You will still get the items, the events are all the same every year except for May Day I think which alternates two different mazes between years with a different price for each one.
But IIRC you haven’t missed out on any items from events

The DLC is excellent I think, depends if you like the idea of decorating a lot of houses but it’s very good if you are into that.
It’s also free if you have the expansion pass if you have that.
I would say wait to see if you like the game before buying it though because you can’t access the dlc until a certain event happens on your island, so need to buy it straight away

You will still get the items, the events are all the same every year except for May Day I think which alternates two different mazes between years with a different price for each one.
But IIRC you haven’t missed out on any items from events

The DLC is excellent I think, depends if you like the idea of decorating a lot of houses but it’s very good if you are into that.
It’s also free if you have the expansion pass if you have that.
I would say wait to see if you like the game before buying it though because you can’t access the dlc until a certain event happens on your island, so need to buy it straight away

Nice, I think I might fire it up then and give it a try!

October to December is the busiest and best time of year.

Halloween through October, growing the pumpkin patch, using the harvest to get the island into the mood culminating in the big day.

Then it's straight into mush season in November with maple leaf time in the latter part of the month and Turkey Day, which is maybe my favourite event what with all the villagers gathered in the plazas eager to try Franklin's cooking.

Then December and the snow and the Toy Day season with the same exciting preparation for the big day. Preparing the Toy Day fair using the festive set and the plaza furniture is my favourite big goal of the year.

Started playing and yep, I can see why people get into the loop of this. Very wholesome game, quite addictive actually and I didn’t realise I’d actually been playing it for almost 2 hours!

Looking forward to seeing those events unfold over the rest of the year.

I really want to play the GC version again cause I enjoyed how "small" it felt. No matter how much the series has added none of the game have really matched the amount of connection you have with your villagers and really the village itself. Maybe that's my nostalgia speaking.

Animal Crossing will always be incredibly important to me considering it has changed my life more than anything else from Nintendo—and that’s saying something considering Nintendo has massively impacted my life in more than a few ways—since it was via Animal Crossing (specifically Wild World) that I met my partner.

That said, it’s hard for me to choose a favorite Animal Crossing game… In terms of new features, improvements, and such, sure, New Horizons kinda wins by default (even if it is missing some notable stuff from past games), and obviously Wild World has the most sentimental value to me, but each generation of Animal Crossing has a distinct feel to it—and Animal Crossing is a series that is very much about the feel—which makes it difficult to rank the games against each other.

Where’s Dōbutsu no Mori, Dōbutsu no Mori+, and Dōbutsu no Mori e+ in the poll, though?!
Also, I must say, I absolutely hate it when people refer to the GCN Animal Crossing as “Population Growing”—that’s a tagline, not a subtitle! That’d be like calling a Pokémon game “Gotta Catch ‘em All!”—please don’t. >.> lol

It exists! I'll be using this thread extensively from now on.

edit: reposting from the Switch 2 thread

New Horizons personality tier list

S: Cranky, Sisterly
A: Normal, Peppy, Snooty
B: Smug
C: Jock
D: Lazy

Cranky is something totally new and I love it. Dobie was always my favorite neighbor in New Horizons because his design and the new cool old man personality worked so well.

Sisterly was great in New Leaf and is great here. This archetype is absolutely essential.

Normal is quite good. There's an amusing number of quirks for a type called "normal" but I like that.

Peppy is totally obnoxious and exhausting but I'm into that. I think it's a good idea realized well but I think it too appreciably diverged from the old personality.

Snooty is a nice mild flavor, complementing the other changes well. I don't have many thoughts on this one.

Smug is fine I suppose but a significant downgrade from past games. It's supposed to be an annoying archetype and it definitely succeeds in that.

Jock is kind of bad in New Horizons. It's dull, one-note, and not even really convincingly fitness-obsessed.

Lazy is totally horrible in New Horizons, which is a shame when it has so many great villager designs and used to be so balanced. The archetype has devolved into talking about eating, bugs, or eating bugs. They seem genuinely unwell at times which makes me a bit uncomfortable. It's by far the worst archetype in the game.

As for changes, I think Lazy should return to first gen writing outright, Jocks should be fleshed out, and two more personalities added.

As I said in an earlier post the new Cranky should be ascended to its own type, taking the most fitting designs with it, while Cranky is rewritten to be an actually irritable person. As much as I love the GameCube Treehouse localization, I think @Magic-Man is right that there isn't really any merit to direct insults in the game. However, I think a generally irritable and solitary person, especially one who opens up to the player over time, could be realized quite charmingly.

In a similar vein, the new female archetype should be a somewhat moody and quiet type who pushes the player away at first and generally prefers to spend time alone regardless. I think that in addition to new designs this could inherit the most fitting designs from both Snooty and Normal, though primarily the former.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts! Also, we should have an Animal Crossing ST. If there isn't one already I call informal dibs.

It's a shame how watered down both lazy and jock personalities were in New Horizons, I feel most of the personality types are extremely one note nowadays but those two especially. Some of my favourite villagers from previous games are lazy and jock personalities which is unfortunate

I enjoy the cranky personality but I'm not really a fan of how it's been reduced to just "older man" as there's many cranky villagers whom I feel don't really fit the bill, age wise. I do appreciate the variety though

But regarding new personality types, I'm not sure if there's a need for it. I've had this idea for a while but I would instead prefer if they introduced secondary types to the existing villagers. This already exists somewhat in New Horizons but it's so minor that it's completely inconsequential lol. I would suggest bringing over the "essences" from Pocket Camp, so you could have a villager with a jock personality and historical essence for example

It exists! I'll be using this thread extensively from now on.

I've been meaning to post here more often as I love discussing the series more in-depth but I feel it's quite niche as most people enjoy Animal Crossing very casually compared to other franchises lol. Hopefully when the next game is closer there'll be more to discuss

LEGO Animal Crossing release day

The Animal Crossing Lego series releases today!​

Now available to purchase on Amazon or at your local retailer
77049.png

Isabelle's House Visit​

77047.png

Bunnie's Island Tour​

77046.png

Julian's Birthday Party​

77048.png

Kapp'n's Island Boat Tour​

77050.png

Nook's Cranny & Rosie's House

I’m at the 800 hour mark but am going to be starting a new save file this month and using this ST as a log for it. Maybe there will be more discussion in here.

Last edited:
I have acquired the LEGO sets

I'll be building them tonight and sharing my thoughts

Jealous and really interested in your thoughts. My wife works at a legoland play center and can get them on a discount, but we have to wait a whole month before that. Hopefully they're well stocked!

I named my new island and started it a couple of weeks ago (maybe one week ago): Mossflower (IYKYK).
I'm taking a bit slow? I did however visit a treasure island so that I can get a bunch of bells because I don't like grinding for them (especially since I know what I want my island to be and I've been playing this game for 800+ hours).

But I'm not time traveling, so I don't burn myself out. Right now my focus is to get an island in a design/state that I like and then start doing the Home Paradise content.

I have acquired the LEGO sets

I'll be building them tonight and sharing my thoughts
I wonder if there'll be any 18+ sets in the future. I would like to have a big sized Nook's Cranny or the villagers trophy from New Leaf/Gamecube.

I wonder if there'll be any 18+ sets in the future. I would like to have a big sized Nook's Cranny or the villagers trophy from New Leaf/Gamecube.
I think the museum could be an 18+ set but still be (nominally) compatible with the module system and with an open back

I should probably check on my new horizons villagers, they must think I’m dead since it’s been over a year and a half since I last played

Happy 4-year anniversary to Animal Crossing: New Horizons!! 🥳

I made/redubbed over this mock travel ad for my own island in the game.
I hope it's cute and entertaining--as well as worthy of sharing! :X

Back
Top Bottom